Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
inthechouse

A Canvas To Our Imagination: Thoreau

Other updates.. Went to pick up a few items at Ikea Alexandra because they are OOS at Tampines, and boy, was the experience a wayyy better one. Enough staff to attend to your needs, self-serve payment counters to cut Q time, items picked up/out for you, and plenty of taxis avaiable. Screw Ikea Tampines.

And.. the long-awaited nyatoh sliding door has arrived. Judge for yourself if it's the correct door. To think that Alan wanted to have it varnished in this state. I don't know. Should I keep it? It's really not what I ordered, although Alan said his door supplier confirmed that it is Model CM 19B. Someone here had PM-ed me recently about a similar experience. The door he ordered via Alan turned out to be something very different. If you're newly signed on with Alan, I suggest you engage your own door supplier. Outsource it, please.

7A2F73BC-FD95-433C-876C-A75E78DAE915_zps

8111DBD6-38D7-4687-AB99-E2FA568E0C4B_zps

5556974F-C174-4DBF-A5BA-369960565926_zps

How much does a nyatoh sliding door cost?

is it alot more expensive than a normal nyatoh hinged door?

Thanks

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Seems like the sub con you get to rectify seems like a good deal ^^

Hope to see the end results

For the door, I think the main thing is if you like it else change it (Not on your expense of cause) ...

How much does a nyatoh sliding door cost?

is it alot more expensive than a normal nyatoh hinged door?

Thanks

Hi PTopaz, I was quoted $900. Apparently the sliding tracks are costly. But if you think about it, a normal hinged nyatoh door plus frame may also cost around the same.

Seems like the sub con you get to rectify seems like a good deal ^^

Hope to see the end results

For the door, I think the main thing is if you like it else change it (Not on your expense of cause) ...

Hi Songz, thanks, will definitely post the end results here. As for the door, we're still mulling over it. The machine-carved lines are really unsightly. If it can't look the same as the catalogue, at least a plain one will look neater than this. I'm just afraid they proceed to varnish it with all that chipped bits in the lines. We'll never know until it's done.

Anyway... FINAL WEEK!!! Can't wait for everything to be over!

I think the craved lines are not well done with unevenness as per picture above.

Think you can tell Alan you will accept the door only if the craved lines are properly done (removing the chip bits and sand to smoother texture).

Not sure why that catalogue photo disappeared but here it is again:

photo_zpsbccb5eee.jpg

Not sure why that catalogue photo disappeared but here it is again:

photo_zpsbccb5eee.jpg

Love your sliding nyatoh doors, but my FC would probably shoot it down if its $900 a pop.

For the doors, I also got nyatoh and I got the same catalog as u. I believe the catalog colours are not accurate. Thankfully I was there when they install my bedroom doors. I was able to choose between a few shades of brown.

It looks different because, according to them, the wood itself is already coloured and when painted, if will look different. That said, we should have been informed earlier.

For the "grout", mine is also like that... Sigh..

I think the craved lines are not well done with unevenness as per picture above.

Think you can tell Alan you will accept the door only if the craved lines are properly done (removing the chip bits and sand to smoother texture).

Alan's door supplier came down personally to explain to me that the door is correct. LOL. He said there is no "ao tu bu ping" surface - the local factories that supply doors to him do not do such doors. He + Alan both assured me (at different times) that they will clean up the lines before varnishing. I am really tempted to request for it to be switched to one without lines. But what would happen to this piece of tree? :( *tree-hugger*

Love your sliding nyatoh doors, but my FC would probably shoot it down if its $900 a pop.

Hi bert7332, do check with the door suppliers/factories. You may be able to get a cheaper price if you go direct/outsource it? I highly recommend that you do.

For the doors, I also got nyatoh and I got the same catalog as u. I believe the catalog colours are not accurate. Thankfully I was there when they install my bedroom doors. I was able to choose between a few shades of brown.

It looks different because, according to them, the wood itself is already coloured and when painted, if will look different. That said, we should have been informed earlier.

For the "grout", mine is also like that... Sigh..

Woah you meant they took a long a few different doors? Or did they have a catalogue with wood blocks for you to choose? Yes, we should've been informed clearly from the start. I mean, like I said, it took so many ding dong back and forth, PLUS a visit from the door supplier himself, for me to find out the catalogue is truly not accurate? And that they don't supply the "uneven surface" door I was looking for? Hilarious.

Eh the grout thing, good if you yourself or you have someone to scrape it all off. I can't and don't, so I have to pay someone to do it (along with scrubbing off all the extra plastering on my window frames, thanks to the trigger-happy plastering team). :no:

Hi PTopaz, I was quoted $900. Apparently the sliding tracks are costly. But if you think about it, a normal hinged nyatoh door plus frame may also cost around the same.

Hi Songz, thanks, will definitely post the end results here. As for the door, we're still mulling over it. The machine-carved lines are really unsightly. If it can't look the same as the catalogue, at least a plain one will look neater than this. I'm just afraid they proceed to varnish it with all that chipped bits in the lines. We'll never know until it's done.

Anyway... FINAL WEEK!!! Can't wait for everything to be over!

Hi InTheHouse,

Do we need special door frames for sliding doors like yours?

