Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mrslee07

Mr And Mrs Lee's Happy Home In The Making...

Bottom-line: do not patronise Sim Lim or Aldephi unless you have friends that are familiar with these areas.

For the newer LED-backlit models it ain't so bad, but! If I'm not wrong, if you do read the manual, normally the TV company will recommend a minimum clearance distance between the rear of the TV & the wall.

Actually, I think you may be able to find other shops that offer such levels of after-sales service, just that need to do more legwork. Well, you can always ask for their service terms before you even browse their offerings.

Know very little about TV, but if it were me, 4K is the minimal I will go for now, if I am getting a new TV. Just some background, film companies are already filming 8K using RED (the brand) cameras for some time already. If I have to choose between a "SMART" TV versus a 4K TV, I will definitely pay for the 4K. 4K, or what the companies market as Ultra-HD, is simply TV that meets a minimum of 3840 pixels × 2160 lines display capability. To put things in perspective, to view your conventional 8MP photos as slideshows on your new TV without up- or down-scaling, i.e. at native resolution, you will have to have a 4K display.

All those so-called 'SMART' televisions with YouTube built-in, Pandora service, Spotify, Hulu, Amazon video, etc., I will rather my money goes to the most important component of a television, i.e. the display. Suppose a firm has to develop a TV with $1000, will you rather $900 goes into the display & $100 goes into the 'SMART' feature, or the other way round? & have you asked the salesman to demonstrate the UX (user experience) of using the TV's remote control to access those 'SMART' contents? & have you also asked the sales person whether the full-range contents of those 'SMART' services are accessible in SG, i.e. particularly those music-streaming & video-rental services?

For me, I'll offload the 'SMART' features onto a set-top box/game console, i.e. AppleTV, Roku, or even the PlayStation or Xbox, than to have it integrated into my TV. Suppose there are upgrades to those services, do you think you will be comfortable upgrading the firmware of your TV, or changing a $1XX set-top box every couple of years? I'm not even sure all 'SMART' TVs have user-upgradeable firmware.

Btw, ask the salesperson if the TV comes with the new integrated digital tuner.

Thanks shubumi for your comments. Will take those into considerations :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Bottom-line: do not patronise Sim Lim or Aldephi unless you have friends that are familiar with these areas.

For the newer LED-backlit models it ain't so bad, but! If I'm not wrong, if you do read the manual, normally the TV company will recommend a minimum clearance distance between the rear of the TV & the wall.

Actually, I think you may be able to find other shops that offer such levels of after-sales service, just that need to do more legwork. Well, you can always ask for their service terms before you even browse their offerings.

Know very little about TV, but if it were me, 4K is the minimal I will go for now, if I am getting a new TV. Just some background, film companies are already filming 8K using RED (the brand) cameras for some time already. If I have to choose between a "SMART" TV versus a 4K TV, I will definitely pay for the 4K. 4K, or what the companies market as Ultra-HD, is simply TV that meets a minimum of 3840 pixels × 2160 lines display capability. To put things in perspective, to view your conventional 8MP photos as slideshows on your new TV without up- or down-scaling, i.e. at native resolution, you will have to have a 4K display.

All those so-called 'SMART' televisions with YouTube built-in, Pandora service, Spotify, Hulu, Amazon video, etc., I will rather my money goes to the most important component of a television, i.e. the display. Suppose a firm has to develop a TV with $1000, will you rather $900 goes into the display & $100 goes into the 'SMART' feature, or the other way round? & have you asked the salesman to demonstrate the UX (user experience) of using the TV's remote control to access those 'SMART' contents? & have you also asked the sales person whether the full-range contents of those 'SMART' services are accessible in SG, i.e. particularly those music-streaming & video-rental services?

For me, I'll offload the 'SMART' features onto a set-top box/game console, i.e. AppleTV, Roku, or even the PlayStation or Xbox, than to have it integrated into my TV. Suppose there are upgrades to those services, do you think you will be comfortable upgrading the firmware of your TV, or changing a $1XX set-top box every couple of years? I'm not even sure all 'SMART' TVs have user-upgradeable firmware.

