Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
aluka

5 Rm Resale Dream Home Project Strathmore

So far, I must say that I am happy with the progress of renovation till date. Good work Mr. Id. Hope the same pace and quality is maintained till the reno is completed.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Stepping into 3rd week of reno.

As per the work schedule shared by the Id, this week works include:

a) complete the remaining tiling works and

b) install kitchen window.

c) carpentry works measurement

Delivery of all sanitary, bathroom fittings, kitchen cooker hob, hood, oven, kitchen sink are also due this week.

nice design you have!

Thank you for your appreciation StephyC. Reality will soon show up. Hope it is like the design. I have just received the revised 3D drawings from my ID. I will be uploading them soon.

I guess you dont have top hung cabinet and any glass back splash for the kitchen?

Hi OceanEleven,

Yes, I have a top hung cabinet and bottom cabinet throughout the kitchen except opposite the washing machine area.

I am not going for a glass back splash for the kitchen. In the initial design, we had the glass backing; After much thought, we decided against because we went for a predominantly white kitchen and adding white or colored glass backing will spoil the look. So we chose a different color (brown) smooth finish tile for areas where we will have top and bottom cabinets. Please check out the 3D perspective, you will get a better idea.

Revised 3D perspective drawings received from my ID:

gallery_62270_450_91610.jpg

Living Room updated with Brass Dixon Beat Lights:

gallery_62270_450_1200.jpg

">http://gallery_62270_450_127733.jpg

Kitchen table top needs to be updated to Kompactplus. We decided to switch from granite to Kompactplus at the last minute to save some costs.

Edited by aluka

And now sharing some lights I have picked-up for bedrooms. Since we have ceiling fans without lights in all the bedrooms, our ID advised us to go for wall lights. The challenge with wall lights is that they are not bright enough to lit up the whole room. So I asked ID to install T5 Tube lights; he was aghast. :angry2: He said to me if you want to install tubelights, then you don't need me. :fire: He instructed me to get some lights that look nice. :blink:

Now I have seen lots of Renotalk members order their lights from Taobao. I don't know Mandarin :bangwall: and so that option was ruled out. Then I looked at AliExpress. Somehow, I was veering to buy in Singapore itself. Suddenly, I hit on an idea :yeah: and got some of these lights when I went on a business travel to India where it is equally cheap.

">http://gallery_62270_450_1024.jpg

">http://gallery_62270_450_2825.jpg

">http://>gallery_62270_450_12091.jpg

Stepping into 3rd week of reno.

As per the work schedule shared by the Id, this week works include:

a) complete the remaining tiling works and

b) install kitchen window.

c) carpentry works measurement

Delivery of all sanitary, bathroom fittings, kitchen cooker hob, hood, oven, kitchen sink are also due this week.

Poor wifey spent nearly 6 hours discussing with ID, Aircon guy and Carpenter yesterday for planning and design of trunking, carpentry measurement etc etc.

All items got delivered too. We noticed that the Heritage Bathroom folks mixed-up a wash basin meant for my master bathroom. Instead of a triangle, they shipped a long pointed triangle. And 1 item still pending delivery - Fujioh Hood. Rest all items arrived safe and sound.

I am all excited sitting overseas and she is all stressed out :notti:

Why dont add a light kit to the fans? That way the light will be more central and better distributed than just wall lamps. Wall lamps tend to be more dim, illuminate a smaller area, they could be use to complement the main light. Wall lamps are also difficult to maintain as they collect dust. For most fans, you can top up for a light kit and given a choice of energy saving or LED lights. Just my thoughts.

Why dont add a light kit to the fans? That way the light will be more central and better distributed than just wall lamps. Wall lamps tend to be more dim, illuminate a smaller area, they could be use to complement the main light. Wall lamps are also difficult to maintain as they collect dust. For most fans, you can top up for a light kit and given a choice of energy saving or LED lights. Just my thoughts.

Hahaha.. you nailed me.

In my previous visit to India, I actually picked up some excellent ceiling fans at really cheap cheap rates from India. You won't believe, they are high speed fans with 1200 RPM and costs less than $50. 5 fans costed me less than $250. In Singapore, I can't even get one single fan for that cost.

I just couldn't resist the temptation of getting those fans! Imagine how much I saved for 5 fans! So that became a headache for my ID. Fortunately, being a good humored person, he suggested I get nice wall lights that match the design. So there I am with my stupid move to save some $ now bring a new problem to my ID.

AIRCON CHOSEN:

My unit came with System 3 aircon installed by previous owner in the 3 bedrooms. Initially, I was thinking of retaining it and add-on an System 2 aircon for the living. However system 2 aircon itself cost came to $2500. Also need to run separate trunking which could spoil the interior.

So we decided to replace the whole thing and go for System 4 Aircon with Inverter. Nowadays, I am told every system is an inverter! So more power savings.

The brand choice was no brainer due to the popularity of "Mitsubishi Electric"; spare parts won't be an issue because of so many people opting to go for the same.

Initially I got confused between Mitsubishi Electric and Mitsubishi Heavy Electricals. Later I found that Mitsubishi Heavy is parallel import and obtaining parts might be difficult.

When I enquired with aircon people and online everyone suggested to go for the following configuration:

18K BTU for Living/Dining + 3 x 10K BTU for 3 bedrooms.

Somehow I was unconvinced if 18K BTU will be sufficient for my large living/dining.

So I decided to shop around; when I met my ID recommended Aircon guy, as soon as he saw my large living, he immediately suggested to go for 26K BTU for Living/Dining instead of 18K. He also was practical in suggesting what trunking will work and how to optimize without spoiling the interior. So I decided to go with him.

The final choice was:

Mitsubishi Electric inverter system 4 MXY4A28 (This is the compressor unit) +

MSYGE26VA Fan Coil Unit for Living / Dining +

MSYGE10VA X 3 for bedrooms

Total Cost $4400 including 22 SWG (gauge) copper for gas and 16 mm water pipe.

Normally people use G23 copper pipe - but he suggested G22 copper pipe for better cooling.