Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

my painting work from SDS is not very satisfactory to my expectation. No doubt their painting quote (mine is $1200 for 5i unit) is cheaper than usual, but their paint work need improvement.

currently painter doing touch up. hope by sat (handover date), the paint work will be better.

I didn't know paint work can be self source. will definitely consider this option.

But i wanna add that my id has been accomodating to my complains. reno is ending soon and i am glad with my reno work in general. will talk more on this when offical handover is completed.

Edited by steelze

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Got a quotation from James

Just want to compare cos i think some item are over-priced

DEMOLITION WORKS - S$2450

Hack off existing floor & wall tiles in kitchen - S$800

Hack off existing floor & wall tiles in MBR toilet - S$500

Hack off existing floor & wall tiles in Common toilet - S$500

Dismantle kitchen basin - S$ 50

Dismantle both toilet door & both bedroom & storeroom door - S$100

Dismantle carpet in both bedroom & living room - S$250

Dismolish kitchen wall - S$250

MASONRY WORKS - S$1120

Supply material & labour to cement screed kitchen wall after hacking - S$400

Make good kitchen affected after hacking - S$200

Level up kitchen area - S$250

Supply & construct 2 nos of shower kerb base - S$120

Supply & install 1 nos rubbish chute - S$150

PLUMPING WORK - S$1800

Supply & install new stainless steel piping for whole house (cold only) - S$580

Supply & install new stainless steel piping for both toilet (hot piping) - S$160

Supply labour & material to convert squating toilet bowl to seat type - S$160

Supply labour to install 2 nos WC in both bathrooms - S$160

Supply labour to install 1 nos Wash basin in MBR bathroom - S$ 80

Supply labour to install 1 nos Wash basin inlet & outlet pipe in MBR bathroom - S$ 80

Supply labour to install 1 nos Wash basin tap in MBR bathroom - S$ 60

Supply labour to install 1 nos Wash basin in Common bathroom - S$ 80

Supply labour to install 1 nos Wash basin inlet & outlet pipe in Commom bathroom - S$ 80

Supply labour to install 1 nos Wash basin tap in Common bathroom - S$ 60

Supply labour to install 1 nos kitchen sink - S$ 80

Supply labour to install 1 nos kitchen sink inlet & outlet pipe - S$ 80

Supply labour to install 1 nos kitchen sink tap - S$ 60

Supply labour to install 1 nos storage heater - S$ 80

Edited by wickaninsh

QUOTE (falconmerl @ Jan 19 2011, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All,

If you're unaware, *** is in William's team. we had the experience with both *** and William working styles during our renovation period from Nov 2010 to Jan 2011. *** was our main ID.

One of our strongest impression of *** was that he is a super patient, tolerant and understanding person. As my husband and I are new to doing any renovation, he had always promptly given us answers which we needed, as well as followed up on every part of the work and fixes that need to be done in the house.

Some background, my husband and I decided for a partial renovation for our flat. In summary, it comprises of re-doing the kitchen and 2 bathrooms, as well as partial of the living room flooring, painting, wardrobe and wallpaper.

*** was always willing to help us save money when there's a need to. For example, he had decided to help us knock down a small portion of the interior wall with no extra charges. This was not a straightforward process, as we had requested for it only after he had submitted the first application to HDB. At the end of the day, he had to resubmit another application to HDB for the knock off.

Along the way during material selection, when my husband and I had decided to go for mosaic tiles for the bathroom, he did not charge us additional for the tiles (which is out of range), but only charged us workmanship fee. He was also very patient with us when we selected tiles from 10 AM to 5:30 PM... it was a Saturday somemore..(Yup! we took the whole day!) Not to mention, other material selection took a super long time for deliberation.
William basically coordinated the plumber, cleaner, tilers, carpenter, electrical technicians, painters and citygas pple for us. As I live right below my new unit, i could monitor the renovation work closely... dropping by every single day to spot check. Nonetheless, *** never once hesitated to reply to my smses and he had handled all my complaints about workmanship issues around the house.
To be honest, till the last hour before *** boarded the plane for his overseas trip, I was still smsing him.. he gave William a proper handover before he left..