Btw, ask the salesperson if the TV comes with the new integrated digital tuner.

unfortunately, now the high ends comes with 'SMART' features... am not able to find good tvs without it.

Hi,

earlier, I have shared about installing louvre doors for the TV console to allow heat to dissipate. I would like to share that my toilet vanity base cabinets are fitted with metal shelf with holes for better ventilation and drying. This could work if you have a suspended TV console.

13892438324_7ed1c4e75c.jpgimage by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

13892030995_cff1b545d7.jpgimage by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

The louvre doors in my TV console do not block the wireless signals at all. Heat dissipates well too.

Also read about heat dissipation in concealed/closed TV console cabinet/drawers... anyone have any solutions for this?

Was wondering if can get the carpenter to cut some holes at the back and install PC fans (read somewhere) but dust will sure accumulate there..

or if opening the 'door' of the drawer be sufficient for heat to be dissipated...

Advises anyone? Thanks!

Hi,

I have installed louvre doors in my TV console to allow the heat to disspate.

13570844964_7e11d514f1.jpg
image by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

13686518705_812bb659e5.jpg
TV console by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

Edited by Harriette

Hi,

earlier, I have shared about installing louvre doors for the TV console to allow heat to dissipate. I would like to share that my toilet vanity base cabinets are fitted with metal shelf with holes for better ventilation and drying. This could work if you have a suspended TV console.

The louvre doors in my TV console do not block the wireless signals at all. Heat dissipates well too.

Thanks for the pictures and ideas! We are still waiting for our key collection and finalised 3D drawing...zzz I personally expected a faster turnaround from the ID/drafter for some mistakes/changes... oh well maybe thats just me..

Yippeee yayy!!

Finally gotten an update on our key collection date! And that's on the morning of 15th May!!

Woohooo~~

Congrats!

I've been 'poisoned' to UP the Home Theater System and of course the budget after a visit to Courts Megastore.

Somehow I don't think thats the best place to buy AV system.. Sim Lim or Aldephi is a better choice. But for noobs like us those places would be a scary place to venture to without prior knowledge or knowledge of the exact setup we want... haha any one care to advise?

Sim lim and adelphi are definitely scary places to go when you're clueless. But its a bit like visiting a high end furniture showroom. Good to browse and ask questions and find out your options. Alot of those guys there are just really passionate about sound and are happy to share some info. I've been there myself as a clueless noob and I've found them to be very sincere people. A number of them even directing me to other stores where they felt I would better find what I wanted.

But that said, NONE of their systems are cheap. I think a basic 5.1 there will be 2.5-3K. And its SOOO easy to be poisoned somemore into Upping your budget further to 3-4K after seeing and listening to what they have. (thats what happened to me. sigh)

The most impt thing I learned though? Know what you want the system for. Movies or music.

Music means you want amps and speakers that will give you the colour you like for the music you like. Most people prefer warm mellow sounds for this.

Movies means you need an AVR instead of an amplifier and speakers that are maybe less mellow and more sharp so that you can hear crisp dialogue and effects. And probably a subwoofer too for oomph.

I saw a later post where you were debating between a bulky AVR and a sleek soundbar. Really good soundbars will exceed normal speakers, but generally the "soundspace" or "soundstage" created will be smaller unless you have sidewalls nearby for the sound to bounce off and back to you. Looks wise, no full 5.1 system with AVR will ever look as clean. But that can always be hidden in a TV console.

At the end of the day, LISTEN before buying. No 2 speakers will sound exactly the same. So find a few that you like the design/ price for, listen to them, and then decide.

Hope you have fun!!

Oh by the way, which ID did you go with in the end?

Hi,

This is really smart! And the holes in the vanity too! I've been wondering about whether a remote control's signal can pass through louvres! Thanks for answering that! Now I can hide all my gear.

