Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
inthechouse

A Canvas To Our Imagination: Thoreau

i would say 4-5 hr for a system 2, with no aircon ledge. they plan the best route such that there is very little visible length of the trunking.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

1-2 days

i would say 4-5 hr for a system 2, with no aircon ledge. they plan the best route such that there is very little visible length of the trunking.

Thanks for the information!

Just to share this with those who have yet to purchase their kitchen sink. If you're thinking of getting a Blanco granite sink like we did, read this first. Two friends have warned us about this so we decided to go with the good old stainless steel sink. Top mount, 800mm-long single bowl. Will post pix some time later.

Nice gate designs! But I would keep the original gate and give it a fresh coat of paint in a vibrant colour perhaps. :D

Nice gate designs! But I would keep the original gate and give it a fresh coat of paint in a vibrant colour perhaps. :D

We're inclined towards that... But ugh the price quoted is too high. There was a windows contractor who said he would do it for 90 bucks but he went MIA on me.

My ID is painting the gate for us for free, but I don't think he's sanding it down first. Is sanding necessary according to Alan?

vicx1234 : From what I heard from my friend before, it is good to sand it before paint as to getting a better even and smooth look after painting it.

Edited by Songz

vicx1234 : From what I heard from my friend before, it is good to sand it before paint as to getting a better even and smooth look after painting it.

thanks songz, will ask my ID to look into it.

My ID is painting the gate for us for free, but I don't think he's sanding it down first. Is sanding necessary according to Alan?

That's right. Otherwise, there will be an obvious, thick layer of paint. That's what happened to my gate.

thanks for the tip guys! :good:

Had a chat with Alan and an ID-friend. Both said spray-painting is too ex. They can only paint over the gate if I really wish to retain it. I think whoever who did the last paint job didn't do it properly, coz it has bumps and bubbles on it. Looks like it's REALLY gotta go. :unsure:

Some update on electrical. Printed a chart for the workers. Even though we've had a word with the boss, I decided to meet the workers on the morning they started work, so as to brief them again. The boss wasn't there, so they were reliant on the wall markings. It is highly advisable to go through everything with them again. In fact they provided some very practical tips, which I was thankful for.

What you see here was completed in a day. New DB box installed in the storeroom. Extra cost for new positioning: $200-300. Had a slight shock when I saw the funky cover. Turned out it was just a piece of paper they used to wrap the plastic flap. LOL.

Think we overdid it a lil' with the power sockets. We've got 'em littered all over the flat... :huh:

F2DB58BB-C292-4FBB-AAA5-D3F0BD1EC121_zps

The next morning, the aircon guys from Gain City came at 10am. After going through the trunking route, they said they would run it down that wall that was being rectified by Alan (see my earlier posts), because the side was taken up by electrical cables. There was no way I could accept it because it would look really fugly! Anyway the wall wasn't plastered yet so how's that even possible. They then said they could come back again - at the penalty fee of $150. Such a situation calls for the presence of Alan, so I rang him and he said he'd drop by in 45 mins. No protest whatsoever.

An hour later, Alan showed up. He told the workers sternly that they could remove the electrical cables and run whatever that was needed to run alongside the wires, and he will redo the cables later.

Installation ended close to 7pm. The workers did not wrap the fan coils in plastic. When I asked, they said they could come back the next morning to do it. There was no testing of the aircon because the 15A socket wasn't entirely ready. They had kept their extension wire in the van, and the sky was getting dark, there was no lighting, and we all just wanted to get out of there. :blink:

944F0A03-CD7A-4500-B266-85C5F537B6CF_zps

By the way, does anyone know if I can still install blinds at this window? Since the trunking is right next to it??

photo_zps40b6846d.jpg

The next morning, they came back as promised. They touched up some parts of the wall and trunking with plaster, and wrapped the units with plastic. I saw that there was water on the condenser. They said it came from upstairs and there's nothing much I can do about it. I also asked about the PVC water pipe on the bathroom floor. They said I shorten it slightly if I wish. But it has to end close to the floor trap, otherwise it could lead to inter-level leaks (if waterproofing wasn't done properly). I'll have the PVC pipe painted.

DDF72E0C-30C1-4388-A340-CC87A21040C9_zps

That's all now. Painting will commence in a bit. We're busy getting all the lights ready so Alan can arrange for them to be installed before CNY. Source: Ikea, Arc Lighthouse, Chan Huat, Lumiere and Lightings.com.sg. Nothing from Taobao. Our Chinese language skills leaves much to be desired.

We've asked to have a chat with the carpenter before CNY. Alan said ok to that.

Edited by inthechouse

u might have a problem putting up blinds with the trunking in the way. get the curtain maker to do a site measurement & check.

seeing u going thru the electrical and aircon installation processes, i can already feel the stress.... not easy lor.. a lot of surprises along the way