Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Catt

Small House Holding Our Big Dreams

On ‎13‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 2:31 PM, Catt said:

13 Aug Update:

Painting done but I'm recalling them back to do touch-ups and plastering as the work done is lazy and bad. The place was cleaned up when we got there today and immediately we could spot a few glaring mistakes. 

But we've gotten this far:

14nibtc.jpg

2ii78z8.jpg

Can't post the other pics I took vertically since tinypics doesn't work well on this phone.

Edit: I am really silly... the handshower was on the wrong setting, so after a few adjustmebts the spray is working nicely now. Thanks @ricepapergirl for that setting tip!

Oh!!! I'm so glad that tip worked! :D Yay for not needing to change the handshower!

Also, really loving your subway tiles for the kitchen! Looks really nice!

Edited by ricepapergirl

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

15 Aug Update:

Carpentry came in today. I'm amazed that they cut and glued the laminates on the spot... is this a usual practice? Either way, I'm impressed at how neatly they have done it. The carpentry work looks good as far as I can tell (I left while they were still fitting in the hood, hob and oven), and my dad said that the workmanship is pretty 'solid' and 'neat'. To me that just means no jagged edges to the cut laminate, no chips, no scratches, laminate and plywood joints are aligned, nothing feels flimsy.  We had some trepidation about the support that was built for the Kraus sink, since it is just a rectangular support vs two Xs to support the base, but the carpenter assured us that it would hold well. I hope nothing comes crashing down when I'm violently washing pots and pans.

The design is not the most modern, but I'm going to attribute that to myself since I only told the carpenter that I didn't want handles to anything (I gave up the office-lookalike drawers because I didn't want to add on more cost and wasn't feeling very confident at that point in time), and only worked with him on the modules for the wardrobe. I just chose something simple based on the IKEA wardrobe that I've been using for 4 years. Fits my stuff, fits my habit. Darkling Half doesn't seem to care I guess as long as it fits all her clothes. Or maybe she's had enough of the reno (like me!!!) and just wants something simple and move on with life.

Folks are coming down to measure the countertop for Caeserstone on 16 Aug.

Wardrobe WIP:

34fn0go.jpg

Long Complaint- Paintwork and plastering (patching): We post-it-ed the entire house. The contractor said he would fix it and he said this is not the final work yet. Ok lor. You say one lor. At this point..if the flaw is tiny, I'm going to let it slide and fix it myself. His painter like sibei buay song, but the contractor is not eager to get him off this job and 'change' to another painter. Did I complain that the painter did everything he wasn't asked to (e.g. he removed my plastic covers for my wall sconces...tonight I have to go back and put it up again in case he drips paint on them) and did nothing he was asked to (e.g. sanding the pipes and doors before painting)? Good grief...

Painting is bad for all doors old and new. Chips, scratches, no proper sanding (they don't use a sanding tool), thick painting resulting in bubbling and wrinkles.

My main door is also not aligned to the door frame, or should I say the frame is not aligned to the door. This was a door from the previous owner. To remove and change it now would mean hacking off the frame and done-up floor tiles. The contractor is reluctant to do so, so we asked him to think of a way to reduce the gap between the door and frame. Don't know what kind of special magical skills he will have to conjure up to fix that. Utility door is made of cheapo compressed wood. Cheapo me didn't want to change it as it seemed okay initially and the contractor had told me he will get it sanded. Till I saw the bottom fringe of the door all frayed and chipped...he still doesn't want to change it and wants to sand it down. WHATEVER!!!

My dad and colleagues think it is the funniest thing on earth...usually people have problems with the major works- tiling and carpentry. Electrical and paintwork are a breeze. Mine is the opposite. We also went around hammering the plate of our electrical switches with our fists to force them down properly on their base. The electricians did not use same faceplate + base so most of them are not a smooth fit. So laughable. Haiz. F-it. Small thing.

