Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Catt

Small House Holding Our Big Dreams

29 minutes ago, Catt said:

24 Sep'16 Update:

So the gate finally got changed and I'm as happy as a bird. The gate reminds me of those mesh-screened doors they use in apartments in Australia. So when I miss those days in Uni I just need to look over and pretend I'm there surrounded by stinkin' flies and spiders and spitfires.

oh8oyw.jpg

Had to mosaic out my unit number for P&C reasons. The numbers are lasercut into the gate so I don't have to fuss over getting signage. Here's another example I was sent by the Steeldios rep (Thank you very very much @trcd for the contact!!)

bi8qy9.jpg

Now I need to muster up energy to putty and paint the wooden frame!!

So jelly of your gorgeous gate! Was sorely tempted to change mine after seeing something similar on a fb advert (lol) but we decided to save the money since our gate is still new. 

Btw did the lemon water work in getting rid of the fumes in your home? 

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
5 minutes ago, kingandbin said:

So jelly of your gorgeous gate! Was sorely tempted to change mine after seeing something similar on a fb advert (lol) but we decided to save the money since our gate is still new. 

Btw did the lemon water work in getting rid of the fumes in your home? 

Ok I did something really gross. I left the buckets of lemons and water in the house for 6 days as I didn't have the opportunity to go down and clear it. It was really gross...some of the lemons turned dark brown (toxins?!!) and of course they went a little moldy. But the house no longer reeks!! Actually I think just plain water in the buckets would've done the trick :P

14 minutes ago, stray said:

Gate is very chio! :wub: You have that stencil cut-out for your unit numbers too? I like it! Are you painting your door lilac? heh heh

I'm getting a wire mesh gate too. Do you mind PM-ing the price from Steel Dios? I got a quote from Doctor Doors and it's more pricey than what they listed on their website! So zzzzzzz 

I am not painting my door lilac... OMG :wacko:. Yup I have my numbers lasercut on the gate. Very lazy to go find a unit number sign. I've PM-ed you by the way. My colleague recommends MyDigitalLock...maybe you can ask them for quotes to compare?

31 minutes ago, Eileen Tan said:

Hi Catt, 

I will be meeting Hoong Fatt Heng to go thru the estimates, any chance you can share your quotation with me?

Regards, 

Page 4 of this blog. 3/4 down the page in response to Mannequin. My final quote was 3 or 4k more at the end as i paid for granite shelving in the toilet, shifted a pipe, paid electricals and was charged for minor plastering. 

Frosted glass maintenance

I wanted to share this since I had a couple of people ask me about how I maintained my frosted/ sandblasted bathroom door. Previously I had mentioned that the contractor had warned me that the 'sand' will move if it comes in contact with oils and water and I didn't understand what he meant. So apparently when you get water or even touch sandblasted glass (the rough side) with your bare hands, a watermark or print gets left behind. Even if you wash the entire piece of glass and wipe it with a microfiber towel, chances are, once it is fully dried, there are going to be some streaks left, so the glass does not look evenly frosted. Glass cleaner doesn't work and neither does plain soap and water.

I did my research using Google and found that some people use a product called Goo Gone. I bought my bottle in Howards (in Millenia Walk) but I'm sure you can find it in Self-fix or even on Qoo10. So initially I applied it on the streaky parts of the sandblasted glass, then in order to achieve an even finish, I rubbed the entire door with a very tiny amount of it (not in circular motions as I read it will cause circular streaks). Finally, I dampened a cloth and wiped the entire door, while at the same time I used a dry cloth to go over the damp parts.

My door is now back to its Day 1 condition! The bottle somehow doesn't look like the bottle advertised in Selffix's site, but I guess as long as it is similar in properties it will work.

http://www.selffix.com/store/products_details/1012/Goo-Gone-Bottle-8oz

1 hour ago, Catt said:

Frosted glass maintenance

I wanted to share this since I had a couple of people ask me about how I maintained my frosted/ sandblasted bathroom door. Previously I had mentioned that the contractor had warned me that the 'sand' will move if it comes in contact with oils and water and I didn't understand what he meant. So apparently when you get water or even touch sandblasted glass (the rough side) with your bare hands, a watermark or print gets left behind. Even if you wash the entire piece of glass and wipe it with a microfiber towel, chances are, once it is fully dried, there are going to be some streaks left, so the glass does not look evenly frosted. Glass cleaner doesn't work and neither does plain soap and water.

I did my research using Google and found that some people use a product called Goo Gone. I bought my bottle in Howards (in Millenia Walk) but I'm sure you can find it in Self-fix or even on Qoo10. So initially I applied it on the streaky parts of the sandblasted glass, then in order to achieve an even finish, I rubbed the entire door with a very tiny amount of it (not in circular motions as I read it will cause circular streaks). Finally, I dampened a cloth and wiped the entire door, while at the same time I used a dry cloth to go over the damp parts.

My door is now back to its Day 1 condition! The bottle somehow doesn't look like the bottle advertised in Selffix's site, but I guess as long as it is similar in properties it will work.

This is great advice! We ended up mostly getting our bathroom doors in clear glass but with frosted sticker (it works quite well right now) but we have some frosted glass for the corridor-facing windows and have had to deal with streaks as well!

41 minutes ago, ricepapergirl said:

This is great advice! We ended up mostly getting our bathroom doors in clear glass but with frosted sticker (it works quite well right now) but we have some frosted glass for the corridor-facing windows and have had to deal with streaks as well!

Maintenance is a pain...thank goodness there's the internet where you can find people with all the tips and tricks. I'm like a housewife now, with an armoury of cleaning 'weapons'. Just the other day I was so happy when one of my colleagues found and bought me the possibly-last-Scotch-Brite window wiper in Singapore. :bangwall:

On 24 September 2016 at 5:54 PM, Catt said:

24 Sep'16 Update:

So the gate finally got changed and I'm as happy as a bird. The gate reminds me of those mesh-screened doors they use in apartments in Australia. So when I miss those days in Uni I just need to look over and pretend I'm there surrounded by stinkin' flies and spiders and spitfires.

oh8oyw.jpg

Had to mosaic out my unit number for P&C reasons. The numbers are lasercut into the gate so I don't have to fuss over getting signage. Here's another example I was sent by the Steeldios rep (Thank you very very much @trcd for the contact!!)

bi8qy9.jpg

Now I need to muster up energy to putty and paint the wooden frame!!

@Catt VERY SWEE GATE!

I love the wire mesh design and having the unit number on the gate itself! :wub:

Really one less worry about the unit number :good:

On 9/29/2016 at 4:35 PM, Catt said:

I use Goo Gone to remove stickers, price tags etc. Sometimes for glass, I use turpentine or thinner but need to be careful when using these.

11 hours ago, trcd said:

@Catt VERY SWEE GATE!

I love the wire mesh design and having the unit number on the gate itself! :wub:

Really one less worry about the unit number :good:

All thanks to you @trcd that I've mended my broken heart. :dancingqueen:

1 hour ago, kstoh said:

I use Goo Gone to remove stickers, price tags etc. Sometimes for glass, I use turpentine or thinner but need to be careful when using these.

I love Goo Gone! So far I've used it to remove the warning advisory sticker on the fridge, scuff marks on the new tiles, even-out frosted glass, wiped my shoes... ok ok..it's like the American version of the Singapore Tiger Balm/ Ax Oil. Probably can drink Goo Gone to cure illnesses too..joking!!