Sim lim and adelphi are definitely scary places to go when you're clueless. But its a bit like visiting a high end furniture showroom. Good to browse and ask questions and find out your options. Alot of those guys there are just really passionate about sound and are happy to share some info. I've been there myself as a clueless noob and I've found them to be very sincere people. A number of them even directing me to other stores where they felt I would better find what I wanted.

But that said, NONE of their systems are cheap. I think a basic 5.1 there will be 2.5-3K. And its SOOO easy to be poisoned somemore into Upping your budget further to 3-4K after seeing and listening to what they have. (thats what happened to me. sigh)

The most impt thing I learned though? Know what you want the system for. Movies or music.

Music means you want amps and speakers that will give you the colour you like for the music you like. Most people prefer warm mellow sounds for this.

Movies means you need an AVR instead of an amplifier and speakers that are maybe less mellow and more sharp so that you can hear crisp dialogue and effects. And probably a subwoofer too for oomph.

I saw a later post where you were debating between a bulky AVR and a sleek soundbar. Really good soundbars will exceed normal speakers, but generally the "soundspace" or "soundstage" created will be smaller unless you have sidewalls nearby for the sound to bounce off and back to you. Looks wise, no full 5.1 system with AVR will ever look as clean. But that can always be hidden in a TV console.

At the end of the day, LISTEN before buying. No 2 speakers will sound exactly the same. So find a few that you like the design/ price for, listen to them, and then decide.

Hope you have fun!!

Oh by the way, which ID did you go with in the end?

Hi Dwinsplace,

thanks for the advise! We've chosen our 5.1 sound system set up already - managed to get an extremely good deal for a Denon AVR and Boston Acoustics satellite speakers and subwoofer all for $799 from Courts a few weeks ago. When we went to Adelphi, we were introduced to this same set up for easily $1.2k therabout... so really glad we managed to find a good deal. Meets our budget for a simple yet worthy 5.1 set up. Very excited, and can't wait to have them set up next time!

I prefer side load washer. Can stack the dryer on top. If you don't mind Electrolux, my washer $799 and dryer only $499. They usually have sales.

p.s. oops. sorry. Did not realise you already bought. read page one only.

What is the model you got ?

What is the model you got ?

Songz, is that a question for me or kstoh?

hahaha....

we got the Bosch Washer 28448SG model (8kg) and Bosch Dryer WTV-74100SG (7kg). comes with free stacking kit.

In preparation for key collection on 15th May, hubby and I met up with our ID today to go through and correct our 3D drawings properly.

Hopefully the next time we receive the 3D drawings, it will be as close as possible to what we want.

Will be sharing the 3D drawings once we are happy with it... so cross fingers ok! haha.

Our living area is the key highlight for us...and is also the one area which we keep going back and forth with our ID on the 3D drawing because most of our money for the reno really is spent in the living area. We're adopting a modern theme (meaning not scandi/industrial kind which I understand is the rage right now) because it looks like hubby and I seem to prefer features that are more "modern" in nature. However, we are doing a craft stone brick wall in the living area - so it'll be interesting to see how our black and white modern living area is going to fuse in with the brick wall concept. Most of the pics and ideas I read on renotalk as well as online are usually industrial/scandi/country/retro theme when people adopt the brick wall idea. Have seen some on Home & Decor where brick wall got infused into a modern concept... hopefully we will achieve a unique living area we can call our own.

Can't wait for the 3D drawings now!!

• Like 1

TODAY IS KEY COLLECTION DAY!!!

15.05.14 a day to remember....

Started out early today, and got to HDB hub by 9am (our appointment was 9.10am). Went to get our fire insurance sorted at level 2 before heading for the key collection appointment. Yes, you need to buy the fire insurance first before going for the key collection appointment! After spending about 40mins signing many, many forms and wiping out our CPF OA-account, we were done and keys collected! We then later headed to level 3 SP services to activate our SP services account.

