Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
inthechouse

A Canvas To Our Imagination: Thoreau

Thank you both. We are inclined towards iZen too. But it seems the quote Alan quoted us - which we have signed for in the final quote - may no longer be valid. Sorting this out at this very moment.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Have you tried caeserstone? The psf is also around $160 psf

Hi Khng, that's actually out of our budget. :( iQuartz's basic range apparently costs $120.

This quartz thingy has turned out to be quite "leychey". Shall not go into details. But we really hope it can be fixed soon so the surface can be ordered and fabricated, and eventually installed before our move-in date. :huh:

Thank you both. We are inclined towards iZen too. But it seems the quote Alan quoted us - which we have signed for in the final quote - may no longer be valid. Sorting this out at this very moment.

me also chose iZen for my kitchen top. :sport-smiley-018:

Hello claypot, woah, looks like iZen is a popular choice among the many friends here. We shall henceforth focus on that choice! :good:

Good to see your reno progress going along well. Btw, I see that you have a green rubbish chute. Mine's bluish purple. Do you know if there's any way to get rid of that layer or colour? In my current home, there's no extra layer.

Another morning, another day closer to "D-Day". As always, trying to curb the kancheong spider in me, and just wait for Alan to sort out his stuff and get back to me.

Went to Ikea over the weekend and found out that the latest delivery date is tomorrow. -.- My brother shopped there on Feb 8 and the delivery date for him is Feb 22. Go figure.

There was a lady behind me in the Q who told me that she boycotted Ikea for a year after they refused to deliver it on a weekend rather than a weekday. She then refunded every item in her cart and left in a huff. We would've refunded our cart too, and go back a week later, but there ain't no time for that, given how we've not even started packing a single thing. :blink:

Anyway, I bought some plastic sheets to wrap over the assembled furniture so they don't collect too much crap in 7 days. Heh.

Another morning, another day closer to "D-Day". As always, trying to curb the kancheong spider in me, and just wait for Alan to sort out his stuff and get back to me.

Went to Ikea over the weekend and found out that the latest delivery date is tomorrow. -.- My brother shopped there on Feb 8 and the delivery date for him is Feb 22. Go figure.

There was a lady behind me in the Q who told me that she boycotted Ikea for a year after they refused to deliver it on a weekend rather than a weekday. She then refunded every item in her cart and left in a huff. We would've refunded our cart too, and go back a week later, but there ain't no time for that, given how we've not even started packing a single thing. :blink:

Anyway, I bought some plastic sheets to wrap over the assembled furniture so they don't collect too much crap in 7 days. Heh.

How inconsistent! I purchased some ikea stuff two weeks ago and they were only delivered yesterday!

I think after CNY maybe many deliveries so they held it back longer? But really this 3 day delivery policy is such a turn-off, that and the $20 storage per day thing. I've been holding off going to IKEA for 2 weeks to settle the kids' beds because of that. Might go tonight and hope they can send on Monday. I have loads of other stuff which have been delivered to my current house since a month ago, and I need them to assemble it too.

Re solid surface, I'm guessing granite is not an option? We're using black galaxy/imperial black. My mum's house used to have black galaxy counter top and also on the floor! Madness. And she had some bird's eye marble flooring in the living room. So we were very wary of water spills cos sure slip one! Anyway..I digress. So granite not an option?

How inconsistent! I purchased some ikea stuff two weeks ago and they were only delivered yesterday!

Aiyo. I wanted it later and they refused. People who want it earlier end up having to wait so long. Not sure what's going on with the logistics company they use. Ugh.

I think after CNY maybe many deliveries so they held it back longer? But really this 3 day delivery policy is such a turn-off, that and the $20 storage per day thing. I've been holding off going to IKEA for 2 weeks to settle the kids' beds because of that. Might go tonight and hope they can send on Monday. I have loads of other stuff which have been delivered to my current house since a month ago, and I need them to assemble it too.

Re solid surface, I'm guessing granite is not an option? We're using black galaxy/imperial black. My mum's house used to have black galaxy counter top and also on the floor! Madness. And she had some bird's eye marble flooring in the living room. So we were very wary of water spills cos sure slip one! Anyway..I digress. So granite not an option?

I suggest you ring Ikea and press the option for home deliveries to find out what's the available delivery date range before heading down. If I had done so, I wouldn't have to have the stuff delivered before the flat is ready. :dunno: At the delivery counter, I asked if it was possible for them to deliver first and assemble on another occasion. Of course can! At an extra fee of $35! So no thanks.

