Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dylanchua

5I Jurong West, Old 25 Years Old Flat

Hi all, my journey started with the search for a resale flat.

Being on a tight budget (my Ordinary Account was **** low, but that's another long story), I went without a agent and searched primarily from PropertyGuru. First off, I applied for a HLE from HDB.

Lesson Learnt 1

The HLE stated I was eligible for $450K (example figure only) loan. Plus my OA balance $100K (example figure only), I thought my budget is $550K. So I went searching for $550K and below flats. I started looking for renovated flats so that I need not spend too much on reno.

Saw one I really like, but owner wanted 20K COV when the market was already down to 5K or zero. Then I saw another one which requires some reno, but at least I can accept the current living area flooring and kitchen cabinets. But we couldn't agree on price. And that was actually a good thing for me!

Because later on I discovered that the eligible loan amount is based on my income and NOT my CPF contribution monthly. So if I had bought based on my max loan eligiblity, I would have to fork out CASH $400-$500 every month. This is my ignorance on calculating my house financing. After using DBS loan calculator, I finally discovered my actual budget is about 70K lower. Thus the search begins again...

Lesson Learnt 2

Whenever I see a listing I like, I will take the address, and key into the search function and check for duplicate listings. I discovered that not all listings are actually agents representing the seller. Some companies have shared listings for newbies. One house, can be listed by up to 10 agents! When you call and make appointment for viewing, they will check if you are agent or buyer. Like me direct buyers, they will psycho you to let them represent you. If you insist you wish to deal direct with the agent representing the seller, they will lose interest and say will get their colleague to call but no one will call.

Some listings, I check, only single listing. So ok, I call and make appt. But once they discover that you are direct buyer, on that day, TWO agents will turn up, and one of them will try to psycho you to let them represent you.

If you really need their service, why not. But think again, the only real reason why a buyer needs a agent is to negotiate for best price on your behalf and yet (based on their market knowledge) not go too ridiculously low and lose the deal. But both agents being buddies, don't you think there is conflict of interest?? They always counter by telling me that I will need someone to handle the mountain of paperwork required. Please lah... this is Singapore, everything online. I found the paperwork sooooo easy...

Finale

I finally found a 5i flat, 25 years old in Jurong West. My wife had originally rule out any flats more than 15 years old as she didn't like the idea of buying something with only slightly more than half lease left.

And the flat is in original condition as per 25 years ago when it was built. So you can imagine how retro the tiles and flooring are. Even the rubbish chute is sooo retro.

But the old couple staying there was really nice people and somehow the vibe of the house felt good and even my wife was won over. She felt that if the couple can stay here so long, and be healthy at old age and raise 2 sons both in good professions now (they selling cos moving in with son), then this house is good.

Plus the agent representing them is a honest no-nonsense kinda guy, and we liked dealing with him. He even encouraged us saying no worries on the paperwork, he say he can't outright help us as there is conflict of interest but if I encounter any doubts, he is more than willing to help on phone or sms. In the end, I could handle all myself just by reading up HDB's site.

So we sealed the deal for $400K, zero COV, and the couple agreed to only $500 deposit and $500 when exercise option to purchase. Meaning minimum cash needed! Most sellers would insist on standard $1000 deposit and $4000 to exercise option.

Here is some pics of the house. It has 4 bedrooms, 1302 sqft. Downside is I have to renovate the WHOLE house. My search my reno contractor in posting to come....

Living Room

gallery_59893_417_51160.jpg

MBR

gallery_59893_417_74767.jpg

Bedroom 2

gallery_59893_417_116355.jpg

Bedroom 3

gallery_59893_417_184675.jpg

Study Room

gallery_59893_417_57998.jpg

Kitchen

gallery_59893_417_228176.jpg

Edited by Dylanchua

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Wow, looks like quite project! Have you found an ID that you are happy with yet? I'm still in the process of looking for one...

