Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hueychye

Paint The Main Door..

Those main door for newer flat you better remove the layer of laquar before you paint a new coat of paint else you will see yr paint peel of after sometime.. and the door might not slose properly cause of the door getting "thicker" :P

I just browse thru and found this useful forum.

Sorry what do you mean by remove the layer of laquar? Is it the original paint?

I want to paint mine, any web that I can see the designs for DIY?

TIA

Edited by smhong746

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi

Anybody done D.I.Y painting for the main door before?

What kind of paint i should buy?

Thank you

1. Apply under coat for gloss enamel(e.g. Kansai Unilux)

2. Sandpaper gently

3. Apply gloss enamel paint (e.g. Nippon Bodelac) the next day

Edited by Diavonex

I suspect my main door and my bed room doors is painted with water-based paint. I actually want to paint to the wood colour. What should I do? If I had to sand the door, I think I will spend 24hr for one door.. which is too time consuming.

I heard got something call Paint Stripper, can it remove water based paint coat. But I worry about the bed room doors because got wood veins.

Anyway to paint the door back to it original colour wood. I saw Nippon got this paint call Timberlac Wood Varnish, and also Dulux Timber Colour. Can I used this to directly paint to get the effect.

Edited by kewin

Nippon Timberlac Wood Varnish is not a paint, it is a type of varnish ... u will normally need 2 coating for varnishing, i.e. sand, varnish, sand again, varnish again ... after varnishing, ur door will be thicker, and if u r not skillful, u will make ur door "cry", so need to take note ...

if u just want to change the door colour to natural wood colour, u may consider "stain", which will be easier to apply compare to paint and varnish, no need to use brush, some cloth will do the job ... :notti:

Sorry, I still don't understand.

My door has not been painted for almost 15 years! What should I do first, can anyone guide me step by step?? Thanks!

Edited by smhong746

Sorry, I still don't understand.

My door has not been painted for almost 15 years! What should I do first, can anyone guide me step by step?? Thanks!

sorry, my reply is meant for kewin, as for ur question, i tot Diavonex has explained quite clearly in 3 steps ... just to add a bit more details

1) to paint ur door, u need 2 types of paints, one is an undercoat paint, the purpose of this paint is to prepare ur door for the enamel paint, e.g. before u apply shower foam, u need to wet ur body, something like that

2) the second paint is enamel paint, which is oil based, before applying this paint, sand the door lightly will make sure the paint can better attach to ur door

3) the above will make sure u do a good paint job to ur door, however if u want to take shortcut and save some time, my suggestion is just buy Nippon Bodelac (which is meant for wood and metal) and paint the door, but the finish may not be that professional and ideal ...

if u still not quite sure what to do, i suggest u go to those paint shop or DIY shop like Homefix or Self-fix, and talk to the pple there to learn more details ...

sorry, my reply is meant for kewin, as for ur question, i tot Diavonex has explained quite clearly in 3 steps ... just to add a bit more details

1) to paint ur door, u need 2 types of paints, one is an undercoat paint, the purpose of this paint is to prepare ur door for the enamel paint, e.g. before u apply shower foam, u need to wet ur body, something like that

2) the second paint is enamel paint, which is oil based, before applying this paint, sand the door lightly will make sure the paint can better attach to ur door

3) the above will make sure u do a good paint job to ur door, however if u want to take shortcut and save some time, my suggestion is just buy Nippon Bodelac (which is meant for wood and metal) and paint the door, but the finish may not be that professional and ideal ...

if u still not quite sure what to do, i suggest u go to those paint shop or DIY shop like Homefix or Self-fix, and talk to the pple there to learn more details ...

Thanks xmen2, u have gave me detailed steps...

:good::bow:

To re-paint door, one got to know what's the material of your door and what's the existing finishing.

Older version of HDB main door is normally the single swing door with painting that it cannot be varnished.

Current version is those double leaf swing doors in brown colour that is normally in varnish finishing. This can be re-varnish or to paint it with paint meant for metal or wood uses.

Once the varnish finishing door is re-paint, it cannot be re-varnish.

Varnishing means staining of wood like rosewood, teak, ashply etc with wood dye and finish with lacquer to give a harden & shinning finishing.

To re-varnish existing varnish finishing door, just sand the door lightly and apply varnish of the same or darker tone finishing. Use the 1litre can varnish about $10/- for convenience.

