Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Catt

Small House Holding Our Big Dreams

2 minutes ago, Catt said:

@trcd Huge sofa coming soon... I will miss the space though.

The grey door looks fine far away...up close it's not as sanded down as it should be.

Yup lighting plays a big part in making things look better than they are, hence I'm fond of warm lighting as they soften everything.

Going to Jln Sultan on Friday to check out locksets at Shanghai Tong Lee. Hope I find some goodies!

Good luck with everything, @Catt!  Imagine relaxing in your own pad after all the hard work and pain!

Must go to a reputable shop and make sure you are not getting any inferior quality fittings. I recently looked in my cabinets and to my horror, noticed the screws had already rusted. Some of the hinges were also beginning to rust. Made the carpenter change them.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Looking swee, Catt! Really like the kitchen - can't say it enough! Is purple or mauve the theme for the rest of the house? Can't wait to see your sofa being plonked in there.

Why are you getting a lock-set? Are you not intending to get a digital lock (seems so popular on Renotalk)?

4 hours ago, stray said:

Looking swee, Catt! Really like the kitchen - can't say it enough! Is purple or mauve the theme for the rest of the house? Can't wait to see your sofa being plonked in there.

Why are you getting a lock-set? Are you not intending to get a digital lock (seems so popular on Renotalk)?

Haha actually it is a taupe-ish grey. Somehow it looks lavendar in the evening....could be the reflection of the sky.

1444aok.jpg

Yah I'm quite old-fashioned with regards to locks. Same as how padlocks can be cut or locks can be picked...I feel that digital locks can be hacked. No offense to anyone but I find it strange to have a manual gate but digital lock. I'm quite fearful the digital lock will malfunction then I'm stuck outside the house, even if it has a manual key. Maybe when the market for digital locks has matured more I might change it. Anyway just a preference. I like the old-school look of locksets too.

• Like 1

It looks so different in the full blast of day light! Nice subtle hue of taupe-grey there :good: gah! keep the pictures coming, quite exciting to see everything coming together. When will you move in?!??!?!

1 hour ago, stray said:

It looks so different in the full blast of day light! Nice subtle hue of taupe-grey there :good: gah! keep the pictures coming, quite exciting to see everything coming together. When will you move in?!??!?!

Not sure yet...perhaps end of the month as my partner is travelling.

Like the taupe-ish grey a lot! Didn't choose from the grey's on the website enough, my home's paint colors didn't turn out quite as I wanted. Haha! 

All the best for ur move in!

Roller blinds are up! This is much needed to help keep the living room temperature stable and cool during the afternoons.

2vcxc0k.jpg

I did the bedroom one with a pelmet/ casing to minimize light coming through the gap on top of the blind.

jskisj.jpg

Edited by Catt

The room looks really soothing with the choice of colour! I went with "Smoky" for one of the walls and really like it.

Did you install blinds for the living room as well? Can PM me the name of the company pls?

Just now, trcd said:

The room looks really soothing with the choice of colour! I went with "Smoky" for one of the walls and really like it.

Did you install blinds for the living room as well? Can PM me the name of the company pls?

It was a last minute decision to have a different shade of colour...I couldn't tell if the colours would match so was just going to paint everything off-white. Glad I changed my mind!

I installed blinds for the living room and bedroom only. Have pm-ed you.

4 Sep'16- Our never-mentioned before dining table:

Just placed a deposit for a dining table and a bench with Arthur Zaaro, and 2 chairs from the shop next door (Blafink). Wasn't intending to buy a dining table that soon, but guess if I wanted to do it right, might as well do it now. Darkling Half doesn't want to have housewarming without a proper dining table... she gave me a withering look when I mentioned using our Ikea Curry Table first (yes the table I have since schooling days).

I actually showed her a couple of websites to look at tables- there was OriginAsia (looks pricey and somehow it's not 'us'), Viviant Tree (suar wood- we like something raw and natural, and I like rain trees!), Arthur Zaaro (more suar wood and they are doing peranakan-tiled wood tables) and Ethnicraft (simple and clean lines, somewhat reminds me of Scanteak?). We went down to Arthur Zaaro and Ethnicraft since they were just down the road from each other in Eunos. I should have gone Ehtnicraft first because once she laid her eyes on the raw suar wood slabs I knew she wouldn't like anything else.

Since there weren't any choices left for our customised size of 1.6mX 0.8m, we have to wait for them to bring in more. They told us they would fly to Indonesia and find 3 slabs of wood with the requirements we asked for ('white' edges if possible, whorls or swirly patterns), and we would come take a look to pick one. If we didn't like any, we could get our deposit back. Then they would need a few months to dry the wood and treat it. It should reach us by December. Because the dining table cost a fair bit, I decided to get a suar wood bench, since it was cheaper bought with a table. Each chair cost a basic oven, so the designer who served us, told us to try Blafink next door who did upholstery. We found two wood chairs and bought those (cheap!! like under 1/4 price of the teak chairs in Arthur Z. But of course you can't compare which is prettier...)

Here's a picture of what the table should look like. We chose two slim trapezium shaped wood slabs as the stand for the table rather than metal legs. I think I have to put the entire table on a rug if I am to move it myself as it is very heavy. I took this picture off Pinterest as an example.

24cidqr.jpg

YAY WE ARE GOING TO OWN A REAL DINING TABLE!

So naise! OMG With all these proper furniture, congratulations you're officially transitioned into ADULTHOOD!!!! :deal: I still have my whole range of IKEA particle board tables with screwed on legs waiting to be discarded, can't wait for my own graduation! LOL.

Edited by stray

2 hours ago, stray said:

So naise! OMG With all these proper furniture, congratulations you're officially transitioned into ADULTHOOD!!!! :deal: I still have my whole range of IKEA particle board tables with screwed on legs waiting to be discarded, can't wait for my own graduation! LOL.

Haha but I have to admit that I have a soft spot for the Billy bookcase and I'm keeping my Helmer drawers cuz they are a perfect fit for nail polish bottles!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Catt said:

Haha but I have to admit that I have a soft spot for the Billy bookcase and I'm keeping my Helmer drawers cuz they are a perfect fit for nail polish bottles!

I also liked how Billy bookcase looked at IKEA showroom! So we bought 2 sets for our new home, got IKEA to deliver + install the bookcase for us. Lo and behold... the 2 sets of bookcase slant away from each other, leaving an ugly gap in between! :( The IKEA guys told us if we want them to stand straight, need to drill the bookcase with its bracket to the wall :wacko: If i want to drill it to the wall...i might as well do customize cabinets right? :bangwall:anyway just FYI... hope it helps.

2 hours ago, yakult said:

I also liked how Billy bookcase looked at IKEA showroom! So we bought 2 sets for our new home, got IKEA to deliver + install the bookcase for us. Lo and behold... the 2 sets of bookcase slant away from each other, leaving an ugly gap in between! :( The IKEA guys told us if we want them to stand straight, need to drill the bookcase with its bracket to the wall :wacko: If i want to drill it to the wall...i might as well do customize cabinets right? :bangwall:anyway just FYI... hope it helps.

Ehh!! When we got our Billy bookcases, they actually helped us drill the bookcases to each other, which helps to prevent the bookcases from slanting away from each other (we insisted we didn't want them drilled to the wall anyway). Would that help? (We ended up drilling 3 of the 40cm cases together, and then another 2 of the 40cm ones together, so we ended up with 2 "bookcases" but the effect was okay).