Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ccting

Resale Reno On Budget - Scandinavian Inspired

last but not least.... my big big master bed room... hahaha :jammin:

gallery_71054_897_329851.jpg

the 16 feet built in wardrobe!!! don't get too envy ah... :bleah:

gallery_71054_897_637002.jpg

and there is a big window (see the bigger window in the pic below) sealed up by the wardrobe... we will hack the wardrobe and open up this hidden window to make the room looks brighter...

gallery_71054_897_12428.jpg

gallery_71054_897_286998.jpg

last but not least... back to the living room again...

gallery_71054_897_306099.jpg

we will do a total reno... pocket burnt :~:~

reno work has not yet started as reno permit is still under processing... hopefully we can start work asap

so stay tuned for updates...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Yeah!!! the hacking will start tomorrow.. :yeah: .. still waiting for permit to hack the wall... hope it will be approved soon... hahaha...

our proposed layout for the house...

gallery_71054_897_26815.jpg

bedroom 2 will be the study room and bedroom 3 will be the guestroom.... as for the existing dining area (empty space on the right of the bedroom 3), it will be converted to our cozy/relax corner...

as my Mr knows how to draw sketches using software.... this is look our kitchen will look like

gallery_71054_897_251481.jpg

we will construct a glass door, bottom kitchen cabinet with glass on top of it...

gallery_71054_897_365783.jpg

we are waiting for permit to hack the wall between the kitchen and service balcony... pushing the sink inwards to the service balcony area...

:yamseng:

Congratulations on your new big home .. I have always like smaller units but looking at yours makes me wish I have a bigger flat ;) what a big space to build your dream home.

I have also the approval to hack the floor but pending wall hacking .. we are in the same boat ! Look forward to seeing your progress and all the best

Edited by Luxexplorer

Congratulations on your new big home .. I have always like smaller units but looking at yours makes me wish I have a bigger flat ;) what a big space to build your dream home.

I have also the approval to hack the floor but pending wall hacking .. we are in the same boat ! Look forward to seeing your progress and all the best

Hi Luxexplorer,

bigger house means spend more money for the house and on reno.. hahaha... and also more housework to do :bleah: ... today the hacking starts and the team removed quite a bit of the built in cabinets... so looking forward to see the progress each day... haha... all the best to your reno journey :good: and enjoy!!! hahah...

Hi all,

Hacking work has started... but I'm still waiting for hdb's approval to hack down a wall...

to sidetrack abit.. I do not know if anyone feels the same as my Mr and me... we transferred about 50% of the reno cost to our id before the start of the reno... but because during then, we are still waiting for permit to hack the floor...so we do feel a bit of insecure.. it is not that we don't trust our id or what... but you know.. when you paid quite a huge sum of $$, you do expect to see something done right??? haha... or maybe we are too noob for reno alr... haha... so when the id msg us and told us that hacking work can start, we were overwhelmed by excitement... it is like... finally everything can fall into place le... haha...

so.. the whole place looks like a war zone now..

Day 1

gallery_71054_897_3476.jpg

the master bedroom toilet

gallery_71054_897_6317.jpg

fast forward to Day 3

dining_zpsa7qntd36.jpg

still look like war zone :fire:

but actually I am very looking forward to see the raised ceiling in the mbr and the 传说中的window... that is the hidden window behind the wardrobe.... today.. i finally get to see it!! haha... happy with what i saw :thumbs up:

20151119_171653_zpsakuafujs.jpg

20151119_171814_zpsmve2liw6.jpg

i think the raised ceiling is more than 30cm tall loh!!

the workers will clear the debris tomorrow... slowly feeling like a house owner le :notti: ..

Edited by ccting

The raised ceiling!!

Facepalm why people decided to seal a window and raised ceiling.

Can't wait to see what you create :)

Thank you :D

i think the previous owner sealed it because of feng shui loh!! haha...

We went to the house to take a look after the debris were cleared...

living room

20151122_111839_zpskrj7iuuq.jpg

cozy corner and living room

dining room and cozy corner

20151122_111844_zpsin31tkzq.jpg

20151122_111913_zpsbydydaoo.jpg

kitchen

20151122_111859_zpscob7xsdj.jpg

just gotten approval from hdb to hack this wall :jammin:

20151122_111920_zpsdlkokwsq.jpg

kitchen and dining area

20151122_112018_zpszhb9qpxf.jpg

the walk way to bedrooms... dunno why the previous owner made the false ceiling so low... the whole house looks so much better with the false ceiling removed... but there are 2 "lobangs" on the ceilings of the walkway.. maybe will install 2 decor lightings here..

20151122_112038_zps63lbrqdt.jpg

masterbed room..

