Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mrenotalk

Post-Construction pest treatment before moving in

Hello friends

I know there is a thread relating to this topic but a few years old. I am posting this question in the hope of seeking more updated advice and opinions from folks here.

My house is 95% done with the rebuilding. Currently, kitchen cabinets are almost done, while wardrobes are roughly halfway completed.

Before construction started, termite treatment was carried out. And over the last year or so, weekly fumigations were also carried out onsite, until abt 2 weeks ago when the last fumigation took place.

I want to engage pest control services to do preventive treatment of any pests that might be in the house eg booklice, ants, cockroaches, bed bugs or any other common bugs. They could have been brought in during the construction months unwittingly by workers or via equipment/materials brought onsite.  I just want peace of mind before moving in (ie. I am being kiasu/kiasi). I am fully aware that any treatment can only tackle bugs which are present now in the house, but does not mean such bugs will never surface again.

I understand that fumigation/fogging may stain walls/floors (mine is marble) as it leaves behind an oily residue. Misting is the other alternative, but being water-based, I was given the impression that the spaces above false ceilings may house wirings and misting should not be used there.

Do you have recent experiences to share/advise me? What do you recommend that I do? And any reliable service provider you have used?

Many thanks in advance for sharing!

cheers

Edited by mrenotalk

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Pest treatment is a general term. Different type of pest will require different treatment. 

1) Termite treatment is for the prevention of termite . This is done through injecting chemicals into the ground where termites live.

2) The weekly fumigation done during construction is for mosquito prevention. The fumigation is usually a white fume to kill/prevent mosquito larve.

3) The bugs you mentioned  "eg booklice, ants, cockroaches, bed bugs or any other common bugs:" are different types of bugs which will require different treatment. I don't think there is a "standard" treatment. These are the easy "pest", there will be lizards, snakes, millipede, etc. who will visit you occasionally.

In my personal opinion, I don't think it will be effective to do any further pest treatment. Just use common sense like keeping your house clean and dry. You will encounter living things if you live on a landed property as you are the new neighbor!