Hey Catt! Why did I not see your post before?! Must be the 'hungry brothers' who finally opened my third eye :blink:

First thing, are you at the crescent area? Cos I'm pretty sure it's not drive and heights... the 3-rooms are bigger there but a bit off for me... Having stayed in a kampong for years, I need location location which translates to paying my arse off for 25yrs. My house is done but I'm still lurking around to pick up tips from fellow 3 roomers and I must say I love your kitchen size and subway tiles! So big and clean... bathroom tiles I like too... tiles are a personal taste so don't bother too much about the rest as long as you are comfortable:D

As for the paint job... yes pls force then to do it till you are satisfied... I'm still sufferings from the not smooth plastering and untidy paint jobs and that eternal crackline along my kitchen wall... won't write an essay on your blog but keep updating Catt!! Wishing you a smooth reno :yeah:

30 minutes ago, Lazyfatcat007 said:

Hey Catt! Why did I not see your post before?! Must be the 'hungry brothers' who finally opened my third eye :blink:

First thing, are you at the crescent area? Cos I'm pretty sure it's not drive and heights... the 3-rooms are bigger there but a bit off for me... Having stayed in a kampong for years, I need location location which translates to paying my arse off for 25yrs. My house is done but I'm still lurking around to pick up tips from fellow 3 roomers and I must say I love your kitchen size and subway tiles! So big and clean... bathroom tiles I like too... tiles are a personal taste so don't bother too much about the rest as long as you are comfortable:D

As for the paint job... yes pls force then to do it till you are satisfied... I'm still sufferings from the not smooth plastering and untidy paint jobs and that eternal crackline along my kitchen wall... won't write an essay on your blog but keep updating Catt!! Wishing you a smooth reno :yeah:

Hi Lazyfatcat007! thanks for reading my blog. Yours was one of the first 3-roomer ones I referred to when I bought my place. It was definitely a source of inspiration and assurance that I'm not the only one having to work with an older apartment. I'm also super jealous of your bigger floor space! Ah wells...it's just me and my other half so...like my mom has repeated many times, why do I need such a big toilet..is my arse that big...why do I need a bigger house..is my arse that big (everything goes back to my rear end apparently).

Yes I'm at the Crescent area...Drive has even older flats (I didn't want to fork out extra hard $$ due to CPF restrictions) and Heights is a bit inconvenient for me as I do not drive. This particular unit is 75 sqm vs the standard 64-65sqm as it is a corner unit. Still tiny but I tell myself still cheaper than a 75sqm private condo :P

Thank you for your well wishes and I'm glad you are enjoying your beautiful new place already...can' wait for my turn!

Forgot to add on... my new (downstairs) neighbour has struck again! After the love note on the 1st day, he came up yesterday when I was there and demanded to see my contractor. Apparently the renovation has caused his ceiling to leak again. The contractor has been handling this problem for the past few weeks so I just let him deal with it. But after the reno is done, I am going downstairs with the contractor and making that fella sign an indemnity form that everything is fine. Seriously this bugger is taking this opportunity to get $$ or new things done to his place whenever someone above his flat carries out renovation. He actually asked my contractor to compensate him for his kitchen cabinets. To which the contractor sniffed and said no, because his cabinets are 20 odd years old and chui already. Poooh! The neighbour kept quiet after that. To date my contractor has been down 3 times to patch the ceiling and will do a final check when he wraps up the reno on my house.

Old houses are really leaky houses... lesson learnt, if I can afford a new place in future, not to pick anything built in the 70s and 80s!

Some stuff I bought online:

Taobao buy- LED lighted 2 door medicine cabinet.  I bought one item to tryout the hassle of purchasing from TB. I had my TB queen at work guide me through the entire process. Nothing broke so that was a sigh of relief. It isn't installed yet so I can't comment if it's a good or bad buy. https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=520065968474&toSite=main

2cf42lt.jpg

Amazon buy- Bamboo chopping board. I've wanted a big chopping board for the longest time as I'd used one when I was studying overseas. But after reading all the reviews online about other types of wood, I decided to try this. It looks pretty good and I also bought chopping board oil to season it (troublesome much?!) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DUZMBP8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2wbuc6b.jpg

Qoo10 buy- Proscenic robot vacuum/ mop. Supposed to arrive today. I'm deeply attracted to the promise that it can do both vacuuming and mopping, and can navigate it's own way back to the charging station. There is also a physical store selling this at IMM Jurong and my warranty is from them. http://list.qoo10.sg/item/INTRODUCTORY-OFFER-PROSCENIC-SUZUKA-ROBOT-VACUUM-WITH-WATER/464813223

30ie5u9.jpg

I'm only left with a peephole digital camviewer to buy now. Reviews on Qoo10 are all pretty conflicting regarding screen resolution, so that's some evening homework that I have to do.