Granite costs more than quartz right? I guess not. Though I've come across many rave reviews of Black Galaxy. By the way, I did a scratch test on iQuartz's grey and black samples last night. Hehe. Check this out. It's the least obvious on the non-reflective grey (Metal Alumnico), followed by the reflective grey (iZen), the messy-patterned grey/black (Nutty Granola) and finally, the black (iGalaxy). Obviously nobody's gonna deliberately scratch their surface with a pair of scissors everyday. We were just bored and curious that's all (while waiting for Alan's update). :sport-smiley-004:

F82E3983-5C69-4F50-A22B-4BEA7580A854_zps

there will be gaps but they are suppose to touch it up. but i'm not sure what's the right method to conceal them though. but i do remember them using plaster or paint.

here's mine

1780893_10151637298028078_1344607799_n.j

Just wanna share with fellow noobs about this "gap" issue. Alan has got the painters to seal up the gaps with silicon, but he said it was done as a favour, coz "by right", it's not their job / not included in the quote. So before you sign on the dotted line, do ask about this ok? Alan also said that resale home buyers who do not opt to install false ceiling/L-box/cove lights should not complain about the gaps caused by uneven ceilings, because it's all structural defects. I wish he told us this earlier. But nevermind, coz we did not want to have to clean the difficult to reach parts of the L-box and cove lights, nor did we want to have our ceiling lowered by xx cm.

Overall, my reflections are that it's really quite a pain to overhaul a resale flat - if you had purchased it in a rather "original" condition. But we all have our own reasons for buying resale, yeah? If you're completely and absolutely green and clueless, try to get some help from friends and relatives right from the beginning. Buy them gifts and/or meals if you have to!

Just wanna share with fellow noobs about this "gap" issue. Alan has got the painters to seal up the gaps with silicon, but he said it was done as a favour, coz "by right", it's not their job / not included in the quote. So before you sign on the dotted line, do ask about this ok? Alan also said that resale home buyers who do not opt to install false ceiling/L-box/cove lights should not complain about the gaps caused by uneven ceilings, because it's all structural defects. I wish he told us this earlier. But nevermind, coz we did not want to have to clean the difficult to reach parts of the L-box and cove lights, nor did we want to have our ceiling lowered by xx cm.

Overall, my reflections are that it's really quite a pain to overhaul a resale flat - if you had purchased it in a rather "original" condition. But we all have our own reasons for buying resale, yeah? If you're completely and absolutely green and clueless, try to get some help from friends and relatives right from the beginning. Buy them gifts and/or meals if you have to!

Thanks for the information, will check with the ID/contractor i chose when I get the flat.

Reason i get a resale is cause I don want to fight over the 2 room flat with so many people.

Another main reason is cause resale is much more bigger than the current flat. Not to forget the location and the gap between flats are ~

Anyway from what I see, Alan services is really not that good anymore as past praises may have gotten to his head ...

Glad that it have been solved anyway

(*Just my 2 cents worth)

Thanks for the information, will check with the ID/contractor i chose when I get the flat.

Reason i get a resale is cause I don want to fight over the 2 room flat with so many people.

Another main reason is cause resale is much more bigger than the current flat. Not to forget the location and the gap between flats are ~

Anyway from what I see, Alan services is really not that good anymore as past praises may have gotten to his head ...

Glad that it have been solved anyway

(*Just my 2 cents worth)

Perfectly valid reasons for buying resale, Songz. Unless we're second-time buyers, or working in the engineering/building & construction field, we won't know much of what to expect. We thought that hacking off everything and rebuilding everything will solve the issues... and reno will sort of hide some of the flaws. But boyyyyy... were we wrongggg...

Actually hacking and rebuilding should solve a lot issues.

However I think there are sure to have some minor issues here and there, but I believe ID/contractor should help us to retify when we encounter them (This should be their job not ? )

Anyway I think Alan have not been a good contractor for you and some others, however its more important now to try and solve all the outstanding issue and have your perfect home ^^

From another angle, a house which you have spend so much effort and etc, you should really appreciate it as you know how much effort, time and money you spend to get that house to what it is now. Also always remember that there are some others whom may have even more worse ID/contractors (From the bright side)

Yeah.. for example.. some of the cementing above the new skirtings as well as around the new door frames was not done properly. That should be within their control, and not HDB's fault? Sometimes it does seem quite dejecting. Like, we should've waited for a brand new flat, so that reno will be easier. And cheaper! LOL. Dunno. No point looking back also. Just gotta try and not look at the awful bits (some are courtesy of HDB).

Hello claypot, woah, looks like iZen is a popular choice among the many friends here. We shall henceforth focus on that choice! :good:

Good to see your reno progress going along well. Btw, I see that you have a green rubbish chute. Mine's bluish purple. Do you know if there's any way to get rid of that layer or colour? In my current home, there's no extra layer.

hmm...i thought its a sticker that can be peeled off? hmm...once i'm back from India, i shall go take a look.

btw, thanks for the scratch test on the iquartz. good to know that its the 2nd less obvious. Actually, the iZen is chosen by my ID ( i didn't have any preference so trust the ID's choice).