Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Oppsgal

New Bed

so..without this "An Chuan" step, still OK right ? :X

depends on individual lah....all these are chinese customs pass down for thousands of years.

if want to follow everything die man....buy clothes also MUST pick auspicious date, go to barber also must pick date....etc :sport-smiley-004:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

its not about if u r a chinese or not ... its about if u r a Buddhist or Taoist ...

If u r a Buddhist, u can ignore all those stuffs ... taoist wise better consult taoist clerics. Chinese Christians dun practise such ... Chinese Buddhists do not practise either ... so using the term CHINESE is very misguiding itself =)

go according with yr faith .. get it Right once and forever done ..

freethinker ? haha ...

If one can think free, is there still a need to rely on fengshui ? cannot expect a freethinker to start taking incense and pray in the house right ?

well, of cos u can say freethinkers are free to think, free to believe in anything .. it depends which point are you coming from ...

Freethinkers should have the faith in oneself not external powers from fengshui, God or Buddha .. as of whether a freethinker wanna practise fengshui or not , its all up to the indiviual.

Cheerios ..

Homage to Lord Buddha !

freethinker ? haha ...

If one can think free, is there still a need to rely on fengshui ? cannot expect a freethinker to start taking incense and pray in the house right ?

well, of cos u can say freethinkers are free to think, free to believe in anything .. it depends which point are you coming from ...

Freethinkers should have the faith in oneself not external powers from fengshui, God or Buddha .. as of whether a freethinker wanna practise fengshui or not , its all up to the indiviual.

Cheerios ..

Homage to Lord Buddha !

Have faith in oneself = freethinker? Thought is christain/cathalic?

Freethinker means don't have a fix religion. Well... Thought fengshui means using surrounding to benefit oneself. Eg remove mirror from sight at night when zzz so won't scare ownself. Hmm...

Have faith in oneself = freethinker? Thought is christain/cathalic?

Freethinker means don't have a fix religion. Well... Thought fengshui means using surrounding to benefit oneself. Eg remove mirror from sight at night when zzz so won't scare ownself. Hmm...

Christian n Catholic teaches u to have Faith n trust in God.

Buddhists teaches you to have Faith & Confidence in the Buddha and also have faith in yrself to practise the teachings of the Buddha.

Taoist . i not sure

Freethinker means Believe in everything ????? that will be "multiism" .. so as u say, remove mirror from sight at night so wun scare yrself ...<-- this one is common sense not fengshui. =)

So if i tell u put a stone and some fengshui oraments in certain part of yr house at certian time .. u can dun need to work then also got money ??

hehe ... no matter what ... it's all own effort ! !

"No one saves but you yourself, Buddhas merely show the way" - The Buddha

FS = 33.3% luck, heaven = 33.3% luck, man = 33.3% luck

So even if house got good fs, also depend on individual luck & heaven luck.

FS = 33.3% luck, heaven = 33.3% luck, man = 33.3% luck

So even if house got good fs, also depend on individual luck & heaven luck.

paying to believe in something that will only help u 33.3 ?

hehe ... Heaven plus man = 66.6 which is more than enuff for a successful life.

In Buddhist's view, 100 percent depends of our own's effort, its all about skillfulness, wisdom, understanding and effort that leads one to success. The greatest magic is ourselves.

paying to believe in something that will only help u 33.3 ?

hehe ... Heaven plus man = 66.6 which is more than enuff for a successful life.

In Buddhist's view, 100 percent depends of our own's effort, its all about skillfulness, wisdom, understanding and effort that leads one to success. The greatest magic is ourselves.

Sorry, side-track a bit...how to know if one's buddhist or toaist? I go to temple to pray and mostly i pray to guan yin...so does that make me a buddhist or a taoist??

I'm not a very religious person but when i feel the need to, i go and pray for a peace of mind. Does the term buddhist or taoist only applicable to serious worshippers?

Thanks in advance for clarifying my doubts! :seeya:

Air,

Guan Yin Pusa (Avalokitesvra Boddhisattva) is a Buddhist figure which the Buddha introduced to the world. The 25th Chapter of Universal Door of the Lotus Sutra is dedicated to Guan Yin who made 12 vows to respond to worldy prayers.

Even though, Guan Yin as a Buddhist icon, it is very often to see taoist praying to this icon in taoist temples, as well as the worser ones falls into a trance claiming to be Guan Yin, resulting in medium consultations, talisman, restrictions on the posture of Guan Yin statues at home etc etc etc ..

If you have a special affinty with Guan Yin, you should honour this Boddhisattva (Pusa) in the correct tradition, which is the BUddhist way since he belongs to the Buddhist Faith.

