Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
nextstep

A Man Need A Cave - My Bachelor Pad Reno Journey

You need a VPN to watched Netflix in Singapore. I am guessing he subscribed to a VPN service if he is not using Viewquest as the broadband service provider?

I switched to Viewquest after my Starhub broadband contract and cable TV contract expire. Tried out Netflix for 1-2 months with the three months free Freedom VPN service and the Apple TV box provided by Viewquest.

http://blog.viewqwest.com/two-easy-steps-to-sign-up-for-netflix/

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Not bad but abit deep right?

Maybe can try their wardrobe range (PAX) can design the inside for umbrella also

Then the outside can choose whatever you want plus dress up with nice handles?

Any height requirement?

If shorter ones their BESTA range (TV consoles) also have less deep options!

thanks ah, will take down note and go do research, as need to go ikea to buy my friend voucher for his Xmas gift as well.

How do you watch Hulu or Netflix using Apple TV? On my Apple TV I don't see these channels.

My ISP MyRepublic have this called "Teleport" service let you stream oversea content without using VPN,

You may want to find the info here https://myrepublic.com.sg/features/#streaming

To get the channel, you will need to log in an US account ID in order to get Netflix and Hulu.

You need a VPN to watched Netflix in Singapore. I am guessing he subscribed to a VPN service if he is not using Viewquest as the broadband service provider?

I switched to Viewquest after my Starhub broadband contract and cable TV contract expire. Tried out Netflix for 1-2 months with the three months free Freedom VPN service and the Apple TV box provided by Viewquest.

http://blog.viewqwest.com/two-easy-steps-to-sign-up-for-netflix/

Not too sure bat Viewquest, I am on MyRepublic.

But Viewquest got give Apple TV, that is nice

Hi Toh,

You can try using the instructions written here to get Netflix on Apple TV, it worked for me when I tried 2 years ago:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-itunes-account-access-usonly-contents-credit-card/

Creating a netflix account can be a bit tricky if you don't have an USA credit card. If you are stuck do a Google on how to trick netflix by using a non-USA credit card and an USA postal code to create the account. It worked for me without the need to create an USA PayPal account mentioned in the viewqwest blog above

Hi Nextstep,

Oh ya I forgot that MyRepublic uses DNS tunnel instead of VPN. I did a fair bit of research on which fiber broadband service provider to use and decided on viewquest, back then MyRepublic had very bad reputation with their technical support and long lead time in installing fiber for new customers, many who signed up during the IT show in August were still not hooked up after December. Viewquest had the most knowledgable technical team and they are way more responsive then the tecchnical support from Singtel and Starhub I dealt with. I hope they maintain their good work and are still active in answering questions on hardwarezone forum.

Edited by sarah833

Thanks sarah and nextstep. My Apple TV currently shows very limited apps. No Netflix or Hulu. Not even a browser. So, I gather the Netflix and Hulu apps will appear if I create and logon to a US iTunes account? And in order to use Netflix or Hulu, I would need to subscribe to a VPN/Teleport service to locate myself in the US.

I think it is too troublesome to create another iTunes account, so i will stick to torrenting like sarah. Haha. Sarah, are you using another paid VPN service now when torrenting? Any idea which is a good and inexpensive VPN service which allows me to install the service on one PC and 4 macbooks?

Hi Toh,

Netflix and contents that are blocked in a country will not show up in the iTunes account created under the blocked country. It is quite troublesome to maintain two iTunes account indeed. I used to be a big apple fan with all things Apple, and even ripped my entire CD collection into the iTunes in my MacBook before a month long trip away. But I find it increasing annoying when I started torrenting - to view video content in the Mac mini on iPad I had to sync the video file through iTunes, and iTunes doesn't accept certain video formats besides it being quite a pain to sync a big Full HD video file. I switched to Sony tablet and sony smartphone , and ditched iTunes completely after my harddisk crashed and subscribed to spotify for music. The much hyped Airplay technology by Apple has its flaws too, speaker makers like Libratone added Bluetooth technology to their Airplay products in recent years for users who need an alternative to Airplay for streaming music wirelessly. For the entertainment hub I find Mac mini is still pretty okay besides looking sleek, I couldn't find a window-based box that is in the same price range that I want to put on the TV console AND bear with the windows operating system.

I am a little slack and have yet to start using a VPN when torrenting :) my friend who is a big movie buff uses ASTRILL, he said it supports up to three concurrent devices.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/vpn-speed-comparison-watch-netflix-singapore-astrill-hma-expressvpn-ipvanish-4552085.html

Edited by sarah833

Nextstep I see that your sink is also vessel style, can you show some photos of the inside of the vanity cabinet ?

Your quartz countertop also black on colour ?

Day 70 - Weekend Update

I think the renovation is going to end very soon (I think), but up till now my shopping still yet to complete.

I don't know why I am never a fast hand fast leg kind.

As for the house, lots of things is done.

1. Quartz Counter Top and backsplash, installed

2. All lights installed

3. Bosch oven, delivered and installed

4. Teka Hob, delivered and installed

5. Vanity Mirror, backsplash installed

6. UniArm installed

7. Power plugs, installed

I went over after my dinner to check out the unit with all the lights on (been a week since I last went), so here is some of the photo.

Living / Dining Room

EDBCD69A-6A43-4816-93E9-EFAE3F17BE5B_zps

Master Bed Room with lots of power plug (all the room power plug are universal)

C404755D-940F-4C9F-8499-8EF2AB371403_zps

Walk in Cabinate and Dry Vanity Area

A80FA2B9-7FCA-4A41-8DF8-00D62AAB8B38_zps

Kithchen

380B7531-243F-4596-948A-4D254D98420E_zps

Edited by Luxexplorer

Hi sarah

I myself have procrastinated in getting a VPN service. But I have just done it! Signed up HMA (Hide My ***) for US$5 per month. I compared HMA with Astrill and I think HMA is better. Astrill is US$5.85 per mth. More importantly, Astrill allows 2 simultaneous access (I did not see 3) but one must be PC/laptop while the other must be mobile (iOS or Android). HMA also allows 2 simultaneous access and both can be PCs as long as they are connected to different servers.

The HWZ forum messages claim Astrill US VPN servers give the fastest speeds but if you are torrenting movies or other material (as opposed to accessing US content sites like Netflix or Hulu), I think the last server you should choose is US server.

Apologies to nextstep for discussing these things here.

Edited by Ks Toh

Hi Toh,

You can try using the instructions written here to get Netflix on Apple TV, it worked for me when I tried 2 years ago:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-itunes-account-access-usonly-contents-credit-card/

Creating a netflix account can be a bit tricky if you don't have an USA credit card. If you are stuck do a Google on how to trick netflix by using a non-USA credit card and an USA postal code to create the account. It worked for me without the need to create an USA PayPal account mentioned in the viewqwest blog above

Hi Nextstep,

Oh ya I forgot that MyRepublic uses DNS tunnel instead of VPN. I did a fair bit of research on which fiber broadband service provider to use and decided on viewquest, back then MyRepublic had very bad reputation with their technical support and long lead time in installing fiber for new customers, many who signed up during the IT show in August were still not hooked up after December. Viewquest had the most knowledgable technical team and they are way more responsive then the tecchnical support from Singtel and Starhub I dealt with. I hope they maintain their good work and are still active in answering questions on hardwarezone forum.

I been a very happy customer of MR, been with them after few month they start and so far no complaint, The best think they did is I wrote them something something on FB and I get a call back almost in 15 - 20 mins and try to solve my problem.

Maybe I hardly make technical support call so I won't know.

Thanks sarah and nextstep. My Apple TV currently shows very limited apps. No Netflix or Hulu. Not even a browser. So, I gather the Netflix and Hulu apps will appear if I create and logon to a US iTunes account? And in order to use Netflix or Hulu, I would need to subscribe to a VPN/Teleport service to locate myself in the US.

I think it is too troublesome to create another iTunes account, so i will stick to torrenting like sarah. Haha. Sarah, are you using another paid VPN service now when torrenting? Any idea which is a good and inexpensive VPN service which allows me to install the service on one PC and 4 macbooks?

Not too sure which generation of Apple TV you are using, if you are using the 3Gen, you can just check your location you will be able to see all the Netflix or Hulu app.

Hi sarah

I myself have procrastinated in getting a VPN service. But I have just done it! Signed up HMA (Hide My ***) for US$5 per month. I compared HMA with Astrill and I think HMA is better. Astrill is US$5.85 per mth. More importantly, Astrill allows 2 simultaneous access (I did not see 3) but one must be PC/laptop while the other must be mobile (iOS or Android). HMA also allows 2 simultaneous access and both can be PCs as long as they are connected to different servers.

The HWZ forum messages claim Astrill US VPN servers give the fastest speeds but if you are torrenting movies or other material (as opposed to accessing US content sites like Netflix or Hulu), I think the last server you should choose is US server.

No worries, I will learn something as well, this is why we are here for, learn from each other. It always good to have this kind of info keep somewhere and here is not a bad place to store it.

Nextstep I see that your sink is also vessel style, can you show some photos of the inside of the vanity cabinet ?

Your quartz countertop also black on colour ?

Luxe, this weekend when I go there, I will snap a photo and show you.

Been very busy and got no time to visit the place. So should be weekend ok?

NextStep I am so jelly of your house!!

Everyday come back see pictures :rofl:

Wow, thank thank thank,

actually I also keep going to your blog that time :P

Btw I PM you a msg, not too sure did you see it.

I been a very happy customer of MR, been with them after few month they start and so far no complaint, The best think they did is I wrote them something something on FB and I get a call back almost in 15 - 20 mins and try to solve my problem.

Maybe I hardly make technical support call so I won't know.

That's good to know. I only have to deal with Viewqwest technical support twice for the fiber broadband at home (to create the Netflix account which is a nightmare and to install a new xiaomi router) but had a lot more dealings with the technical support guys for the installation at my sister's shop house due to bandwidth issues at that area (don't know the technical term) and got it resolved with 1+ month delay. This is the same issue faced by many unhappy new customers who signed up with MR during that period and many were stuck without a broadband service for six months or more if they have already cancelled their existing broadband contract on the assumption that the new fiber broadband from MR will be ready. Being an ex-IT person myself, I was able to get them to explain to me the issues they faced and pushed them to take more control of the installation of the Fiber point handled by the company that does the installation islandwide.

Not too sure which generation of Apple TV you are using, if you are using the 3Gen, you can just check your location you will be able to see all the Netflix or Hulu app.

I have no idea either: ) gave away the apple TV box after playing with it for a week or two.

Hi sarah

Haha you are less of a slacker than me! I just told myself that I will get a VPN service after Christmas. Please do a review and post it on your t-blog :)

So which servers do you choose for torrenting? I didn't pay attention as the downloading of big full HD video files with Viewquest is quite fast, in the past with Starhub broadband I will think twice about downloading a 5-10gb video file but now I go for the highest resolution I can find on the torrent site.

Day 75 - Minor Update

Wow coming to 80 days by next week, I think my reno process is very long hahaha, but I think I am ok with it.
This weekend have to find time and see is there anything in my current house worth carousell and also need to stay plan to pack, as I think I will be moving in a month time, hopefully so can have CNY at my new place.
This is the update of my house.
1. Equib measurement done yesterday, hopefully the package is enough for the whole house.
2. Main Gate is Up (Not a big fan of the handle)
3C53739C-19B8-4939-BB1C-D19F7738A6DC_zps
I have a question here for all of you, if can please advice me, what is the walk space you have from the end of your bed? is 60cm too small (FYI I am a very big guy) ?
Looking at all the size of the bed here, I think I will go back with divan without a headboard to maximise the walk way between the bed and wall.
Edited by nextstep