Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pikachuuu

A lot of white and brown sia

Thought for a while whether to pen down our journey and have decided to do so after gaining so much from fellow forumers here. We are still in our very very very early stage of renovation, so this would be ongoing until it is done. 

Our floor plan is the same as @slashmylove, since you can view the floor plan there, just go visit the t-blog okay!

Some other T-blogs which we found useful were: 

Don't sad if your t-blog is not here, unfortunately  we didn't have a lot of time to read all the t-blogs (you will see why later).

also a special mention:

- this is by far the most entertaining t-blog we have read, even if you are not intending to have the same design, just go in to read and have a laugh haha. 

Have not thought of how to organise this thread considering everything is still work in progress. 

The rough plan would be Feng shui -> finding our contractor/ID (keeping the suspense for now :P) -> our eventual design and the beautifully drawn 3D drawing -> aircon contractor -> Loots from Singapore -> Loots from Taobao -> Renovation journey. 

Renovation is slated to start after New year day, so for those who are only interested to read that part, please come back again! 

Some housekeeping rules

• I will NOT be sharing the contacts of anyone in the T-blog lest people say I am advertising. Nowadays very sensitive ah, bloggers all must put #ads on their posts, got apply to T-blogs? hahaha
  • You can PM me to ask for the contacts but I will NOT be responsible if they wrecked your house hor, this kind of things some times must see fate one tio bo? If you don't like each other,or expectations mismatch then dont neh si ask them do your house ok? They pek cek you also pek cek. Then you pek cek don't come find me hor. Counselling not my day job.

Ok finally:

Budget: ~30k for renovation, 20k for furnitures, appliances etc, 20k for wedding (ok nvm that one another story hahaha)

Theme: Scandi, cannot tell from the title meh.

Edited by pikachuuu

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Sian I wrote such a long post kena deleted due to accidental refresh :(

Feng shui ah feng shui.. what a story.

We are a young couple who doesn’t really believe much in these kind of things. The max we do sometimes is to go and see those ego-boosting posts like “horoscope/zodiac personalities” and am chio when they say we are smart and successful chio bu and yandao.:D

But you know, having nearly waged a WW3 for the wedding, we decided to “choose our battles wisely" for the house. After all, for weddings, people don’t remember anything except the food, but god forbid if you don’t do feng shui.

“ask u see feng shui don’t want la, now dai ji many many”

This for the rest of our lives. #nothanks.

Anyway, we didn’t consult the famous FSMs (feng shui masters) featured in renotalk or other forums because we heard that the prices are super expensive? Like my friend who only counted her wedding date - $150. Siao bo. $150 can jiak a lot of food leh. If wedding date already $150, feng shui for house how much sia.

Our FSM is apparently THE FAMILY FSM because at least four or five of my relatives have asked him to check stuff out. As my mother loves to say, because their houses got FSM see, my aunties, uncles nearly every week will tio 4D, and because my dad doesn’t believe, our house no strike 4D. This fear tactic, #icannotwin.

So the FSM will do everything properly for you but you also need to buy the necessary stuffs like fruits (not just pineapples, and not just 1 pineapple but 5), coins, beans, small red cups etc etc.

The most exciting part is of course the roll ong lai. #huatah!  

Just very basic concepts

• If there are positions that are bad for you, you are suppose to “ya” the places with heavy stuffs (e.g. sofa, bookshelves) so that the bad evil air or what wouldn’t overpower you lol.
  • For good places (like your huat corner), he told us to put laughing Buddha, coins etc, all the huaty stuff la.
  • All these positions are dependent on your 8 zi (there is also another school of FS thoughts that don’t look at 8 zi, but my FSM never go that school :P)
  • Kitchen door should never be higher than your main entrance door, because… I forgot why. Just cannot lah. So we had to put a curtain at the kitchen door (you know like the ramen shop kind), bought it from taobao. Cannot wait to show u guys!!
  • Then you also need to put some ornaments thingy, again dependent on your 8-zi.

Now the key question:

How much did he charge?

Up to you! But please don’t CB give $50 hor.

Because he also counted our wedding dates,

We ended up giving him three angbaos.

Why cannot combine leh? You ask my mother lor.

$80 (wedding date) $50 (his transport fee to my house) $318 (for house -> this is for the dong tu portion, xie tu portion still have to give I think)

The last figure is so weird because when I told my mom we bao $288, she gave us the WTF look, so we add another $30. Since the uncle still got pick up my mother’s call and say hi to us, I supposed he is ok with the amount.