20151122_112101_zpsztjutjvi.jpg

raised ceilings and the hidden window

20151122_112112_zps7hogvqnc.jpg

20151122_112124_zps5sbfpjfj.jpg

we did quite a bit of things this weekend

1. went to Tampoi lightings

- price is indeed good, about much cheaper than SG

- we plan to get all our LED down lights (Philips - 9w and 11w), ceiling lights (for store, bathrooms), 3 KDK fans and 2 Elmark fans (improvised version - added lights to the fans) and 2 instant heaters

- we have not bought any as we do not drive... we probably need 2 trips to bring back all the stuff..

- we will update again when we bought the stuff (the shop does not allow photography)

2. went to meet ID to discuss

- to finalise electrical and lighting plans

- change of sliding window to casement window (master bedroom)

- change of veneer solid doors to classic door (budget consideration and that we don't really need a solid door)

- ask about timeline for reno...

as all of us know.. from now till next feb, there are lot of holidays... and the reno sector will rest for 1 month during the CNY period... we hope the reno

can be completed before CNY... so we don't need to wait for the 1 month long reno hols...haha...

so below is the proposed timeline

- 1st to 3rd week - lay tiles

- 4th week - plaster wall (the previous owner had rockstone wall...)

- 5th - 7th week - aircon installation, electrical work, plumbing and built-in

- 8th -10th week - painting, lay vinyl floor, install lights, fan and doors

3. went to see see look look sofa

- we like the cellini L-shaped Ross sofa... selling at $1199.. cheaper than many of the sofas we have seen and it's so far the only sofa both of us like...

but it's a little huge for us... the sofa is 2.9m long... we are still KIV-ing it... haha...

download_zpspedyxs1x.jpg

Edited by ccting

Exciting "war zone " in your case and I am equally excited to see the photos. Big spaces can have so much happening in there :) and that raised ceiling. .. omg

When you have so much space don't get too small piece as they will look out of place . 1 or 2 big piece actually draws the eyes attention and visually enlarge space. And agai I wish I can have a 2.9 meter sofa. Lol

Edited by Luxexplorer

Some updates on the house...

this week has been quite a constructive week for us... we bought the following items:

1.Tecno hob and hood from Hoe Kee, we went to the main show room to look at the items they have.. including toilet bowls and vanity set... however in the end, we bought the toilet bowls from another shop..

we asked the salesperson which is better, Tecno or Fujioh.. she said the suction for Fujioh is stronger... but Tecno is good enough for normal household cooking... the bundle set purchase is only $668... on Tecno official website, the package deal costs $768... so we save $100 here :thumbs up:

hob_zps4qgyovi6.jpg

T22TG, but in brushed silver colour

hood_zpsrjg4hjg1.jpg

TH968T

2. 2 Baron toilet bowls at $408 ($195 each plus 2 plastic holders/adaptors.. )

we did the butt test as many bloggers suggested :bleah: we basically sit on many toilet bowls to see which one has more feel :D

many people will usu go to Balestier area to find their vanity sets and toilet bowls... but you can drop by Jalan Besar area.. the price there are quite competitive and definitely, there are a wide range of variety and products to choose from... you can buy vanity sets, heaters, rainshower sets.. the best is that most of the bosses tend the stores themselves, so you can go directly to them and ask for the best price :notti:

3. Daikin system 3 - 3MKS71/ FTKS25X2 + FTKS35 (9+9+12 BTU) 3 ticks energy efficiency

my colleagues recommended this person to me... they used his service 2 to 3 years ago and they are happy with him... so I'm more keen to engage him too... this person is very prompt and friendly... I successfully bargain for a better price :notti: ..

I think reno project is really fun... esp when you have the time to spare and go and find the items you need for the house... although it is quite a tiring process and that there are lots of new info to learn, but every decisions we make will determine the practicality and functioning of the house... if we get ID, we might not need to go through this fun and tedious process as ID will probably decide many things for you..

we are enjoying this reno project.. and we hope you will enjoy yours too :yeah:

last week, we went for a short getaway to bandung for 5 days :P .. so we leave the reno totally to our id... haha...

we were told that cement screeding, waterproofing and tiling will take about 3 weeks... so meanwhile we really chill during our hols as there are nothing much to see.. so when we touched down last Sunday, we put down our luggages and then we chiong to our new place to see see look look... haha...

to our surprise, the tiling works is about 80% to 90% done.. most of the area are tiled up except the skirtings, the floor tiles for the 2 toilets and wall tiles for masterbed room toilet..

the tiles used for living room, dining area, cozy corner, kitchen and walkway... as you can see... there are random striations on the tiles...

20151129_160639_zpspriokhdw.jpg

the wall tiles for common toilet is up

20151129_160517_zpshvsn2qsg.jpg

the wall between service balcony and kitchen is hacked... making the whole place looks brighter and more airy..