In summary:
1) Summit comprises of different teams. I suppose William heads one of the team (*** + other IDs).
2) Although there were some hiccups along the way during renovation (such as paintings and tiling), *** always kept a listening ear and had serviced us to his best. We felt lucky to have him as our ID as we felt that other ID will already ignore us, or flare at our never ending questions and complaints.
3) For us, Summit scores 85/100 for services rendered and 70/100 for workmanship. For Workmanship, there are two ways to manage the problems (1) let the ID do the inspection, and you do the second and subsequent round of inspection (of course, you need to know what to inspect). (2) similarly to what I chose to do, I did most of the inspection. If what was reported was not rectified, I jump on the ID =P.

Workmanship comprises of:
a) tiling
b) kitchen cabinet
c) wardrobe
d) toilets accessories installation
e) preserving existing floor tilings
f) handling owner's properties' condition (such as sink and windows)
g) wallpaper installation
h) shower screen
i) cleanliness prior to handover

4) No ID firm is perfect. Hence, prior to signing on the dotted line, seek as many clarifications as you can. One of the worse incident I'd encountered with summit was on the quality of the paint used. This was how we got to know *** as well.. Nonetheless, they were willing to clear the misunderstanding and compensate based on our request.

5) Our touchup period took longer than expected due to tiling problems in the bathrooms and regrouding. But all in all, *** had asked the tiler to work with me to rectify all tiling issues. We took 2 full days (due to the mosaic and the types of tiles we chose to use). Alot of hard work indeed, but all worth it. *** was really generous to allow his tiler to work with me these 2 full days, and to ensure our satisfaction to the max. (*** even took the initiatives to clear some re grouding stains for us. )

6) It will be best to have an idea of the concept at home, if you like something out of the usual e.g. Victorian or Europeans, you need to voice out to test the capabilities of the ID or contractor before engaging them. For Summit, we are generally satisfied.

Hope the above helps

Hi! falconmerl,

Appreciate if you can PM william contact to me?
Thanks in advance!

Beside, any nice pictures or photo to share with us?

Hi all,

Just want to share our experience with Summit Design and the ID we engaged, ******. From the first moment we met him, he made an impression on us. He patiently listened all our requirements and noted down every little details before giving a quotation. He wasn't pushy and very willing to make all the nitty gritty adjustments we requested.

God knows how many times we asked him to revise the quotation, changing this and that. I believed we made the right decision picking him as our ID. He is the man of action, if we asked something, he made sure things get done promptly. Even after the hand-over, if we made a call to him and asked to fix something (like leaking water pipe) , he promptly arranged for the plumber.

We renovated our Exec flat, re-do almost everything, hack the bomb shelter, re-do living, dining, study area, whole kitchen, bathrooms and bedrooms. There are a lot of work involved. ****** superbly did the coordination of plumber, cleaner, tilers, carpenter, electrician, painters and citygas officers for us. He is also considerate and conscious of the expenses we had to incur and try best to minimize the costs.

Along the way, both my husband and I kept changing our mind about adding this or removing that. ****** is most agreeable and not at all showed any impatience over our never-ending changes.

With the project this big, there were some hiccups and delays. The biggest trouble we had is our downstairs neighbor coming to our flat all the time complaining of the noise from renovation. She barged into our flat like she owned it and shout at the workers to stop working. She is the most unreasonable person I ever met. She even called HDB to complain. But we had the valid reno permit and there is nothing she can do. But she kept on coming to the flat, scold the workers, called ****** on his handphone everyday and complained. I don't know how ****** has the willpower to withstand her and listen to her. I certainly don't.

We also had another problem with the air-con piping. We decided not to change the air-con and continue using the ones left behind by previous owner, because the units are in fairly good condition and we like to save a few bucks. Unfortunately the water piping is not properly done and water started leaking after parquet flooring was completely done in the master bedroom. As a result, part of the floor tiles in front of bathroom are ruined. ****** arranged with the tilers to re-do the floor at no extra cost to us. Kudos to that!

To sum up, I must say we are extremely pleased with Summit Design and Dennis for their excellent service. We will definitely use them again if we ever buy a condo a few years down the road smile.gif)

QUOTE (sn2002 @ Jan 23 2011, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

Just want to share our experience with Summit Design and the ID we engaged, ******. From the first moment we met him, he made an impression on us. He patiently listened all our requirements and noted down every little details before giving a quotation. He wasn't pushy and very willing to make all the nitty gritty adjustments we requested.

God knows how many times we asked him to revise the quotation, changing this and that. I believed we made the right decision picking him as our ID. He is the man of action, if we asked something, he made sure things get done promptly. Even after the hand-over, if we made a call to him and asked to fix something (like leaking water pipe) , he promptly arranged for the plumber.