He communicates via messages and phone calsl, don’t have to make appointments to see him all the time, very convenient hor?

Ok that’s it for the feng shui post!

pineapple.jpg

Edited by pikachuuu

Our initial design

We got our house key in early Nov and thought naively we can move in before the CNY. This obviously will not happen and we hope we can move in just slightly a few days after CNY or maybe end Feb. Anyway it didn't matter to us since the estate is really new. I don't think we can stand all the noise and dusts as other neighbours are doing up their homes. 

This was our first draft of the design that we wanted (before we saw the FSM, ID, contractors etc). This was done before us mastering our floor plan. The layout for the MBR toilet could not be done this way in the end simply because there is a window at the side where we thought we could put our shower facility. Honestly don't know what the developers are thinking. Stupid max. Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.41.40 AM.png

*pardon the Engrish on the photos, did it at midnight while the wife watched her Korean dramas tsk tsk. 

Also note that this would be the only post where I will show you what we intended to do, the posts below would be the REAL thing already :yeah:

Some snapshots of the file we sent to contractors and IDs. Need to thank all the good people at and pinterest for all these inspirations! Also all the homeowners who are generous enough to share :DScreen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.41.50 AM.png

This has changed quite a bit following our ID/contractor visit + FSM. Apparently to make the seat-by-the-window we need to put a false ceiling there - this was something we had no knowledge about initially. Also it meant add $$$!!! :curse: so we decided to scrap that away. instead we chose to put 2 floor-to-ceiling cabinets and linked them to the TV console. So wife cannot sit by the window and act atas already. :jammin:

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.42.27 AM.pngOur actual color scheme follows the kitchen one for the entire house. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.42.04 AM.png

We saw this kind of design at our friend's house and we wanted it too, that hole to put all the shampoo, so easy to reach! Again we naively thought that simple design = simple work. Turns out need to overlay a lot of things. :deal: so we decided to keep to a simple toilet with the glass door. 

Screen_Shot_2016-12-27_at_10_42.18_AM.png

This was the design that cost us the most money because a lot of design work is needed. Also apparently it is illegal because of the height of the platform bed or something (depending on how high you make). But because the wife already gave in on the seat-by-the-window, So I also gave in la, give her the platform bed (hopefully ours is not illegal). Can store things also good la, 4 room small leh. The dressing table she say don't need wor. Can sit on floor and put paint on her face. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.42.11 AM.pngEnded up we are not putting a build in wardrobe for this. but table similar. 

IDs/Contractors

So with full confidence that we can do all the above stuff below 30K, we went to 

a contractor first. 

Contractor A 

Initially we wanted to just give him the job straight away without looking for anyone. Why?

Because my current house is old and HDB told us to upgrade the toilet and stuff, he was introduced by one of the HDB staff and in the end my mother decided to revamp her entire kitchen with him for 16k. The workmanship was superb too. Also my mom introduced a lot of people to him. Wah lao, my house macam like showroom, everyday got people come in and see the kitchen one. Should have charge money for my reno fund sia. 

Then he came back with a quote - 45k :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: 5k left.. to buy aircon...

That was when we got into panic mode and started our journey on renotalk. Yes, unlike other couples who started their research 1-3 years ago, our was TWO WEEKS before key collection :rofl:

At that moment we felt a bit betrayed, like wah lao eh, intro so many people to you, you charge me 45k?! So there was a mad scramble for quotes on renotalk... 

*Ended up we realised that because we wanted a lot of things, there was no way that with the design that we wanted it would be below 40k one. So hence a lot of things we gave up heh and the quote came down to $31,500 after a lot of design changes and back and forth communication.

ID K 

This guy was introduced by fellow RT-er, the RT-er also seemed very sincere about recommending him so we took a chance! ID K was very responsive. I booked an appointment with him on Thursday night, he said he can meet me on Sat and even had a half done-up 3d design for us :jawdrop:. Contractor A was not this responsive but still responsive lah. We spent 2 hours listening to his talk on interior design and all the stuff that we wanted to do, he would tell us openly that it cost a lot or that it is not possible. That was indeed the omgwearesoscrewed moment. So we went home feeling like experts and waiting for the quotation that came ONE DAY later (contractor A took 1-2weeks), about 35k (we were ready to part with 35k at that point because of his service really). Set up to see the house that he was in charge of 1 week later. 

