Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
km_foo

Renovation Contractors, Not Id

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hello all, I posted here a couple of while back and would like to share my experience through the thread as I bumped into alot of troubles during ID selection. I called several of the numbers listed in threads around renotalk and was utterly disappointed at their service. yes some did admit that they self-advertised after meeting them but none... ZERO of them got back to me after coming to my new house to quote me. must be their business so good from finding people online that mine is too small for them huh. hubby and me went to IMM and a few other shops but also met with badluck since they only want to stay in their office and look at the floorplan to quote me.. they were big companies by the way. with one boasting 50 staffs another boasting 100 plus..made me feel really bad about myself like do i look too young or do i look poor. my hubby and i decided to hunt for contractors.. maybe we suay or i am hard to deal with hehh. so in my contractor hunting stage we found alot of malaysian contractors who could not provide good suggestion and just want things their way.. or will be singaporean contractor that honestly we did not find trusty and skyhigh price with one even hitting ID price. it was quite a huge sum of money to us as we are a new and young family but honestly we went to about 20 plus people. we did feel bad as we wanted to only go to 4 in order not to waste too much time. all in all we wasted about a months time taking leaves and meeting with subpar contractors and ids.

so in between this hooha we found an uncle and his son at our neighbors unit while we went to think about our house idea.. we managed to get him to quote us too and they were very steady to do so.. so his son came over and advise us telling us their he can give design idea but his dad is the technical man.. i thought to myself exactly what we are looking for. luckily they call themself contractor and give contractor rate. after awhile also i realize i saved his number from a thread who was recommending them but didnt get to call him. look like answer was in my phone all the while. he provided me with his quotation 4 days later and the price was quite competitive. what was funny was that that night i came onto renotalk again and checked my mail and realize he was also recommended by ANOTHER thread member who was renovating a mansionette. i went to talk a look at the thread and i decided not to to waste time liao. my hubby also agreed and the next day we sign the quotation alr.

so far we are looking at handover end of this month and hopefully can move in before 7th month ghost festival. so far the renovation process is very fast and run by the uncle himself. workmanship wise no complains also. did hit a few roadblocks here and there but manage to work our way around it. uncle told me most of his job is people refer one so i want to help him since he really advise me alot during this process. i am a very jumpy and insecure person also like to ask alot. so my advice to your forumners is to really not waste your time with self promoters here and find contractors who are really on the ground either renovating or meeting clients. i am happy with the uncle so far if you all need contact pm me. mine is a 4room bto flat bare unit by the way. hack wall painting and cabinets and flooring total damage 40k.

i know the son got come renotalk and read sometime so thank you to you both and good job so far! cannot wait to move in!

I have a contractor friend who has done up my place for me before. He is a contractor, NOT INTERIOR DESIGNER! He does furniture, lighting, basically all in one. He has asked me to do a post for him as he's not very internet savvy. Ppl looking to do renovation can PM your details directly to me, and I will hook you up directly to him. I can't post his details here in the open, hope you understand!

Hi

For those out there considering the contractors route (like me once), I can recommend my contractor to you. I just completed (almost) my reno with him, He is indeed a nice guy... fair, honest and reliable. He was an ID once, but then switched to doing reno. So can get design ideas from him w/o additional charge :) Never had much issues with his workers' quality of work. He is experienced and gives pretty good advice. Be warn though, he is not the cheapest neither is he the most ex. His workers are also indeed experienced with one of them even having a reno project in a house at Sentosa Cove! Hence the cost, maybe. Having said that, I know he does a number of BTO reno projects so I guess his costs are not that prohibitive.

I also engaged a carpenter to do my kitchen. He's a pro with his own workshop and men. Though initially I thought he would cost a lot more than my existing contractor (after viewing his pro showroom), his came in at a slightly cheaper rate. Hence he was engaged to do my carpentry work. Loved his fully rendered drawings as well. Even though there were mistakes made, he accepted the responsibilities and made good of everything. He does house reno as well after talking to him. His clients are mainly landed properties type from the various computer illustrations which he showed me. Need to chat with him to find out more.

Even though my main con did not get do earn from carpentry, he was professional even to give me advice on what to do which we were appreciative of. He made sure his work complements the work of the carpenter. As both parties were experienced, the whole reno went rather smoothly (Of course it is best to do everything with one contractor). Moreover, my kitchen counter top and doors went to other vendors! Despite of these, my main con still served me well. Of course, there were other things we did which was not the main contracting norm, he still decided to take up my house reno. It was an interesting journey for both parties.

We never had any problems as described by other forummers i.e. bad workmanship, MIA contractors, money issues etc. In fact, I chase to pay them sometimes because they never seem to ask for money for the work done! Even though there were blemishes in their work, both of them will make good effort to correct all mistakes to the best of their abilities which we appreciate. Seriously, I don't mind engaging either of them again. But you pay what you get I suppose.

Do pm me if you wish to know more.

Cheers

Hi, can email me his contact @ sri_adan@hotmail.com?

Thank you!

Hi

For those out there considering the contractors route (like me once), I can recommend my contractor to you. I just completed (almost) my reno with him, He is indeed a nice guy... fair, honest and reliable. He was an ID once, but then switched to doing reno. So can get design ideas from him w/o additional charge :) Never had much issues with his workers' quality of work. He is experienced and gives pretty good advice. Be warn though, he is not the cheapest neither is he the most ex. His workers are also indeed experienced with one of them even having a reno project in a house at Sentosa Cove! Hence the cost, maybe. Having said that, I know he does a number of BTO reno projects so I guess his costs are not that prohibitive.

I also engaged a carpenter to do my kitchen. He's a pro with his own workshop and men. Though initially I thought he would cost a lot more than my existing contractor (after viewing his pro showroom), his came in at a slightly cheaper rate. Hence he was engaged to do my carpentry work. Loved his fully rendered drawings as well. Even though there were mistakes made, he accepted the responsibilities and made good of everything. He does house reno as well after talking to him. His clients are mainly landed properties type from the various computer illustrations which he showed me. Need to chat with him to find out more.

Even though my main con did not get do earn from carpentry, he was professional even to give me advice on what to do which we were appreciative of. He made sure his work complements the work of the carpenter. As both parties were experienced, the whole reno went rather smoothly (Of course it is best to do everything with one contractor). Moreover, my kitchen counter top and doors went to other vendors! Despite of these, my main con still served me well. Of course, there were other things we did which was not the main contracting norm, he still decided to take up my house reno. It was an interesting journey for both parties.

We never had any problems as described by other forummers i.e. bad workmanship, MIA contractors, money issues etc. In fact, I chase to pay them sometimes because they never seem to ask for money for the work done! Even though there were blemishes in their work, both of them will make good effort to correct all mistakes to the best of their abilities which we appreciate. Seriously, I don't mind engaging either of them again. But you pay what you get I suppose.

Do pm me if you wish to know more.

Cheers

@TITW can you PM me both the contacts, main con and carpentry? Any photos to share? TIA

Sharing my experience. I engaged a contractor too, after sourcing through many IDs. Contractor cheaper than IDs for same work done. Reno has started, hope it completes well too. So far so good. Good workmanship and very responsive. Got pics in my t-blog. pm me if you want his contact number.

@colloncream can you PM me his contact? TIA