I was thinking of using the existing frame...not sure if its possible. (I did not opt for doors for my new flat)

Been following the Home Furnishing forum since we started our furniture hunt proper. Strange customer service recovery, this one. http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/64311-bad-experience-with-online-furniture-shop-castlery/

Oh, and, ugh, guess what? The Smart/HD TV we bought at Mega Discount is no longer available. Paid a deposit in Dec during their LG sale promo, was assured endleslly by their sales guy that we WILL get a set, even if our delivery date is much later (Feb). He also said that if we don't, they will replace our order a same or better model at no charge. So 2 weeks ago we went to settle the remaining payment, and nobody told us anything. Today, 3 days to the delivery date, they called to say that the set (LG 47" 6620) is no longer availble as they are all "recalled" due to lack of some compulsory HD tuner which the "Singapore government" orders to be compulsory. What does that even mean? So the solution? They will offer a higher end model (7400) at $300 extra. Wait a min. A quick Google search shows that the difference between these 2 models are minimal, and we don't even need the better specs. Sigh. #sian #isawthiscoming #siaoliao

Hi InTheHouse,

Do we need special door frames for sliding doors like yours?

I was thinking of using the existing frame...not sure if its possible. (I did not opt for doors for my new flat)

There isn't a frame where this door sits. It's newly hacked doorway and for sliding doors, all you need is a top track. But if you have an existing door frame, I don't see why you can't still use a sliding door, so long as there is space above for the tracks. There are no hinges involved.

There isn't a frame where this door sits. It's newly hacked doorway and for sliding doors, all you need is a top track. But if you have an existing door frame, I don't see why you can't still use a sliding door, so long as there is space above for the tracks. There are no hinges involved.

Cool! but if it's $900, i need to first cut off my arm :)

but it's really nice...it's really worth it...

i'll go for it if it's like $600...hehz

I would like to warn all fellow sotongs about such things. Today, the team from VYY/Swing Slide Door came by to install one bathroom door. As I was occupied with Alan's subcons when they were done, the foreign worker just said to me that they were done and that they were leaving. The Chinese uncle was already nowhere to be seen. After all the recent drama with everything, of course I had to check the door and walls first before I let him leave right? So I told him, "wait, please come with me to check." The door itself is fine. They even stuck a sticker near the lock to advice your guests how to open/close the door properly (since everybody is so used to handling bifolds). But guess what I found? A hole in my wall and bits of cement on the floor. To think that they didn't even bother informing me about it. But that's not the best part yeah. What did they fill the hole with? SEALANT. Hah. Best. And it wasn't even evenly spread. So I asked the worker to even it out. I know it's probably not his fault so I said ok, you can leave now.

Next thing I did was to call the salesman immediately. Despite having a million other things to attend to. This young salesman is pretty ok and enthu. I asked him to come by to take a look and he did, a few hours later. He apologized profusely, and said that the uncle must have drilled the hole sideways rather than straight. OMG. Anyway, mistakes happen, nobody's perfect, but they should've informed me right? And whats' with the sealant? He said they should have used cement or plaster or whatever. Wasn't really listening cos I was physically and mentally drained already. Anyway, to cut the story short, the salesman assured me that he will get his company's contractor to come fix it. But not before asking me if my contractor can do it. -.-

photo4_zps77ec32af.jpg

Edited by inthechouse

Cool! but if it's $900, i need to first cut off my arm :)

but it's really nice...it's really worth it...

i'll go for it if it's like $600...hehz

Try laminated plywood door? It's slightly cheaper. But not "cheap" like classic door. Trust me, I will have to chop off my arm soon too. But there's really no alternative, and I don't want a classic hinged door there. Considered bifold too, but if wooden, it's not much cheaper.

Edited by inthechouse

Ok other updates...

Look what's living beneath my bathroom floor trap? (Don't know why the pic can't be rotated)

photo6_zpsaaa0dac5.jpg

Alan came by late in the afternoon and I told him about this, after which he proceeded to squat over it and dug all the sh*t out with his bare hands. Didn't expect this. Appreciate his efforts. :good:

Then the "boxing" team came by to fix the curved wall. And they used a cute lil' thing to measure the alighment of the vertical lines. This duo was nice to speak to and deal with.

4B12F811-0936-4F84-8E76-C1582A00D00A_zps

ScreenShot2014-02-24at114216PM_zps12af2c

The electrician (I think he's the boss of the elderly team) came by to adjust all the lights and switches. He's also nice and easy to deal with. Thumbs up. :good: The wall is much better now. I told Alan that this could've been done so earlier, so I can save the grief over 2 mths+, but he said he "had to think first, it's not so easy to come up with the solution". But nevermind, I am telling y'all now! If cementing can't save your original, defected wall, ask for boxing + plastering!

Then there was this duo who came by to get the kitchen sink and vanity sink connected. They also helped me fix up all the bathroom and kitchen accessories - basically anything that needed to be drilled into the wall/tiles. Also nice and easy to deal with.

So we're almost there! It's just the paint team which needs to come by again (exluding the touch-up promised by VYY/Swingslide Door). God, I really dread seeing them again. :angry2:

Will update about my cement screed wall when it's ready.

What else? Oh yeah, my 707 Princeton water heater is producing very pathetic pressure. The pressure for everything else in the flat is fine. Even the cheaper Mistral unit in the other bathroom offers better pressure. Not sure what I can do about it. Two different teams of workers told me it can't be helped. The store I got the unit from advised me to call 707 directly to ask if they can send someone down to check. Zzz.

Edited by inthechouse