On 9 August 2016 at 3:13 PM, Catt said:

Hi Mannequin. I used Hoong Fatt Heng http://www.hoongfattheng.com.sg/

Since I'm at it, I'll just type up the quote and share with everyone.

To be fair to the contractor, I won't be sharing the detailed cost break-down as there were items where I am sure the contractor had cut the price for me and areas I am sure were pumped up. He had also absorbed a few things that I mentioned offhand since he did not make any other changes to the quote despite me prompting him. I was more concerned about the overall quotation amount and things that it included that the the ID companies could not include.

Not included: Electrical cost is never the same for each client since it depends on how many lighting points, sockets, cable points you install, For the air-conditioners, I'd ask him to recommend someone he worked with before so that was excluded from the overall quote. I paid them separately.

Main thing to understand is that you get what you pay for. There were items which were of basic quality because he fit everything into his final quote, and I accepted it because of my budget. Also, I was very finicky with the quotes during my search for an ID/ contractor, but right now I'm operating on the premise that this is the overall final quotation amount and that there is a method to the madness eventually. He also threw in some stuff (e.g. shampoo ledges made of granite- not in quote) that if he DARED charge me I would be counting beans with him (e.g. I didn't even use up to $3.00 for 2 types of tiles and he quoted me at $4/$3.50. My kitchen and shoe cabinets, and therefore Caeserstone, ended up shorter and the quote was not amended, and so on). Give and take and I will just let it go. FYI I did not bargain with him at all for the final quote.