Wooden door can be solid wood like nytoh with varnish finishing, mdf ply in spraying finishing, normal timber in painting finishing or wood with laminate finishing etc.

It is better that u post the door which u want to re-paint.

One more thing is that if u buy paint like bordelac, ask the vendor what solvent to use.

Over the shelf paint is normally slowing drying paint. U cannot mix turpentine base with thinner and quick dry paint is not suitable for use on wood.

Hope my view is useful.

To re-paint door, one got to know what's the material of your door and what's the existing finishing.

Older version of HDB main door is normally the single swing door with painting that it cannot be varnished.

Current version is those double leaf swing doors in brown colour that is normally in varnish finishing. This can be re-varnish or to paint it with paint meant for metal or wood uses.

Once the varnish finishing door is re-paint, it cannot be re-varnish.

Varnishing means staining of wood like rosewood, teak, ashply etc with wood dye and finish with lacquer to give a harden & shinning finishing.

To re-varnish existing varnish finishing door, just sand the door lightly and apply varnish of the same or darker tone finishing. Use the 1litre can varnish about $10/- for convenience.

Wooden door can be solid wood like nytoh with varnish finishing, mdf ply in spraying finishing, normal timber in painting finishing or wood with laminate finishing etc.

It is better that u post the door which u want to re-paint.

One more thing is that if u buy paint like bordelac, ask the vendor what solvent to use.

Over the shelf paint is normally slowing drying paint. U cannot mix turpentine base with thinner and quick dry paint is not suitable for use on wood.

Hope my view is useful.

:o Looks like it is not an easy task.

Mine is the older version.. Do you mean posting the photo of it?

It's not difficult.

Just light sanding for the door using grade 80 sandpaper

One tin 1 litre of Bordelac, dilute with a little of turpentine - (1 beer bottle is only $1.50, keep the rest for after job cleaning)

Get a pc of good brittle brush of 1.5" for painting the unreach edges.

paint all the edges in gentle touch which the roller is unable to reach.

Use good 4" roller - $1.00 a pc, don't buy the 10pcs for $3.50.

Dip the roller into the paint and roll onto the paint tray to get a light and even amount of paint then apply onto door without pressing much force on it. Don't keep on re-painting onto the same spot before the first coat is dry.

I paint the main gate, a storeroom door and varnish the main door with just 4hrs of work.

Auntie can do it, so u can

How to paint iron gate:

1. Apply paint removal with brush; Taxite paint removal

2. Remove old pain with a wire brush and scrapper

3. Sandpaper if necessary

4. Wash paint removal away with soap water

5. Clean with a wet piece of cloth

6. Apply under coat (Kansai Unilux) when gate is dry; use roller brush

7. Sandpaper gently

8. Apply enamel paint the next day

DSC09674Medium.jpg

DSC09679Small.jpg

DSC09685Small.jpg

It's not difficult.

Just light sanding for the door using grade 80 sandpaper

One tin 1 litre of Bordelac, dilute with a little of turpentine - (1 beer bottle is only $1.50, keep the rest for after job cleaning)

Get a pc of good brittle brush of 1.5" for painting the unreach edges.

paint all the edges in gentle touch which the roller is unable to reach.

Use good 4" roller - $1.00 a pc, don't buy the 10pcs for $3.50.

Dip the roller into the paint and roll onto the paint tray to get a light and even amount of paint then apply onto door without pressing much force on it. Don't keep on re-painting onto the same spot before the first coat is dry.

I paint the main gate, a storeroom door and varnish the main door with just 4hrs of work.

Auntie can do it, so u can

dilute with a little of turpentine - Little meaning? A capful or? Very sorry, I am totally new to DIY..

TIA ;)

How to paint iron gate:

1. Apply paint removal with brush; Taxite paint removal

2. Remove old pain with a wire brush and scrapper

3. Sandpaper if necessary

4. Wash paint removal away with soap water

5. Clean with a wet piece of cloth

6. Apply under coat (Kansai Unilux) when gate is dry; use roller brush

7. Sandpaper gently

8. Apply enamel paint the next day

hi, may i know what if i skip step 1 to 7, and only do step 8, what will happen to the gate? :unsure:

dilute with a little of turpentine - Little meaning? A capful or? Very sorry, I am totally new to DIY..

TIA ;)

test to see, about 10ml to 20ml