Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Back to the hiddenbed, personally, I prefer the Hiddenbed design to the HWB design, because the hiddenbed allow you to have a desk when the bed is up.

I did think the PD doors is rather expensive for a door.

I opt for the floor tiles but not the doors or bathroom sink, because I know exactly how I want to renovate, and the door doesn't fit into my plans. But I did think about having concrete screed instead. easy to maintain and now worry about crack tiles.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Bedroom mock up

This is a mockup I did a long while ago. I meant to do this for my bedroom.

URGH, for some reason, I just can't paste the link in?

FINALLY, managed to do it!

Edited by kyooko

wow! kyooko! you have put in lots of effort on your thinking process and creating that video! :good:

Looking at the movable hidden bed, reminds me of the office storage system where we have rows of cabinets side by side and you need to row the cabinet out to retrieve the files. I remember that there are tracks on the floor leh... In your video clip, there is no signs of the track. So how do you intend to move your cabinet out?

This is a mockup I did a long while ago. I meant to do this for my bedroom. URGH, for some reason, I just can't paste the link in?FINALLY, managed to do it!

Wah....cool..... So that your design for your bedroom?

Back to the hiddenbed, personally, I prefer the Hiddenbed design to the HWB design, because the hiddenbed allow you to have a desk when the bed is up.

I did think the PD doors is rather expensive for a door.

I opt for the floor tiles but not the doors or bathroom sink, because I know exactly how I want to renovate, and the door doesn't fit into my plans. But I did think about having concrete screed instead. easy to maintain and now worry about crack tiles.

Hidden bed design also pretty expensive too.

mmoh:

The original idea came from the Manhattan flat

But I didn't like the idea of the track on the ground. Dirt will get into it, and I also don't like the feeling on stepping on those in the night. So while brainstorming ideas, I found this

Where the cabinets hang from the ceiling. So the plan is to try and design it such that it will hang from the beams.

The detailed mechanism for the bed is still undergoing different iterations. I am sort of engineering trained, so I have an idea on the stress and forces on the designs.

Basically, for the hiddenbed design, you do not need to order the bed from the Hiddenbed company, because that bed will rather difficult to customise. I found a company in the US that sells the mechanical parts. Hafele Singapore also sells it, though at about 3 times the price. Still thinking if I want to get from them (because the Hafele one has 10 years warrnty, I think).

You can get the mechanism, get your carpenter to fix it for you, then you can design the bed to your heart' content. :D

Hmm...is it really necessary to have so much moving parts for a furniture?

In my experience of movable furniture, it may look nice and work for the first couple of years,

then all of a sudden, it will just fail. Either cannot move anymore, or the thing will just one fine day

derail and *BANG!* crash on the floor.

While the 2 room flats are small, they're not THAT small until need to do this right?
Also, the more you do such hidden furniture, the more people see that you're really desperate for space i feel.

That said, if really that strapped for space, why not go vertical and use a bunk bed?
You can have an additional space below like this video:

She uses it as a small study, but you can easily change it to an extra cute little sofa for reading,

or custom make a closet that can make use of the space?

Edited by ryanyth

Personally, I'd think it is your preference.

I am currently using a loft bed, the IKEA loft bed, for about 10+ years. While I love my loft bed, but I did felt a bit tired of climbing up and down. And I also love to watch TV in bed. I currently can't do that, unless I mount my TV very high up. Which means I can't watch it when I am on ground level.

Another issue with a loft bed, is that I currently have about 70cm from mattress to ceiling, that is not enough for me to sit up properly. If you lower the height of the bed, their you'll have very cramp space beneath it.

The clever idea about multi-purpose furniture is to make it's multi-purpose function not obvious, until it is put into use. But some people think it is too fiddly. I find it a great idea to think around the box.

As for movable furniture, the challenge is to find suitable parts for it, and also make it as smooth as possible. If you get the right joint and parts, I dun see any issue of them lasting a long time. The cabinets in my parent's flat have hinges and wheels. Most are still working after many, many years of use.

But you are welcome to fill your place with fixed uni-functional furniture.. It's your place after all.

mmoh:The original idea came from the Manhattan flathttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYV0qATsyts ButI didn't like the idea of the track on the ground. Dirt will get into it, and I also don't like the feeling on stepping on those in the night. So while brainstorming ideas, I found thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3AJOT4VwSEWherethe cabinets hang from the ceiling. So the plan is to try and design it such that it will hang from the beams.

1st time come across such hanging cabinet with hidden bed....hmm....wonder is it sturdy enough...for long use.

Edited by BunniBoi

I like the manhatten flat! and it really maximised the space and even with 10 pax, it still looks spacious enough. Like that it divides into 2 rooms with curtain so each will still have their privacy. Most liked is the pull out table that can act as the working desk with storage space beneath.

Maybe I can consider having a curtain at my day bed so that guest will have his/her privacy? :notti:

I like the idea of having everything kept within a cabinet rather than exposed. So I seriously think that I will be having many cabinets... and that means my $$ goes to the carpenter's pocket... >_<

I like the manhatten flat! and it really maximised the space and even with 10 pax, it still looks spacious enough. Like that it divides into 2 rooms with curtain so each will still have their privacy. Most liked is the pull out table that can act as the working desk with storage space beneath.

Maybe I can consider having a curtain at my day bed so that guest will have his/her privacy? :notti:

I like the idea of having everything kept within a cabinet rather than exposed. So I seriously think that I will be having many cabinets... and that means my $$ goes to the carpenter's pocket... >_<

I like lots of storage space too....lol....

Love the brainstorming about space-saving furniture.

I was considering installing the Poppi Board (from Italian furniture company Clei) in my bedroom through local distributor Smootree. Gave up when I realised how expensive it could be.