Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yamkc58

Veneer Trimming vs ABS Trimming

I'm wondering how come the decision was only between veneer trimming and ABS trimming. What about PVC trimming? It gives round edges, doesn't it? And for longer lasting kitchen cabinet doors, postform is great because the veneer does not end at right angles, but fold inwards, so no chance of peeling.

Classic Kitchen and Furniture use this method when they custom make their cabinets for customers.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

ABS trimming got more colors. My current kitchen cabinet is grey -> so it is like aluminium trimming (the cheaper version). qives quite a good look.

Veneer trimming, I think like wood, need special care and maintance.

I just want to mention that if your carpenter is good, he can make the trimmings (better known as edging) very thin i.e 1 mm and makes the whole cabinet look classy. And if you choose a wood grained laminate, the doors can look like solid wood. Well, not really but you get the drift.

So far, I know only Lam Chuan (the laminate manufacturer) offers edging that matches the laminate colours. Other lami suppliers do not. I spoke with my kitchen designer and he said that if I insist on having edging that is tone on tone with the lami, he'll have to make sure he orders the lami from Lam Chuan.

Hope this info helps those who are deciding on cabinets ....

hi all, can any kind souls explain to me what is ABS trimming and Veneer trimming?

I see alot of these words on the forum i know it's something like trimming but how does it look like?

hi all, can any kind souls explain to me what is ABS trimming and Veneer trimming?

I see alot of these words on the forum i know it's something like trimming but how does it look like?

ABS trimming is the rounded capping at the joint edge between two pieces of laminate/plywood. Usually they are used on cabinet doors like kitchen and wardrobe doors where there are alot of opening and closing. ABS trimming ensures that the laminates do not peel off easily over time...

Not sure what veneer trimming is though....but I figured it serves the same purpose as ABS trimming..

ABS trimming is the rounded capping at the joint edge between two pieces of laminate/plywood. Usually they are used on cabinet doors like kitchen and wardrobe doors where there are alot of opening and closing. ABS trimming ensures that the laminates do not peel off easily over time...

Not sure what veneer trimming is though....but I figured it serves the same purpose as ABS trimming..

So which is more expensive ?

I understand that most of the cabinets built are using ABS Trimming. Heard from another ID that they are using Veneer Trimming (??) instead and it looks better than ABS Trimming.

Not really sure and familiar with Veneer Trimming. :) What will be the pros and cons of the 2, eg in terms of durability, looks, etc?

Firstly, in the market, not only ABS and veneer trimming exist. Other like solid wood bidding, laminate edging, aluminium, stainless steel profile, etc.

Much dependence on the usage of your cabinet. Like kitchen cabinet, not advisable to use veneer or wood bidding as water is the consideration. aluminium and laminate give sharp corners. laminate is the cheapest but peel/chip off after reckon used. stainless steel profile is most ideal for most usage but too modern look.

Firstly, in the market, not only ABS and veneer trimming exist. Other like solid wood bidding, laminate edging, aluminium, stainless steel profile, etc.

Much dependence on the usage of your cabinet. Like kitchen cabinet, not advisable to use veneer or wood bidding as water is the consideration. aluminium and laminate give sharp corners. laminate is the cheapest but peel/chip off after reckon used. stainless steel profile is most ideal for most usage but too modern look.

so ABS better than Veneer for Kitchen Cabinets?

so ABS better than Veneer for Kitchen Cabinets?

Veneer is certainly not suitable for kitchen cabinet. There are choice for kitchen cabinet edging like ABS, Stainless Steel, Aluminium profile, or cheapest mean using the laminate but it has sharp edges and chip easily

Veneer is certainly not suitable for kitchen cabinet. There are choice for kitchen cabinet edging like ABS, Stainless Steel, Aluminium profile, or cheapest mean using the laminate but it has sharp edges and chip easily

Does Veneer cost more than ABS ?

Does Veneer cost more than ABS ?

About the same. But bear in mind that the carpenter will not charge any different for the edging material as the different is too small. A door is still a door. Different material for edging is probably less than $5 per door. But to owner, you should consider whether it is durable.