20151129_160649_zpshprqnvh1.jpg

the cement based for the kitchen bottom cabinets are laid...

20151129_160745_zpsaelb9y7a.jpg

like many bloggers have said... must go down to the site to see see look look so that you can rectify any mistakes or miscommunication asap... so we spotted 2, and we clarified w the id..

the first one... is the size of the fridge... by default, the id will leave a 90cm space... but we don't need such a big space for fridge... after measuring the fridges at our parents' home, we decided to leave a 80cm space... because we are a small family, we don't need such a huge fridge ... bigger fridge means we will store more junk and also consume more electricity.. also, even if we have new family members, the existing space can allow us to fit in a 450 litres fridge.. which is more than enough.. And we don't want such a big space for a small fridge, then we will have a big lobang at the sides for the fridge... the lobang will look ugly and worst of all, not space efficient and collect dust only... so we told the id to reduce this space and the 10cm will go to the kitchen cabinet...

20151129_160816_zpsvk4hka8p.jpg

Note: decide of the fridge size you want and tell the ID how much space to leave for your fridge... at the same time, allow 10cm to 15cm gap for further fridge expansion.. haha

the next one is the concrete screed laid for the kitchen base... we wanted the kitchen cabinet to stop at the pipe area... then leave the area after the pipe to the window of the service balcony empty.. but the workers laid the concrete all the way to the window area... already inform the id and he quickly admitted it's his mistake, will rectify it for us :thumbs up:

20151129_161227_zpsna4bu6r2.jpg

after the tiling, the workers will plaster the wall (make smooth the wall) as the previous owner had rockstone :wacko: ...

i am still waiting for my amcon shipment.. my sink is there and it will only arrive next week... i will need to order my vanity set from taobao soon as shipment takes quite a while...

i will go and see see look look my new house today again... will update soon..

Edited by ccting

H all,

sorry for the wait... my reno progress has been slow recently... so nothing much to update until now... haha...

FIRST... the mistakes in last post have been rectified.. :sport-smiley-018:

1. fridge area reduced to 80cm,

2. base of kitchen cabinet reduced... and tiled up..

20151203_181428_zpsso5gzprv.jpg

20151208_124638_zpswuoqyuwo.jpg

NEXT, cement screed wall for kitchen done... probably the sealen hasn't been applied yet...

we decided to use concrete screed to save some $$ for kitchen wall tiles... we thought that since we are using glass backsplash with hood together with normal cooking... and that our cooking area is near the window... we need not worry too much about oil stain on the wall of the kitchen.. so hence we decided to use concrete screed instead... haha.... :notti:

20151208_130240_zpsqf6zysrj.jpg

20151208_130228_zpsh4imw8op.jpg

20151208_130325_zpsa25e6kfe.jpg

my Mr and I both like the finishing of the concrete screed wall... happy with it :good:

TBC...

Edited by ccting

meanwhile.... we are still waiting for plastering works to start tmr and it will only be done by next fri :(... only when plastering work is done, then the other work such as electrical work and plumbing can be done...

in case you do not know why we plaster the wall... it is because the previous owner had rockstone wall which looks like this...

20151208_130356_zpsdf9euckm.jpg

and we are quite disturbed by the roughness of the wall.. so we decided to plaster smooth the wallssss... so those who are looking for resale houses... you need to also examine the wall of the house... this plastering alone costs $2.5k to $3.5K depending on size of house... so have to consider probably... we only learnt our lesson after we bought the house :wacko: ...

material to be used for plastering...

20151208_130248_zpssy2vg0bd.jpg

protective layer laid... all ready for plastering and the rest of the reno works..

20151208_130342_zps7ynooblg.jpg

Moving on...

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

2 super bad news for me...

the first one is the time needed to do plastering.... i had previous arranged the aircon person to come on the 15 Dec for 1st installation.. but plastering work can only be done by 18 Dec... so the aircon installation is postponed to 22Dec... :~

next... Amcon forwarder told me my goods are still trapped in China custom... I thought that I will be able to receive the shipment by this week as i asked for it to be sent out on the 23Nov... now everything is still in China :bangwall: sian max!!! my sink is in that shipment and I needed the sink to build the concrete support!!!:curse: so now I can only wait!!! because Amcon isn't sure when the shipment can be released from the custom side!!! pray hard that the shipment can be release asap.. like now... haha...

because of the delay in the above 2... i think my reno work will delay... hopefully everything can still be done before CNY... praying very hard now...

meanwhile... i end the post with the view from my house.. :notti:

20151203_182240_zpshpsdjwbc.jpg

20151203_182212_zpsna2bcy1n.jpg

my Mr and I consider this a good view as it is far from the opposite block.. :bleah: