Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Catt

Small House Holding Our Big Dreams

@Catt Don't know leh, been waiting 3 weeks for my quotes already. Is that long? 

Actually I like those kind of simple shaker that looks like just 2 pieces of wood slapped together with clean lines – I like 'em minimal. Hee, kinda modern but slightly rustic.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
1 hour ago, stray said:

@Catt Don't know leh, been waiting 3 weeks for my quotes already. Is that long? 

Actually I like those kind of simple shaker that looks like just 2 pieces of wood slapped together with clean lines – I like 'em minimal. Hee, kinda modern but slightly rustic.

Too long! I'm impatient but usually I get the quotes back within a week... some even in a few days. Unless they are doing up 3D for you? Go chase them! Taking too much time to quote speaks volumes about the ID/ contractor's sense of urgency. If you do an iteration does that mean another 3 weeks?

17 Sep'16 Update:

The balance of stuff I bought arrived on Saturday (except the dining table..that would still probably be in December).

I didn't take a picture of the entire house because I was cleaning and turning everything topsy-turvy so it looks really messy.

Fridge:  I learnt that even though this particular model of Hitachi fridge could technically fit through the narrow HDB doorframe, due to the gates, it could not. They had to dismantle my gate and unpack the fridge in the corridor before it could be squeezed past the front door with maybe 2 cm space to spare. This is also not the same fridge I spotted months ago as that model was discontinued (so no mirrored doors and the 'strips' between the drawers are rose gold and not black). I'm an adult now. I own my own fridge!

5kra8o.jpg

Coffee-table from Crate & Barrel: It looked really small to me in comparison to the couch, but I think we will stick with one coffee table to preserve the space in the living room. BTW I'm a little upset my walls look so lilac. It's girly-er than I like it to be!! 

2enc5dz.jpg

Bookshelf from Crate & Barrel: This had some rust spots at the metal legs near the bottom. Kinda cheesed off about it, but I'm going to paint over the rust and seal it with some matt sealants to stop the spread of rust. It's a very tiny spot, but it irks me big time! PS: The makeshift altar on top is done by my dad. I'm just 'borrowing' his buddies until I move in. He knows I'm not into religious stuff but I'd like to keep Guanyin cos' she really takes very good care of me and Darkling Half!

2qxx57c.jpg

Panasonic Washer: I'm 'double-confirmed' an adult now as I also own a washer. This is a pretty basic model but I don't believe in expensive washers as washers have a higher tendency of breaking down.

2hp7olz.jpg

Placed buckets of water with lemons in them all over the house. This is an effort to clear out the VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) aka toxic fumes from the varnish, paints etc. I Google-d this online, so if this doesn't work I will move on to baking soda and charcoal. The fumes are quite bad if I don't open the windows and I don't want to kill my guinea pig when I'm out for work. You get to see my manky bunioned hardworking feet here. So many bruises and scars from wearing heels!

1zxtpht.jpg

Next big event- changing the gates next Saturday!

Edited by Catt

25 minutes ago, ricepapergirl said:

Loving the fridge! It's a bigger-sized model than the one we have but I really love it! :)

I love the size...bought more bottles for cold water!

8 minutes ago, stray said:

That fridge looks sex-ay! The rose-gold matches your slightly-lilac walls & poofs - not that bad what!

Haha Thanks Stray...finally got your quotes?

Yeah I got 1! Hahahah *sobs* Another one is coming tomorrow, supposedly. Don't know if I should be kiasu and approach more. Will see what the second quote gives tomorrow :dunno: cross your fingers for me! 

15 hours ago, stray said:

Yeah I got 1! Hahahah *sobs* Another one is coming tomorrow, supposedly. Don't know if I should be kiasu and approach more. Will see what the second quote gives tomorrow :dunno: cross your fingers for me! 

Crossed fingers AND toes! :D

11 minutes ago, stray said:

You probably have already seen this, and also I've a sneaky feeling they're expensive, but these retro gates are gorgeous.

https://www.teetfa.com

Rub-El-Hizb-grill.jpg

window-grille-pattern.jpg

I think it's a side project of interior designer Eugene Yip.

Wow very pretty! Will you get one? Love the star-shaped white gate!

Unfortunately nope, my partner is more modern minimalist. Totally not into retro, hee. I like the occasional splash of nostalgia, but not too much. Dr Doctors also has the scissors gate which is super common now and the clover-shaped one.

Missed your comment about changing your gate this Saturday, exciting! Can't wait to see it.

And thanks for X-ing it all for me, quote did come in, yay! Can I ask you something — why do you have to buy the excel pull-out spice rack on your own? Couldn't your contractor do it all? I'm asking cause sourcing for individual items now too, wondering how much of a nitty gritty should I get myself into.