Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Catt

Small House Holding Our Big Dreams

26 minutes ago, georgieporgie said:

Haha the part about you throwing a tantrum and stroking your kraus sink... mind sharing the make of your water closet and shower set?

Here ya go:

WC: Baron W-888
Shower & mixer: Grohe Tempesta (tap and mixer can mix and match as part of the package)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

6 Aug Update: 

Still nothing exciting...currently they are doing up the 'foundation' of the house so that they can put on the make-up soon. Went in today to receive the lights from Chan Huat and I forgot to check on the small pullout spiceholder/ pantry I ordered from Excelhardware :bangwall: Got bored waiting and started sanding the walls myself and digging up plaster that had splattered on the floor tiles. At this point I'm past bothering if they cover the floor as long as they clean it up and hand it to me in pristine condition. The trunkings no longer look that bad after they plastered the gaps... so that's over and done with for now. Monday should be installation of lights so I'm prepared to spend a few hours there and take some work calls at the same time (I'm on a week's leave but it's superficial since I'm working from home...have 31 days to clear).

Till next time!!

Edited by Catt

HAPPY NATIONAL DAY EVERYBODY!! :horse:

LONG 8 Aug Update- Happiness and also complaints about Kah-Chng DNA

I went down yesterday to watch the electricians install the lights. I'm more concerned about the wall sconces than the rest, Sat there for almost 3 hours then was told they would only install them on Wednesday.... :angry: DLS!!! However it was good that we were there since the aircon dudes came to finish their installation and the carpenter made a surprise visit and we were there to clarify some queries he had with regards to the placement of the drawers, small pullout pantry... oh gosh anyway he just needed me there otherwise he had no idea where the sink/ tap was, and I wouldn't have been able to remove the soap dispenser.

I'm not interested in the soap dispenser, so if anyone is interested in having a Kraus Soap Dispenser (https://www.amazon.com/Kraus-KSD-30CH-Soap-Dispenser-Chrome/dp/B00364J20Q/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1470713057&sr=1-7&keywords=Kraus+Soap+Dispenser )please PM me and I'll be happy to let it go at $10SGD. It came as part of the set with the Kraus sink and tap. I've included a pic of it below, taken next to a Samsung S6 Edge as comparison. The top is heavy steel and you can either fix it directly onto your countertop (drill a hole) or if you have a tap that comes with a plate, it can be fixed in that too.

i4rgh3.jpg

I also had the chance to use a hammer to break open parts of the walls under the windows that the contractor claimed his plasterer (??) had patched up, but when I tapped the walls with my fingers, the plaster sounds hollow. If I leave it, it will eventually pop up more due to humidity, crack and then crumble. So familiar with this since I like peeling plaster off walls in my grandpa's shophouse as a kid.

I'm not aiming for a smooth plastered look as I didn't ask for complete plastering work. But if there are big holes or deep nicks, I expect those to be filled.

Anyway here are some photos of the progress made since 1st Aug 2016:

Electrician who does remind me of Ren (actually closer to Stimpy, in terms of thinking) doing up the holders for the track-lighting. I'm being mean but really this is mild in comparison to the urge to kick out the stand from under him. GRRRR! He and his wife have finally finished patching up most of the gaps between trunkings and the ceiling. The switches are not what they showed me (think big and clicky-noisy) but I will have those changed sometime in the future if they really irk me.

b63frt.jpg

They fixed in the ceiling lights. Anything that is a ceiling light is either a square light or a small/big round light except for the foyer. I'm simple like that. Maybe I will take those lights down after I move in and spray paint the frames in black. I heard that Alexander Village is selling them in black frames..but I'd already made my purchase from Chan Huat. Boo-ya!