How to define if u r a Buddhist externally on thr basic?

1. Buddhists do not pray to Tian Gong, Tudi Gong and deities

2. Buddhists do not burn josspapers

3. Buddhists are not encouraged to mix taoist practises n beleifs into Buddhism.

4. Buddhists do not have special restrictions on placement of altars and buddha statues.

5. Buddhists do not require fengshui or date/ time consultations for the altar.

6. Buddhists need not practise chinese-taoist-fengshui customaries

To be a true buddhist, even not a religious one, you should at least bear faith in the Buddha and Boddhisattvas, honour and respect them with the most sincere heart. Try to understand the Buddha's advise and abide to it in setting a family n living daily with people ard us.

There is no "serious" Buddhists ... u r a buddhist, then u r one .. it;s just defining yr faith and knowing yr own faith. U need not participate in temple events every sunday to call yrself a Buddhist. So afterall, u got to work it out ..

Anymore questions ... welcomed !

Edited by enci

Air,

Guan Yin Pusa (Avalokitesvra Boddhisattva) is a Buddhist figure which the Buddha introduced to the world. The 25th Chapter of Universal Door of the Lotus Sutra is dedicated to Guan Yin who made 12 vows to respond to worldy prayers.

Even though, Guan Yin as a Buddhist icon, it is very often to see taoist praying to this icon in taoist temples, as well as the worser ones falls into a trance claiming to be Guan Yin, resulting in medium consultations, talisman, restrictions on the posture of Guan Yin statues at home etc etc etc ..

If you have a special affinty with Guan Yin, you should honour this Boddhisattva (Pusa) in the correct tradition, which is the BUddhist way since he belongs to the Buddhist Faith.

How to define if u r a Buddhist externally on thr basic?

1. Buddhists do not pray to Tian Gong, Tudi Gong and deities

2. Buddhists do not burn josspapers

3. Buddhists are not encouraged to mix taoist practises n beleifs into Buddhism.

4. Buddhists do not have special restrictions on placement of altars and buddha statues.

5. Buddhists do not require fengshui or date/ time consultations for the altar.

6. Buddhists need not practise chinese-taoist-fengshui customaries

To be a true buddhist, even not a religious one, you should at least bear faith in the Buddha and Boddhisattvas, honour and respect them with the most sincere heart. Try to understand the Buddha's advise and abide to it in setting a family n living daily with people ard us.

There is no "serious" Buddhists ... u r a buddhist, then u r one .. it;s just defining yr faith and knowing yr own faith. U need not participate in temple events every sunday to call yrself a Buddhist. So afterall, u got to work it out ..

Anymore questions ... welcomed !

Hi enci, many thanks for your explanation!! Just curious....everytime I go to the Bugis guan yin temple to pray, I always see ppl taking joss sticks to first pray to facing outside the temple then pray to guan yin inside. May I know what is the purpose of praying facing outside the temple? I've always thought that that is praying to tian gong and a standard procedure so I followed suit. From your explanation however, buddhists do not pray to tian gong. :seeya:

Hi enci, many thanks for your explanation!! Just curious....everytime I go to the Bugis guan yin temple to pray, I always see ppl taking joss sticks to first pray to facing outside the temple then pray to guan yin inside. May I know what is the purpose of praying facing outside the temple? I've always thought that that is praying to tian gong and a standard procedure so I followed suit. From your explanation however, buddhists do not pray to tian gong. :bleah:

hihi ... the sight is becos of many mentality such as " I see you light incense and pray heaven (tian gong) , I also follow" , as a result, everyone follows the way.

Such people who innocently lights incense to pray to tian gong are not evil people but only not aware of the practise and traditions of Buddhism. Nobody can be blamed.

This is why, we should correct our wrong cocepts and wrong ways and start worshipping the corect way as well as start learning and understanding Buddhism, afterall its yr own faith :)!

=)

Hi enci, many thanks for your explanation!! Just curious....everytime I go to the Bugis guan yin temple to pray, I always see ppl taking joss sticks to first pray to facing outside the temple then pray to guan yin inside. May I know what is the purpose of praying facing outside the temple? I've always thought that that is praying to tian gong and a standard procedure so I followed suit. From your explanation however, buddhists do not pray to tian gong. :)

Hi Air,

It's a chinese practice to pray to tian gong before praying at the main shrine. So what you see at the temple in Bugis is not a wrong practice since it's a chinese temple. However praying to tian gong is not a necessary practice for a buddhist.

In an earlier post, you were asking how to know if one is a buddhist or taoist. I think that is an important question.

