Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mrslee07

Mr And Mrs Lee's Happy Home In The Making...

Thanks OceanEleven.... and hope your aircon problem also gets resolved soon.

I guess for our case, I wouldn't classify it as a issue from GC... because we really don't know who's speaking the truth here (ID or GC) so I'm not going to be so quick to say GC is at fault here.

In other news, GC came back yesterday to install the living area aircon unit after our ID got his tilers to make the adjustment of the false ceiling so that the aircon unit can fit into the space. GC also then offered to solve the problem of the drainage pipe problem which we were more than happy for them to do because it's probably best that we leave all the aircon issues to them to resolve. So wala!! Aircon units all tested and all working fine.... Boy, are we glad that the aircon nightmare is over!

But, we realised another issue.... we intend to build a feature wall to cover bomb shelter.... but after the aircon unit in living room is installed, we realised that there is now no more extra space between the aircon unit in living room and the wall of bomb shelter. It is fitted snugly into that space above the walkway area. Our ID failed to take that into consideration and did not inform GC or highlight to us about the need to buffer space there to build the feature wall.

So... we'll see how our ID get out of this one and resolve this when we meet on Saturday to discuss installation of lights and bathroom accessories. Really not very pleased with the way our ID is handling our reno at this stage... and progress is still so slow!

Arggghhhh.

Yes very slow progress indeed. 2 weeks of carpentry works?! and till now they can't give us an estimation when we can see the carpentry or even hand over... this is delaying a lot of furniture delivery and stuff from happening...

I feel that the way they work. Their 'foresight' or planning is really bad.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

It may be a case of ID poor planning or too busy with other projects which causes delay.

Delay in renovation is common but not to the extent of long overdue kind of cause.

Most important is the worksmanship of the work which I always put as first priority.

Hope your issues will resolved soon and will not screw up the delivery of items.

Quick update:

Vinyl Flooring is up.

Carpentry is I would say 30% up.

Accessories for bathroom are 90% up.

Lights are 90% up.

Kitchen is 30% done.

Living room is maybe 30% done?

Pending other minor works and touch ups. Hopefully can be handed over to us soon and we will start the tedious process of cleaning n more cleaning.

currently facing reno-fatigue. lol hence not much/any updates from either of us.

Quick update:

Vinyl Flooring is up.

Carpentry is I would say 30% up.

Accessories for bathroom are 90% up.

Lights are 90% up.

Kitchen is 30% done.

Living room is maybe 30% done?

Pending other minor works and touch ups. Hopefully can be handed over to us soon and we will start the tedious process of cleaning n more cleaning.

currently facing reno-fatigue. lol hence not much/any updates from either of us.

Hahaha its normal.

Anyway update when you are free, concentrate on your Reno stuff first.

Dear Mrs. Lee,

Nice to see your blog. We are in the process of choosing an ID now. Can you help PM me your ID details? Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks In Advance

Some updates again. Someone asked for our floor plan, so here it is.

HBDpNfs.jpg?1

Hubby and I headed to JB yesterday for a day trip to check out some of the recommended lighting shops mentioned by other kind forummers. So we went to Tampo Lighting Centre first to check out downlights. Indeed they have very cheap downlights at RM45-48 (4inch, 12W, 3colour LED square downlights). Their T5 lights which we needed to get for cove lighting also seemed quite cheap at RM15-18 depending on the length. Unfortunately, the initial model of downlights which we wanted to get at Tampoi was out of stock and we were told to come back again over the weekend. So we decided to just get the T5 lights from them first.

We then went next door to check out Star World Lighting... they were selling some made-in-malaysia downlights for RM42 which we initially were keen to get. However, upon closer inspection I realised that the quality was really lousy! The downlights had painted exteriors (white colour) and the paint job was horrible. So it was a no-go. We felt bad because we decided not to proceed with the purchase after inspecting some 10 downlights one by one... so decided to buy some squarish ceiling lights for service yard/toilets/bomb shelter from them. Quite cheap at RM58-68 per light so we decided to buy it.

We then checked out Yako Lighting Centre but their downlights were so expensive! RM68... and made in china type. So we left and went to check out Best Light Electrical. However, on the way there we got lost and just couldn't seem to locate the shop lot on GPS... in the end we stumbled upon another small light shop Project Electricial at 65 & 67 Jalan Rosmerah 2/2 Taman Johor Jaya, 81100 Johor Bahru

This place was such a wonderful discovery for us! The lady boss Ms Leena Chen is a really warm and friendly lady, with absolutely no hard selling. Her downlights (same as the ones sold at Tampoi) were offered the cheapest at RM38 per downlight. Her T5 lights were also selling slightly cheaper... but too bad hubby and I already bought from Tampoi. They have a nice variety of ceiling and pendant lights too and more designs to come... i couldn't make up my mind about which pendant light i liked (for dining area) so didn't commit to a purchase. Ms Leena told me not to rush into it if I have yet to spot 'THE ONE' and will whatsapp me new designs when they arrive.