The staple lights:

6ntp1s.jpg

Foyer light that Darkling Half wanted (it's really the oddest light out of all- doesn't match in colour nor design... but ssssshhhhhhhh...):

2m6l9vp.jpg

The way the toilet looks now with the light installed. I chose a Warm White led ceiling light, smaller than the kitchen ones, with one for WC side and one for the shower side. I'm really please with how it turned out! BTW look at the mess on the floor. Same goes for the living room. I was really peeved about how the contractor allowed his workers to DRIP plaster everywhere! He said it would all come off when he does his final cleaning/ acid-wash, but it's just annoying how messy and dirty people can be. Got cardboard they don't want to use.

2ypnpub.jpg

ALSO THEY PEED IN MY TOILET BOWL AND SOMEONE TOOK OUT THE TOILET SEAT TO USE!! I quickly washed the seat and then wrapped it up in a box with tons of tape. Wah lao eh! Not say you cannot use my toilet bowl, but I don't need the DNA of your ka-chng on my new toilet seat la!! Luckily Darkling Half was not there to witness it. I think I'm like a kitten next to her when she explodes.

The chickenwire glass that was cut for the ventilator fan cracked. This is not acceptable even though the contractor tried to say that chickenwire glass will not break due to the wires embedded. Luckily my dad was there to insist on him changing it as I'm at the point I'm just..whatever!! I just want to finish reno and move in. Over it!

aoqn9l.jpg

I'm not saying that my contractor is a terrible contractor as he does get things changed and rectified promptly at my request... it's just tiring to keep finding fault and I feel like a total fussy b***h when I have to ask for this to change, that to be patched, how come this..how come that....it goes against my base chin-chye character.

Some wall colour pictures. They did a first coat for the feature colour walls in both the living room and bedroom. Both rooms mirror each other in that I only have 2 walls painted in Nippon's Enchanted State, and the rest are done in Snow White (an off-white creamish shade). It's hard to capture the colour as it comes off as grey here, but it's a warmish, very very light taupe-ish type of neutral shade. I really like it. It might look a little purplish as they painted over the pre-existing purple walls. 

rbmmhj.jpg Living Room

1zlxhqf.jpg Bed Room with a cavity for the wardrobe to be built into.

I forgot to take pictures of the subway tile corner grouting for the beams. It turned out okay, no sharp edges and it's not noticeable as it is white grout. Grout being grout cracks, so I may have to patch it over the years...but everything is transient in life, including grout...

Edit: Sharing the small pullout larder/ spice holding basket that I bought from Excelhardware. You can definitely get cheaper stuff from Taobao or Qoo10 but if you're lazy like me or you need something in a hurry you can order this from their site and the deliver was really fast (the day after I placed order). It's not a good picture of the entire thing but I will take a complete one after it is installed into the kitchen cabinet. I bought the larger one at 400mm width.

30ndy83.jpg

Edited by Catt

1 hour ago, Mannequin said:

Hi  Do you mind to share your contractor and your quote? Thank you.

Hi Mannequin. I used Hoong Fatt Heng http://www.hoongfattheng.com.sg/

Since I'm at it, I'll just type up the quote and share with everyone.

To be fair to the contractor, I won't be sharing the detailed cost break-down as there were items where I am sure the contractor had cut the price for me and areas I am sure were pumped up. He had also absorbed a few things that I mentioned offhand since he did not make any other changes to the quote despite me prompting him. I was more concerned about the overall quotation amount and things that it included that the the ID companies could not include.

Not included: Electrical cost is never the same for each client since it depends on how many lighting points, sockets, cable points you install, For the air-conditioners, I'd ask him to recommend someone he worked with before so that was excluded from the overall quote. I paid them separately.

Main thing to understand is that you get what you pay for. There were items which were of basic quality because he fit everything into his final quote, and I accepted it because of my budget. Also, I was very finicky with the quotes during my search for an ID/ contractor, but right now I'm operating on the premise that this is the overall final quotation amount and that there is a method to the madness eventually. He also threw in some stuff (e.g. shampoo ledges made of granite- not in quote) that if he DARED charge me I would be counting beans with him (e.g. I didn't even use up to $3.00 for 2 types of tiles and he quoted me at $4/$3.50. My kitchen and shoe cabinets, and therefore Caeserstone, ended up shorter and the quote was not amended, and so on). Give and take and I will just let it go. FYI I did not bargain with him at all for the final quote.

