Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

On 10/1/2016 at 10:21 PM, yoongf said:

There is really no need for an architect to supervise the construction process. Architects are for authority submissions and the tender. Once a competent design and build contractor is appointed, the original architect involvement is not necessary.

Precisely!  after the whole debacle with that selfish architect, we let our lawyers (still ongoing...!) and the BOA sort him out and left the rest of the construction and designing process to our brilliant Design and Build Team who has been responsible and exemplary in every way.  

PM me if you want more info.  

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Rajendran was fined $42,000 last year. (BCA-000051/52/55/58-MSC-2013)

Now a new case has been filed.(2016)

An elderly retired couple have lost all of their savings by paying Rajendram $180,000.00 down-payment.

to renovate their 30years old home in Sing Avenue.(actual costs only $30,000.00)

As usual, without BCA permit, he breaks everything and is demanding more money to complete the job,

since the elderly couple cannot pay, he has abandoned the project.

Police report and complain to BCA has been lodged.

This time he is going to jail for sure!

• Like 1

On 11/7/2016 at 10:59 PM, RedBull7788 said:

Hi all,

another ID/contractor to avoid is Luxur Design - see my post on this topic but for everyone's convenience, I shall repost it below:-

*** LUXUR DESIGN *** - BEWARE of this ID firm

I had a VERY BAD experience with this ID firm – sorry this post is going to be lengthy.

They are known as Luxur Design now, however they used to operate under the names of Luxur ID and Luxur Living  and the directors are bf/gf couple – Alan NEO (NEO Kian Choon) and Beam KER (KER Hui Beam) - google "Beam Ker" and her photo will appear (she is the one with the wide squarish rimmed spectacles)

In 2013, we hired these 2 Luxur companies as main contractor and ID for our private property rebuilding project. However, barely 1 month after the handover, we identified numerous and extensive defects in our property – car porch and balconies were leaking, warped parquet flooring, yellow patches in the marble flooring, doors which could not shut properly (just to name a few).  We repeatedly requested Luxur to effect the repairs, which they were contractually bound to do during the 1 year defect liability period, however they repeatedly refused to, giving the reasoning that we were just layman and that the defects that we identified were actually not defects and just “slight variations” to the completed works.

After 2 months of “discussion”, Luxur suggested that we hire a certified building surveyor to independently ascertain if the defects we identified were in fact defects and the “losing” party would be liable for footing the fees of the surveyor. We agreed and went ahead to hire not 1, but 2 building surveyor companies whom both agreed that they were indeed defects due to extensive lack of waterproofing and generally very poor workmanship. They also identified a new defect – the façade tiles were debonded and not properly installed because cement was applied only to the edges of the tiles, but not to the middle portion of the tiles, which meant the tiles were in danger of detaching and falling off …….

Despite this, Luxur not only went back on its words of footing the surveyor’s fees, but continued to refuse to rectify the defects. After a deadlock of 8 months during which Alan Neo repeatedly challenged and taunted us by saying things like " sue me then" and " see you in court", we had no choice but to hire a 3rd party contractor to do the repairs. Together with my heavily pregnant wife and 4 year old, we had to move out for 5 months while the defects were rectified. To give an idea of how extensive the defects were, the rectification cost came up to 40% of the original contract sum contracted with Luxur.

It has also come to our knowledge that they have allegedly refused to make full payments for completed works to at least 2 of their subcontractors, and instead apparently misrepresented to the subcontractors that we had not paid them, while in actual fact we had already paid them 95% of the contract sums.

In early 2016, we decided to sue Luxur ID and Luxur Living. However, the directors of Luxur did not respond to the High Court orders, and instead Beam Ker withdrew her directorship from Luxur ID and Luxur Living, and proceeded to set up a new company named Luxur Design which operates out of the same office premises as Luxur ID and Luxur Living and with the same staff.  They also ignored the High Court judgement which was ruled in our favour. This new company Luxur Design was set up so that they could move all their business (and I am pretty certain, all their assets as well) to this new company and conduct their business as usual in the name of this new company . At the same time they could evade the judgement ruled by the High Court against Luxur ID and Luxur Living. This is because the company law in SG stipulates that they being private limited companies, are only liable for an amount up to its available assets but as we can probably guess by now, these 2 Luxur companies are essentially now just shell companies with little/no assets. So even though the High Court judgement has ruled that Luxur ID and Luxur Living were liable to pay us the damages, it was effectively a paper judgement as there was no real likelihood of getting any money out of these 2 Luxur companies.

On hindsight, I realise the reason Luxur challenged and taunted us to sue them was because they had no intention right from the beginning to fulfil their contractual obligations, and had in fact already planned their "exit/escape strategy".  But of course when we finally decided to take them to task and took up their "challenge", their response (or rather, lack of) was really pathetic and laughable....

The new company Luxur Design is currently taking on quite a few retail/commercial projects and is advertising itself quite aggressively in ID magazine publications, ID apps like Houzz, Instagram, Facebook etc and also taking part in awards like the Design Excellence Award and Asia Pacific Awards.

There are ID firms who advertise themselves as AWARD WINNING - my opinion is to treat this with a large pinch of salt. From my experience, organisers of these so called awards are very much driven by commercial considerations and do not vet the background of these firms. Just because an ID firm wins a so called "award" does NOT necessarily mean that it is a reputable, ethical and responsible firm which delivers good workmanship, in fact the opposite might just be true, as is the case here.

We hear of all these unfortunate and traumatising stories all the time, however the reality is that the current laws, competent authorities and industry associations are just not doing enough to protect consumers like us, whose only " mistake" is to entrust our homes/commercial projects to the wrong ID/contractor. And this is exactly why these conscience lacking ID/contractors are emboldened in behaving in this deplorable manner, because they too know fully well that there is no/little chance of them suffering any negative repercussions. Therefore I strongly believe that we consumers should band together and take things into our own hands by doing whatever we can to prevent these rogue ID/contractors from getting another chance to mess up yet another person's life .....

Please feel free to PM me if you would like more details on this. I will be happy to share the High Court case files and also the details of Alan Neo and Beam Ker. 

Thanks for your lengthy post and sharing your first hand experience. I will definitely stay away from this ID. So scary and traumatising. 

On 11/16/2016 at 4:28 PM, cancan83 said:

Thanks for your lengthy post and sharing your first hand experience. I will definitely stay away from this ID. So scary and traumatising. 

Cancan83,

you are very much welcomed. Please share this with your friends and families so that they know to avoid Luxur Design, Alan Neo and Beam Ker. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2016 at 11:12 PM, RedBull7788 said:

Cancan83,

you are very much welcomed. Please share this with your friends and families so that they know to avoid Luxur Design, Alan Neo and Beam Ker. 

certainly. Thank you again

On 11/21/2016 at 1:29 PM, hototay said:

thanks for this, you're doing great public service by sharing your experience.

Hototay,

you are welcomed, please pay it forward by sharing with your friends who might be looking around for ID firms

• Like 1

On 12/8/2016 at 10:18 PM, RedBull7788 said:

Green Hornet,

my pleasure, please pay it forward by warning your friends too

Will do. Updating this post blog with the people in the community experienxe will help as well. 

On 10/1/2016 at 10:21 PM, yoongf said:

There is really no need for an architect to supervise the construction process. Architects are for authority submissions and the tender. Once a competent design and build contractor is appointed, the original architect involvement is not necessary.

TRUE!   We're very happy ( and a lot more relaxed now ... sometimes luck is necessary in these things ... ) to have found all these posts in renotalk to eventually "meet" our designers+builder for our recon.  haha...... we used to always bring them korean snacks and tabao from the tiong bahru market (the Creative Director is a korean lady from italy! ) when we visit their studio for our meetings.  As i have mentioned before, we are very thankful and don't take them for granted at all because we have seen the worse or worst in this building world -- re: our case against that st&pid id#ot (PM me for updates on this!).  

But at least now everything is peaceful and we are very house proud with the current outcome.  We've also had "inspired & cost savings" experiences with the their project manager and architect as they are very experience men who has helped us save $ along the way through their use of intelligent materials to achieve our visual expectations which is to build a modern contemporary designed "villa" in the tropics.   

Good Luck and i wish everyone a continued positive journey on their builds!  

Edited by yarwood

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 12:53 AM, yarwood said:

TRUE!   We're very happy ( and a lot more relaxed now ... sometimes luck is necessary in these things ... ) to have found all these posts in renotalk to eventually "meet" our designers+builder for our recon.  haha...... we used to always bring them korean snacks and tabao from the tiong bahru market (the Creative Director is a korean lady from italy! ) when we visit their studio for our meetings.  As i have mentioned before, we are very thankful and don't take them for granted at all because we have seen the worse or worst in this building world -- re: our case against that st&pid id#ot (PM me for updates on this!).  

But at least now everything is peaceful and we are very house proud with the current outcome.  We've also had "inspired & cost savings" experiences with the their project manager and architect as they are very experience men who has helped us save $ along the way through their use of intelligent materials to achieve our visual expectations which is to build a modern contemporary designed "villa" in the tropics.   

Good Luck and i wish everyone a continued positive journey on their builds!  

Hi!

I am at my wits end with this so called architect (actually suspended but acts as a co-ordinator) who has been dragging his feet with the TOP Inspection submission.

I made the mistake of making full payment to him and he is now giving excuses for the delays.

Are you able to recommend a qualified person to finish with the TOP inspection submission as I intend to sack him.

Thanks

17 hours ago, airman said:

Hi!

I am at my wits end with this so called architect (actually suspended but acts as a co-ordinator) who has been dragging his feet with the TOP Inspection submission.

I made the mistake of making full payment to him and he is now giving excuses for the delays.

Are you able to recommend a qualified person to finish with the TOP inspection submission as I intend to sack him.

Thanks

Find the actual architect who signed off the building plans and get him/her to do the inspection. I'm assuming that your suspended architect is not the one who signed off the plans. alternatively you can try to find the PE who signed off the plans as well and get him/her to do it. If I'm not wrong, the TOP inspection just need a QP (either architect or PE) to apply.

4 hours ago, snoozee said:

Find the actual architect who signed off the building plans and get him/her to do the inspection. I'm assuming that your suspended architect is not the one who signed off the plans. alternatively you can try to find the PE who signed off the plans as well and get him/her to do it. If I'm not wrong, the TOP inspection just need a QP (either architect or PE) to apply.

Hi! Snoozee,

Really appreciate your kind advice.

The reality is that the architect who signed off the building plans has a bo-chup attitude and claimed that he just let this so called co-ordinator to use his name/company for the necessary endorsement and he has nothing to do with the said project.

What is the next course of action should this architect refuses to do the inspection?

Thanks