Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Z3phy

Resale 4Rm Flat In Pasir Ris

Hi all

just wanna share our journey, get some comments/criticism (we are open to that too!), and help others in their reno journey as well. :dancingqueen:

the DEn: Pasir Ris 4 room flat 104sqm (corridor unit) :sport-smiley-018:

I think we sent out more than 15 emails but only met up with 9.

List of contractors we met:

-Ideal House (no news after meet up)

-Adecor (workmanship wasnt up to my expectation; but very prompt otherwise)

-Impress21 (workmanship is ok; quote was competitive)

-Koncept Design (excellent workmanship; 40% higher than average quotation)

-Sq2 Design (no news; kept changing our ideas hence not wat we want)

-ID Note (workmanship is ok; competitive quote)

-DX Interior (workmanship is ok; competitive quote)

-*** (bad reviews online; no quotes sent after meetup)

-A&D (no feel; no follow up)

It was a tedious and tiring journey thus far.... and i believe it's just the beginning. :jawdrop:

Edited by Z3phy

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

:yamseng:

Hihi! I've yet to get the keys. (1 Mar 2013 i believe)

I'll put up my floor plan once i find out how to work out the photobucket thingy.

Testing now!

FloorPlan_zps953db281.jpg

And it worked! so up next will be my ugly drawing.... please bear with it.

The initial plan

FloorPlanwithinitialrequirements_zpsaab7e8a1.jpg

Edited by Z3phy

The previous owner has hacked a portion of the wall up to the structure beam between bedroom 2 and master bedroom and has also sealed up the door for the master bedroom. The flooring for the bedrooms and living room is currently broken marble.

Things we wanna do (in addition to the initial plan)

Living Room

1. to hack off existing floor tiles and have the flooring as concrete screed (I am aware of the cracklines issue)

2. to pebble wash the entrance area and to construct a kerb so that the dirt from the shoes is not brought into the house. Idea scrapped.

3. to build a half height by 7ft shoe cabinet along the kerb. against the window.

4. to build a full height display cabinet (glass doors) as indicated in the design

5. to build a suspended console with wall feature for TV Thinking of doing a brick feature wall (stucco)

Bedrooms and storeroom

1. all bedrooms and storeroom to overlay with vinyl flooring (i think hacking costs can be saved from here)

2. to construct a glass-sliding door with gypsum partition in between main bedroom and bedroom 2

3. to build a featured wall as headboard for bed (also to cover up the structured beam)

4. to build a 13ft sliding door wardrobe in main bedroom >>change to casement

5. to build a study table cum shelving with settee as per design provided

6. to build a sliding door wardrobe in bedroom 3 >> change to casement

Kitchen and toilets

1. to hack all existing floor and wall tiles

2. to provide and supply floor and wall tiles for kitchen (no wall tiles) and toilets

3. to hack toilet at kitchen area and move the existing toilet wall as per indicated

4. to hack 1/2 wall in between 2 toilets to make way for a bigger toilet

5. to provide hollow block partition and glass sliding door for in between kitchen cabinet and washing machine area

6. base for fridge, cabinets, washing machine

7. to build a 2ft full height kitchen cabinet

8. to build 8 ft top and bottom kitchen cabinets (total 16 ft) as well as 8ft quartz top

9. to build a 3ft by 6 ft island with quartz top for ceramic hob and oven as well as dining area

:deal:

So based on these requirements, the quotations we got ranged from $39k to $76k, averaging at $50k.

Edited by Z3phy

You are doing fine...what block is this? I'm at 700+.... :thumbs up:

when i was looking ard for a flat... there were a few 700+ selling at sky high prices!

i'm at 500+ =)

:sport-smiley-018:

And the process continues...

Shortlisted 3: ID Note, Impress21 and DX Interior

DX interior does not do cement screeding, but we were ok to use "cement-like" tiles as substitute. Issue was, I was not so keen on his "couldnt care less" outlook. Maybe it's just his mannerism. I'm shallow like that. :bleah: Does provide some ideas for us to mull over.

Impress21 was very laidback. Hardly provide alternatives, just accepting everything we planned. Fine.. but i'm afraid carpentry problems might arise in future. The guy serving us was not the boss, wich prbably explains why. My fren did engage them before but dealt with the boss (Henry) directly. Was a breeze.

Went to Jurong to see ID Note's workmanship. Nice. He appeared honest and keen. Encouraged us to scrap some of our flowery ideas to save money. Most responsive of all the contractors.

:good: We're definitely leaning towards ID Note.

I was wondering if anyone could help me decide which idea to use...

Please once again bear with my horrendous drawing. (i'm no artist as you can tell)

KitchendiningAorB_zpsede9eb28.jpg

Which will you choose?

Bar top height or normal dining table height?

Some assumptions:

1. The cooker hob is same height in both pictures

2. The dining table is against the wall, facing the living room.

3. Built in over below cooker hob

4. It's hollow below the dining table. (is it better hollow?)

5. pls ignore the chairs in the picture.

6. No children or elderly living in the hse.

7. Do not intend to sell this place.. living long term.

10/1/2013 - anyone any idea?

Edited by Z3phy

:sport-smiley-018:

And the process continues...

Shortlisted 3: ID Note, Impress21 and DX Interior

DX interior does not do cement screeding, but we were ok to use "cement-like" tiles as substitute. Issue was, I was not so keen on his "couldnt care less" outlook. Maybe it's just his mannerism. I'm shallow like that. :bleah: Does provide some ideas for us to mull over.

Impress21 was very laidback. Hardly provide alternatives, just accepting everything we planned. Fine.. but i'm afraid carpentry problems might arise in future. The guy serving us was not the boss, wich prbably explains why. My fren did engage them before but dealt with the boss (Henry) directly. Was a breeze.

Went to Jurong to see ID Note's workmanship. Nice. He appeared honest and keen. Encouraged us to scrap some of our flowery ideas to save money. Most responsive of all the contractors.

:good: We're definitely leaning towards ID Note.

Selecting of an ID is always a tiring process but its worth it. It will save u alot of hassle durin the reno period.

If you still not decide on your ID, maybe you can get a quote from the ID whom i have engaged. Im happy with his service thus far.

Selecting of an ID is always a tiring process but its worth it. It will save u alot of hassle durin the reno period.

If you still not decide on your ID, maybe you can get a quote from the ID whom i have engaged. Im happy with his service thus far.

Who did you engage, if i may ask?

I have pm u

Got it!

thanks... it's really tiring. zz We're still in negotiation with ID Note and if all goes well, it's likely i'll go along with him.

:P

Thanks for the recommendation.

But i guess it's ID Note for now. Will keep for future reference!

Anyway, we have no access to the flat as yet, probably arranging with the previous owner to view again soon! :sport-smiley-018: *i love this icon. lol

Actually the flat's been empty for few years. No one's living in it but they refused to let us have the keys early. I wonder why. =(

:dancingqueen:

Today is the first appointment.

Asked the previous owners if i could go over on 12 Jan for some photo taking and measuring.

They agreed! so excited..

so wait for my pre reno photos. :sport-smiley-018:

Who did you engage, if i may ask?

Hi

Personally , I feel if you have not signed the dotted line you could take your time to make the selection. But congrates on finalising your ID. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to your renovation pixs.