Then it was decision making time. It was really tough. We rate the two persons on their workmanship, responsiveness (this was important to us back then because we scared the FSM make a lot of changes then the chosen one have to propose new things for us ma) etc etc. Wife's and my score always turned out to be opposite. :fire:

Ended up we picked contractor A because wife suddenly moodswing! and decided that contractor A's workmanship was better and should be the most important factor. So we had to tell ID K that we are rejecting him, and felt sad about the fact that our fate with him ended like that. He's a really good guy, full of ideas, easy to chat with too. :( Not that contractor A isn't lah, but just saying. 

Other mentions.

The famous duo (J & E i think) from RT

Got their contact, messaged them, nothing happened, maybe wrong number? Anyway sua lor. 

The uncle from Yishun forgot the name liao (also RT) 

Uncle said the 45k design he no time to do, so we told him is ok, we made some changes can help us see any way? No reply. No fate. 

R&R

initially we contacted them, then seeing some negative stuff on RT we said #kthxbye

Some Facebook page with the word Budgetz or something. 

tell us email them, then email already bo hiew us too. 

Edited by pikachuuu

• Like 1

Combining 3D drawing and aircon post together here...

Now that you have seen how we wanted our dream house to look like, you must be anticipating how it looks like in 3D, based on our floor plan right!!!!!

Nah! 3D drawings :DScreen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.18.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.19.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.18.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.19.12 PM.png

Wife was initially :jawdrop: even though I warned her before. Our friends also laughed at us  (har you paid 31k for this kind?!) 

Zhe mo jiang bad de.... 

I am not going to insert anymore because you get the gist....anyway wife's dad said during his time, there were no drawings even, just use mouth. #respecttheoldergeneration.

Contractor A very old school, still use HAND to draw. But the lines very straight hor?

After the wife got used to the drawings, she was actually appreciative about it because it allowed her to focus on the details (women :dunno:...) So unlike ID K who could do everything up in a day or two, these hand-drawn designs took about one week or two. If you are in a rush to move in, then maybe contractor A is not for you, he is also busy with the toilet upgrades by HDB... 

So while we waited for the drawings and changes made to the drawing (because wife pattern more than badminton), we got HDB to screed the floor and repair all the defects first. Use a number lock instead of the key lock to let the workers in ok. Easier for them. We also bought drinks for them, maybe thats why the bare house looked quite nice.;)

Because we opted for NOTHING, there were no tiles, no doors, no sink. Only got toilet bowl for us to pee in and ugly windows hai. So the defect checking was very fast. Just some cracks on the walls that kind. 

HDB told us that screed would take about one month, but ours took 1-2week heng ah. Note that HDB only provide 40mm screed for free (for our batch ah (May 2013), newer batches we don't know), so we received a few calls from the HDB contractors to top up to 50mm for vinyl. Because we scared we tio scammed, so we ask them to talk to our chosen one. 

IMG_2451.JPG

Ok so screed finish. 

Then aircon was the next thing we need to headache about. 

The wife thinks i print money one, INSISTED on system 4, so bo bian get system 4 lor #chooseyourbattleswisely. Then another tendering round again. But before that we narrowed our choices to Daikin and Mitsubishi Electric. Why? Because they are the two most used brands in SG, so they must be doing something right la hor? Else other people sure kpkb. #monkeyseemonkeydo.

We also wanted 5 ticks because we love the environment and they are energy efficient la. #savemyworld!

So it was a toss up between the Daikin smile series and the ME Starmex. 

Wife was si bei tired at this point, so we asked the chosen one. The chosen one recommended his aircon contractor to us (not part of his team, just that he used this guy for his house). 

Initially he quote 4.6k for Daikin smile series, ME was more expensive I think because it was a newer model, so we dropped ME.  Then, wife sent me to ask for discount. Yes mdm! and it became $4450.

At the same time someone from our BTO group recommended aircon contractor A from G.C. so we thought why not ask for another quote. Oh yes, father in law told us to avoid Gain City (not to be confused with aircon contractor A's company) at all costs because they also sub out the jobs to contractors and if you tio a sai one GG liao. But if you gian credit card points then go for GC or other big stores, the one that we eventually chose doesn't accept credit cards. 

He quoted us $4299! 

Then we were like oh my god... how to choose now?! on the more optimistic side, at least we know we weren't grossly overcharged. ;)

Specs are the same for both aircon guys

18k BTU (living room) 9k for all three rooms

1/2" armaflex insulation 

SWG22 copper pipe

16mm drain pipe

Keystone 3C40/3C70

Wife was very torn at this point because one is used by the chosen one, and the other guy got more positive social media reviews.

In the end we picked aircon contractor A. Because we love As. This is Singapore! We need as many As as possible!!:sport-smiley-003:

Ok, on a serious note. It was partly because the other guy only registered his company for one year. So even though the chosen one was happy with him, we were a bit wary la. He is also very responsive lah, if you want to give him a shot. 

But this reason is only 20% of why we pick aircon contractor A. The main bulk of the reason is because the wife likes their logo. 

No joke. 

the way my wife do things, sometimes I also cannot understand. don't believe, I show you. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.44.02 PM.png

This is the logo. #wahlaoeh

Her reasoning is: if guys are willing to wear this kind of act cute logo on their polo tee and on the vans they drive, they must be good. Those opening business you know what to do hor? Plus, also because our neighbours really got quite a few let him do, so we felt a bit safer. In fact after he came our house, 4 neighbours over at the next block signed with him. Huat liao lor. 

He came down with his colleague twice, once to say hi and map out how the pipes will flow. They very satki sia, came into our house with hoverboard/segway whatever those are called la. After we told him about our aircon usage, he told us 3 ticks is enough because it will take very very long for us to earn back the additional amount we spent on 5 ticks. #sorryGaiamoneycomesfirst. So our aircon cost us $4100 in the end!

Some photos of the piping. They very fast sia, 10.30am do until 2:45pm. Wife and I didn't supervise the work ops. We went dating :wub: to find heaters. Another headache. 

IMG_2458.JPG

Aircon contractor A was very helpful and patient. We asked him why some aircons, the insulation at the outside is wrapped with aluminium foil. He said because of the materials use, the rubber may melt at high temperatures so must use the foil to cover. But aramaflex (this black thing) will not. (sidetrack, every time he message me, he will end the message with a :) and a kissonthecheek, so I had to show the wife just in case she jelly our bromance).

IMG_2459.JPG

Ok enough photos of the pipes liao hor? Also you can see the walls, VERY WHITE HOR?! white until I cannot see the cracks liao. The HDB contractor really did a great job rectifying the defects. He even wash our cracked toilet tiles and replaced them even though we didn't see the defect due to dust. :wub:

IMG_2457.JPG

*wife's ang gong kia posing above. 

There are no aircons installed yet because aircon contractor A said some workers will abuse it and turn it on while they work. :wacko: Then it gets very hard to clean because of all the dust and stuff, not to mention our electric bills. The next time we will see aircon contractor A would be when we are about to finish the renovation! But in the meantime, he got send me xmas audio leh, you all got received (don't have please rethink your friendship yo)? The indian guy singing merry christmas that one. #jokersia. 

P/S wife also asked him for the logo STICKERS. Can you believe this woman. Aircon contractor A gave her 10 mini ones and ONE BIG ONE. Hai. Bor pi she don't paste on the house wall or sew them to my clothes. Apparently got people ask him for the polo tee before. :blink:

IMG_2462.JPG

Edited by pikachuuu

Singapore shopping

This is one post I don't really want to update. The past few months my credit card got so many lines on it. Every time the sales person asked me cash or credit, I could feel the trickle of the cold sweat down my back. :bow: Then, if you happen to have a wife like mine who look for cost-effective products instead of cost-SAVINGS product. Wah, siao man. 

Money+lessons_351c08_5919183.jpg

I showed her this before, she told me "ya, i save $250" and proceeded to accuse me of not understanding the notion of value (!!!) and only care about the cost :dunno:

Anyway, we bought a few lights from Philips carnival sale which cost us about $360. There's no need to show the links or pictures because is the very simple stick to the ceiling kind. We didn't opt for any dangling or creative designs because wife said she is not going to wipe the dusts away. #simplicityisgood. Later I asked wife, why we buy from the carnival when she said Philips is cheaper if we buy from Taobao. 

She said

a) just in case the taobao one cui diao, we still can have some lights and don't have to light candles

b) just to make you understand the concept of value and cost. #winliaolor. 

*also bear in mind that we have not open or test any of the things we have purchased because nothing is done yet at this stage, so reviews on them later when we use them.*

Ok lights done. 

Kitchen 

We went to Hoe Kee because there were some sales #ilovesales!!! 

Even though there's one in Jurong, wife pulled me to Tanjong Katong, saying "everyone goes there". Ok lor. 

We got Hob ($599), Hood ($499) (side track, wife call this oil sucker hahahah this stupid woman. :rofl:  and sink ($180) for $1,278

Because there is some promotion with the brand we have gotten, so we got free cooler from Coleman #ilovefreegifts. 