I also have an old place. So not sure if can still go with contractor rather than ID to lower costs...

Hi Kitty, I went through the 12 firms and finally selected Ronald from Designer House as the most price competitive as well as knowledgable ID. Though my budget didn't allow much "design" so to speak.. Colour coordination of tiles, wall painting, kitchen cabinet laminates, etc still requires a trained opinion. Contractors will just do what you ask for. Ronald is very close to contractor pricing yet can offer ID services, after all he has formal training in interior design.

I'll share more in another post. Now getting ready for work. My company taking part in the car carnival at Expo today. Anyone keen in attractive servicing packages come look for me at booth A41!

Welcome to RT.

Look like major works are needed.

Any floor plan of the area and idea of layout ?

Edited by Songz

Hi Kitty, I went through the 12 firms and finally selected Ronald from Designer House as the most price competitive as well as knowledgable ID. Though my budget didn't allow much "design" so to speak.. Colour coordination of tiles, wall painting, kitchen cabinet laminates, etc still requires a trained opinion. Contractors will just do what you ask for. Ronald is very close to contractor pricing yet can offer ID services, after all he has formal training in interior design.

I'll share more in another post. Now getting ready for work. My company taking part in the car carnival at Expo today. Anyone keen in attractive servicing packages come look for me at booth A41!

Thanks you for this feedback. I'll try to speak to your ID, too. But I need only to start in September so hopfully by then you can share with us how well your reno is going. Thanks!

Here is my floor plan original vs planned.

gallery_59893_417_42912.jpg

- Living room wall has been extended.

- Kitchen wall hacked.

- Hacked a doorway between MBR and Bedroom 2.

- Construct a wall at bedroom 2 for walk in wardrobe.

As mentioned before, I will talk about my ID selection. I've actually talked about it in another thread, so to save some effort, I'll cut and paste and edit if I have anything more to add.

I started with submitting a request here and receiving 8-9 standard package quotations. Some firms were horrible, I can consider their quote for 2 days only, then when I call, the person no longer working!

Anyway, I met with 3 companies, and their quote was pretty standard. They will take a package, and then add on whatever extra you require. This is good in the sense that it is easy to understand for the customer. But not so good as the unit rates of each costing is hidden in the package. Anything to add or delete later on, it becomes very grey. The range was from about 42K to 55K. Quite wide.

While evaluating these quotations, there was a weekend when I went to Expo and look see look see. Ciseern had this fantastic package with free this free that and rebate on GST and all the frills. I nearly signed up, but was pulled back by my wife. On second thoughts, after dissecting the quote, they aren't any much cheaper than other firms. Lucky she stopped me.

Then I was pulled into Unimax booth. Was talking to an ID when another more senior one bumped into the conversation. He started telling me to put a $500 deposit. I told him their package don't cover everything that I need, and I can't put a deposit on something which I dunno the cost. I explained that I have a low budget of $30K and though I don't need fancy carpentry (for furniture I intend to go the Ikea way rather than custom built), I will need some hacking of walls here and there. I say I rather u work out the quote, then I deposit. He assure me that they will definitely work within my budget, and later on say deposit $200 also no problem. With the deposit, they will work out the quote AND 3D drawings. So I gave them my hard earned $200. In the end, they were the LAST firm to quote, and that is after several reminders, and I was given 3 miserable drawings which looked liked it was drawn for another client, not specially for me. And their quote was a whopping $57K (all my other quotes were $7K to $16K less). Talk about working within my budget! I decided to forfeit my deposit and moved on.

Anyway, along the way I was also actively searching on this forum and I saw 2 companies actively posting. Tiler Seng and ContractorPrice. ContractorPrice (Jason) is like guerilla marketing, responding to people's post and asking them to call or PM him, while Tiler Seng (Ronald) is a bonafide paid advertiser here.

