Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
workofgrace

Budgeting For A Baby

Hi guys, i have a baby coming and I am trying to do my sums..

How much more money do you spend now after having a baby.. say monthly..

and where does this money go to?

any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi. If you don't mind second hand items, suggest that you go to Yahoo auctions/ Singaporemotherhood.com.sg/ any other baby websites to get your stuff second hand. Some of these items may be in very good condition (of course, there are vice versa cases...so please do your homework) for very low prices. If you are getting toys second hand, please remember to sterilise them. :jawdrop:

Money goes to milk powder (if your wife's not breastfeeding) and diapers, baby wipes. Pre-baby, money goes to gynaecologist, maternity clothes, baby stuff e.g. cot, cloth diapers, car seat, etc.

any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

First of all, congrats! :jawdrop: So when's the baby due?

Most expectant parents want to buy their new baby the world--and there is a whole world of gear out there for little ones. But you don't need to spend a bundle on your little bundle.

Here are some suggestions to consider:

1) Get familiar with your current spending patterns.

2) Ask friends with children what various pieces of baby gear and other necessities cost and have them make a list of those items you should borrow or buy used and those you definitely want to buy new. You'll want to borrow or find used such items as a Baby Bjorn (which can be grown out of in less than 9 months), a portable crib, activity saucer, doorway jumper and temporary changing table.

3) Create a list of your current, pre-baby expenses. Once you learn where your money is going, you'll be able to figure out how much of it you can save and reallocate toward baby expenses.

4) Assume that your household expenses will rise after having your baby, and adjust your budget accordingly. Include essentials like

- diapers & wipes,

- formula/baby milk powder (if formula-feeding)

- baby food,

- clothing,

- doctor visits,

- immunizations,

- prescription drugs and medicine.

Initially, set aside about $150-$200 extra for household bills, and adjust that figure upward as you get a better handle on your monthly budget with baby in tow.

5) Start looking at day-care options if neither parent will be staying home. Act early to find child care, since many day-care centers have waiting lists. Take the time to do your homework and find the right one for your child and your budget without rushing.

6) Conserve water and energy, replace/repair inefficient appliances, etc. These measures will help keep utility bills in check despite the larger household.

7) Be cost-conscious about baby clothes. Enjoy the pool of friends and relatives who happily pass on their children's outgrown clothes, if you don't mind. Check out store outlets for bargain buys, and shop during sales and inventory markdowns.

8) Start your baby's edutcation fund now. By socking away as little as $50 per month, you can build up a formidable education fund by the time your child reaches 18 years of age.

9) Get recommendations for baby's paeditrician from your gynae, friends, colleagues, etc. It's better to start early on this one as you will not be in for more surprises as paeditricians' fees & charges varies. Most importantly is the rapport between you & doctor, so now is the time to interview the paeditricians in your list.

10) If you're considering banking your baby's cord blood, start now in getting more information from cord blood banks abt their one-time admin fees, collection charges as well as the annual storage fees.

There's a good reason why you were given nine plus months to get ready: Not only does having a new baby mean decorating a nursery and buying equipment, it also means preparing for a new life to join yours seamlessly.

- Stock the nursery and kitchen with baby-care basics including bottles, nipples, diapers and wipes, as well as a bottle steriliser, digital ear thermometer, nasal aspirator, baby nail clippers and diaper cream.

- If intending to breastfeed, factor in one-time charges for breast-pumps - either manual or electric. If intending to formula-feed, research the prices for various brands and anticipate the higher intake when baby's undergoing growth spurts.

- Ask friends with young children for recommendations on what to borrow versus what to buy. You'll be dropping some big bucks on your little bundle--strategic clothing and equipment loans can give significant financial relief.

- Get ready to rock and roll--with baby. Now's the time to research different brands and pick up what you need for baby gears and equipments. Factor in one-time charges for essentials like a car seat, a crib, a changing table, a stroller, an infant carrier and maybe a new coat of paint in the nursery.

- Crawl around on the floor to see what needs babyproofing.

- Make meals a few weeks ahead and freeze.

- Check out the Baby Bonus website for more information and setting aside how much you may need.

- Find out from the hospital of your choice abt the deposit upon admission, neonatal charges and various delivery fees, etc.

Additional tips:

- Food is one of the biggest chunks in your budget. Take measures to reduce food spending--less eating out, more shopping the warehouse stores--to improve your bottom line.

- Talk to your employer's human resources dept before your baby is born and ask about how your benefits package will change.

- Add your baby to your health & hospital insurance as soon as he or she is born--it's not automatic. Check with your insurance company the minimum age your newborn can be covered.

Hope that helps. Cheers! :notti:

Edited by gendon

any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Say $1,000 per month?

$500+ childcare (you'll need it eventually, unless your inlaws want to take care of the children for you)

$200+ enrichment programs

$200+ extra food, diapers, etc.

$100+ misc

After baby is born, you'll prob need to set aside for the following:

- $500 for Baby sitter

- $200 for milk powder if you are not breastfeeding & depending which brand of milk powder u buy. (Personally strongly encourage breastfeeding. I BF my girl till she was abt 3.5yrs old)

- $200 for food/ diapers

- $100 for doc (just in case, esp so if you are bring yr bb to a PD.) + misc.

hey guys, thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

So i gather a rough estimate for diapers, milk powder and misc would be about $500 a month..

haha, its actually more than what i thought it would be.

hey guys, thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

So i gather a rough estimate for diapers, milk powder and misc would be about $500 a month..

haha, its actually more than what i thought it would be.

You can save abt 50% of that cost if you go on total BFG (breastfeeding).

