Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Lol, this topic is talking about just the prepack screed for flooring, if based on same material 5 years ago and today market price for same type of tiles price at $3 psf. Not much different, just the prepack screed requirement a few hundred difference.

Edited by Ahyong81

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

But isn't it true that this new screed is more difficult to use thus result in higher labour cost. As this is a new implementation, thus there's no benchmark for it. So contractors are quoting based on what?

Hi Ahyong81,

I wrote to HDB, their reply is about the same as yours. They cannot comment if a 2-3K increase is reasonable or not, just say to get more quote to compare. But they did mentioned based on checks within the industry, the use of pre-packed material for typical renovation works in a 5rm unit flat is estimated to cost about $1500 or more. They say increase in price should not be substantial but I think otherwise.

2 contractors both told me 2-3K increase, how am I going to find a contractor who will quote less.

i also read this article from *** and called them to check with them and apparently it really is only required for flooring from the hdb regulations. Also, they also charged $3.30 to tile the floor per square foot. Add tile and new cost of cement screed should be about $9.50 per square foot. Is that reasonable? Also their price calculator is quite useful to estimate the cost of reno.. encourage you guys to try

Only the flooring. Not wall tiles.

I am currently looking for id to renovate my resale flat. Have been to 5 id and 2 contractor, none will include such thing.

The rules only apply to the flooring. And its not expensive for the 3 in 1 prepack premix. Dont get cheated by those people who say the 3 in 1 premix is expensive. There is one id i went, they say they can give foc to the prepack pemix,i find that worrying... can foc? Read below

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extract from the web

What is the new regulation?
Pre-packed screed is a new requirement for HDB floors. This is in all areas, such as the living room, bedrooms or kitchens. Some areas such as toilets already use some kind of pre-mixed waterproofing screed. The norm for the rest was to use cement mixed with sand. With this new rule, contractors must use pre-mixed cement and sand. HDB contends this reduces wastage and makes things cleaner. While originally slated for December 2014, this ruling is now only in effect from June 2015.

Price of new pre-mixed screed in HDB
What this means for renovation and interior design in Singapore is a price increase. This is due to material cost and labour cost. In terms of material cost, pre-mixed screed is more expensive. Extra trouble of combining cement and sand. This cost will vary as more experience on screeding is gained. A good estimate would be about $0.50 psf. The same can be applied to labour cost. Pre-mixed screed is said to be harder to apply. More effort is needed by workers. There is a learning curve. The industry will equilibrate to a price but an estimate is also about $0.50 psf, making the effective increase in total cost to be about $1 psf. For a 3-room HDB, this is about $700; 4-room HDB, $900; 5-room HDB, $1100.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cost for a entire 4rm hdb only cost 900 for the premix. Of course they can waive it if u going to spend a lot on renovation..examle with a budget of 70k, they already going to earn much.....

Many contractor and their workers are not fully trained to do cement screed with premix. Most of them have some experience in the old method where they mix 4 part of sand to 1 part of black cement. It is not easy to level the floor with premix because it dried up very fast. My experience only. Please consult your ID or Contractor who are the best person to answer your query. You can also go to Youtube to watch how they do cement screed in other country.

For wall tiles, most contractor will use special cement. Something like with glue in it, is very easy to work with and the tiles can stick better than the old method. No need to soak the tiles before installation.

what is the typical PSF pricing for labour and prepack cement to lay wall tiles vs floor tiles (exclude supply of tiles)?

Hi, guy i got a quote from a id said that for my 4 room resale flat the 2 toilets hack and lay wall tiles and floor tiles i must pay for extra $1200 for the premix cement as he said nowdays the premix cement is expensive and need the HDB officer to come up to your units for inspection to get approve it that truth any advise thank :)