I think to call oneself a follower of a particular religion, whether a serious worshipper or not (by this I think you were refering to those who go to prayers more often?), that person should at least know the background of founder of that particular religion he or she is in; and to agree to the cause.

Since Guan Yin is mentioned by Lord Sakyamuni Buddha, therefore I think a buddhist should know Lord Sakyamuni Buddha's background. What motivated the young prince to give up his luxurious lifestyle to search for the meaning of life? What is the message of Lord Sakyamuni Buddha? Do you believe that what Lord Sakyamuni Buddha had discovered can benefit you?

If your answers to all of the above are yes, congratulations, you are indeed a buddhist with understanding.

But if your answers are not, I think you are still considered as a buddhist, for the fact that you have an affinity with Guan Yin.

Guan Yin's full title is Guan Shi Yin Pu Sa (Sanskrit: Avalokitesvra Boddhisattva), which means He who perceive the sound (prayers) of the world. Guan Yin is one of the best example of one of Lord Sakyamuni Buddha's values --- Compassion. As mentioned in Chapter 25 of the Lotus Sutra, Guan Yin will take various forms that will have the best affinity to the person who needs help. This shows not only a compassionate heart but also skillful means to reach out to different people.

I assume you pray to Guan Yin when you feel the need and it calms you. That is good and it further shows the affinity you have with Guan Yin.

From a buddhist's perspective, Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are unlike deities, They don't need the offerings to live. For a buddhist, offering of light represents wisdom overcoming delusion; incense represents virtues; water represents clarity and reflections, etc. The physical offerings are suppose to symbolise various values that a buddhist should try to practice. So if you are to have a shrine honouring Guan Yin, whether or not to pray with these items are really optional. Because when a buddhist prostrate in front of a statue of Buddha or Bodhisattva, it is an admiration and gesture of willingness to understake the buddhist values rather than simply hope that they will be blessed when they do nothing on their part.

The best way of honouring Guan Yin is to learn to be more compassionate. Of course you and I are imperfect, but fret not, we always try our best. At least, be more considerate to your spouse; and extend this consideration to your parents; your in-laws; family; friends; colleagues, etc. This is akin to Guan Yin 'in various forms'. I'm sure you will notice that people around you have different temperament, some are more easy-going, whereas some are more difficult to deal with. So you will gradually developed your skillful means and this experience may in turn groom your self-confidence in meeting different people in different settings.

This is how Buddhas and Bodhisattvas blessed us, that is by living their values.

Buddhism is definitely more than burning incense, offering flowers, praying to relics, etc. It is a lifestyle, a lifestyle of keeping our desires in check and living a life with fullfillment and purpose.

Apologies for the long post but do feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss more. I will look forward to it. =)

Edited by M.G.

Hi Air,

First of all, enci does not represent or speak on behalf of all Buddhist on planet earth, that’s his definition.

There is nothing wrong to pray to Tudi Gong if your house do have one, however having said that, does that mean you throw away your Tudi Gong when you become Buddhist or after you Gu Yi, the answer is no, Tudi Gong can still be worshipped but placed at a lower level than Buddha 佛 or Bodhisattva 菩薩 at your altar.

With regards to altar, be mindful where you placed them, it does however affect the Buddha statue If you have to choose an auspicious date to place your altar, go ahead and do it, it is not consider as degrading, disrespect or sign of no faith in you, Buddha or Bodhisattva will not mind.

And more importantly, it is highly advisable to 開光 all Buddha 佛 or Bodhisattva 菩薩 statue.

Don’t constrain yourself, at the end of the day when you reach the western paradise you will realize that Buddhist or Taoist are all the same.

The basic rule have to be observed, but what is more important is, have you done your homework, that is 修行, 守五戒, 拜懺, 懺悔, 佈施, 诵經, 行善

師尊更開示說:要珍惜佛所說「人身難得、中土難生、僧人難遇」的福份,懂得如何修行慢慢的消除習性,業就沒有了,業斷除就沒有輪迴的道路,佛說:「一切眾生如大地土,能得人身如掌上抓起的土,能修行者如按掌黏在掌上的土。」人生最重要是知法、修法、證法、明法、悟法而得到究竟的正覺。

http://www.tbsn.org/chinese2/news.php?id=1237&classid=1

You have to note one thing embracing Fengshui is totally alright, you are not penalize over it nor are you committing a serious sin, the focus is you have to feel comfortable and peace of mind when you pray or chant in the house.

If you have to worship other deity, make sure you know who you are praying to, it background & etc, not sure ask, don’t just follow the crowd.