S/N  Description 
1  Kitchen entrance both side wall to hack off 
2 Kitchen entrance hacked wall surrounded broken wall to plaster good cement
3 Kitchen existing wall & floor tiles to hack off 
4 Kitchen part of wet area floor to lay waterproof chemical with cement
5 Kitchen floor to lay 300 x 600 floor tiles - Max tiles@$3 to $3.50
6 Kitchen wall to lay 300 x 600 wall tiles up to ceiling height except cabinet portion no new tiles - Max tiles@$4 (Subway tiles)
7 Kitchen floor to use HDB Approved Prepack 2 in 1 cement & labour to plaster
8 Kitchen wall to use HDB Approved Prepack 2 in 1 cement & labour to plaster
9 To supply & change 1 set stainless steel dustbin 
10 To construct 2" height cabinet base top plaster cement - 26ft 
11 2 toilet existing wall tiles & floor tiles to hack off including W.C & basin
12 2 toilet wall to lay 300 x 600 wall tiles up to ceiling height -Max tiles@$3 to $3.50
13 2 toilet wall to use HDB Approved Prepack 2 in 1 cement & labour to plaster
14 2 toilet floor to lay waterproof chemical with cement
15 2 toilet floor to lay 300 x 300 floor tiles *I used 30X60 eventually
16 One bathroom entrance divider to lay tiles 
17 Bathroom to construct shower kerb / drop-down kerb with tiles 
18 2 toilet floor to use HDB Approved Render 2 in 1 cement & labour to plaster
19 2 toilet centre partition wall to hack off
20 Toilet sewerage PVC pipe to box up using cement board & tile up * this was FOC but eventually I did not want a box up anyway
21 2 toilet centre hacked wall surrounded broken wall to plaster good cement
22 Existing bathroom entrance to seal up with hollow blocks & plaster cement
23 Hall & 2 bedroom existing floor tiles to hack off
24 Hall & 2 bedroom floor to lay 600 x 600 glossy floor tiles with skirting - Max tiles@$3 to $3.50
25 Hall & 2 bedroom floor to use HDB Approved Prepack 2 in 1 cement & labour to plaster
26 Utility room existing floor tiles to hack off
27 Utility room floor to lay 600 x 600 glossy floor tiles with skirting - Max tiles@$3 to $3.50
28 Utility room floor to use HDB Approved Prepack 2 in 1 cement & labour to plaster
29 Existing Bedroom 2 T-shape wall & 2 entrance door frame to hack off
30 Hacked Bedroom 2 T-shape surrounded broken wall to plaster good cement
31 Existing Bedroom 1 partition wall to hack off
32 Hacked Bedroom 1 wall surrounded broken wall to plaster good cement
33 To supply material & labour to construct hollow blocks wall & compound plaster at Bedroom 1
34 To supply & install 1 set wooden door frame with Veneer door at Bedroom new Entrance * I did not pick veneer eventually but it didn't matter as the price was pretty neutral
35 Existing Bedroom 2 wall to hack off for Bedroom 2 new entrance *this was a mistake and not removed. But because he gave me wardrobe sliding doors instead of casement doors without increasing the quote I just let it slide. It's not a big amount.
36 To extend Bedroom 2 with hollow blocks wall & compound plaster
37 Cement works to install 1 set new wooden door frame at Bedroom 2 new entrance *same as item 37. Essentially I believe I 'paid' for my sliding doors out of item 35 & 37
38 Kitchen & bathroom to change new stainless steel cold water
39 To run hot water stainless steel pipe at bathroom 
40 Plumber to install 1 set storage heater
41 Plumber to install 1 set W.C & 1 set wash basin 
42 Plumber to install washing machine in/outlet pipe & install water tap
43 Plumber to install sink in/outlet pipe & install sink tap 
44 Plumber to install spray jet, toilet roll holder & toilet accessories
45 Whole house 3 rooms, kitchen & hall wall & ceiling to paint 1 layer undercoat sealer paint