I REALLY HATE WRITING THIS DOWN, BECAUSE IT REMINDS ME OF MY BANK ACCOUNT!! :curse:

I need to calm down. Woooo. 

So because of how small our kitchen is #stupid HDB, we really couldn't buy huge *** stove and sink. Also the FSM said if we are buying a double sink, the tap needs to face one particular direction and if it is a single sink, then we need to put the tap on one side instead of in the centre. For the stove, we need to buy odd number burners and the knobs needed to be in front. 

Armed with this huaty requirements and taking into consideration the size of our kitchen, our Chosen One told us that the dimension of the sink and stove should not exceed 60-70cm. This basically cuts out almost all double sinks and the "default" 90cm stove. 

Our oil sucker and stove came from La Germania, based on our requirements it was either this Italian brand or  UNO from China. Plus there was the 25% off the pricing for La Germania and the cooler (the cooler free gift wasn't really important to us, but just that is free, so limpeh song). So we decided to go for La Germania. 

http://www.hoekee.com.sg/p-500-lagermania60cm3brassburnersdualwokhobp6501d9xt.html

P6501D9XT_Small-1la.jpg&w=1000&h=1000&f=

http://www.hoekee.com.sg/p-1811-lagermania90cmtelescopiccookerhoodk9gt9x.html

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 2.40.41 PM.png

all in the 60cm dimension. 

Also wife saw some T-blog owners having Blanco sink, so she wanted it too, but it was not to be. #hengah. 

http://www.hoekee.com.sg/p-440-rozrz238aundermountstainlesssteelsink.html

In the end we got this one which was supposedly Hoe Kee's in house brand. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 2.42.24 PM.png

This is the undermount version which the sales guy intro-ed after knowing that our sink will be built upon cement. Of course we read about some concerns regarding workmanship affecting overall usability but since there's no problem with my current kitchen sink, so we put faith in the Chosen one la. 

TV,Washing Machine and Fridge

Harvey Norman recently got sale at Millenia Walk so we went and look see. Previously we went to Best Denki to look see already and noted the ones that we wanted without asking for any advice :X Also we asked our married friends, they all gave very different responses, so wife concluded that it is all heng suay. 

Also wife's mom has a lot of ideas about how each appliance should be, so we decided to follow what she said. Her nagging power hor even wife also bth. Ended up still tio nagged again really cannot win hai. 

Fridge $999 3 ticks one from Panasonic

https://www.panasonic.com/sg/consumer/kitchen-appliance/fridges/2-door/nr-bx468xs.html

MIL said freezer should be at the bottom, because she experienced a few times the frozen stuff kong her head, very painful. Also with a bottom drawer u can see all the expired forgotten mushrooms or what not you hid at one corner. Dimensions is also just nice for the small kitchen. Comes with a rice cook that I am too lazy to collect. The salesman said the rice cooker is atas one, I have yet to seen it so cannot comment. 

WM $749 from Panasonic

this is the one we received the most comment about, some people say get top load, some people say get front load. I am for top load because my house currently uses top load and my shirts are all ok and the price is cheaper than front load. MIL insist that front load is better, easier to get clothes out to hang. Wife gave in (gave in already still not happy, next thing she hiam our WM why made in China. Wah really sia can burst)... 

https://www.panasonic.com/sg/consumer/home-appliance/washing-machines/front-load/na-148vg4.html

We bought 8kg for now thinking that we do not have loads to wash. Let's see if we would be proven wrong later. Also the door for this one appears bigger than other similar brands, so we got this. 

Wife actually saw this and fell in love with it cuz made in Japan and it looks very chio. 

https://www.panasonic.com/sg/consumer/home-appliance/washing-machines/washer-dryer/na-d106x1.html

I told her wait for me huat toto from all the Feng shui placement first. 

TV $799 from LG

We initially wanted to get from Panasonic too then the sales guy told us LG used the same panel and has the same features as the Panasonic one we were looking at. Best is that one got free... DVD blu ray player, wall mount and a better remote, the one you know like wii that kind? Also the web browser is the touted to be the best so far. Wife is very happy she can watch her Kdrama on 43". We didn't get bigger sized TV because spoil eyes la hor. 

I think is this one

http://www.lg.com/sg/tvs/lg-43UH650T

oh yes if you don't want the blu ray player, they will deduct $50

$2,547 in total :~

Bed- King Koil

We happened to go Robinsons when there was a sale, not the black friday sale where people chiong to get the free iPad pro, but one months earlier. Initially we went to Sealy, because our married friends all recommended Sealy to us. Unfortunately, we not as atas as them, our budget was about 2k. Sealy is only comfortable if you can get 3k+ range (after promo, before promo the price should be 6k+ and above). 

So we hopped over to King Koil, and wife laid on the bed for half an hour and even fell asleep. It cost us $1939 for king size bed. The sales guy was very good, he told us to put a deposit of $200 first and come back again during mega sale time AFTER signing up as a Robinson OCBC card member. He also mentioned in the event that we don't want the bed, the $200 will be converted to Robinson gift card to be used in Robinson, not totally gone lah. So wife went back on Black Friday (while I was working very hard to earn money), and paid the remainder. At that point and even until yesterday (We went shopping yesterday), the price of the bed that we picked was about 2.8k for King size. :yeah:

So we got back $82 as cash rebates from the purchase of the bed thanks to the Robinson card and $30 Charles and Keith vouchers, 10,000 capitastar$ from the in-mall promotions. 

Some tips from my wife who is still crying over lost offers. 

If you want to get from Hoe Kee, please go IMM. You know this kind of big shopping malls, they always have a lot of mall promotions? Like you spend $200, you get free this or free that. TK branch wouldn't have such thing. Also in IMM you can earn Capitaland stars! You don't laugh at my auntie wife, can save a lot of money one hor (see the Robinson example). 

Same for Harvey Norman. If possible look for sales in other places, Millenia Walk is for atas people so you need to spend a lot to get lame stuff. 

Edited by pikachuuu

Originally this post was chope for taobao shopping, but there are too many Taobao stuff piling up at my house. Unfortunately I cannot give reviews at the moment, especially for stuff like lights and sinks until I test them out at my new house. 

So just a short update on the white and wood colours we have chosen for the house! We had a si bei hard time choosing, I swore I dou ji yan (crossed eyed) after staring at the colours for so long. Wife nearly wanted to flip table. If you are not very decisive, maybe it would be best if you pick an ID. 

Natural maple is used for living room while classic oak is for the study room 

classic_maple.jpg

Porcelain is the white colour that will complement the wood colours above and also in the MBR.  

porcelain.jpg

fair lady.jpg

Vinyl floor for the 2 bedrooms

For the kitchen 

kenyan.jpg

The kenyan wood is slightly darker in reality. This is the pacnel I am talking about. Most people use Kompacplus, don't know why the chosen one picked this instead. :dunno:

ice white gloss.jpg

For the kitchen cabinets and drawers. Apparently glossy surface would make the place look bigger, zhun bo? nvm we are not expecting miracles. 

For the toilet

ice toilet.jpg

white colour solid surface top with white color cabinets. 

Wah the tiles from HDB are so ugly and we cheapo never overlay, so we had a very hard time deciding what color should the vanity cabinet be. Hope we wouldn't kill ourselves if the color is really cui. Oh the chosen one also said he would upgrade from solid surface to quartz for us for free :yeah::yeah::yeah:, but since the house is not done yet, I cannot confirm it is the case. Also I say here, doesn't mean you should go n demand for this and that hor. Is your house a showroom for him or not har har har? lol kidding lah. But seriously though, don't demand for the sky lah hor, be reasonable :)

floral.jpg

Here comes the scary part.

alberta.jpg

we picked this for the wardrobe in the MBR AND for the platform bed area. 

and we picked the below for the vinyl flooring in the MBR. REALLY SCARED IT DOESNT MATCH!!! how? I am having sleeping nights. Anyway, on a serious note if it is really like ****, we might buy a carpet and cover some parts haha. 

japanese elm.jpg

Side track

wife did this on Sketch Up - this woman sometime gey kiang, sometimes I think quite kiang la. Draw until not bad for a noob. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 11.47.42 PM.png

the console not slanted hor, is never rotate properly nia. so she did these up to show our chosen one. Also don't know why she so eng. Anyway the measurements there were advised by the FSM.

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 11.47.47 PM.png

Ok, the next update will really come in 2017, see you all then and hope all of you will have a smooth renovation and for those who are still waiting for your keys, don't argue too much ah, getting married soon liao hor. 