I met up with Jason once, and his quote was about $38K including electrical and aircon?? But it was based on scribbling figures on a blank A4. Later on I asked for an official quote, he never responded. Few days later, he can suddenly call and say who called me? Then when I identify myself, he will tell me wah forum alot of people looking for him, saying he take their money and run when actually he was in hospital couldn't return their calls, etc. Though I can't comment on the authenticity of what he is saying, I feel it was best to drop him.

Then I met up with Ronald. His firm is Designer House. Designer House's quote was 6K more than the lowest quote (from the original 3 quotes i got). I was about to go with the lowest quote when I discovered several items inside Ronald's quote which is missing from the other firm, including 23ft of kitchen cabinet. After deducting the missing items and 23ft of kitchen cabinet (we will finalise the qty when we get to measure on site), Tiler Seng turned out to be the lowest quote.

Besides price, he seemed knowledgeable, no-nonsense kind of guy. And his quote was all breakdown by unit prices, so I felt alot safe going with him.

As I am writing this now, tiling works have already been completed and ceiling/partition works started. I sourced for electrician myself and they have also started to pull wiring. I usually inspect the flat after work when it is dark, so it is difficult to take in progress pics, but I will try my best in the weeks to come.

Edited by Dylanchua

Roughly, my scope of works includes:

- Hack whole house floor and wall tiles

- Hack kitchen entrance walls

- Hack wall between MBR and Bedroom 2

- Lay floor tiles for kitchen, 2 X toilets, living room, and balcony (waterproofing for kitchen and toilets)

- Lay wall tiles for kitchen and 2 X toilets

- Lay vinyl flooring for dining, bedrooms and store

- All above include cement screeding

- Constructing fridge, cabinet, washing machine bases

- Adding width to kitchen left wall and toilet right walls

- Cutting railing on balcony ledge and re-patching to slant

- All stainless steel plumbing

- Installation of all toilet accessories, WCs, wash basins, kitchen sink, washing machine water point, instant heater

- Supply and install of 2 toilet KDK exhaust fan

- Replace balcony sliding doors

- Install balcony sliding windows

- Replace whole house window grilles

- Replace all bedroom and store doors with solid core veneer door

- Replace 2 toilet doors

- Replace main gate with galvanised wrought iron gate

- 2 X shower screen

- Whole house painting

- Wallpaper on one living room wall

- Cove light and L box **** room

- False ceiling at dining room

- False ceiling at MBR (partial)

- Curtain pelmet for living room and all bedrooms

- Sealing up of small windows at 3 bedrooms

- Kitchen cabinet & island

- Granite top

That should be about all... These are just to give an idea of the work. The details like "labour to install cooker hob..." etc, I didn't write down cos it will be too long.

Last Saturday, I went to Tampoi Lighting and bought 2 Fanco 56 inch ceiling fans with light and remote. 1 Alpha designer fan F430, 1 mini ceiling fan with light (can't recall the brand), 2 pendant lights, 1 Phillips hanging light with 3 pendants, 2 Alpha instant heater. Total about RM3500.

hi Dylan u finished yr reno? u otp in end march now july den reno?

anyway my situation is similar to yrs... my is a 3rm resale which looks like yr original condition...

aren't u doing electrical works or rewiring? good luck to yr reno!

Edited by StevenNg

I'm at 9XX....

The one I mentioned that wanted 20K COV was at 7XX, opposite Gek Poh.

8XX I ruled out cos too near the expressway...

9XX looks quiet and deserted from the front, but actually if you walk from the rear, it is only 5-10mins away from the cluster of shops, supermarket, market that is around the City Harvest church.

Edited by Dylanchua

Hi, I collected my keys in early June. Hanged on to it for a while, then went for a week holiday in Phuket, came back then decided on contractor. We started our reno mid June..

For electrical, I revamped the whole flat including DB box. I outsourced separately to an electrician who is doing contract work for my company. My facilities colleague intro to me.

For aircon, I bought from a shop in Bedok who sells home appliances as well.