S/N  Description 
1  Kitchen entrance both side wall to hack off 
2 Kitchen entrance hacked wall surrounded broken wall to plaster good cement
3 Kitchen existing wall & floor tiles to hack off 
4 Kitchen part of wet area floor to lay waterproof chemical with cement
5 Kitchen floor to lay 300 x 600 floor tiles - Max tiles@$3 to $3.50
6 Kitchen wall to lay 300 x 600 wall tiles up to ceiling height except cabinet portion no new tiles - Max tiles@$4 (Subway tiles)
7 Kitchen floor to use HDB Approved Prepack 2 in 1 cement & labour to plaster
8 Kitchen wall to use HDB Approved Prepack 2 in 1 cement & labour to plaster
9 To supply & change 1 set stainless steel dustbin 
10 To construct 2" height cabinet base top plaster cement - 26ft 
11 2 toilet existing wall tiles & floor tiles to hack off including W.C & basin
12 2 toilet wall to lay 300 x 600 wall tiles up to ceiling height -Max tiles@$3 to $3.50
13 2 toilet wall to use HDB Approved Prepack 2 in 1 cement & labour to plaster
14 2 toilet floor to lay waterproof chemical with cement
15 2 toilet floor to lay 300 x 300 floor tiles *I used 30X60 eventually
16 One bathroom entrance divider to lay tiles 
17 Bathroom to construct shower kerb / drop-down kerb with tiles 
18 2 toilet floor to use HDB Approved Render 2 in 1 cement & labour to plaster
19 2 toilet centre partition wall to hack off
20 Toilet sewerage PVC pipe to box up using cement board & tile up * this was FOC but eventually I did not want a box up anyway
21 2 toilet centre hacked wall surrounded broken wall to plaster good cement
22 Existing bathroom entrance to seal up with hollow blocks & plaster cement
23 Hall & 2 bedroom existing floor tiles to hack off
24 Hall & 2 bedroom floor to lay 600 x 600 glossy floor tiles with skirting - Max tiles@$3 to $3.50
25 Hall & 2 bedroom floor to use HDB Approved Prepack 2 in 1 cement & labour to plaster
26 Utility room existing floor tiles to hack off
27 Utility room floor to lay 600 x 600 glossy floor tiles with skirting - Max tiles@$3 to $3.50
28 Utility room floor to use HDB Approved Prepack 2 in 1 cement & labour to plaster
29 Existing Bedroom 2 T-shape wall & 2 entrance door frame to hack off
30 Hacked Bedroom 2 T-shape surrounded broken wall to plaster good cement
31 Existing Bedroom 1 partition wall to hack off
32 Hacked Bedroom 1 wall surrounded broken wall to plaster good cement
33 To supply material & labour to construct hollow blocks wall & compound plaster at Bedroom 1
34 To supply & install 1 set wooden door frame with Veneer door at Bedroom new Entrance * I did not pick veneer eventually but it didn't matter as the price was pretty neutral
35 Existing Bedroom 2 wall to hack off for Bedroom 2 new entrance *this was a mistake and not removed. But because he gave me wardrobe sliding doors instead of casement doors without increasing the quote I just let it slide. It's not a big amount.
36 To extend Bedroom 2 with hollow blocks wall & compound plaster
37 Cement works to install 1 set new wooden door frame at Bedroom 2 new entrance *same as item 37. Essentially I believe I 'paid' for my sliding doors out of item 35 & 37
38 Kitchen & bathroom to change new stainless steel cold water
39 To run hot water stainless steel pipe at bathroom 
40 Plumber to install 1 set storage heater
41 Plumber to install 1 set W.C & 1 set wash basin 
42 Plumber to install washing machine in/outlet pipe & install water tap
43 Plumber to install sink in/outlet pipe & install sink tap 
44 Plumber to install spray jet, toilet roll holder & toilet accessories
45 Whole house 3 rooms, kitchen & hall wall & ceiling to paint 1 layer undercoat sealer paint
46 Whole house 3 rooms, kitchen & hall ceiling to paint using Nippon Matex White & wall to paint using Nippon Vinilex 5000 emulsion paint (Max 5 choices of colour) *He did mention it didn't matter if I wanted to add in more paint colours. Our quotation was so loose that he was happy to throw in a bunch of stuff without officially charging me.
47 Whole house door frame & PVC pipe to oil-paint / lacquer - include all doors
48 To supply & install tempered glass swing glass door at toilet entrance - Sandblast glass
49 To supply & install aluminium black frame clear glass panel sliding door at kitchen entrance
50 To supply & install 1 piece fix panel tempered glass at bathroom shower area
51 Bathroom & toilet to install black frame top hung glass window - Total 6 number opening hole
52 To supply 2 set KDK Brand Exhaust Fan 
53 Existing kitchen cabinet to tear off & clear away 
54 2 bedroom existing wardrobe to tear off & clear away
55 1 double deck bed & 3 desks to tear off & clear away 
56 Hall L-box holder, false ceiling & room cornices to tear off 
57 To fabricate & install kitchen bottom cabinet with ABS trimming in laminated finished & internal carcass in white PVC finished (Max laminate selection@$60) - Left hand *he also agreed eventually to change the internal laminates at no-extra charge to black or grey. But because I changed my mind about the external laminates, I left it as white.
58 To fabricate & install kitchen bottom cabinet with ABS trimming in laminated finished & internal carcass in white PVC finished at right hand side (Max laminate selection@$60) - 10ft
59 To supply & install slow motion hinges & tracks for kitchen cabinet door & 1 row drawers - DTC Brand *not Blum but I don't really care. Nothing lasts forever. And it's very cheap.
60 Kitchen cabinet table top to install Caeserstone table top at right hand bottom cabinet - 5100 / 5003 column *these were the model codes.
61 To supply & install slow motion hinges & tracks for kitchen cabinet door & 1 row drawers - DTC Brand *right hand side
62  Kitchen cabinet table top to install Caeserstone table top at left hand side bottom cabinet - 5100 / 5003 column
63 To fabricate & install low height shoe cabinet in laminated finished & internal carcass in white PVC finished (Max laminate selection@$60) - 4ft
64 To fabricate & install master room casement door wardrobe in laminated finished & internal carcass in white PVC finished (Max laminate selection@$60) - 10ft *changed to sliding, no change in cost
65  Master room wardrobe door & 1 row of drawers to install slow motion hinges & tracks - DTC Brand *again he seemed very chin chye as I had two rows of drawers. Let's wait till handover and see if I get slapped with a different bill.
66  Master room wardrobe internal to fabricate 1 set tofu column *didn't add cost for 2 tofu columns instead of one
70 To apply HDB permit FOC
71 Provide haulage & clear renovation debris 
72 Whole house wall tiles & floor tiles to chemical wash 
73 Supply paperboard to cover floor tiles *he did but this is quite nonsensical as the cover is...might as well don’t cover…waste money. I had to pay for this!
74 Main gate change to wrought iron gate*not wrought in the end as I chose a smooth iron with different design. Cost didn't change
75 Added on later: Toilet PVC pipe to move in near the big POC pipe
76 Added on later: Kitchen, 2 bedroom (he just couldn’t get it into his head there was no 2nd bedroom, but I know he meant the pre-existing ex-bedroom windows), utility & hall windows to aluminium tinted glass swing out windows
  Total: $49530

Hi @Catt

Big thank you for listing your itemised quote here! I'm totally ripping off and soliciting quotes based on this. :D Also, enjoying your renovation journey because it reads like a dark dramatic comedy! Hope it all goes well for you and the best bit — furnishing — is coming up! Can't wait for your updates!

Hi @stray thanks for stopping by. Do note that if I'd asked for plaster works it would probably cost more. The Caeserstone may increase the quote further after handover because my kitchen counter is wider than the norm (though it was shortened in the end), so we shall see the total damage only at the end if the reno.

To be totally honest don't stinge on certain basic things (like windows and gates) because the quality will be inferior and look inferior. Based on what I have, I don't think the windows will last very long... I will have to treat them with plenty of TLC. Also I have super ugly new iron gates right now (the soldering work and paint work is much to be desired), not sure how the contractor intends to rectify it. If he can't I'm burning money down the road to replace them. I regret not hacking off the main door and replacing both the door and gates from an outsourced company specialising in these items.

Hey @Catt Yes, I was wondering about the many times plastering cropped up in your quote! I wasn't sure if that was just a preventive measure and listing it every single time to make sure the contractor gets the walls smooth. So you'll be charged extra every time you specify for plastering?! Pardon my suaku-ness. Oops. 

Advice heeded! I was debating whether to outsource the windows/doors – which I know might be (slightly) cheaper, not sure until my quote comes in – or to entrust my contractor to arrange for everything, also to let him earn some. What's wrong with your current windows? Is it just that they are not adhering well to the walls, or the make is bad? Saw this windows + grills contact on @duomaxwell 's tblog and his windows look pretty profesh (Day 20 (16th Jan) - Service Yard Window Installation), maybe bookmark for future reference if your windows really cui down the road. How bad are the grills?! On a positive note, the kitchen is looking swanky, especially with those million-dollar scones. Class.

20 Aug'16 Update:

On Saturday Darkling Half and myself planted ourselves at the site from 11 am to 5pm  to watch the painters do touch-up for the paint and plastering. The walls are acceptably smooth to begin with as the previous owner had done some works, so all i needed was some patching and sanding to be done here and there. They also rectified a strange-looking wall beam that was protruding out by 1mm on one part of the wall and then fading into the rest of the wall on the other half. Told them to create an even 1mm protrusion just to balance it all out. Will take pics the next round. Around 5pm, I was brain-dead, Darkling Half was sitting on a plastic bag on the floor and snoozing while holding her tai-tai handheld fan. I was so bored I was up on the kitchen counter painting the grout line above the water pipe because I felt that asking the painters to do such delicate work is like asking them to embroider a dragon robe. I used turpentine to clean the stainless steel pipes and toilet door stopper myself and asked them to leave behind the turp, thinner and paint so I can do further touch-up myself after handover. I hope I don't have to burn up anymore of my precious weekends watching people patch the house.

Electrical update:

Electricians popped by to connect the hood, hob and oven. They created a socket in the cabinet for the hob (which they said must be perpetually left on- the 'control' switch for me is located in a row above the counter top). I learnt something new about wiring- the electrician's wife was tsk-tsking about the 2 pin plug that came with the Brandt hood. They cut off the plug-head and rewired it to the electrical switch they created for the hood previously. So very neat, no extra sockets, no extra trunking. Thank you for being so smart for once. They also finished installing all the track-lights and will return once more after the toilet mirror LED cabinet is installed, to connect the LED lights.

I promise to stop showing the same boring pics till I get furniture in...it's just simple works in the living room which is now completed.

