Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi Ah Yong,

I am hacking my 2 toliet, kitchen, , balconcy and living room.

Base on the below content, am I right to say that the increase in price is apply to my living room only? My living room only 450 sqft, but he mention that he need to increase the price for all the area estimate about 1500 sqft.

Pls see the below content:

Please refer to your email of 2 June 2015 enquiring on the use of pre-packed screed (mixture of cement and sand).

Prior to 1 June 2015, HDB Registered Renovation Contractors (RRCs) were required to use pre-packed waterproofing screed when carrying out the replacement of floor finishes in only wet areas such as bathrooms, toilets, balconies and kitchen in HDB flats.

With effect from 1 June 2015, all HDB RRCs are required to use pre-packed material when carrying out renovation in HDB flats. This includes the laying/replacement of floor/wall finishes in all area of the flat, irrespective of dry or wet areas.

The benefits of using pre-packed screed include better housekeeping, cleaner environment and higher quality of finished works.

Please contact our Estate Executive, Mr at Tel: 68663986 If you need further clarification.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Only the living room price. The remaining area like toilet and kitchen no need increase in price. B4 they already using the prepack screed.

No one calculate the whole house 1500 square feet. Your living wont be 1500 square feet. But you mention in your signed quotation, the id never state the prepack screed in the quotation. This case i think in the first place something is amiss.

To be safe, one must make sure every details must be written on the signed quotation. The dimension, the cost breakdown, not in lump sum, the material.

If the company dont want to do that and they just tell you its ok, just let it go. There are hundreds of company in Singapore, as a consumer, its our rights to protect ourself first. End of the day, its our hard earn money.

This should be the industrial standard if they are good and honest company.

Too many people are not familier with the law and regulation, that why many people are getting problems with these id and contractor after they signed with them.

All details must be written in black and white. Most agreement only benefits the company not the customer. Remember to read the terms and condition before signing. If you feel that any term and condition amiss, example some term say that you cannot cancel the reno once you paid a deposit, and if you taking a bank reno loan, however, the bank reno loan was not approved thus the person cant continue the reno. Most id will say, its ok, they can refund the deposit and just cancel the reno quotation. But on the term it say no refund. If the id say can, make sure they write a official letter to state that they can cancel it if the reno loan is not approve.

But to be fair to the id or contractor, the terms is set so that custormer will not just back out anyhow.

Too bad both side have their black sheep. Id or contractor who are not genuine and not honest. Custormer who are greedy and waste people time.

Id and contractor are also people trying to earn a living.

People are afraid to voice out even if their id or contractor not doing their job or after signing, tell the customer additional cost because in the first place, the details was left out. If anything written in black and white. If they failed, just proceed to engage a lawyer to sue them, if proper documentation is produced, once you win the case, the company will bear all charges and responsibility.

Other the other hand people worried that if they make noise, the id or contractor will sabo the project or drag the project. That why if details are set out in the first place, it can prevent a lot of misunderstand and the company cannot anyhow do thing or add additional charges.

Hi,

I think the price increase is a lot as its almost double. Imagine when last time to lay tiles for living room + hallway+ 3 bedrooms cost $4+K but now I was quoted a $8+K.

It wont be twice. If they quote that. Dont sign with that id. The rest of material dont increase cost. Only the prepack cost. Read my earlier post why the id should not charge custormer for the equipment cost. Prior to 1st june, they should already have the equipment and skillset.

These id are just trying their luck, customer whom are not familier with the system will get con.

Hi ,

I get a contact from newspaper, call him and he say price will be increase by $800 for 5 room, he is a uncle and say that he has been doing tile for 40 years, I think his price is reasonable. I think is the ID who mark up a lot.

It wont be 3 days normally. The ideal timeframe could be a week or two depends on the reno works you are applying for.

The new pricing for the prepack screed are not expensive. If they tell you they need to have the equipment and its harder to lay it, yes it might be technically true, but if they are reno company, they dont just buy the equipment for a one time use, so why should they charge extra based on that.

The cost increase is not much. Like i mention previously from hdb Illustration its $0.5 psf, so now its at most $1 psf. So if your whole house is 1500 square feet. Previously its $750, after june 1 its should be $1500. Another 750 more.

There is one id i went, they say they can even waive the prepack screed for me since they already going to earn a lot from my reno quotes of nearly 70k.

But above u mentioned that previously doing a 1500 square feet rm cost $750 but now will $1500. Isn't this a multiplication of 2 meaning double increase? Edited by bsxk

Its only refering to the prepack screed. The rest material example tile cost should not increase.

Whats those id does is that they will tell customer that its harder and need other equipment to do it. Bull****.

The other quote 4k b4 1st june for same area but after 1st june quote 8k, that is cheating the customer.

Edited by Ahyong81

We are talking based on a 1500sqf area as an illustration. So it should only be a 750 increase in total cost (the entire house dry area). And there are id i went, they say they can waive this difference. So how come they can waive this additional cost,but yet some id tell their customer the entire flooring will increase by 50% in cost after 1st june.

Fyi, the flooring tiles price remains the same b4 1st june 2015 and after 1st june 2015.

Edited by Ahyong81

Hi,

I think the price increase is a lot as its almost double. Imagine when last time to lay tiles for living room + hallway+ 3 bedrooms cost $4+K but now I was quoted a $8+K.

The twice i refer was to answer to this reply, its not the same to the cost of prepack screed that is require after 1st june.

1500sqf is based on a 5rm hdb flat size, and that mean its the entire floor area of that house. Prior to 1st june, the wet area and kitchen already using the prepack screed and waterproof memb. So the cost for those so call dry area should not cost so much.

I dont think 5rm and below living room size for hdb is 1500sqf.

Edited by Ahyong81

1500sqf is based on a 5rm hdb flat size, and that mean its the entire floor area of that house. Prior to 1st june, the wet area and kitchen already using the prepack screed and waterproof memb. So the cost for those so call dry area should not cost so much.

I dont think 5rm and below living room size for hdb is 1500sqf.

Actually the $4+k flooring quote is from my bro 5 yrs ago reno. So how much estimate would it be for this prepacked cement for a 4rm flat?