Hubby and I then headed to my parent's place and picked up my Dad, and set off to our new place to see it for the first time!

Upon opening the door to our unit, we were greeted with a bright and spacious living area. We were pretty glad with the space in the living room area, so that was a nice sight to be greeted with. However, we were quite disappointed with the size of the kitchen and the rooms... really smaller than we imagined! Floor plans really can be quite misleading... haha.

Also another disappointment was the piping area and clothes rack in the service yard!! We have absolutely no space to stack our washer and dryer... so sad. ID confirmed it also. Washer and dryer will have to separated... really bummed.

So our ID and his site supervisor then came and join us about an hour later at our unit to assist with the checking of defects of the unit. All in all, there were no major defects. No cracks on walls or tiles (we opted for doors and flooring by HDB). Main problems were chips on the doors and walls and some uneven-ness on the walls here and there. Hopefully these are not major defects and HDB will be able to rectify shortly.

After hanging around at our place for 3 hours, we then left the place and submitted the defects form to the BSC office a block away.

We read other people's tblog and were advised to lock up our unit with a numbered lock and chain... however, the BSC office of our BTO told us they do not accept numbered locks due to 'safety issues'. Don't know why they so troublesome! Duh... wasted our time and money to buy this numbered lock and chain specifically!! So had to hand over a key to our main gate instead.

Generally quite pleased with our place! Even the hdb flooring looked pleasing to us... not as bad as people described. Sure, not as nice as homegeneous tiles or parquet or marble flooring if we had the chance to choose it on our own. But for the price we paid, and looking at the workmanship i think it's acceptable and we are happy to live with this.

Still unsure if we are going to do Evorich HERF/Krono-o-floors vinyl flooring for our bedrooms... likely yes haha but haven't confirmed.

We also headed to Royal Fanco at Jalan Besar to get the Baron WC and basin package... for $390 it's indeed a steal!! Lite Fusion unfortunately doesn't offer package anymore... when we visited they said just because we are a returning interested customer they will sell us the same Baron set for $480. Crossed them out - so Royal Fanco it is! Thanks to guojiawen for her recommendation on her tblog! heehee.

ID has also sent over the revised 3D drawings, so i'm going to attempt sharing them on tblog now.

1. Living room area 1

Shoe cabinet will be the partition to prevent our whole house being overly exposed at the main door. Will also have some pockets of empty space in the shoe cabinet as shelfing to put keys/display stuffs etc. Shoe cabinet also then links to a bar counter. Bar counter area will have a loud NYC-times square type of wallpaper at the background to contrast against the black and white theme. Bar counter stools will also not be white... likely will choose a loud colour like yellow or orange etc. The bar counter is meant to be a stark contrast to the mostly white and black colour theme in the living room.

Sofa is likely to be black instead of white, and coffeetable is white instead of black.

ZCQuvJx.jpg?1

2. Dining area behind sofa.

We will be doing a craft stone brick wall (white) and will be including a tinted mirror in the middle of the wall.

Bomb shelter area will also have a feature wall and a tic-tac door to cover the bomb shelter door.

Bt8x2nB.jpg

3. Kitchen area

Chose a green and light grey color in the kitchen. I really love how green and grey comes so nicely together. Wanted to do Green and white but felt that that was a little too common. Notice we have a breakfast counter in the kitchen for quick meals before going to work/instant noodles before rushing out the house/supper or for someone to just sit around when the other party is doing the cooking etc.

I will be decorating the wall tiles with stickers/posters as well for the breakfast counter so that it doesn't look so plain.

GOBjfV5.jpg?1

4. MBR toilet - the chosen tiles and design after overlaying. Aboslutely love the mosaic wall... thanks to hubby for agreeing to this little splurge!

zISk0yr.jpg?1

That's all the pics for now! Heading back to our place on Sat and Sun this weekend with our respective families for them to take a look since they are also equally excited about our new home. Maybe take more pics again this weekend... :)

• Like 3