3502phz.jpg

Carpentry update:

I also saw that the kitchen cabinet looks like it is placed in a slanted-manner. So the right side of the cabinet has a 1 cm or less slanted gap (which they put sealant and grouting) between the cabinet bottom and cabinet base tiles, and the left side of the entire cabinet is slightly slanted over the base. I reckon it is the entire wall that is slanted, causing such a compensation. It's not noticeable unless you have Darkling Half's eagle eyes. The front of the cabinet is flushed in parallel with the floor tiles so I don't think they accidentally skewed the entire cabinet. We, and now you will be the only people who know of this :ph34r:

I found some deep scratches on top of my shoe cabinet. HAIZ! Forget it, will hide it under a piece of table cloth and put my plants over it. Don't know who the culprit is, but seriously how will they rectify it? Tear out the whole laminate, damage the wall in the process, get glue everywhere...or use a magic marker and colour it in? I'm at the point I can't be bothered for them to all come back in. Same goes for the wardrobe, there are a few tiny chips due to the carelessness of the other contractors, but I will overlook it as it is internal/ not eye-level. 

To date the reno is up to 85- 90% complete. Pending:

- installation of toilet accessories (loo-roll holder, mirror cabinet with light, towel holder)

- rectification of iron gate (eh I don't know what the contractor intends to do and I didn't ask him to rectify it either, just complained to him. The soldering work is like ****, don't tell me he can fix that?)

-installation of kitchen counter tops

Other non-contracted works pending:

-Change of door lock (will contact A1 Locksmith whom I'd called for help twice to unlock my bedroom doors in the past)

-House number signage (at the moment there is no unit# signage- will go Alexandra Village to source. Darkling wanted a sign that read "##楼 ####号 in Cantonese... but I told her HDB doesn't allow anything that is not in Roman numerals- she angry :bangwall:)

-Roller Blinds (been trying to contact Softhome, so once I obtain an appointment I hope they can come over and do measurements/ give quote)

-Pulley clothes-hanging rack (thinking of using ezzyliving. I've obtained a quote from them so pending handover to have these installed in the utility room)

1 hour ago, stray said:

Hey @Catt Yes, I was wondering about the many times plastering cropped up in your quote! I wasn't sure if that was just a preventive measure and listing it every single time to make sure the contractor gets the walls smooth. So you'll be charged extra every time you specify for plastering?! Pardon my suaku-ness. Oops. 

Advice heeded! I was debating whether to outsource the windows/doors – which I know might be (slightly) cheaper, not sure until my quote comes in – or to entrust my contractor to arrange for everything, also to let him earn some. What's wrong with your current windows? Is it just that they are not adhering well to the walls, or the make is bad? Saw this windows + grills contact on @duomaxwell 's tblog and his windows look pretty profesh (Day 20 (16th Jan) - Service Yard Window Installation), maybe bookmark for future reference if your windows really cui down the road. How bad are the grills?! On a positive note, the kitchen is looking swanky, especially with those million-dollar scones. Class.

No, no not suaku.. I'm a noob myself.

If I asked them to re-tile, seal-up an existing doorway, or create a new wall then yes, I pay for specific plastering of these areas made of hollow blocks (e.g. item #32 Hacked Bedroom 1 wall surrounded broken wall to plaster good cement) . The new walls will be smooth as a baby's bottom vs the other older walls.The other types of plastering I've mentioned (and not part of the quote) is just targeted patching work (E.g. big hole/ crack in the wall that I asked them to help plaster up before painting).

I believe if you request for proper plastering, they apply plaster all over the walls of the entire house (unless you specify to keep certain walls original), smooth it out, and in places where parts of a beam are uneven, they insert this 90 degree metal piece to the corners so you can have a nice straight line, and plaster over. I didn't ask for that.

Windows/ gates: I was too trusting, I let the contractor find the sub-con for windows and gates. The frames of the windows and handles feel thin and 'hard'. When I try to open the windows, they are very tight (I know, new stuff right, but this one is super tight) and feel like they can cut my hands. The windows of my rental unit feel thicker and smoother (handles, glass and how the window opens). Door gate is the worst, I feel like a fool trying to be 'hipster' with those badly-made retro gates....ai ai..gates of shame... This window/door subcon is WEIRD. His sliding doors for the kitchen is fine, but others are not *roll eyes*

Thanks for the praise on the kitchen, I think I'm quite happy with it as well! :D

3 hours ago, Catt said:

-House number signage (at the moment there is no unit# signage- will go Alexandra Village to source. Darkling wanted a sign that read "##楼 ####号 in Cantonese... but I told her HDB doesn't allow anything that is not in Roman numerals- she angry :bangwall:)

-Roller Blinds (been trying to contact Softhome, so once I obtain an appointment I hope they can come over and do measurements/ give quote)

