Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
aluka

5 Rm Resale Dream Home Project Strathmore

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Any pictures of the tiles you targeted ??

Since this was our first visit before ID - it was more for us to get hang of it.. I will try to upload some pics of the tiles once we made our choice.

Any idea on how to upload multiple images to this forum. I was trying to upload some of the tiles pictures through the gallery as suggested by binzz, but after one picture, it say "not enough space".

Any idea on how to upload multiple images to this forum. I was trying to upload some of the tiles pictures through the gallery as suggested by binzz, but after one picture, it say "not enough space".

I am using flickr for posting pictures.

Hope this help

• Like 1

Sharing my experience so far in reaching out to IDs and their responses:

I uploaded my floor plan on Renotalk website and requested for quotations.

Initially, I was flooded with many calls from several IDs. Almost all of them AGAIN! asked me to send the floor plan to them, even though I uploaded the floor plan on the website in the first place. Also all the IDs wanted to meet me and see the site.

I asked all the IDs to drop me an email with their first quote based on the floor plan and my initial requirements for me to consider before I can meet them up. If not, I need to spend next many weeks just to meet them all! Surprisingly, most of the IDs never send me any email after the call. Only a handful few sent me emails some with standard package offers inspite of me mentioning what I wanted to do!

Few of them sent me intro email and after that no response!

I was impressed by Vincent Blog (http://www.vincentinteriorblog.com/) on his knowledge and advice to new home owners like me. I reached out to Vincent and sent him my floor plan and requested for quotations. (similar to Renotalk). I was recommended to 2 IDs by Vincent. Unfortunately AGAIN, no response by both the recommended IDs, inspite of me waiting for over 3 weeks for them to respond!

Looks like every ID in this business is very busy with loads of projects! Appears to me that ID business is a good business to be in!

In the next part, I will write about my experience in shortlisting the ID’s – thanks to the Renotalk friends feedback and some personal contacts.

Just curious, when did you start asking for quotation? Suspect they did not reply due to the rush to finish their existing project before the start of the 7th month..

I get what you mean coz when i told the IDs my budget and requirement, most of them come back with standard package, miss out what I want, exceed my budget by 20% etc. Dropped them like hot potato haha.

Just curious, when did you start asking for quotation? Suspect they did not reply due to the rush to finish their existing project before the start of the 7th month..

I get what you mean coz when i told the IDs my budget and requirement, most of them come back with standard package, miss out what I want, exceed my budget by 20% etc. Dropped them like hot potato haha.

I started reaching out in the first week of July. I waited for 3 weeks trying to gather responses and following-up which I must say, till date is not to my expectations. Another thing I noticed is most of them are not CASE TRUST Accredited, which makes me believe, that in case of any dispute, as a consumer we are unprotected. What are your view on this?

I started reaching out in the first week of July. I waited for 3 weeks trying to gather responses and following-up which I must say, till date is not to my expectations. Another thing I noticed is most of them are not CASE TRUST Accredited, which makes me believe, that in case of any dispute, as a consumer we are unprotected. What are your view on this?

To be honest, I didn't check for CASE TRUST accreditation. I only confirmed on the HDB approved contractors portion. Believe if we do the necessary research and homework of the ID / company beforehand, it shouldn't be an issue?

I didn't check for Case Trust too, I ask to visit their on going projects. And like most folks here, we selected based on gut feel.. Hehe.. My selected ID took abit of time to reply and provide quotation too, my permit was applied after I provided them with the current owner who signed the indemnity form and hacking works approved. We collected keys on 24th, hacking started on 25th promptly.. So far so good for me.. Hope this helps..

Edited by binzz

I didn't check for Case Trust too, I ask to visit their on going projects. And like most folks here, we selected based on gut feel.. Hehe.. My selected ID took abit of time to reply and provide quotation too, my permit was applied after I provided them with the current owner who signed the indemnity form and hacking works approved. We collected keys on 24th, hacking started on 25th promptly.. So far so good for me.. Hope this helps..

My handover is scheduled for Sep 4th. Want to start work immediately. So I guess I follow your approach so that reno can start as soon as I collect the keys.

Some more info on importance of CASE Trust.. Some say it is not important; some say it is important. Sharing my thoughts on the same below:

Case Trust is like an Insurance. It is for consumer protection. Similar to insurance, there is no immediate benefit because an ID is Case Trust accredited.

But later for some reason, if the ID doesn't fulfill the promise or renovation contractor doesn't complete the works or does shoddy work, CASE will take up your case, do mediation with the ID and and fight for you. Since the ID is CASE trust registered, they have to play by the rules.

If the ID is not CASE trust accredited they are not bound by CASE Trust mediation. The ID can refuse to participate in the mediation. In that scenario, only other option is you have to fight your own case by taking them to court / small claims tribunal, against a firm which has better resources. It is sure lose! You sure will benefit by not having to go to court or running to small claims tribunals for claiming back your due for the shoddy work / quality or incomplete works.

I know friends where renovation went wrong and work stopped suddenly. ID's not responding; but already paid money. He went to CASE; case tried to mediate; but the ID refused because they are not case registered. Later he had to run from pillar to post to get due back.

I am still in the process of choosing an ID for my reno. But haven't come across many with case trust accreditation. So was wondering why?

While searching for some info on CASE and protecting from unscrupulous contractors, I stumbled upon this article on WHY Contractor Complaints are On the Rise in Singapore (And How to Protect Your Renovation):

http://blog.moneysmart.sg/property/why-contractors-complaints-are-on-the-rise-in-singapore-and-how-to-protect-your-renovation/

This article appeared in moneysmart.sg on January 17, 2013.

Hope this helps general public to know about the quantum of renovation contractor disputes and take necessary safeguards to protect themselves.

After all it's your home - you want enjoy living in it. If things go wrong in the beginning itself, it is sure going to leave a sour taste.

My first appointment over last week.

This weekend was hectic visting a few IDs and having discussions.

Also went around town shopping for sanitary ware, cooker hobs and hoods, lightings etc etc. to get an idea of what's available in the market.

Hopefully I will update soon on the findings..

Edited by aluka

I am using flickr for posting pictures.

Hope this help

I am trying to use flickr to post pictures.. there seems to be some problem. Any other option you are aware?

My handover is scheduled for Sep 4th. Want to start work immediately. So I guess I follow your approach so that reno can start as soon as I collect the keys.

IMO you should narrow down to a few ID/contractors you would like to work with. They can be base on hear say, renotalk, friends etc.

There is no point to mass email IDs and expect them to revert exactly to your needs. Some may not be able to understand what you need.

To be fair to them as well, they cant afford to spend hours on one quote unless there are chances for confirmation.

So selectively meet up with some IDs and discuss about what you want and get a more accurate quote.

At the same time, you can have a feel of the ID and see if there is a chemistry or on the same frequency.

Once you have narrow down to 1 or 2, you can invite them to visit your new place when you get the keys.

From there a clearer picture will be presented to all. Certain features are not shown on the floor plan.

Eg, Beams, pipes, drop etc and these will play a huge part in designing. Things you think may fit might not be feasible afterall.

From my experience, trust and communication is very important between you and ID.

It paves the way for a smooth reno. Also the contract you signed on, will not be the final one.

Main reason is that as reno progress, more ideas will flow in, better design will surface as well.

That is when a good ID comes in and work his magic. Generally, no ID will be lead along and focus much until the project is on.

I have a great reno experience, though it took very long (not ID's fault) and almost everything turns out the way I wanted. :good:

• Like 2