46 Whole house 3 rooms, kitchen & hall ceiling to paint using Nippon Matex White & wall to paint using Nippon Vinilex 5000 emulsion paint (Max 5 choices of colour) *He did mention it didn't matter if I wanted to add in more paint colours. Our quotation was so loose that he was happy to throw in a bunch of stuff without officially charging me.
47 Whole house door frame & PVC pipe to oil-paint / lacquer - include all doors
48 To supply & install tempered glass swing glass door at toilet entrance - Sandblast glass
49 To supply & install aluminium black frame clear glass panel sliding door at kitchen entrance
50 To supply & install 1 piece fix panel tempered glass at bathroom shower area
51 Bathroom & toilet to install black frame top hung glass window - Total 6 number opening hole
52 To supply 2 set KDK Brand Exhaust Fan 
53 Existing kitchen cabinet to tear off & clear away 
54 2 bedroom existing wardrobe to tear off & clear away
55 1 double deck bed & 3 desks to tear off & clear away 
56 Hall L-box holder, false ceiling & room cornices to tear off 
57 To fabricate & install kitchen bottom cabinet with ABS trimming in laminated finished & internal carcass in white PVC finished (Max laminate selection@$60) - Left hand *he also agreed eventually to change the internal laminates at no-extra charge to black or grey. But because I changed my mind about the external laminates, I left it as white.
58 To fabricate & install kitchen bottom cabinet with ABS trimming in laminated finished & internal carcass in white PVC finished at right hand side (Max laminate selection@$60) - 10ft
59 To supply & install slow motion hinges & tracks for kitchen cabinet door & 1 row drawers - DTC Brand *not Blum but I don't really care. Nothing lasts forever. And it's very cheap.
60 Kitchen cabinet table top to install Caeserstone table top at right hand bottom cabinet - 5100 / 5003 column *these were the model codes.
61 To supply & install slow motion hinges & tracks for kitchen cabinet door & 1 row drawers - DTC Brand *right hand side
62  Kitchen cabinet table top to install Caeserstone table top at left hand side bottom cabinet - 5100 / 5003 column
63 To fabricate & install low height shoe cabinet in laminated finished & internal carcass in white PVC finished (Max laminate selection@$60) - 4ft
64 To fabricate & install master room casement door wardrobe in laminated finished & internal carcass in white PVC finished (Max laminate selection@$60) - 10ft *changed to sliding, no change in cost
65  Master room wardrobe door & 1 row of drawers to install slow motion hinges & tracks - DTC Brand *again he seemed very chin chye as I had two rows of drawers. Let's wait till handover and see if I get slapped with a different bill.
66  Master room wardrobe internal to fabricate 1 set tofu column *didn't add cost for 2 tofu columns instead of one
70 To apply HDB permit FOC
71 Provide haulage & clear renovation debris 
72 Whole house wall tiles & floor tiles to chemical wash 
73 Supply paperboard to cover floor tiles *he did but this is quite nonsensical as the cover is...might as well don’t cover…waste money. I had to pay for this!
74 Main gate change to wrought iron gate*not wrought in the end as I chose a smooth iron with different design. Cost didn't change
75 Added on later: Toilet PVC pipe to move in near the big POC pipe
76 Added on later: Kitchen, 2 bedroom (he just couldn’t get it into his head there was no 2nd bedroom, but I know he meant the pre-existing ex-bedroom windows), utility & hall windows to aluminium tinted glass swing out windows
  Total: $49530