We renovated our Exec flat, re-do almost everything, hack the bomb shelter, re-do living, dining, study area, whole kitchen, bathrooms and bedrooms. There are a lot of work involved. ****** superbly did the coordination of plumber, cleaner, tilers, carpenter, electrician, painters and citygas officers for us. He is also considerate and conscious of the expenses we had to incur and try best to minimize the costs.

Along the way, both my husband and I kept changing our mind about adding this or removing that. ****** is most agreeable and not at all showed any impatience over our never-ending changes.

With the project this big, there were some hiccups and delays. The biggest trouble we had is our downstairs neighbor coming to our flat all the time complaining of the noise from renovation. She barged into our flat like she owned it and shout at the workers to stop working. She is the most unreasonable person I ever met. She even called HDB to complain. But we had the valid reno permit and there is nothing she can do. But she kept on coming to the flat, scold the workers, called ****** on his handphone everyday and complained. I don't know how ****** has the willpower to withstand her and listen to her. I certainly don't.

We also had another problem with the air-con piping. We decided not to change the air-con and continue using the ones left behind by previous owner, because the units are in fairly good condition and we like to save a few bucks. Unfortunately the water piping is not properly done and water started leaking after parquet flooring was completely done in the master bedroom. As a result, part of the floor tiles in front of bathroom are ruined. ****** arranged with the tilers to re-do the floor at no extra cost to us. Kudos to that!

To sum up, I must say we are extremely pleased with Summit Design and ****** for their excellent service. We will definitely use them again if we ever buy a condo a few years down the road smile.gif)

Woa! Is your neighbour an old lady or something? seems to me like she is tongue.gif I can empathize her esp if she is a child care giver. but it can't be helped since you need to take care of your home as well.. so as neighbours, she should tolerate (by right..) but if she keeps giving unreasonable complain? I'll call the police and charge her for disturbing and intruding into the property.. lol ..

QUOTE (Chicco @ Jan 15 2011, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm very puzzled how come no one has worked with James before... everyone only talks about those few guys in this forum....

Hi, I've signed with Summit for my upcoming reno and the ID happens to be James Chew. Not sure if there is more then 1 James working there but my impression with him is pretty good. Patient in answering my question and not pushy. smile.gif

Hi everyone,

I need to redo my resale 5rm flat...

Just gotten keys n plenty plenty of Reno to b done as unit is super rundown... Headache..

Would u mind sharing your quotes from suMmit for those who did ur 5rm overhaul? As am on a tight budget n dun wanna waste their time if the avg quote is way above mine...

Thanks in advance!

Just received quotation, layout, ceiling plan from him yesterday night, quite fast as he told us within 1 week but now only few days!

Thinking to take out some items and adding other items that we want to do.

Shortlisted him and another 1 after run thru 5 ids.

Think will going to finalise it with him this weekend as we wanna start our reno after CNY, hope he can give us discount.

William said will bring us to view his customer's house at Bedok this weekend.

If possible, i will ask him to bring me to view your house, ok right?

Heheh! :P

hi tamiajack,

can pm me ur quotation & william's ctc? i need to ref for my 5rm resale flat too... n need to start after cny as well...

thanks!

The painting is too cheap? :o Sorry i really not so good regarding reno.... First time doing this kind of stuff.....

Thanks for the feedback..... :lol:

For dulux, there's this super maxilite which can come in any colors you want (colors which are from the premium catalog such as dulux all, wash and wear etc) but it is an industrial type of paint hence when water touches it, it smudge.. no good..

I'm sure there's this 'industrial type' of nippon as well.. be careful..

QUOTE (carolina @ Jan 21 2011, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi! falconmerl,

Appreciate if you can PM *** contact to me?
Thanks in advance!

Beside, any nice pictures or photo to share with us?

Note: Please not that the cornices were not done by summit.. I'd invited someone else to do it.

5388820605_589f833ce5.jpg

5389428298_f5a6ae3f35.jpg

He did the dark brown part of the floor in the living room... other part of the floor tiles were left behind by the previous owner
5388825255_2322e825fe.jpg

5389434846_96dfc77e6b.jpg

5389438468_343e97ae87.jpg

Just signed up with Summit William last few day, he said will only come out the 3d drawings to us after CNY 15th Feb as their office will be close from 28th Jan to 15th Feb.

Hope he can work out something nice & cozy look for our home.

Will not up date anything yet before he finalise all designs for us.

tongue.gif