-Pulley clothes-hanging rack (thinking of using ezzyliving. I've obtained a quote from them so pending handover to have these installed in the utility room)

The cantonese unit numbers sound nice but not all will understand... lol. Roller blinds I can recommend Vincent... Hanging racks - how much are yours? I'm still looking for something.. hahaha

9 minutes ago, Lazyfatcat007 said:

The cantonese unit numbers sound nice but not all will understand... lol. Roller blinds I can recommend Vincent... Hanging racks - how much are yours? I'm still looking for something.. hahaha

Anyway, enough of retro old-skool stuff, if no one can understand the sign except Cantonese-readers, then what's the point?! :P

Could you share Vincent's contact/ shop name with me? I've set an appointment with Softhome but it wouldn't hurt to get a 2nd opinion.

Ezziliving sent me this when I dropped them an email enquiry. Initially I was going to go with the Tame system, but I had a really lame reason for choosing Ezziliving (I think Ezzi is an Australian system and Tame is a Taiwan system- end of the day both can be used to hang clothes up to dry).

1) The EZ Lift5 has 4 stainless steel poles of up to 1.86m in length which can be cut to size and 0.55m in width. Vertical displacement from ceiling down is 1100mm and load capacity is up to 20kgs. Arms are rust-proofed with powder-coating with the base made of UV-stabilized polycarbonate nylon. This works on a 4-gear mechanism, meaning that effort needed to pull up a heavy load is shaved to one quarter of the strength used. Moreover, the mechanism does not unlock and topple on one's head, hence this is elderly-and-child safe. This system comes with a 1-year hardware warranty. Price: $499. This will be mounted off-centre due to the ceiling light. Alternatively, ceiling brackets ($75) have to be used.

image.jpeg image.jpeg                      
Mounted with Wall Brackets.                        Direct mounted unto ceiling.

The EZ Lift5 quoted above comes with a 1-year hardware warranty.

2). The EZ Lift 5SS has 5 poles and arms are all in fully stainless steel material. Mechanism and specs are similar to the 4-pole system. 
Price : $599.

image1.JPG

Brackets are required if ceiling is false or ceiling is more than 2.4m high.  Cost of brackets: $90.

The accessory for the Ez Lift5 to hang at least 7 bedsheets at a time yet not compromising on the laundry load is the EL5 clothes-pin. Cost is $99 per pair. To buy this together with the EL5 will enable you to enjoy is at a 50% discount which makes it a nett price of $49.50
image.jpegimage.jpeg

All quoted prices are inclusive of 7% GST.  This period until End September, all manually operated systems have a 15% discount.

@Catt Sorry to hear about those windows! I just went to have a feel on the windows in my rental as well, I know what you mean. Sounds like they used a thinner material. If your windows aren't powder-coated, can it be sanded down/buffed for a rounder edge so you're not living on a knife's edge every time you open a window? Love the idea of the canto unit numbers though! Such a hong kong hipster feel to it. Can you do it with the chinese characters under it so even the illiterate can understand, but still got the feelz?

##-####

楼      号

@Lazyfatcat007 @Catt I was considering Ezzi Living too, and a contractor I approached passed me this other brand: Steigen . Their prices start from $799, automated system. I'm not affiliated to them! See if they're any good.

43 minutes ago, stray said:

@Catt Sorry to hear about those windows! I just went to have a feel on the windows in my rental as well, I know what you mean. Sounds like they used a thinner material. If your windows aren't powder-coated, can it be sanded down/buffed for a rounder edge so you're not living on a knife's edge every time you open a window? Love the idea of the canto unit numbers though! Such a hong kong hipster feel to it. Can you do it with the chinese characters under it so even the illiterate can understand, but still got the feelz?

##-####

楼      号

@Lazyfatcat007 @Catt I was considering Ezzi Living too, and a contractor I approached passed me this other brand: Steigen . Their prices start from $799, automated system. I'm not affiliated to them! See if they're any good.

Good idea on the placement of the words for the unit numbers...will ask Darkling Half if she's ok with that.

I don't think the windows can be filed as they look powder-coated. I just need to be careful and maybe will WD40 it to see if it helps with the tightness. I hope birds don't suicide-crash into the windows and crack them!

Thanks for the Steigen link, always good to have more options! I'm only looking at manual systems at the moment due to cost and maintenance (afraid if it breaks down it will cost more to fix!)