Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hey, great blog so far.. if no L-boxes/false ceilings, what sorta lighting arrangement are you planning for ? I am currently in the same dilemma but leabing towards simple L-boxes for the lack of better (read: neater) ways to light up the house while still having ceiling fans.

All the best,

S

well everyhouse is unique as their owners so this is the interesting about Tblogging here :).

Yep agreed! But we've faced much problems since we're a 3R. A lot of IDs don't hiew us at all! Hahaha!

Hey, great blog so far.. if no L-boxes/false ceilings, what sorta lighting arrangement are you planning for ? I am currently in the same dilemma but leabing towards simple L-boxes for the lack of better (read: neater) ways to light up the house while still having ceiling fans.

All the best,

S

Just the normal / old school wire cover ups lor. The one piece of plastic one. The others can be hidden behind my cornice. :)

Yep agreed! But we've faced much problems since we're a 3R. A lot of IDs don't hiew us at all! Hahaha!

Just the normal / old school wire cover ups lor. The one piece of plastic one. The others can be hidden behind my cornice. :)

Well for those who didn't hiew you then its opportunity lost and for you no loss as they are probably not the service oriented ID you would want handling your project which is of utmost importance to you anyway.

As much as recommendation and all can occur but the connection and feel an ID gives you thru the meetings you have will definitely contribute to the final BIG decision we all make here with such a BIG purchase no matter what the quotation amount comes up to be.

Hi Karaane,

I'm currently looking for contractors for my resale HDB.

Do you mind sharing with me your contractor's contacts?

my email is Duvet85@gmail.com

Well for those who didn't hiew you then its opportunity lost and for you no loss as they are probably not the service oriented ID you would want handling your project which is of utmost importance to you anyway.

As much as recommendation and all can occur but the connection and feel an ID gives you thru the meetings you have will definitely contribute to the final BIG decision we all make here with such a BIG purchase no matter what the quotation amount comes up to be.

Yep, true! I am committed to my contractor for now. We're going on the site visit this week!

Very interesting and unique theme!

Looking forward to see the outcome of your house.

Thank you!!

Hi Karaane,

I'm currently looking for contractors for my resale HDB.

Do you mind sharing with me your contractor's contacts?

my email is Duvet85@gmail.com

Hey JYoung, I will not be sharing my contractor till my reno starts and ends! Hope you understand.

Key Collection

FINALLY got our key collection appointment, which is this week! Will update once we see the house. Since we're not pantang, we're probably one of the first few to go and open the flats because most Chinese wait till the end of 7th month.

Can't wait to update this space! Contractor is going down with us for site measurements. Will post updates on this post.

DIY IDEAS

We sorta gave up on the cornices + wall moulding trims (or applied mouldings) idea because of what the ID we first met quoted us and because of some houses I saw. NOT well done at all!

This is the closest to "dream living room" I can get, so we are going to attempt to buy the mouldings and either install them ourselves or ask our friendly contractor's opinion! I'm thinking of installing TWO panels first to see if the "feel" is right. If yes, continue, if not, take out and patch the wall!

ac5349a326a119e66c8a9f9e7ce9b3dd.jpg

(Credit: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/danielle-moss-house-tour-189298#_)

AMAZON BUYS

ohqs0l.png

LOVE the Rachael Ray's lazy tools series. Also got some glass storage and Egyptian cotton towels. :)

TAOBAO BUYS

t0i360.png

GROUPON BUYS

Edited by bykaraanne

DIY Ideas

We sorta gave up on the cornices + wall moulding trims (or applied mouldings) idea because of what the ID we first met quoted us and because of some houses I saw. NOT well done at all!

This is the closest to "dream living room" I can get, so we are going to attempt to buy the mouldings and either install them ourselves or ask our friendly contractor's opinion! I'm thinking of installing TWO panels first to see if the "feel" is right. If yes, continue, if not, take out and patch the wall!

ac5349a326a119e66c8a9f9e7ce9b3dd.jpg

(Credit: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/danielle-moss-house-tour-189298#_)

Are you in TB FB group as well? this picture seems familar ! :notti::notti::notti:

Just got our keys today! Everything was flawless -- no defects were found. Going down again tomorrow for pictures.

Living room was a bit small (even though I expected it) but overall true to my floor plan...

Time to start the Taobaoing and wait for the contractor's last word!! :dancingqueen::dancingqueen:

ELECTRONICS (PT 1):

We went to the electronic stores multiple times... And basically decided on everything we needed to buy. I'm trying very hard not to buy any Korean electronics (personal principle + preference) so that generally helped us decide what we wanted.

(1) Panasonic 2-Door Fridge (NR-BR347Z)

Thought long and hard about this vs a Hitachi and Mitsubishi fridge since I heard so many good things about the latter brands. But at the end of the day, this fit our needs -- compact and slim; huge vegetable compartment (we needed this for our bunnies); freezer at the bottom that's not pull-out kind (personal preference) and also very wallet-friendly

NR-BR347ZSSG-Product_ImageGlobal-1_sg_en

(2) Panasonic 55" TV + 40" TV (55CX700S + 40CX600S)

This was the hardest choice of all! Cannot decide between Sony and Panasonic, also cannot decide between old and newer model. Since Courts offering a lot of NTUC vouchers for this model, we decided to go for the more expensive one. I feel like I'm going to end up with a whole house of Panasonic electronics, since I already own a Panasonic microwave-cum-convection oven; rice cooker; instant water kettle and air purifier. Haha! Not by choice!

We didn't do this on purpose. Similar smaller model for the master bedroom, because I need a TV playing US sitcoms to sleep. Cultivated this habit since hubby was in NS! Haha.

TH-55CX700S-Product_ImageGlobal-1_sg_en.

TH-40CX600S-Product_ImageGlobal-1_sg_en.

(3) Bosch Hob and Hood (PCC695B90K / DHI623GSG)

I've been in love with their stainless steel range (just the aesthetic and finishing of it) and the German brand (haha!) since a long time ago. So decided on a simple 60cm hob and hood. I cook rather often, so decided not to hack down the service yard wall (actually wanted to hack and change to glass panels, but decided against it). Wanted an all-German kitchen but the fridges I buey beh loh... :drunk:

MCSA040756_PCC615B90E_def.jpg

MCSA00568920_DHI625R_def.jpg

Edited by bykaraanne

ELECTRONICS (PT 2):

(4) Bosch Washing / Drying Machine (WVH28422GB)

Because a stacked washer and dryer would render the retractable drying rack useless (provided by HDB), we decided to go with a hybrid since we won't be using the dryer as often... I like drying my clothes in the sun. But I wash quilts and our protectors every once in a while and it would be handy to have a dryer... Also would be useful during the rainy seasons. Always aimed for the Made in Germany washer but that's just $200 apart from this model. So decided to be practical!

MCSA00848090_WVH28422GB_def.jpg

(5) Bosch Built-in Oven (HBN331E2J)

Simple built-in oven (low-end range) because I only bake like twice a year -- once for Pineapple Tarts during CNY and once for the Turkey at Christmas, haha -- but decided it would be handy to have one anyway since I bake salmon etc from time to time. Already have the non-built in all-in-one one from Panasonic, but aiya, since building kitchen cabinets, right?! And not big enough for the turkey.

MCSA030169_HBN331E2_def.jpg

(6) Karcher Water Filter Vacuum Cleaner

I have adult asthma since I moved into my current rental place with 2 construction sites nearby, thus the air purifier. Already using a Karcher dustbag vacuum with HEPA filter, but was recommended this, so we're gonna upgrade. We LOVE our Karcher vacuum though!

11952070_popup.jpg?150721

(7) Mitsubishi Starmex System 3

No need to say more about this. Decided on this immediately.

MSYGE10VA_MSYGE10VA_1024x1024.jpg?v=1421

Edited by bykaraanne