Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi Ks,

You use Eternity waterproof to do some waterproof injection of your inter floor ceiling leakage a year ago.

Just like to find out has the leak reface or the waterproof still good.

I have the same issues now and would like some advise.

Thanks

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Ks,

You use Eternity waterproof to do some waterproof injection of your inter floor ceiling leakage a year ago.

Just like to find out has the leak reface or the waterproof still good.

I have the same issues now and would like some advise.

Thanks

Hard to tell. The leak at the yard has stopped, but only after the contractor came back 2 to 3 times after it continued to leak. The leak in the room has stopped, but it should be noted that it can take a long time (a year or two) before the leak surfaces. Quite importantly, the contractor was willing to come back to attend the problem after the first round of repairs, and I had paid up.

Hard to tell. The leak at the yard has stopped, but only after the contractor came back 2 to 3 times after it continued to leak. The leak in the room has stopped, but it should be noted that it can take a long time (a year or two) before the leak surfaces. Quite importantly, the contractor was willing to come back to attend the problem after the first round of repairs, and I had paid up.

Thanks for your feedback, I have a quote but warranty is only a year. Its my downstairs neighbour so I don't think they are happy to have their false ceiling open up whenever there is a leak. Have you try waterproof from the top floor to solve this problem, baring hacking the entire bath room to trace the leak.

I see from the photo, eternity uses mainly foreign workers, are they any good?

WOW i love that glass "back-splash" that can see right outside when you cook! So gorgeous! :dribble:

Your kitchen cabinet look fabulous. May I know what material it is & did you encounter any wavy line when you look from an angle?

Thanks for your feedback, I have a quote but warranty is only a year. Its my downstairs neighbour so I don't think they are happy to have their false ceiling open up whenever there is a leak. Have you try waterproof from the top floor to solve this problem, baring hacking the entire bath room to trace the leak.

I see from the photo, eternity uses mainly foreign workers, are they any good?

Indeed the only way to really solve the waterproofing is from upstairs. This means hacking up the floor and lower parts of the wall, and re-waterproofing it. But I had just renovated and moved in, so I was not willing to hack up my master bedroom toilet granite floor. So for me, jet grouting from the bedroom below will suffice. Luckily, it is my own inter-floor seepage. In your case, you may have no choice.

Yes, supervisor local, all other workers foreign. I think you will be hard pressed to find any local worker in this industry. They are all foreign. Only the supervisor is local and even he may be Malaysian. The workers were quite responsible.

Your kitchen cabinet look fabulous. May I know what material it is & did you encounter any wavy line when you look from an angle?

The cabinets are normal wooden customised cabinets. However, instead of using laminate on the panels, some type of very thin clear crystal glass is used. Mine is from OPSH. Their crystal glass is really very clear. You can also get from other contractors but the glass may appear a bit greenish.

It's very nice. But in my opinion, impractical. My friend took out a wine glass accidentally hit the edge of the door, glass now has a tiny chip at the corner. While putting my water bottle, I accidentally hit the edge, another tiny crack line at the edge. My better half likes things perfect. But it is costly to change the entire panel just because of one tiny chip (which you normally cannot notice if I don't tell you but if I tell you, you will be irritated by it every day).

[back to Table of Contents]

Edited by Ks Toh

The cabinets are normal wooden customised cabinets. However, instead of using laminate on the panels, some type of very thin clear crystal glass is used. Mine is from OPSH. Their crystal glass is really very clear. You can also get from other contractors but the glass may appear a bit greenish.

It's very nice. But in my opinion, impractical. My friend took out a wine glass accidentally hit the edge of the door, glass now has a tiny chip at the corner. While putting my water bottle, I accidentally hit the edge, another tiny crack line at the edge. My better half likes things perfect. But it is costly to change the entire panel just because of one tiny chip (which you normally cannot notice if I don't tell you but if I tell you, you will be irritated by it every day).

Thanks! It I know exactly what you mean by noticing it as I know & irritated by it everyday. I heard from my ID such finishing is very expensive but it sure looks good.

Enjoyed reading the blog with lots of technical information, just wish I can put them to better use especially on the IP cameras. I bought a xiaomi xiaoyi recently but gave up with even setting it up after 2 hours.

Now looking at the Dlink IP camera and hOpefuLly it will be easier to set up?

Cooker Hood in Recycling Mode

The normal arrangement is to use the Cooker Hood in Recycling Mode. The exhaust is sucked in by the hood, cleaned by the filters, and discharged at the top of the hood. So basically, the exhaust is discharged back to your kitchen.