This is the downlight which we bought. Really happy with it - and at such a price, it's too good a deal to pass up on.

vx6Q9hK.jpg?1

Initially hubby and I were thinking if the price difference isn't a lot in JB and Singapore, we will just buy in Singapore... but this is easily more than 50% in cost savings... so we decided to just do it! It's made in taiwan... which is similar to many downlights sold in Singapore too. So hubby and I decided to take the leap of faith and buy it. Ms Leena also gave us 1year warranty on all the downlights.

We strongly recommend this small shop to people who are considering heading to JB for lights-shopping!

If you are keen to buy better brands (but only 1 light colour, not 3 colour option) like Samsung and LG, this shop sells them too. So do check them out in JB for your lighting needs!

Hello, I went down to take a look. The sale person straight bring out those Korea brand to me and it was like 85-90RM. May I know how did you tell her the downlight you want?

Hello, I went down to take a look. The sale person straight bring out those Korea brand to me and it was like 85-90RM. May I know how did you tell her the downlight you want?

Hi trdseal,

yes I recall they sell korean and made in taiwan type of downlights. you gotta tell them which ones or even your price range.

Hi Mrs Lee, can I ask if you have any photos of the installed lights that you got from Project Electrical?

Are the quality good?

Thank you as I will be getting my lightings soon from JB despite the announcement of JB fees for cars soon.

I was wondering if getting the korean down-lights will be a better choice....

Hi Mrs Lee, can I ask if you have any photos of the installed lights that you got from Project Electrical?

Are the quality good?

Thank you as I will be getting my lightings soon from JB despite the announcement of JB fees for cars soon.

I was wondering if getting the korean down-lights will be a better choice....

Hi there, sorry for the late response.

So far none of the downlights from PE has failed us.... we bought extra but looks like we won't be needing them for a while.

Comparing the ones we bought from PE and those that people bought from balestier... it looks exactly the same. So we are happy with what we've got so far.

Unfortunately I did not manage to take pics of the downlights when it's switched on.... sorry about that!

UPDATES:

Sorry for the long hiatus guys.... i guess i'm not keeping up with the tblog as frequently as i had wanted. We took many pictures but it's quite a chore to download them from phone to hosting site so i will probably share pics of the completed house in future. Really not much time to do these things here I'm afraid.

Anyway, for people who are (still) keen to know about our progress....

We're at 80% completion of our reno. This means only minor carpentry touch-ups, another coat of paint for touching up, glass backsplash for kitchen and customised mirror for dining area and master bedroom dresser are pending. After these are done, we should be looking at the handover soon! How time flies...

So far we've been really pleased with the carpentry works too... it's really nice to see a few of our ideas come nicely into fruition. There's been some minor works to be improved here and there but our carpenter and reno supervisor are usually very quick to oblige. This gives me some comfort, at least their standard of quality is aligned with mine so far!

• Like 2

Hi trdseal,

Oh and we mentioned we wanted 3 types of colours in one downlights - hence they immediately showed us to the made in taiwan downlights.

Our downlights allow us to choose from warm white, day light and cool white. Some people find it cumbersome and useless... but we just love having the options! haha

Hi trdseal,

Oh and we mentioned we wanted 3 types of colours in one downlights - hence they immediately showed us to the made in taiwan downlights.

Our downlights allow us to choose from warm white, day light and cool white. Some people find it cumbersome and useless... but we just love having the options! haha

Although troublesome but I will agree that its good to have the options as you may not know when you need it.

For example watching a movie always good that lighting are not to bright, playing of mahjong requires bright lights. :lol::D

Although troublesome but I will agree that its good to have the options as you may not know when you need it.

For example watching a movie always good that lighting are not to bright, playing of mahjong requires bright lights. :lol::D

Thanks Songz. I guess to each his own la... that's why no 2 homes are the same. Some things look great and is a must-have to one, but is completely unnecessary to others. :)

Ok I managed to have some time and handpicked some pics to upload here ... finally able to share some random pics on our tblog here.

6exyc6x.jpg

this is the bombshelter feature wall

oC1lNSu.jpg

this is our craftstone brickwall at the supposedly study area which we will now use for dining area. The cemented area is going to be placed with a black tinted mirror... something special instead of a full wall of bricks.

LmgBxT0.jpg

this is our living area tv feature wall and tv console as well as a display portion and storage cabinet next to it.

1ZGghJu.jpg

This is our grey and green kitchen.... with our Blanco granite sink, off-white quartz countertop as well as our Delizia chimney hood and Bosch hob installed (carpenter will box up the portion on top of the hood later) I simply just love our bright kitchen... the effect of the countertop and our chosen laminates just go so well! As least to us! haha we are so very pleased indeed!

LRqu672.jpg

Our MBR toilet... with the Baron WC as well as shower screen and rainshower all up. The other side of the MBR toilet consists of our vanity cabinet which is not fully done up yet so no pics there.

hILZcjn.jpg

Our MBR wardrobe... simple and nice just the way I had wanted :)