Edited by pikachuuu

back with another tiny update! (Jan 21 2017)

so basically work officially started on wk 2 because he needed time to order the materials and also to confirm our final final final design because the wife really pattern more than badminton. I am surprised the chosen one didn't kill us yet. now they are off for CNY, yet another (expected) delay. my neighbours already started to move in liao, oops. 

this is the living room floor. i think the workers cleaned the floor before leaving the place because wife stepped on it barefooted and it was clean :D:D:D wife was a bit not used to the floors with the + parts because her house atas - use marble one lor. #winliao #limpehnotsorich

IMG_3546.JPG

nothing much to complain about maybe just one tile not really straight, as in the + is not perfectly right angle. and also this...

IMG_3555.JPG

wah lao this one **** kiam pa. have messaged the chosen one about it already. [update as of 12 feb: this has been fixed!]

IMG_3547.JPG

kitchen... self explanatory la hor? a bit regret never overlay. a biiiiittttt uglier than expected. hopefully drawers and stuff it would look better heh. 

IMG_3548.JPG

IMG_3549.JPG

the kitchen and bathrooms floors are lower than the living rooms and bedrooms, is this normal? anyway the good point is the water would not flow out if we are washing the floors i suppose... but i got a feeling wife is going to curse and swear if she accidentally kicks on the tile...:unsure:

IMG_3550.JPG

entrance to our house! it was supposed to be a ramp but the FSM said to make some sort of "divider" macam like temple sia hahahaha

IMG_3552.JPG

finally, just want to say that the workers even washed/cleaned our dustpan for us. it was also our hint that they might have cleaned our living room floors. wife cares about little details like that as to her it shows just how much the other person cares.

IMG_3551.JPG

paiseh this update not funny, because the pictures look like that how to be funny lol. 

i will try and update on the progress,but very shy leh with the workers around. also wedding coming up,si bei busy sia.

oh yes! the workers are all from MY and SG, no workers were from you-know-where countries la. this was reassuring because their work tend to be not as nice.

ok next update would be after CNY, so have a huatful 2017 as i collect my last angbaos in my life :( 

12 Feb 2017

very tiny update :(

so the workers stopped work a week before CNY

the reason given was that everything will be dusty when they come back, so let's not do anything anyway ...

this week they are supposed to start work and so they did ...

IMG_3703.JPG

the put the sink sink inside and... that's it

oh th city gas people came and put the heater. *bor pi the water pressure is good enough*

IMG_3704.JPG

The. chosen one also told us to pick our Nippon paint color, they will paint first before fitting the carpentry.

all the fifty shades of whites made us crazy. it's hard to visualise when you don't have the items in front of you

in the end we picked four shades of whites and prayed for the best. 

wife is a little upset by the lack of progress, but we are still hoping things will go faster after we picked the color!

Edited by pikachuuu

Feb 19 -Week 1 of 3 weeks

why this title leh? Because the chosen one promised to finish in 3 weeks wor, he also asked us to pass him the remaining amount. My poor wallet, getting slimmer than my wife. 

anyway with zero expectations, we popped by our house today.. 

IMG_3781.JPG\

omg! grills for all rooms and service yard done! Btw I took photos of all the grills la, but because of the afternoon light, cannot see anything except the lines la so no point, they just look like rectangles lor nothing special. Our grills are silver colour to match the windows. Didn't opt for invisible grills because we might wanna hang our underwear show neighbours next time (kidding)! Stupiak wife thought that the invisible grills can remove when she song one. 

IMG_3789.JPG

I think this is the brand. 

then we also saw...

ALL VINYL FLOORS PIAK IN, ALL WALLS MORE OR LESS PAINTED! OMG!

IMG_3785.JPG

This is the Japanese Elm in the masterbed room. Even the sides also same color <3

IMG_3786.JPG

They also did this "bump/hump" thing. Is it normal for vinyl floors? Don't care la, i love it! 

(Edit: orhhhh i know already, the bump is to prevent the vinyl floor from sticking out one #jismartyisia)

IMG_3787.JPG

This is the brand of the vinyl floor. This is the My fair lady in the study and spare bedroom.IMG_3793.JPG

Overview of the MBR. Walls I think they only painted once, not complete yet. 

Wall color is cloud formation. Personally I feel it is a bit dark, but wife insisted. Have to listen la, else later really dark clouds form above her head I dai. 

IMG_3783.JPG

Study room. I think the wall is some lilac white or something. Looks much brighter in reality.. Makes me feel like working for 12 hours sia! 

Finally my favourite room... 

IMG_3795.JPG

Tada! the spare room. Wall color is pink cloud. Because of how pinkish it is, it made the floor looked different from the study room one even though it is the same floor. Kept on giving my wife "THE EYE" when i compare this room to our MBR. She told me i could either

a) paint the MBR this color now or

b) next time we paint together

I decided to go for (b) keep the painting for our future lomantic date yo. 