22475292939_c9053cf88b_b.jpg

Some house owners box up the top, such that the discharge goes nowhere but somewhere in the cupboard. I think in such cases, the air flow will be impeded, and the hood will not function as well as it should.

Great info. No wonder my contractor advised to make a flip up cabinet which I can open while cooking.

What about chimney hoods? Not that I can change mine now though... Haha!

Enjoyed reading the blog with lots of technical information, just wish I can put them to better use especially on the IP cameras. I bought a xiaomi xiaoyi recently but gave up with even setting it up after 2 hours.

I've used a D Link one (red or blue in the center) and it took us about 15 minutes to set up! :)b

[back to Table of Contents]

I've used a D Link one (red or blue in the center) and it took us about 15 minutes to set up! :)b

Setting up a D-Link IP camera is not too difficult, as long as you can follow instructions. All you need is to identify a location to install the IP camera. This place must have power supply and internet access (wired preferred but wireless acceptable). You connect this camera to your network, register a D-Link account, and register this camera (by its serial number) to your account. You can now access this camera from your mobile phone anywhere. The cameras registered to your account need not be in the same network. One could be at your office, the rest at home.

If you are interested in a D-Link camera and can wait, you might want to wait for Sitex 2015 in December. D-Link normally sells their cameras up to $100 cheaper at the fair. The following is part of their brochure at the September Comex fair.

22898549692_9863046de5_b.jpg

Based on my experience, I recommend the DCS-5222L but if you do not need the pan/tilt/zoom (PTZ) function, then maybe the DCS-942L or DCS-2132L. Prices have dropped tremendously. I think I paid $349 for my DCS-522L. Now the price is less than half what I paid. Remember to buy a 32MB Micro-SD card too. The bigger the capacity, the more videos it can store.

Edited by Ks Toh

Thanks for explanation and advice. Will wait out and as timing should coincide with my renovation completion :)

Dont need a tilt and rotate as want to face it directly at the main door incase of any break in i can get a good clean shot of the person.. haha.. this is the best i can do since without a gate and much prep talk from people around me, i am feeling a little paranoid

Thanks for explanation and advice. Will wait out and as timing should coincide with my renovation completion :)

Dont need a tilt and rotate as want to face it directly at the main door incase of any break in i can get a good clean shot of the person.. haha.. this is the best i can do since without a gate and much prep talk from people around me, i am feeling a little paranoid

Have you considered the digital peephole viewer also then? Can take once people hover around your door. :)

Have you considered the digital peephole viewer also then? Can take once people hover around your door. :)

Advantage of digital peephole viewer is that you can see outside with the door closed. Unless you fix your IP Camera outside your door (which may not be allowed by HDB/MCST), your camera will not be able to see through the door.

Advantage of camera is that you can see anyone within the house. Usually, the camera is fixed in one corner which can capture most of the interior plus entrance. Apart from security, a more important use of cameras is to monitor activities within the house, particularly when you have a pet, young children, old people and/or a helper at home. For digital peephole viewer, I believe it cannot do this.

I am not sure how the digital peephole viewer recording function works. But with the IP camera, you can set it to always record or based on motion or sound activation. I set mine to record if motion is detected. With a 32GB micro SD card, it stores about 1 month's worth of recording. I can remotely access the camera to view live images or retrieve recordings, from my mobile phone or any computer.

Electrical Overloading

qitan asked why the salesman said the power point at the kitchen is insufficient for some models of induction hobs. That got me thinking. Many of us, myself included, can be quite careless when it comes to plugging electrical appliances in to the power points. In today's modern living, few fires are caused by someone accidentally kicking over a kerosene lamp. Many fires are electrical in nature, often caused by electrical overloading. Some insurers may refuse to pay if they investigate and conclude that you had caused the fire by overloading the circuit or switch.

Many people under-provide for electrical points, so they end up using multi-socket adapters and extension cords. How many of you are guilty of this?

22929148726_350d22ab18_o.png

Disclaimer: I am not an electrical engineer and whatever I write is based purely on my general knowledge. Hence, I disclaim all responsibility. Please consult your electrical consultant or websites such as this for reliable information: http://www.dmse.nus.edu.sg/safety/DMSE_Safety_Website/Electrical.htm

The basic formula is Power (P) in watts (W) = Voltage (V) in volts (V) x Current (I) in amperes (A)

Singapore voltage is 230V. The normal 3 pin power socket is only 13A.

Edited by Ks Toh