Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Catt

Small House Holding Our Big Dreams

Happy to contribute! How about some neon signboard to add to the HK flava?! haha

No prob! I also think Steigen is too expensive for me. I'd rather save some and use a manual system and work on my non-existent biceps at the same time :jail:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

25 Aug'16 Update

Guess who's here?

98edk8.jpg

One more time with feeling! Unnngggh! So...soo...sooo pretty!

2qn4ly1.jpg

Went up today to meet the salesperson from Softhome to measure for roller blinds, and to provide me with a quote. He was such a sweet young thing that I felt bad making him come all the way down from Tannery Lane. Customer service was great and he seemed to be looking out for me on cost, and could advise me on the colours that would possibly match the rest of the house, as well as the type of blinds to pick. I wanted half the windows in the living room to be dim-out ones and others in front of the television to be blackout. However, he advised that if I was reclining on the L-part of the couch (far left), I would be able to see a reflection on the telly. Full blackout would render the house too dark, but if it bothered me I guess I could always roll up one side and NOT WATCH TV (light doesn't bother me to be honest since my TV is not that reflective, but I like the idea of a blackout cinema experience). 

Anyway, I made up my mind very quickly on some blackout pvc greyish-taupe-ish blinds. Seriously every colour I have picked for my new place is a shade that I can find in my 400-strong collection of nail polish. The quoted price seemed reasonable as I was expecting something in the 1000s (don't ask me why but I keep thinking that roller blinds and curtains are very expensive), but I guess since my windows are not that big, the total price was not as high as I thought it would be. Installation will be another 1-2 weeks from now.

I know I said no more pictures until the furniture is in, but I since I stayed behind till sunset, I decided to play with the lights. I'm glad they turned out alright and the house isn't as dark (and luckily not bright!) as I thought it would be. My phone-cam turns all the lights more yellow than they actually are.

The Teka hob was installed today. They forgot to plug it in, so it was a good thing my cabinet had a little pulldown door underneath to slide my arm in and reach the socket. The hood needs polishing- so many handprints :angry:

1or2w7.jpg

Sink  with the countertop on it. The tap will be installed tomorrow.

29boi6f.jpg

Full kitchen view with the lights. I love the light effect! Sorry my wall lights are still wrapped in plastic...will only remove them after the reno is done.

20z4epx.jpg

Our plain bedroom. Look how at how many handprints there are on the wardrobe :angry:

ta1uvp.jpg

One last look with all the lights on in the living room and hall (?? don't know what to call the ex-living room). Can't wait to move in as it looks so inviting!

2em1op5.jpg

Edited by Catt

16 minutes ago, JohnJohn said:

Looking good Catt! 

Thanks JohnJohn...just a simple house, doesn't have the design mastery of yours!

I have so many gushes!!! That caesarstone is drop dead gorgeous! What did you pick? And that stainless steel farm sink – I think it's prolly the first I've seen on Renotalk! Wanna see your tap in to complete the look! Apartment looks spacey, airy and sleek. So naisseeee.

7 hours ago, stray said:

I have so many gushes!!! That caesarstone is drop dead gorgeous! What did you pick? And that stainless steel farm sink – I think it's prolly the first I've seen on Renotalk! Wanna see your tap in to complete the look! Apartment looks spacey, airy and sleek. So naisseeee.

I picked 5100 Vanilla Noir for the Caeserstone. To be honest the farmhouse sink would've been better complemented with some Shaker cabinets, but I'm fine with this too.

8 minutes ago, tohlianseng said:

Hi catt, can i know what is the color you use for your living rooml and all the bedrooms room?

Hi it is Enchanted State for the grey and Snow White for the off-white shade. If you get on the Nippon site you can find the codes.

10 minutes ago, yellowteacups said:

hihi! may i have your curtain contacts pls! TIA! 

Hi there...I asked for roller blinds, didn't look at the curtains offered. http://www.softhome.sg/ the contact is in the website, you can look for Yong Sheng. His mobile number is at the end of the Contacts page. 

26 Aug'16 Update:

Oopsies, no installation of kitchen faucet today because:

1) Carpenter did not open a wide enough hole for the plumbing guys to reach their arm in to connect the faucet to water pipe (again the technicality of it escapes me, but I know something cannot reach la).

2) Plumbing guys need to buy an adapter for the faucet. Something about how the faucet pipe does not fit Singapore ones. They will all be back on Monday with the adapter and drill bit for enlarging the cabinet hole.

On the other hand, my Taobao mirror cabinet has been installed:

143e5wj.jpg

Review on this mirror LED light cabinet: There are probably 2 minor scratches on the mirror that will bother me and anyone else with OCD. Otherwise the condition is not too bad. The wiring inside is horrendous, but what do I expect with 200 SGD (inc. shipping and delivery). If I bought something of this size here, it would be $300 SGD and above. The LED lighting is okay, more for decorative purposes. You won't be able to use it for squeezing blackheads as it is not bright enough, but you can brush your teeth with the dim lighting. If the LED strip spoils, I don't know if I need to pluck it out or just leave it there and waste a light switch (located outside the toilet entrance). The cabinet itself has a switch. You can't switch on the cabinet with that external switch, only if you switch on the external switch AND the cabinet switch. The logic is baffling...but there you have it. Different people think differently... obviously I am not from this planet.