Just make sure you invest in a good Electric Breast pump. Wld recommend u to get either Medela (can get from hospital) or Ameda. If u can afford it, get a double pump, definitely can yield more milk than a single one!

But does breastfeeding for a long term makes the breast go saggy? Sorry if I ask too directly because I happen to see extreme makeover and those mothers who breast feed for long term gets saggy breast after that.

Heard that saggy breasts can be prevented wif massage and proper confinement. Then good support bras come in handy to delay the sagging till it naturally occurs around late 40s.

For me, I'm already in my 25th week but i have yet to shop around for my baby stuff. Juz moved in 3 weeks ago. Lots of settling down to do. With the fasting month and hari raya coming, I'm getting a bigger headache as the festive occasion means we need to spend more money....sigh.

But does breastfeeding for a long term makes the breast go saggy? Sorry if I ask too directly because I happen to see extreme makeover and those mothers who breast feed for long term gets saggy breast after that.

Actually it's the pregnancy hormones that did.

Like what lynzi mentioned abt support bras, I agree. Especially when during pregnancy your bra cup size may jump several cup sizes. It is how you take care of your breast pre-birth as well as how elastic your skin is, your genes and posture. I know of some non-bf moms who also got saggy breasts after birth, so to say exlusively that breastfeeding long term makes the breasts saggy, it's just hearsay.

Anyways, for discussion abt Breastfeeding you can hop in in this topic: All About Breastfeeding - Get to know other nursing moms, share your experiences, questions & advices and more.

You'll get saggy boobs too even if u dun BF (breastfeed).

Those having a larger cup size (above B cup) tend to get saggy boobs easier compared to the those having a smaller cup size.

To prevent having saggy boobs, a good support bra + proper massage is very impt.

End of the day, choosing to BF or not is a personal choice. There really isn't any right or wrong.

You'll just have to weigh the pros & cons of BFG yr child.

Some Pros or reasons when I chose to BF:

- Lower the mother's risk of hving womb & breast cancer

- Have heard of cases where mother has cysts in the womb and surprisingly aft a few mths of BFG, the cysts went away. Doc said cld be due to BFG.

- Give yr child better immunity against viruses. Hv read reports tt BF kids usually recover faster than FM (Formula Milk) fed kids when they are sick

- Creates a closer bond between mother & child.

- extremely convenient. No need to carry so many btls, water, powder milk, etc. I just sling my bb & BF her while shopping. :P

- Can save alot of money.

- Formula Milk are made from Cows. Breast milk is for human. My bb is Not a calf! :thumbs up:

Cons:

- sore & painful nipples

- may get engorgement which is quite painful.

- Yr boobs no longer belong to you.... it belongs to the bb!

Some good websites to start off with BFG are:

http://www.kellymom.com

http://www.lalecheleague.org

http://www.breastfeeding.org.sg/indexhelpcorner.html

http://www.askdrsears.com

U can start watching Sunday 2pm - Channel 8 "First Steps".

This is a repeated serial, first aired in Dec. I missed the first 2 espisode, so really regret.

Teaches you how to take care of baby.

For example: 1st month, dun cut fingernail and use handmuff to protect. 1st half year, dun let baby sleep using pillow, use a cloth as their skull still fragile.

i guess, im pregnant, can anyone advise me on the upcoming cost base on one bedded Private hospital as follows:-

Gynae cost before 20weeks x How many visit.

Gynea Cost after 20 week

Hospital cost before CPF (base on 1 bedded private hospital)

Hospital cost after cpf deduction (base on 1 bedded private hospital)

Baby cots estimate

Diapers

milk powder

follow up Gynea cost.

Did i miss out anything, pls help me to add ok :)

TIA

i guess, im pregnant, can anyone advise me on the upcoming cost base on one bedded Private hospital as follows:-

Gynea Cost after 20 week

Baby cots estimate

Diapers

milk powder

follow up Gynea cost.

TIA

Consult ~$60-$100. Around 2-3 visits if everything is well. Additional cost for supplements.

Gynea Cost after 20 week

Check if your Gynae got package. Package usually cheaper. Ours was around $600 until delivery. 1 visit/month until around 2 months before delivery where it becomes every 2 weeks and every week.

Answer later

Answer later

Baby cots estimate

If use the wood type, will be around $300. If use those playpen, will be <$100.

Diapers

Need to decide whether cloth or paper. Are you getting a confinement nanny? If yes, get cloth and then get her to wash. Cheaper.

milk powder

Breastfeed - Cheaper

follow up Gynea cost.

If C-section, just 2 visits... same like $60-100 per visit.

TIA

Hi Ladyluck, some response above. The Gynae really depends on how popular the Gynae is. Those more expensive one can be really expensive while there are cheaper alternatives. Check out singaporemotherhood for recommendations.

For the delivery, there are several charges that you did not include and it depends on several factors:

1) C-Section or Natural

C-Section will need around 3 days stay while natural can be discharged after 2 days. Charges vary accordingly. Thomson package is around $2600 exclude drugs and medicine for C-section (3 days) single bed package.

2) Epidural

Additional cost cost need another doctor to administer. ($500)

3) Your Gynae delivery charges

Around $3000 and can really go up depending on how popular the gynae is. Of the hospital and gynae charges, around $3000 can come from medisave.

4) PD charges

Around $400 depending on PD you engage.

5) Babycare charges

Note the hospital charges previously mentioned are for mum. The baby has another set of charges around $500 - $1000 for medical supplies, accommodation, babycare service, UV light etc. This is assuming your baby does not need to be warded into ICU which is extremely expensive.

I think thats about it until delivery. Post delivery you have to think about confinement nanny ($2000) for 1 month, breast pump sets, etc.

Quite scary when you think about it!! :jawdrop: