Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Wow, enjoying the bathtub soon... haha, my aircon piping going to be run tomorrow, only the piping.... a later date then install the aircon fancoil unit. :)

Haha! Hope your ceilings are ok.

Mine my contractor say no need waste money for two trips... So I followed his lead. :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Mine was 3 trip lol.... only need to pay for 2 trip.

1st is for site survey

2nd lay the cable and piping

3rd install compressor and fancoil

This is due to the fact that i basically hack the entire house and most of the wall and reposition the wall by using hollow block wall and whole house re-wiring. This causes a lot of patching work as well.

In order for a seamless design and easier for painting works.

Mine was 3 trip lol.... only need to pay for 2 trip.

1st is for site survey

2nd lay the cable and piping

3rd install compressor and fancoil

This is due to the fact that i basically hack the entire house and most of the wall and reposition the wall by using hollow block wall and whole house re-wiring. This causes a lot of patching work as well.

In order for a seamless design and easier for painting works.

Wah haha. Big project. :)

Nice!

Does anyone know anyone who's painted the new BTO's main gate and doors?

It's sooo expensive to change it but I sorta-kinda hate my BTO's main gate and main door. The gate, not so much, but the color of the maindoor... NO!

My contractor insists that laminating it is not lasting (though I know lots of people do it) and recommended spray paint (which is super expensive) or normal painting (the cheapest option of the 3).

I know the ang mohs in the US love to paint on veneer (the HDB main doors are veneer doors, right?) so I wonder if anyone has done it?

I want to paint it a soft grey and my gates a matte black.

Thoughts? :help:

Edited by bykaraanne

I did a bit of quick research! hehe

1. http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/5159-paint-the-main-door/

That's a topic from years ago on DIY-ing the main door painting process. It's rather too technical for me but I guess this shows that the doors can be painted?

2. http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/64926-eas-habitat-buangkok/page-2

Here's a page with a photo of painted BTO doors. I've seen more detailed posts on other t-blogs on their painted doors, but I can't remember offhand and google didn't turn their photos up in my search, pity!

:paint:

I did a bit of quick research! hehe

1. http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/5159-paint-the-main-door/

That's a topic from years ago on DIY-ing the main door painting process. It's rather too technical for me but I guess this shows that the doors can be painted?

2. http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/64926-eas-habitat-buangkok/page-2

Here's a page with a photo of painted BTO doors. I've seen more detailed posts on other t-blogs on their painted doors, but I can't remember offhand and google didn't turn their photos up in my search, pity!

:paint:

Thanks babe!!

My Googling has gotten me odd results. Checking them both out now!

Are you doing anything to your main door?

From all my research these few days, I will be one of the very very very very few who paints the new main doors. Most paint the inner room doors (which I didn't opt in for).

Contractor still insists laminate will be a bad choice! :dunno:

Most people go for laminate, if paint although the cheapest, however most of veneer has a layer of coating, if you paint over it will not really be nice. Unless your id got his way of painting the door to make it look lasting and amazing.

Most people go for laminate, if paint although the cheapest, however most of veneer has a layer of coating, if you paint over it will not really be nice. Unless your id got his way of painting the door to make it look lasting and amazing.

He insists laminate will not last, and he doesn't like to do non-lasting things for people. And i trust him la, he's been right so far.

I think need to sand then can paint. Mine is a contractor, he is a very practical guy so he says he'll try to think of something to make it look nice.

But tbh, how can it be uglier than the colour now... Hahahaha :sport-smiley-004:

Internal room doors should also be the same material provided by HDB right? Those are often painted. Just main door not many people paint...

:) see his skill liao. Hahahaha

His recommendation is I keep it the original color one lor.

Just that I insist and insist cus I don't want the whole house to flow with a theme then got a jarring main door!

:dunno:

And the HDB fire-rated doors so expensive. Wanna change also $1k+.

For me, i understand a good contractor or id will try to help the customer save on cost, however sometimes for the theme of the house to blend, i still insist the nicer option to proceed. There goes the same for other type of installation example laying of the fiber cable..

Earlier, they came and laid the cable, intially he die die want to go from another direction, however i insist that he should run the other way cause my id has already laid the trunking for the fiber cable. Some thing has to be insisted cause from what i understand, some contractor or id will ask you not to do certain thing not because its much more costly to do, its just that they find it harder to do it based on their capability or resources.

To make their job easier and a better profit margin, they will give any reason to say its bad. A good contractor or id will ask the owner opinion and give him or her the option to do or not, not insisting on sure can do or cannot do.

My id so far, he helps me to save cost on unnecesary stuff and if there is any works that can have a better design, he will ask me first and we will discuss the pro and con of each solution, the final decisiom power lies in me. This is how a good contractor or id should represent.

A lot of extra work was found during the past few week, but he did not charge me additional for it, he absorb those cost, example for the flooring, since its a 30 over years old flat, they need additional floor screed to make the floor even. It just a matter how much they want to set their profit margin. Ultimately, they already earn a lot from all these renovations.

:)

Edited by Ahyong81

Yeah I agree. My contractor is the same. He's really quite honest IMO. He told me all 3 options can be done and painting isn't the nicest, but all 3 options aren't lasting. Later one year later spoil then very wasted.

So many people laminate the main door though, but for some reason I can only find one t blog now who did it. Haha.

So hard!