My iron main gate is screwed and there is nothing the contractor can do. I've resigned myself to looking for another gate contractor and dismantling (wasting money) on this ugly one.

Anyone tried this company? http://www.steeldios.com/

Some nonsense that I must go and Happy Hour off later:

By the way, today my contractor claimed he paid out of his own pocket to the neighbour living below my apartment- 4 items the neighbour claimed was damaged by the leaking (e.g. a kettle?!). Some people are really just out to take advantage of others. And ah...and ah...I SAW THAT THE WORKERS USED "APPLE WHITE" PAINT TO PATCH THE WALLS WHICH WERE PAINTED WITH "SNOW WHITE". What the #@%&*!! So I'm not crazy and there's nothing wrong with my eyes! No wonder the beam looked kinda green kinda cream... I was speechless when I saw the opened tin of Apple White left behind for me. I felt a universe of silence surround me and for a moment I thought I was having a slight stroke because my brain didn't know how to react- laugh, cry or scream or ..throw the paint on myself?   :wacko:

My final quote is $560 above the original quote, which is good in my opinion as I heard the buffer people should give is about $5000. I was also charged for the minor plaster patching works on the walls and ceilings at approx $380, so I don't owe him anything.

Edited by Catt

31 minutes ago, Catt said:

26 Aug'16 Update:

Oopsies, no installation of kitchen faucet today because:

1) Carpenter did not open a wide enough hole for the plumbing guys to reach their arm in to connect the faucet to water pipe (again the technicality of it escapes me, but I know something cannot reach la).

2) Plumbing guys need to buy an adapter for the faucet. Something about how the faucet pipe does not fit Singapore ones. They will all be back on Monday with the adapter and drill bit for enlarging the cabinet hole.

On the other hand, my Taobao mirror cabinet has been installed:

143e5wj.jpg

Review on this mirror LED light cabinet: There are probably 2 minor scratches on the mirror that will bother me and anyone else with OCD. Otherwise the condition is not too bad. The wiring inside is horrendous, but what do I expect with 200 SGD (inc. shipping and delivery). If I bought something of this size here, it would be $300 SGD and above. The LED lighting is okay, more for decorative purposes. You won't be able to use it for squeezing blackheads as it is not bright enough, but you can brush your teeth with the dim lighting. If the LED strip spoils, I don't know if I need to pluck it out or just leave it there and waste a light switch (located outside the toilet entrance). The cabinet itself has a switch. You can't switch on the cabinet with that external switch, only if you switch on the external switch AND the cabinet switch. The logic is baffling...but there you have it. Different people think differently... obviously I am not from this planet.

My iron main gate is screwed and there is nothing the contractor can do. I've resigned myself to looking for another gate contractor and dismantling (wasting money) on this ugly one.

Anyone tried this company? http://www.steeldios.com/

Some nonsense that I must go and Happy Hour off later:

By the way, today my contractor claimed he paid out of his own pocket to the neighbour living below my apartment- 4 items the neighbour claimed was damaged by the leaking (e.g. a kettle?!). Some people are really just out to take advantage of others. And ah...and ah...I SAW THAT THE WORKERS USED "APPLE WHITE" PAINT TO PATCH THE WALLS WHICH WERE PAINTED WITH "SNOW WHITE". What the #@%&*!! So I'm not crazy and there's nothing wrong with my eyes! No wonder the beam looked kinda green kinda cream... I was speechless when I saw the opened tin of Apple White left behind for me. I felt a universe of silence surround me and for a moment I thought I was having a slight stroke because my brain didn't know how to react- laugh, cry or scream or ..throw the paint on myself?   :wacko:

My final quote is $560 above the original quote, which is good in my opinion as I heard the buffer people should give is about $5000. I was also charged for the minor plaster patching works on the walls and ceilings at approx $380, so I don't owe him anything.

Oh! I had the same problem with the adapter for my kitchen tap as well. I bought mine (Hansgrohe) directly from an online shop in Germany, apparently according to the plumber if you buy in Singapore they would usually remind you to buy the adapter as well. Anyway it cost us like $14 for the two adapters (one for hot and one for cold water, we have only instant heaters so both pipes give cold water but anyway) and our plumber ran down during lunchtime and bought it and finished installing that day... Hope it goes smoothly for you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Catt said:

I picked 5100 Vanilla Noir for the Caeserstone. To be honest the farmhouse sink would've been better complemented with some Shaker cabinets, but I'm fine with this too.

So I was just drooling over these shaker kitchens - deVOL kitchens. Would die, DIE for these. Your kitchen is already very sleek and modern! Save the shakers for your next apartment :D 

Edited by stray

@stray wow wow very nice kitchens.... are you poisoning yourself ? :P Make sure you find someone who can execute your dreams, if not you will end up like me...waiting for my next apartment. Haha!

@Catt i know right!?!?!! but one can dream :drunk: one day i'll get those sky lights, maybe a cozy brick nook with a modern matte fireplace aka modern rustic, walk out to my little herb garden with an outdoor grill, a wide expense of forest :seeya: