Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mummychua

Home With A View

You could just buy the main door from your vendor and purchase+install the digital lock from other reliable vendors. Best to buy a local set so that there is warranty. Imagine the hassle you'd have to go through if the parallel imported set malfunctions. Not worth the effort and extra cost just for the small savings and potential risk of installation going wrong. Depending on the type of digital lock you are looking at, it could cost up to $1k+ (with installation) for those with biometric functions. Of course it would be better to install digital lock immediately to save the hassle but since budget is tight, go with a normal lock for now and change to digital when your purse strings are looser.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The price for digital lock will vary for the model type.

For eg, samsung' s digital lock without handle comes in 2 version. Deadbolt and Rim lock. Basically deadbolt is more expensive than rim lock. And not to mention, I read before on samsung's authorized distributor FB that other non authorized distributors/sellers are selling mostly parallel imported sets that is not catered to the local market hence the warranty will not be covered by the local authorized distributors/sellers. So do check whether the set you are getting is strictly meant for local market if you wish to have support service or claim warranty.

You could just buy the main door from your vendor and purchase+install the digital lock from other reliable vendors. Best to buy a local set so that there is warranty. Imagine the hassle you'd have to go through if the parallel imported set malfunctions. Not worth the effort and extra cost just for the small savings and potential risk of installation going wrong. Depending on the type of digital lock you are looking at, it could cost up to $1k+ (with installation) for those with biometric functions. Of course it would be better to install digital lock immediately to save the hassle but since budget is tight, go with a normal lock for now and change to digital when your purse strings are looser.

I suppose buying digital lock over at Qoo10 is a little like buying fan from malaysia and lights from tb. There's bound to be risk but the price differences is simply too big.

Got another call from someone from Dr Door again. This guy called to follow up on my interest with the combi door at the kovan roadshow. So i asked him the question on the digital lock again. Guess what this time round i was told that a simple digital lock without the handle could be installed on the door. Surprise surprise.

Drama is nv ending during reno...

Arranged for fridge delivery 2days back and guess what my hitachi fridge cant get thru the door even after the delivery guys removed the fridge door. And since im using the combi door, hitachi delivery guys have no idea how to remove the door. With just a few more centimeters my fridge will be in. :(

Made another round of calls to Doc Door, was told that it will be difficult to remove the door as its very heavy, they will need 2 person to be down and it will cost me $200.

There go my chio hitachi 3 door fridge.

Contractor made the 1st major mistake on the reno on my kitchen table top!

Instead of cutting it like this...

Screenshot_2014-07-23-22-25-57_zpslhyqhw

It got cut like this...

20140723_195227_zpsxel7oo5b.jpg

I got this sink with the specific intention to have the tap mount on the bowl instead of table top. If i want my tap to be mounted on the table top i will have gotten a regular 2 bowl sink. According to him most ppl will mount the tap on table top as its going to be more stable, which i agree but for all my life i had my tap mounted on my sink and none of them wobble or leak. Plus this sink from tb is 1.2mm thick, the thickest sink i ever had, i quite certain that the tap will be stable.

Now that the tap is mounted on the table top, the height of the tap got increase and i feel more water splashes out of the sink.

Dont know how is he going to solve this issue. Change the top? Haiz...

Edited by mummychua

moved into the new place last sat, one day before the start of ghost festival. very glad that we are able to renovate and move in within such a short period of time. kudos to my contractor for his very fast work. although there are still quite a bit of rectification work to be do but in general he still does a good job. let's see how quickly he can complete all the rectification work. :)

kitchen, the pride of my place, the only place with something to show... the rest of the house is empty :P

20140724_193428_Pano_zpsbpokatwr.jpg

Pending a fixed panel on the table top and the delivery of a down sized fridge. will only peel out the protective sheet on my chimney hood after every thing is up.

• Like 2

Have the tap issue been resolved or you will let it sit on top of the table top (*Personally I feel on the table top is much stable) ?

Have the tap issue been resolved or you will let it sit on top of the table top (*Personally I feel on the table top is much stable) ?

not resolve :( i dont know how he's going to resolve this. i probably have to let go on this, although im seriously not happy with how it look.

all my blinds are up. finally can take down my bedsheet to use them as bedsheet... :seeya:

20140801_092010_zpsujpj0wmo.jpg

grey perforated blinds for living and dining. cant get a good picture of the color. but i really love this blind, match the color scheme of the kitchen. :sport-smiley-004:

20140801_091924_zpsewjwxxuw.jpg

real boring blackout for the common room facing corridor. a nice wind chime place in this room per fsm instruction.

20140731_143456_zpsw57lirfp.jpg

cheery romam blinds choose by my gal. gender neutral fabric.

20140801_092039_zps9zkqwslb.jpg

20140801_092106_zpsr9rfnq13.jpg

a real cool shadow blind for the mbr. function like wooden blind but without all the cleaning. just dust and wipe for this one. love it...

I enjoyed the process of housing viewing, reno designing, items procuring, installing.....after 1 year, sian liao. Why like that?

i love your kitchen! it looks awesome!

thanks, this is the place where i spend all my effort on. glad that it turn out well.

I enjoyed the process of housing viewing, reno designing, items procuring, installing.....after 1 year, sian liao. Why like that?

i seriously dont enjoy reno. find it really stressful to plan and design. plus budgeting for all these drives my bank account crazy. and since i shifted in, i found quite a number of defects which need rectification. and i keep questioning myself if i'm being too fussy or what...

glass panels for the kitchen was installed last Sat. only with the glass panels up then i realised another problem with the table top. :curse:

20140804_092319_zpsg9zgvkbh.jpg

the table top is slanted! see the gap between the fixed glass panel and the end of the table top is not constant! :angry2: measure the width of the table top at different point and and difference between one end to the middle point of the table is abt 0.5cm! i didnt realise it before the installation of the glass panels but once its up, the slant is so obvious. is this acceptable? just texted my contractor, waiting for this reply.

im quite OCD abt having straight lines, going crazy measuring the slant :help:

had some water leaking issue and having some orange stuff forming on my toilet carpentry. told contractor and carpenter uncle came instead of water pipe uncle.

before...

20140730_215408_zpslzb1fc4l.jpg

carpenter came and apply lots of silicone...

20140804_092408_zps5u3zpenb.jpg

now instead of having orange stuff on the cabinet, i have lots of uneven silicone on the water pipe and wet silicone :angry2:

hi mummychua

we spent the weekend post it sticking on all the rough walls due to uneven plastering and one wall corner was even chipped off and our contractor was like moaning we are so fussy. I was quite annoyed , that wall was facing the bed so we can see it everyday! I wonder why he overreact or is it me? I think in the case of renovation, customers are not always right even if we would like to insist so.we are at the mercy of all these "experts".

Can't wait for handover now. Disliking the reno process.

Ad don't worry you are not OCD, my wife is particular about the switches and plugs all being aligned. I think we are living in this place for a long time, so our concerns should matter. Just wish these contractors understand.

Edited by LHWH