Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rafale

Best Method To Build House (process Wise)

Hi all!

Would really like to see what's the best way, in regards to building a house - Major A&A, Reconstruction, New erection, etc.

As I understand it.... 3 main methods;

A) Get Architect and Professional Engineers (PE), who tenders out job to main contractor (MC), and qualified Surveyor (QS) to certify work done and grant payment to MC.

B) Get Architect and PEs, get quotations from main contractors, but no QS or tender involvement- just yourself and maybe Architect to assist in certifying work done.

C) Get Architects and PEs, you become your own MC (??), and get all your neccessary jobs sub-contracted (SC) out.

Question - Which way is best? Obviously option C is cheaper than A, but is it possible? And how to prevent MC from going bust and ensure work completion (on time, if at all)?

My comments; Option A is most proper, but expensive. Too many middle men. But MC can still go bust....

Option C is the safest but most personal involvement, no payment problems: E.g. MC run away with your money, SC stop working as you keep paying them in short but regular intervals - so work keeps moving fwd.

Option B is cheaper than A, but has dangers - like MC runs off after half job done, as profitable portion has been completed, so no motivation to carry on.

E.g. Total building costs is $325k, but broken down to portions to illustrate my point (E.g. Structural=$300k, Window=$10k, Finishing=$10k Aircon=$5k) So total is still a fair price, but Structure is very expensive and the rest unbelievably cheap. He finshes structure, takes your $300k and runs off. You only have $25k left to finish off, but can't be done! How ???

Welcome your comments and experiences.... :dancingqueen:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi all!

Would really like to see what's the best way, in regards to building a house - Major A&A, Reconstruction, New erection, etc.

A) Get Architect and Professional Engineers (PE), who tenders out job to main contractor (MC), and qualified Surveyor (QS) to certify work done and grant payment to MC.

B) Get Architect and PEs, get quotations from main contractors, but no QS or tender involvement- just yourself and maybe Architect to assist in certifying work done.

C) Get Architects and PEs, you become your own MC (??), and get all your neccessary jobs sub-contracted (SC) out.

Question - Which way is best? Obviously option C is cheaper than A, but is it possible? And how to prevent MC from going bust and ensure work completion (on time, if at all)?

My comments; Option A is most proper, but expensive. Too many middle men. But MC can still go bust....

Option C is the safest but most personal involvement, no payment problems: E.g. MC run away with your money, SC stop working as you keep paying them in short but regular intervals - so work keeps moving fwd.

Option B is cheaper than A, but has dangers - like MC runs off after half job done, as profitable portion has been completed, so no motivation to carry on.

E.g. Total building costs is $325k, but broken down to portions to illustrate my point (E.g. Structural=$300k, Window=$10k, Finishing=$10k Aircon=$5k) So total is still a fair price, but Structure is very expensive and the rest unbelievably cheap. He finshes structure, takes your $300k and runs off. You only have $25k left to finish off, but can't be done! How ???

Welcome your comments and experiences.... :bangwall:

Hi, this is my 2 cents worth:)

do you personally have experience in renovation jobs or are you trained in building & project management? If not, i think your option c is out.. since you are talking about construction.. not interior decor works. true, you may not have payment problems but most likely will have other set of problems! Managing sub-con not easy. firstly youhave to source for ALL subcons and theres alot of them.. you have to know which trade to come in first.. or come in together.. you have to make sure the subcons can work with each other.. etc.. may end up with abortive work if its not co-ordinated properly..

your concern with MC can go bust, both option a and b also faces that problem. Main thing to look out for is to make sure you select a good one.. look at track records, financial statements, current work commitments of the contractor.. etc..

I think option b is do-able if you have some knowhow on how to assess work done.. eg % of concreting works done.. % of electrical works.. usually b4 even reno works are done, may have to pay them some 'preliminaries' for their costs incurred like buying insurances, application fees, etc

If you leave it to architect to help (like in option b), i think most architects will just hire their own QS. And you will end up paying for the QS indirectly coz the architects will just price in a higher amount when they quote you. This may not be a bad thing you know. It just mean that you will only need to liaise with the Archi. just make sure you get a good architect :bangwall:

So i think the best and the most fuss-free is option a. :notti:

So i think the best and the most fuss-free is option a. :bangwall:

I kinda agree to unless you have some construction background and have some personal contacts int he industry.

Opt (a) wld be fuss-free and you only have one contact person to deal with.

If it was me, I wld leave the structural and major items to the professionals and only get involved in the aesthetics and interior.

But I still being involved wld be an exciting and enriching experience ...

I have gone through redevelopment, now doing A&A. Option C is out of the question unless there is no expectation of completion within reasonable schedule in.

Your example figures are way off for today's environment. Option B is most practical.

The key is success is to be reasonable, and to get a financially strong contractor.