Edited by Catt

Question: The water pressure from the showerhead is really poor (there are these holes where the water sprays out, but the water is pathetically flowing out instead), but the pressure of the water coming out from the shower mixer tap and sink tap is really strong. Anyone have any idea if there's something in the showerhead that I need to remove in order to improve the pressure? I'm using a Grohe Tempesta.

11 Aug Update:

I should really send Darkling Half to supervise the renovation instead. I went yesterday and the main painter seemed really reluctant patch up the walls or corners. His excuse is always that the house is old.... wah...too used to working on BTOs or what? So pampered? It took me a lot of nagging just to get him to move his arse. When I complain to the contractor, he will just ask me to tell them myself. He would call them immediately to rectify, but it just annoys me that these people can be so lazy as to cut corners.

Today Darkling Half went to supervise the NetLink installers. While she was there, she was scrutinizing the paint and plaster job being carried out. She really 鸟 (bird) the painters who not only peed all over my toilet seat (and I know it's them as I left the house yesterday with the cardboard box taped over the seat and today it's gone) and denied it was them, but did a pretty bad job painting the corners of the ceiling and the frame of the main entrance door. Yeah I know the door is old and the house is old..but doesn't give you an excuse to not sand before painting right?! I'm not asking for a smooth wall as I never asked for plastering of the walls, but if I see an anomaly from the rest of the surface, they should patch it, and patch it well. Not paint over bubbles and old lumps of paint.

When the NetLink installers had to open up the electrical trunking to run the fibre optic cable, the main painter refused to patch up the trunking again, telling Darkling Half that she should get the NetLink installers to do it. She was so pissed off because why would Netlink installers be carrying plaster? In the end she asked another painter to do the patching, which he did. Tsk..very naughty. Super attitude... too bad for them she has worse attitude...and does look at times like an angry ah beng/ ah lian hog.

SIMI SAI: 

2eyvtpt.jpg

2l8i1wi.jpg

256r1ar.jpg

2w30vhf.jpg

The only thing I can't complain about is the tiling work and plumbing, other than that...tskk tsskkk tssskk....

If these painters are from your contractor, it should be him doing the pushing I feel. Should not be you doing it.

Just to check, what sort of water heater are you using for your shower? Storage or electric water heater? Also, is it rain shower or hand shower? These could have some effect on your water pressure.

I wish I didn't have to push either but seems like I'm on my own here. The contractor isn't there to check the work unless I peck at him. Ah well... I just have to keep at it for a few more weeks...

I'm using a Rubine instant heater with a handshower.

Usually instant heaters doesnt output high water pressure as they need to constrict the water flow to heat it up effectively.

You can try directly connecting the water source to the grohe mixer instead of the heater to see if thats the case.

Oh dear, hope the painting goes better!

As for the water pressure, does your showerhead have different "settings"? Sorry I have a hansgrohe instead, but also with an instant heater. For us, there is one setting which is very nice and strong, and the others are more soothing/rainshower-like, so maybe that could be it.

@Changbp I guess I will have to try that on my next visit, so far I have only isolated it to the shower, the rest of the toilet's water pressure seems fine so I don't even think it's the pressure valve outside. Wah if it's really the heater I will be doubly sian! I even bought one with a booster pump for rainshower so if it doesn't work I will just find it so....:bangwall: I'm just befuddled as previous instant heaters I've used do not have this super weak water pressure issue. The weakest was still a a watering can effect at least.

@ricepapergirl Yes the showerhead has different settings, but even if the setting is not meant for a strong pressure, at the moment, it is literally 'drooling'. The water flows so slowly and little that the stream-lets clump at one end of the showerhead and dribble off the edge.  I just find it so weird! Fingers itchy again to dismantle the showerhead but I"m stopping myself in case I damage anything.

Worse come to worse I have to get a smaller showerhead as I heard a smaller one forces the water to compress and come out stronger.

13 Aug Update:

Painting done but I'm recalling them back to do touch-ups and plastering as the work done is lazy and bad. The place was cleaned up when we got there today and immediately we could spot a few glaring mistakes. 

But we've gotten this far:

14nibtc.jpg

2ii78z8.jpg

Can't post the other pics I took vertically since tinypics doesn't work well on this phone.

Edit: I am really silly... the handshower was on the wrong setting, so after a few adjustmebts the spray is working nicely now. Thanks @ricepapergirl for that setting tip!

Edited by Catt