Also want to say that the workers/chosen one also got a bit of artistic eye sia. The skirting for the two rooms are white instead of following the vinyl floor color like in the MBR. Got a nice contrast. Didn't think this would work in the MBR. :paint:

IMG_3788.JPG

A v cui pano thanks to the bright light from the window. 

Ok that's all for now! 

Hopefully we can share the carpentry in our next update :D 

IMG_3790.JPG

Edited by pikachuuu

26 feb - "week 2 of 3"

before going down, the chosen one told me, the electrical wiring pull already, left shelves to do so with loads of expectations we went to our new house. wife's parents even came down to see the carpentry because they want to ask him to renovate their kitchen too. 

in in the end

IMG_3867.JPG

IMG_3865.JPG

really just pull the wire sia, i thought he meant shelves like those closet not done, but maybeh the tv console done. :bangwall:

is just wire la hor don't need show much pictures.

hopefully we have more to show this week which is by right the third week. but my cheque bounced cuz i goondu forgot to put money in my bank, so don't know got delay not :wacko:

let's wait! 

March 4: week 3 of week 3

as expected nothing was done but the Chosen one went to wife's house to see the kitchen that her mom wanted to demolish. He told me that the carpentry needed a bit more time so they should be done next week. =( 

Edited by pikachuuu

give up counting the weeks already.

carpentry stuff were delievered on 11 March as promised and work started on Monday. 

so we went down 19 March and got our eyes stung :~

do you guys feel that when you look at your newly delivered carpentry work? Pain dao~~~~~ need to open the doors and windows to air the invisible fumes lol.

once our eyes are back to normal for a bit, we saw this in full clarity :wub:

IMG_4190.JPG

IMG_4171.JPG

this one copy people's idea to leave a "hole" at the bottom to put our regularly worn shoes/slippers

initially we didn't have the second cupboard, but the chosen one said it would be nice to have a flushed view from the shoe rack to console. also with more material used he can charge us the "wholesale" price of the materials so technically it is more cost-effective (**** i m sounding like my wife)

IMG_4170.JPG

i say first the photos not straight cuz iphone don't have very wide angle la, also the house is tmd small you all know la, some photos i take until i cross eyed ok.

IMG_4172.JPG

kitchen is almost done except for the top. wah think of this i also angry. so the chosen one picked pacnel instead of kompacplus which is supposedly the same.

he ordered and asked the company to reserved.

:fire:THE COMPANY DIDNT and even said they are not bringing in anymore. out of stock also never say. Omg really should slap. what business ethics. so now we have to wait for other company to deliver either jennings/kompacplus. uncle die die don't want kompacplus duno why.

IMG_4174.JPG

the middle space (with the red box there), very obvious la, put the fridge one. am also thinking of a steam oven for the slot there, is steam oven good? 

IMG_4173.JPG

the racks below the stove area.

study room 

very simple, one table one top shelf

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4175.JPG

tried to to take the whole thing together, fail leh. i became pa jiao instead.

toilet

IMG_4178.JPG

how the vanity looks like heng ah the color didn't clash with the ugly floor.

IMG_4180.JPG

the door in the centre like one of the t-blog owner did.

toilet is really the ugliest part of the entire house. hai 

MBR

platform bed was done wrongly, as you can see, it looks more like bed frame than platform since it didn't link to the other side of the wall. so they are going to redo 

IMG_4183.JPG

picture is to show that all these stuff can open and hide my gold ingots one. centre one also can open, just that i put my gold bars inside liao so paiseh to show.

IMG_4188.JPG

just kidding, here it is!

IMG_4184.JPG

closet with the pull out mirror 

IMG_4185.JPG

the other side. 

wife is going to take up 75% of the whole space i m sure. 

but is ok! that's why i have platform storage area! 

not  sure what my next update is going to be...

IMG_4181.JPG

update: 25 march

lights up! platform bed fixed! doors up! vanity tables in toilet done! why no pictures? cuz door man was putting the doors up so i didn't want to interrupt, the end is near~~~ omg omg

Edited by pikachuuu

3 hours ago, slashmylove said:

lol.. looking forward to see how your house comes together! congrats ah!

btw the budget for reno & furniture/appliances etc very achievable!

Fellow neighbour! hope everything is good for u :D

58 minutes ago, d3n said:

looking forward to your posts.

thank you :D