Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kellyla

Changing Job While Planning For A Kid

wow meridan, fortunately your hubby can support you.. :furious:

yeah, indeed lucky to be mentally and financially support. However, I wish to regain my financial independency when my girl grows older. :sport-smiley-004:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Juz quoting one true example in my company. They've hired this young gal w/o knowing dat she is pregnant. No-one knew & no-one asked becos its against the rule to ask a potential employee if she is pregnant even if she does look like it. Problem is, i guess this new gal doesnt look pregnant when she came to our company for interview. By the time they recruited her & she joined us, she's 5mths liao.

The first day she turned up, our bosses called up HR to demand for an explantion. But HR cant do anything cos employee has the rite not to say anything & the employer has no rite to ask. (But i rem them asking me if i plan to get pregnant soon leh kaoz). Now, bosses headache liao cos she is 6mths now & in another 3mths' time, she will be away from work. Worse thing is, becos she nv inform beforehand dat she is pregnant, HR also nv tell her dat she is not entitled to maternity leave unless she has completed at least 6mths' of full time work. So, she has to take unpaid leave (which she is not even supposed to becos she is under one-yr contract). If she comes back after her unpaid leave, the position will not be waiting for her too. Work still needs to be done & HR will get someone to replace her. She will juz have to pack her bags & be ready dat after her unpaid leave, she may end up with no job.

Such, is the true situations in sg. And mind u, im in the govt sector.

Juz quoting one true example in my company. They've hired this young gal w/o knowing dat she is pregnant. No-one knew & no-one asked becos its against the rule to ask a potential employee if she is pregnant even if she does look like it. Problem is, i guess this new gal doesnt look pregnant when she came to our company for interview. By the time they recruited her & she joined us, she's 5mths liao.

The first day she turned up, our bosses called up HR to demand for an explantion. But HR cant do anything cos employee has the rite not to say anything & the employer has no rite to ask. (But i rem them asking me if i plan to get pregnant soon leh kaoz). Now, bosses headache liao cos she is 6mths now & in another 3mths' time, she will be away from work. Worse thing is, becos she nv inform beforehand dat she is pregnant, HR also nv tell her dat she is not entitled to maternity leave unless she has completed at least 6mths' of full time work. So, she has to take unpaid leave (which she is not even supposed to becos she is under one-yr contract). If she comes back after her unpaid leave, the position will not be waiting for her too. Work still needs to be done & HR will get someone to replace her. She will juz have to pack her bags & be ready dat after her unpaid leave, she may end up with no job.

Such, is the true situations in sg. And mind u, im in the govt sector.

Actually in this case, the new employee has to partly responsible for not checking the maternity leave eligibility before she joins. It's stated on the MOM website : http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en...nity_Leave.html

But I'm surprised that the bosses did not ask during the interview. I'm also in the govt sector, and one of the question they asked me during the interview was my family plans, since I was newly married at that point of time.

Some1 said.. Career is temporary, while family is for life. u can retire fm work but not family :P

:D Know yr rights, here's some info.. hope this helps

- Is an offence under the Employment Act to dismiss or terminate an employee during her maternity leave.

- The Tripartite Alliance for Fair Employment Practices (TAFEP) was formed in May 2006 to promote fair n responsible employment practices that are equitable n impartial to all workers, including pregnant employees.

- Pregnant employees who feel they are being discriminated against at the workplace should approach MOM for assistance (6317-1398 or 6317-1164 with details of the case for further investigation).

Source:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en...employers_.html

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en...ekmomshelp.html

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en...gnantwomen.html

Sorry hor... watever stated on the Employment Act only protects those earning $1.6K & below.

If you earn above this amt, you're no longer protected by the Act.

The good news is - cos gov now encouraging more babies, if you felt tt u are mistreated (even if you are earning abt 1.6K), you can still log a complain to MOM & they'll try to *talk* to yr employer. But be prepared.

Aft the *Talk*, yr employer may give u yr maternity benefits etc.... but you can expect the environment to be difficult to work in aft u come bk from maternity leave.

They may even terminate u aft tt... just cos in the 1st place, they are aren't happy wif u being preggy but forced to keep u by the gov.

But once the bb is born, the employer sure show their :D face to you....

But I'm surprised that the bosses did not ask during the interview. I'm also in the govt sector, and one of the question they asked me during the interview was my family plans, since I was newly married at that point of time.

Yep..i also kenna asked when i plan to have kids.....Our HR did not ask...i guess there was no reason to cos she didnt look pregnant...

hi , im facing same situation now. cos currently im lookin for new job. but my hubby suggest i shd stay on until after i give birth den resign. im not pregnant yet but we ve plans to ve baby nxt yr. my hb worried tat if im new n pregnant in new company, duno will the new company ask me to leave cos im pregnant. whilelse at my current company, im here for 5yrs .reason i wan leave is becos my manager keeps bully me n im sick of her nonsenses.

my hb worried tat new coy will not give me my maternity benefits too.

i duno shd i quit now or not...wat shd i do?

hi , im facing same situation now. cos currently im lookin for new job. but my hubby suggest i shd stay on until after i give birth den resign. im not pregnant yet but we ve plans to ve baby nxt yr. my hb worried tat if im new n pregnant in new company, duno will the new company ask me to leave cos im pregnant. whilelse at my current company, im here for 5yrs .reason i wan leave is becos my manager keeps bully me n im sick of her nonsenses.

my hb worried tat new coy will not give me my maternity benefits too.

i duno shd i quit now or not...wat shd i do?

Hi it is always good to stay back if you intend to have a baby. Enjoying the benefits and a group of familiar colleagues(some may be good). Having said that , it takes time to get pregnant unless you got it on the first try. Some times it takes months to be pregnant.

Bullies in the office is a stressful thing to endure daily( it is very different from work stress, as you dont know what will come next). It may be even harder to take it if you are pregnant or in the process of trying to conceive. Maybe you can discussed with your hubby and set the priorties. or maybe you want to talk to this manager of yours find what why he/she kept making things difficult for you. And if you sort out the problem with your manager then you might well stay back and set up a family a planned.

if u noe the new company is more pro-family, then should be good to quit and cross over.

U never know when the baby is coming so plan in the present but prepare for the future (keep up to 6mth or more saving of income)

If you noe u r pregnant, then stay at the current job. New job, new expectation and u need to put up "show" during probation period, and this could be stressful and unhealty to bb in those long working hours :(