Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
prodriver6

My rebuild journey, thus far...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
3 hours ago, prodriver6 said:

i will pm u the floor plan

have you talked to your architect on the mezzanine? the problem i see could be how your architect can design the staircase which is wrapping around the lift shaft. BCA has standard specifications for staircase thread width and riser height. your 2.7m floor to floor height will give a min of 16 steps or max of 17 steps. so if the architect can add the 16 steps plus 2 landings within the 2.7m, then your mezzanine could be doable. however as mentioned earlier, you are working with very fine margins with 2.7m floor to floor heights. so your PE would need to be very creative in the beams design to maximise the ceiling height

also remember that if you need to have toilets on the mezzanine and attic floors, you will need to have waste pipes for the toilets. unless your architect is going to design all the toilets in one stack (ie: one above another), you are likely to have waste pipes running across the ceilings and below the beams. so you will need to think of how these waste pipes can be hidden inside the ceilings or using box-ups at the corners. waste pipes for floor traps will need about 400mm of space below the floor slab so it's not going to be easy to hide them if you don't have enough margin to work with.

Edited by snoozee

4 minutes ago, prodriver6 said:

yes, my mezzanine floor will be entirely glassed up, so i shouldnt have a claustrophobic feeling and it will look down to the dbl vol living rm.

entirely glassed up means your cost will increase. you need to use structural glass which can act as a barrier and these will not be cheap

as mentioned, you are working with fine margins. so in order to avoid false ceilings, etc, the M&E part must be designed very well such that pipes can hug the walls and corners. also if you do not want exposed electrical trunkings, all the lighting points must be planned before hand such that the conduits are cast within the floor slabs.
designing a house is not just about the architectural component but also all the other services (sewer, water, electrical, networking, aircon) as well as these other services can mess up with the overall house interior if they not designed properly. when you are trying to squeeze in as much GFA within the storeys, you need to find creative methods to run the services and hide them.

tks for the advice @snoozee

i can sense my architect it trying to talk me out of it as he feels the compression in floor level is not worth the extra space - he seems to value this a lot, which i kinda tend to agree

1 hour ago, prodriver6 said:

tks for the advice @snoozee

i can sense my architect it trying to talk me out of it as he feels the compression in floor level is not worth the extra space - he seems to value this a lot, which i kinda tend to agree

haha. maybe your architect don't want to do extra work by amending the drawings to insert in the mezzanine floor?

I think you need to ask yourself again on why you need/want the mezzanine floor? is it a need or a want? if you need the additional space, then the other option is to insert the mezzanine between the 1st and 2nd storey which will make things much easier

hi guys,

is anyone familiar with getting the house future ready for "EV"?

keen to know if there is a way for me to install those "Fast Charge" system rather than standard charging speed? what do i need to design for to cater for fast charge?

8 minutes ago, prodriver6 said:

hi guys,

is anyone familiar with getting the house future ready for "EV"?

keen to know if there is a way for me to install those "Fast Charge" system rather than standard charging speed? what do i need to design for to cater for fast charge?

Just cater for a 32A isolator at your car porch area. EV chargers can run from 8A to 32A. So bigger amp will allow for faster charging. If no 32A but has 13A socket, also can use for EV charging but just slower.

you can check for specs of EV chargers from schneider or BMW.  

If you want really fast charging, you will need to put in 2 types of chargers, Type 2 AC and CHAdeMO standard DC chargers. 

Not sure if this setup is allowed for landed housing or not though. 

for DC fast charging, you need to use a lot of amps. So it would be better for you to upgrade to 3 phase 100A now. A 100Kw fast charging system will pull almost 50A already. 

im not an EV expert but read that DC fast charging will cost more than normal AC charging and also reduce the lifespan of the batteries if done too often

• Like 1

hi all,

my architect was hoping to submit a Lodgement for my unit as it will be cheaper and faster.

however, will require an additional lift protrusion to cater for the lift Overrun since our attic floor is not that high...

https://www.ura.gov.sg/Corporate/Property/Residential/Renovating-private-residential-property/landed-housing-e-advisor/terrace-houses/interior3/LiftShaft3

is anyone familiar if we can still perform a lodgment?

Suggest you don’t do lodgement since you need waiver for your lift protrusion beyond the permissible envelope. The worst thing that could happen is that there are irregularities after your house is completed and can’t get TOP because URA didn’t go through and approve the plans because a lodgement is done.