There is another option "Design & Build" - whereby one main body takes care of the whole works from Conceptualising, Building, Furnishing & Even Decorating. This can take out the hassel of working with multiple parties and avoids miscommunications. Usually a Main Contractor who orchistrates the Architectural, Structural and Finishing Works. View this site for more details : http://www.bca.gov.sg/designbuild/design_build.html

Edited by dhotshop

As being working in a sub-con company here...

Here is my opinion for your perusal...

Select Option B with some alteration to it which is the most value of money as the MC will not do a double markup on the price for sub-cons work which the amount can be quite significant depending on the total value of the work...

1. Architects - to design and do submission to authority...

2. PE (usually consultant firms) - to deisgn M&E services, prepare & draft tender, submission of M&E services to authorities and invite contractors to tender for work

3. Project Manager cum QS (usually project management firm or consultant firm who can include in project management) - to manage the contractor and project work.

4a. Main contractor(MC) with domestic sub-cons(DSC) where all the DSC will go under contract with the MC and not with owner. Risk - if MC got financial prbs or go bust, will affect all the downstream SCs even though the owner pay on time, eventually lead to project failure or delays... simply put it, SC will stop/delay work if not pay properly...

4b. Main contractor(MC) with nominated sub-cons(NSC) where the NSCs will have direct contract with the owner instead of the MC but the MC will manage them for the project work. Payment to the NSC will be from owner via MC hence the NSCs are in lower risk. If the MC got financial prbs or go bust, the downstream will not be greatly affected hence less risk.

Hi all!

Welcome your comments and experiences.... :sport-smiley-018:

4a. Main contractor(MC) with domestic sub-cons(DSC) where all the DSC will go under contract with the MC and not with owner. Risk - if MC got financial prbs or go bust, will affect all the downstream SCs even though the owner pay on time, eventually lead to project failure or delays... simply put it, SC will stop/delay work if not pay properly...

4b. Main contractor(MC) with nominated sub-cons(NSC) where the NSCs will have direct contract with the owner instead of the MC but the MC will manage them for the project work. Payment to the NSC will be from owner via MC hence the NSCs are in lower risk. If the MC got financial prbs or go bust, the downstream will not be greatly affected hence less risk.

wow :dancingqueen: very detailed leh. i think better to hav your 4a option. coz may have problems with NSC leh.. they are not the MC's own people and when problem arises MC will come to you saying they cant work with your NSC etc etc.. my reno experience not much la but from what i remember we usually get MC to employ DSC unless for special special requirements/jobs, u get him to work with your NSC.

dhotshop's design and build also good! one MC take care of everything :D traditional method is to have consultants and contractors separate coz you want the consultants to watch over the contractors mah. but if you know a good and reliable MC whos also good in design, then i think D&B is the way to go!

wow :notti: very detailed leh. i think better to hav your 4a option. coz may have problems with NSC leh.. they are not the MC's own people and when problem arises MC will come to you saying they cant work with your NSC etc etc.. my reno experience not much la but from what i remember we usually get MC to employ DSC unless for special special requirements/jobs, u get him to work with your NSC.

dhotshop's design and build also good! one MC take care of everything 8| traditional method is to have consultants and contractors separate coz you want the consultants to watch over the contractors mah. but if you know a good and reliable MC whos also good in design, then i think D&B is the way to go!

u are right if the development is a small scale but it will not be cost effective for large scale project...

ok, i know i am very late in the reply...just got to know this forum not that long ago, wish i did earlier. The thread started has apparently gone missing.

But which ever is the case, i am going to put some pts here for others to consider when they want to go down the path of a complete rebuild.

+ design n build is probably the most hands off option as compared to a hybrid. There are more and more architect companies that can take this as a project. Bringing in the main con, surveyor, PE, ID etc.

>>>and you can control your budget very well and less overruns.

+ hybrid option, you need to have an understand of the process with guidance from main con or architect. It depends on your expectation. Not necessary that you need to be a project manager but you can get the architect to do this but you are consulted quite a lot and you have to be decisive. As for budgeting, most likely to have overruns... :P

Both is good but you need to decide on what suite your time allocation and lifestyle. At the end, both will get you to your dream house. I have also seen many new built houses but they are really weird in layout which maynot be what your wife and you wants. If you go for a rebuild (A&A is possible but may require major works), you can get what you want and if you are particular about fengshui, you can get the best harmonious house money can buy. :D

My wife and i have chosen the hybid option and we did not rush the project, it tooks us almost a year in planning before work actually started.

p/s: before i forget, if you are going for a hybrid, try to get a good clerk of work to supervise and be your pair of eyes. He/she maynot be on your payroll for 12 mths but during critical steps of the rebuild eg. casting, piling etc. :bow:

This is a house you're talking about. Do you have the time and expertise to project manage everything yourself?