Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
h4happy

Granite

I still like homo, cos uniform. Granite is natural stone, so joining lines may not match.

I have been searching high and low for a good granite (with less black spot and more white), mission impossible!:lol:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Recently talked to my neighbours about granite.

She went to one of the showflats and was told how the tilers lay.

"Apply a layer of wax, lay, polish the line, wash, and apply something (secret) on the granite again, So that water will not be suck up to the granite."

My neighbours shot back at the contractors, if water split, immediate wipe it off lah!

You mean everyday so careless mey!

So, asked around and came back this answer, granite dont need to be wax again. Those need to wax are maybe resale falt, maybe need to wax to make it clear again.

New granite actually dont need. If wax again, it will make the floor sticky and artificial. Overtime, the wax will wear off and when light shine on it, you will be able to see patches.

Heard this, he claim he is the only one in spore that can wipe off the stain in the granite. Provided he/she let him renovate the house.

My question is:

Can I actually use some chemical to wipe off the stain from the granite???

Is there should a chemical??

I think cleaning the granite is not that simple... especially when they are blur.... my previous house... the contractor spent >1K to get some professional to clean it...

based on my experience with marble (my parent's place) and my granite solid kitchen top, i realised that they are not easy to maintain. :yamseng: No doubt that they are one of the hardest material but if you dun take good care of them, it will be a waste. eg fruit juice, oil , curry are harmful to these stone, they will absorb them and a stain will be there for a very long time. Waxing / Polishing them is one of the way to maintain them, prevent water etc from being absorbed and maintain their nature shine but are we that hard working to do it frequently !! my parent used to get contractor to polish the marble flooring once every couple of years but now they dun do it anymore :notti:

Heard this, he claim he is the only one in spore that can wipe off the stain in the granite. Provided he/she let him renovate the house.

My question is:

Can I actually use some chemical to wipe off the stain from the granite???

Is there should a chemical??

Granite do not need polishing nor waxing no matter new or old. The lust if well maintain last very long time. Reason for your neighbour's using wax is to patch minor chip so that it give the shine when handing over. There is no special chemical require for granite cleaning even when stain penatrate into it. But there is a skill with some cheap solution to clean it back to original. Take not that most acidic chemical will damage the surface of granite as the nature stone react to acid. PM me if you need to know.

Edited by bullet

Reason for your neighbour's using wax is to patch minor chip so that it give the shine when handing over. There is no special chemical require for granite cleaning even when stain penatrate into it. But there is a skill with some cheap solution to clean it back to original.

Good morning BUL

1) Using wax is to patch minor chip.....(Means the tiles are not good? Or in grade B or C? Or is ex-stock??, that's why need to wax to patch minor chip?? Am I right to say that?)

2) ....cheap solution....(So means what my neighbours told me is true, I mean the contractor actually has the ability to wipe out the stain? What solution they use to clean/wipe out the stain from the granite??, the contractor said he is the only 1 in spore that is able to do it.)

Thanks!:yamseng:

HAPPY

hi all the granite-experts out there,

I have a big problem wif my granite flooring recently and have been very upset over it for the past few days. I am having granite flooring for my living/dining room. Currently in the process of reno. Granite flooring is from the ex-owner. Flooring is ok until recently workers came and do some carpentry. The next day i discovered a big patch of dark stain at one corner. I ask the ID why suddenly there is a patch of stain. The ID told me that the patch of stain is actually water marks!! He don't know what exactly happened that causes the water marks. It could be the workers accidentally spill some water. Its quite obvious and ugly as my flooring is of light colors and suddenly at one corner there is this dark patch of stain! He told me that the water marks will get faded after 2-3 months when the water dries up. Ask me to monitor for 2-3 months. If after 2-3 months the water marks don't fade, go and look for him and he will do something about it. Do something about it? What can he do? There's no way that he hack the tiles away for the small area and replace with new tiles. My reno will complete in another few days time. What happen if after 2-3 months, I went to approach him, and he deny? What can I do now to clear the marks?? Should I ask him to compensate me now just in case after 2-3 months later he refused to rectify the problem for me?

Can anyone out there advise how to really clear away the patch of water marks? :):help:

Hi RAL

Dark patches (some sort of liek a water marks) (at the 4 sides of the granite tiles)??

That is what I want to know also.

How he (contractor) can actually remove the stain.

Maybe you can ask your contractor (asap) since he told you that he will do something about it. What will he really do? Can he do it now?

i went to a cleaning shop in alexandra village and happen to overheard a person asking about marble flooring

the shop guy said that they have some special equipment to 'suck' up the stain from the stones as the stones are porous

as long as the stains are from the top of the stone no problem

but if the stains are coming from the bottom of the stone e.g. leaking pipes below then 'suck' liao the stain will still come back

i went to a cleaning shop in alexandra village and happen to overheard a person asking about marble flooring

the shop guy said that they have some special equipment to 'suck' up the stain from the stones as the stones are porous

as long as the stains are from the top of the stone no problem

but if the stains are coming from the bottom of the stone e.g. leaking pipes below then 'suck' liao the stain will still come back

thanks for your info.

Is it the same as marble that can suck up the stain?

Means they need a kind of equipment to do it?

Or just buy some lotion and rub rub rub rub until it is clear again?

Hi ALL

Anyone ever lay granite tiles on the kitchen floor?

I mean not shiny surface, on rough surface???

Is it advisable?

Please advise.

Best regards.

HAPPY

Flooring is ok until recently workers came and do some carpentry. The next day i discovered a big patch of dark stain at one corner. I ask the ID why suddenly there is a patch of stain. The ID told me that the patch of stain is actually water marks!! He don't know what exactly happened that causes the water marks. It could be the workers accidentally spill some water. Its quite obvious and ugly as my flooring is of light colors and suddenly at one corner there is this dark patch of stain! He told me that the water marks will get faded after 2-3 months when the water dries up. Ask me to monitor for 2-3 months. If after 2-3 months the water marks don't fade, go and look for him and he will do something about it. Do something about it?

Oh... I faced the same problem for my previous house .... during the carpentry work... they bought a machine that leak OIL.... and the oil went into the granite... there is no way that the oil will be dry up... I stayed there for 8 years and the patch of stain stay there as well... but luckily it was in my son's room...

Even with the professional cleaning up the blur floor for me... they couldn't get rid of the patch of stain...

Oh... I faced the same problem for my previous house .... during the carpentry work... they bought a machine that leak OIL.... and the oil went into the granite... there is no way that the oil will be dry up... I stayed there for 8 years and the patch of stain stay there as well... but luckily it was in my son's room...

Even with the professional cleaning up the blur floor for me... they couldn't get rid of the patch of stain...

Oh, OIL??? if its oil, then jiak lat liao!! oil stain sure cannnot be removed!! oh dear, then what should I do?? there's no way that he hack that small area and replaced with new tiles!! what shld i do now? don't pay him the balance money till he rectify the problem for me? can or not?

Oh, OIL??? if its oil, then jiak lat liao!! oil stain sure cannnot be removed!! oh dear, then what should I do?? there's no way that he hack that small area and replaced with new tiles!! what shld i do now? don't pay him the balance money till he rectify the problem for me? can or not?

Oh that is terrible!

Sorry to hear that!

I think it already suck inside the granite!

The only way is to ask him what should he do.

Maybe (I think so), hold back the balance first.

Tell him that they must do something....

And the only way (it is tedious) is to ask the shop owner how to remove oil stain from granite.

Today I might go down to polybuilding and maybe I will ask for you how to remove oil from granite. **If I go down lah.

http://www.polybuilding.com.sg/

Edited by h4happy