Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Auteur

Id But Contractor Prices

Hi, we have attended several appointments with IDs and for one of them, we were recommended an ID by a friend.

This ID's works consists of mostly modern homes whereas we were looking for something more Scandi. This ID's prices were mid-range, however, in Reno-talk, there were mostly bad comments regarding the workmanship of the company. However, the those mentioned on the forum were not this ID's projects but rather projects of colleagues. However, I took it as a warning sign.

Alas, due to our budget constraints, we decided to go with a low-range ID. (Those contractor type prices)

This ID then proceeded to question why we didn't sign with them and we cited price as the major factor.

We then received a quotation, lesser than contractor's pricing. And was informed that they would really like to work with us so Scandi can be included in their portfolio. They were pretty insistent that they would be the best choice for us.

As this ID is a friend of our friend, we are unsure whether this is due to enthusiasm as a favor for a friend. Or is this too good to be true?

Please advise.

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

if I put it this way- "die or survive", which way you want to choose? The Sign means:

1. They are hungry for jobs"

2. They want you to post for them on line to make them famous"

3. They may run away your money or their sub-con one, either way they are getting money out from you.

4. There are some invisible hidden cost which may damage your relationship.

Ofcoz there are optional reason.

Hi, we have attended several appointments with IDs and for one of them, we were recommended an ID by a friend.

This ID's works consists of mostly modern homes whereas we were looking for something more Scandi. This ID's prices were mid-range, however, in Reno-talk, there were mostly bad comments regarding the workmanship of the company. However, the those mentioned on the forum were not this ID's projects but rather projects of colleagues. However, I took it as a warning sign.

Alas, due to our budget constraints, we decided to go with a low-range ID. (Those contractor type prices)

This ID then proceeded to question why we didn't sign with them and we cited price as the major factor.

We then received a quotation, lesser than contractor's pricing. And was informed that they would really like to work with us so Scandi can be included in their portfolio. They were pretty insistent that they would be the best choice for us.

As this ID is a friend of our friend, we are unsure whether this is due to enthusiasm as a favor for a friend. Or is this too good to be true?

Please advise.

I met a ID thru a friend recommendation. same as you, i find their quotation way too high for consideration. But the ID is quite persistence even after i rejected them. so we met up the 2nd time. this time round i was quite upfront abt the cost. told her the total cost from the company i plan to engage. and the way she try to match is by cutting the amount of work to be done, eg: laying over toilet wall tiles instead of hacking, change kitchen table top from quartz to solid top, etc... after all her cost cutting measure, she still end up quite a few thousands more than the others.

at the end i still reject them, why should i pay more for less work.

for me i try not to cut the ID too much, they need to earn. but if from a 50k quote they can cut to 40k, i will be very caution...

I have bad experience with service provided by fren of fren...

Cos those fren of fren is not your fren..so I dun think you will be treated differently from the other customers..

So I think you should treat those fren of fren as a normal ID whom you will do your normal due diligence..etc compare quote, research online

I met a ID thru a friend recommendation. same as you, i find their quotation way too high for consideration. But the ID is quite persistence even after i rejected them. so we met up the 2nd time. this time round i was quite upfront abt the cost. told her the total cost from the company i plan to engage. and the way she try to match is by cutting the amount of work to be done, eg: laying over toilet wall tiles instead of hacking, change kitchen table top from quartz to solid top, etc... after all her cost cutting measure, she still end up quite a few thousands more than the others.

at the end i still reject them, why should i pay more for less work.

for me i try not to cut the ID too much, they need to earn. but if from a 50k quote they can cut to 40k, i will be very caution...

For my 4 room w flooring works required, I was quoted ard 25k from those mid-range cos. and as high as 35k from those high end cos. and around 20k from contractors.

so for the first quote from this ID I received was around 25k, however when informed that we were not going with them, the second quote was less than contractor's price. The cheapest quote we have received! And without changes or alternatives to our plans.

Also they have been around for several years.

Should I err on the side of caution and turn them down?

Do u feel good about the id? Do u think they are honest and there will no hidden costs after u sign ?

Are you able to click and communicate well with him ?

They may run away with your money or they may not pay their sub-con after the job is done. My friend kenna before. The main con left the job halfway and owed a lot of money to their sub-con. The main con told the sub-con that the owner did not pay the main con, which was untrue as the owner managed to show the sub-con all the receipts.