Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
alamak

Finally... Our Home

Been lurking around and sucking information for quite some time. Thinking of starting our own blog to seek opinions and share the reno process.

Our 1st appointment will be on the 10th Sept. Looking to start the reno in early Dec and be ready before Chinese New Year.

In the process of sourcing for ID/contractors now. Still trying to find someone who can fit our small budget and yet do PM for us. Going to redo everything as unit is in original condition but going to keep it simple.

This is our floor plan.

floorplan-1.jpg

Thanks for viewing. :)

Status

-------

Keys - Collected

Layout - Decided

ID selection - Selected

Reno starting in 7th Dec.

Edited by alamak

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi hi

Wah your unit very "long" hor ? :P

Is that your WIW in the location where your store rm used to be ?

Both design is feasible, it depends on whether you would like the study rm in the other rm or the WIW in the other rm

Personally I would prefer the study rm since I will not disturb my wife when I'm working late :)

Edited by coffee_o

Hey! Same layout as mine (though mine is slightly broader and doesn't have the room right at the back...lucky you!)

I kind of prefer Layout 1, but I'm just a bit concerned that the space is a bit narrow when you get up from your desk.

Hi Alamak,

Welcome!!

For layout 1, on the wiw area, I would prefer to have the wardrobe to cover the whole stretch on the left and then L-shaped, instead of face to face which narrow the space. Meaning all on 1 side of the room.

For the layout 2, is there any window in your study room? I think it might be quite stuffy/ dark if there isn't any.

You might want to take note of the beams locations while planning the layout. :)

@coffee_o: yah lor.. very long. yup, will be hacking 1 side of the storeroom depends on which layout to be used.

@yuene: i would prefer it to be broader tho, too thin liao. that's why cannot put a proper coffee table. o/w cannot walk. the utility room is a plus. :) the free space btw the table and the back of the wardrobe is a headache. if less than 1m, i will forgo the layout. wardrobe to wardrobe space if less than 90cm, also have to abort.

@rasp: have thought of laying 1 whole stretch of wardrobe against the wall with a small extension to form a L-shape but this way will need to install the wardrobe doors o/w look very messy cos it's very long. our idea is to have a open wardrobe. the study room in layout 2 will have no windows, this is also a concern for us. also need an additional aircon for that room o/w too stuffy. thanks for the beam reminder. will be going to have a look at the unit again on the 1st appt day to take some measurements.

actually the original plan is to hack the wall to open up the study area is layout 2. but plan aborted as will look messy with the study area in view.

Edited by alamak

Congrates on ur new home! :D Hope u have a smooth reno. :)

thanks

hello alamak! so you have decided to open a blog. who's the lucky selected ID/Contractor? btw, i prefer layout 2

hi, there. none selected yet... still can't fit the works into our budget. also me and my gf not those type who will look for many quotes, maybe max 5. also have to be near our place in the east. so far went to all those below

1) Earnest

2) Oran ge Cu be

3) Baroque

4) Dx Interior

5) Pinklady's ID

6) Tau Interior

7) CJ Ambience

8) Gobii's ID

Edited by alamak

thanks

hi, there. none selected yet... still can't fit the works into our budget. also me and my gf not those type who will look for many quotes, maybe max 5. also have to be near our place in the east. so far went to all those below

1) Earnest

2) *****

3) Baroque

4) Dx Interior

5) Some other contractor, dunno who yet. Maybe Jason but the lack of PM is a deterrent.

Hahaha actually that's what I thought too till some of the ID don't bother or too slow in their replies

In the end, spoke to 9 different parties, some can be easily filter out just based on the way the ID spoke to me and of cos the quote :D

@yuene: i would prefer it to be broader tho, too thin liao. that's why cannot put a proper coffee table. o/w cannot walk. the utility room is a plus. :) the free space btw the table and the back of the wardrobe is a headache. if less than 1m, i will forgo the layout. wardrobe to wardrobe space if less than 90cm, also have to abort.

Yeah! I like having lots of space, because I grew up in homes with big spaces (or maybe it felt bigger because I was smaller? :dunno:), but dunno why I seem to end up getting drawn to long and narrow spaces. I don't know if you find yourself doing this, but sometimes when I'm trying to figure out if a certain layout will work, I'll start pulling out rulers and measuring, and then walking around to see if it's comfortable. You can use floorplanner to measure the distance between your table and the back of the study area, and then determine if that is enough space.

Yeah! I like having lots of space, because I grew up in homes with big spaces (or maybe it felt bigger because I was smaller? :dunno:), but dunno why I seem to end up getting drawn to long and narrow spaces. I don't know if you find yourself doing this, but sometimes when I'm trying to figure out if a certain layout will work, I'll start pulling out rulers and measuring, and then walking around to see if it's comfortable. You can use floorplanner to measure the distance between your table and the back of the study area, and then determine if that is enough space.

i am also the kind who will measure here measure there. :D for me, i've been living with my family of 5 in a 3A flat for most of my life, so our new place will be more than enuff for just the 2 of us.

have already used floorplanner to plan but will need to do a on-site measurement to make sure that it's feasible. dun want to plan 'sui sui' then in the end cannot implement.

still early for us but would like to finalize on the ID/contractor by the 2nd appointment and then start picking the tiles and colors before the reno commences in early Dec.

long time no updates.

already collected my keys, met up with a lot more ID/contractors to try to find someone who can fit out budget. :D

now in the process of finalizing the reno quote with a potential reno firm. reno to start 1st week of Dec.

have a quick question for you guys. the existing kitchen wall tile is those half-height type. I will be either cement screed it or lay new tiles. Both of which I will hack the existing wall tiles.

Would like to find out, can I don't hack the existing kitchen wall tiles that will be hidden behind the new kitchen cabinets? Only hack the existing wall tiles that will be exposed? Thinking of ways to cut some cost.

Thanks.

Edited by alamak

long time no updates.

already collected my keys, met up with a lot more ID/contractors to try to find someone who can fit out budget. :D

now in the process of finalizing the reno quote with a potential reno firm. reno to start 1st week of Dec.

have a quick question for you guys. the existing kitchen wall tile is those half-height type. I will be either cement screed it or lay new tiles. Both of which I will hack the existing wall tiles.

Would like to find out, can I don't hack the existing kitchen wall tiles that will be hidden behind the new kitchen cabinets? Only hack the existing wall tiles that will be exposed? Thinking of ways to cut some cost.

Thanks.

hi alamak, what's your decided layout? can show here? please take note of beams when planning your layout of living areas and light planning. will be very odd if your sofa or light is below or too close to a beam :D

you can see my t-blog to see my layout too :D i have 4 living areas divided by the beams.

don't hack the wall tiles at all. cover it with cabinets, and laminated spraypainted glass as backsplash!

long time no updates.

Thanks.

Hi Alamak,

Can be done. But cost won't be much cheaper - you probably save less than $500. First of all, hacking process is not very expensive. The laying of new tiles is the main cost factor here. Ask your ID to quote the hacking price for the wall tiles alone. Moreover, after hacking, they also need to touch up on the edge of the tiles that were not hacked.

What I suggest is, if u prefer to have new tiles rather than back splash, u can opt to overlay tiles on the exposed areas only. The cabinets will hide the old tiles and u save on the hacking cost at the same time. Just a suggestion. :)

Edited by Mickey M