Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

hi guys,

i've communicated with Mike for my reno quotation via email. have since received his quotation for the things i am doing.

would like to ask ard, still room for further discounts off the quoted price? Cos I know some ID can only only round off while others still can give a bit more discounts. so which group does baroque belongs to?

want to gather some info on this in case i decide to meet him. thanks

Edited by alamak

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi all,

Finally took the trouble to sign up as a member so that I can post my comments since I have greatly benefitted from the advice that members have been giving.

My search for an interior design firms/contractor started in late September, one month prior to the collection of the key to my flat. Based on recommendations from the members of this forum as well as friends and relatives, I requested for quotations from 18 different companies (a trueblue Kiasu Singaporean).

Of these 18 potential ID firms/contractors, 12 responded and I met up with all 12 representatives. It was a long and tedious search as my initial plan for the layout and design of my flat kept changing as I met each new ID. After one month of searching, I finally decided on signing with Shawn from Baroque D.Zign as my ID, one week after I gotten my key.

Currently, awaiting the perspective drawings to be done and will keep you guys posted on the progress of my renovation. Hopefully, my experience will be a positive and smooth one.

Edited by m1ghtym0use

Got my perspective drawings on Wednesday and met up with Shawn to discuss the changes. Don't know how to post the drawings, anyone can help me so that I can post it here?

Just learnt how to upload pictures and as such I am posting the 5 perspective drawings that my ID, Shawn has provided me on Wednesday. However, I have already made changes to the designs and colours and will be posting the revised ones once Shawn sent them to me.

The TV console in the Living Room

perspectivedrawingtvcon.th.jpg

The wardrobe in the Master Bedroom

perspectivedrawingmaste.th.jpg

2 different versions of the study table cum wardrobe

perspectivedrawingstudy.th.jpg

perspectivedrawingstudyg.th.jpg

And finally, the kitchen cabinets

perspectivedrawingkitch.th.jpg

didn't want to post any comments, but what happened recently was the last straw.

Main recent problem: their electrician (not sure if it's theirs as paid the cheque to the ID's name and not the co) installed the switchboard with a different sized tester switch. as it was not the same brand as the rest of those smaller switches, the height is different, therefore the long piece of connector below those switches that connects them all could not secure properly to the tester switch as it was higher. so after 1 yr with the current not being able to flow properly finally blew and burnt the tester shorting the whole circuit in the house. lucky i was home and there was no fire. so my advise is to make sure the switchboard brands are all the same.

Other minor problems:

1) more than 20 hollow tiles. excuse was, wet that time won't know, only dry already then will know. come on lah, it's the amount of cement put and the mixture that dictates whether it sticks properly or not.

2) supposed to wall mount TV in room, but partition wall guy forget to put extra wood in the partition to fix the rack. in the end have to put on console that was fixed on the partition wall. too heavy so cracked the jointing part of the console and partition wall.

3) carpentry guys smoked and threw ciggies on the tiles AFTER i have replaced the hollow ones leaving burnt marks that can't be removed. 2 spots.

others can't be bothered to mention.

anyway no matter how good the firm is, as long as they employ incompetent sub-cons, it's all the same shoddy work being done.

We met Andy from Baroque 3 times now. Very patient and very accomodating. Most probably will sign up with him.

yes, i agree.... worked with Mike and Andy for my ongoing reno..... nice guy :)

didn't want to post any comments, but what happened recently was the last straw.

Main recent problem: their electrician (not sure if it's theirs as paid the cheque to the ID's name and not the co) installed the switchboard with a different sized tester switch. as it was not the same brand as the rest of those smaller switches, the height is different, therefore the long piece of connector below those switches that connects them all could not secure properly to the tester switch as it was higher. so after 1 yr with the current not being able to flow properly finally blew and burnt the tester shorting the whole circuit in the house. lucky i was home and there was no fire. so my advise is to make sure the switchboard brands are all the same.

Other minor problems:

1) more than 20 hollow tiles. excuse was, wet that time won't know, only dry already then will know. come on lah, it's the amount of cement put and the mixture that dictates whether it sticks properly or not.

2) supposed to wall mount TV in room, but partition wall guy forget to put extra wood in the partition to fix the rack. in the end have to put on console that was fixed on the partition wall. too heavy so cracked the jointing part of the console and partition wall.

3) carpentry guys smoked and threw ciggies on the tiles AFTER i have replaced the hollow ones leaving burnt marks that can't be removed. 2 spots.

anyway no matter how good the firm is, as long as they employ incompetent sub-cons, it's all the same shoddy work being done.

hi, care to share who is in charge of your reno? mine is under Mike and Andy and so far no major issues yet.... tiling just completed.... keeping my fingers crossed

I had met him in person seems to be quite a nice guy and they are the only one who is willing to design for you without any costs or to sign any contract. Can try but i can't promise they are really good but at least i think better than ******, looking at the tons of negative comments about them and what i had gone through. But if you read the comments of baroque is mostly positive comments. You can request to look at their workmanship to judge whether it is worth to give them the job. According to my experience, it is better to separate the renovation works to different contractor, so u will not be held back by one, looking at my state. Even u are willing to pay more to an ID company, you might ended up doing most of the coordination works yourself if the ID is no good. Like ME they dont go down to site to supervise their workers, u know their workers left my flat unlocked 4 times, it is really scare, you have to go down every day to ensure things are done in the way you want it to be.

I just regretted that i didn't check out this website before i engaged ME. So now i hope i can share with all my bad experience with ME and hope you all will not fall into their trap like me. sigh..... :( now thinking of engaging a lawyer to help to terminate the contract with them asap.

Hi kevin_e, your reno works still ongoing with ME? do you know if they have moved office or changed name?

i have a 1k deposit with them and has not been able to contact them since last year.... :(

Hi all

Have you tried Sunny Giam from Baroque D.zign?

Today we met up wif him and were impressed with him. So far we have met up with 7 IDs

1) Start IDeas TM Pte Ltd

2) Images

3) One Design Concept

4) Lowe Living

5) Baroque D'zign - Sunny

6) Color space

7) Ideal Design

...still considering

So anyone out here be generous to share your opinions on Sunny and Baroque wif me? PM me thank so much in advance :D

Hi all

Have you tried Sunny Giam from Baroque D.zign?

Today we met up wif him and were impressed with him. So far we have met up with 7 IDs

1) Start IDeas TM Pte Ltd

2) Images

3) One Design Concept

4) Lowe Living

5) Baroque D'zign - Sunny

6) Color space

7) Ideal Design

...still considering

So anyone out here be generous to share your opinions on Sunny and Baroque wif me? PM me thank so much in advance :D

Hi Franmay,

Did you end up engaging Sunny from Baroque? I met up him recently and impressed with his approach and quote. Care to share if you have engaged him? Thank you.

:rolleyes:

Hi

Yes we have engaged Sunny :) He is quite accomodating and open to our ideas.

He is patient and answer our questions with patience ;) Oh yes, we are still at the initial stage.

What made us decide on Sunny is that on one Sunday, my husband and I went to showflat (3rd time). We noticed Indian workers removing the surface top(WHOLE). We asked Sunny why the workers remove when it is in good condition. Sunny replied that there are a few scratches! It was not so obvious to our eyes then.

Hence we were impressed with his professionalism. So we signed up with him shortly :) I have to watch him whether he will do the same for my house like he did to the showflat. *ermmm*

Renovation will probably commence after CNY.

Will try to upload "before and after" photos :) once the renovation starts :)

Merci!

It is my 2nd post and probably I would post double as I am still struggling with this post thread (new to this forum) :)

Other minor problems:

Remember more than a year ago, how you slammed me about being a ghost writer when I shared my experiences. Now you understand what I went through. Not laughing at your misery, cos I totally understand the shoddy work done by their subcons and how the ID don't supervised their subcons.

There are a few hollow tiles in my house and they chipped 2 kitchen floor tiles. When I asked the ID to redo them, the excuse he gave for not re-doing it is that when the subcon take out the hollow tiles or replace the chipped tiles, it would affect the tiles surrounding the tile they have to remove. So what is the use of the ID ordering so many extra tiles (think I still have 4 packs of each tiles still sitting in my storeroom)?

The wiring for my alter table had burnt out so many times (the bulbs even burst) and I had to get their electrician to come to replace. In the end I got an external electrician to solve the problem. I don't even want to talk about their capentry work which will make me boils. Waiting for a few more years and I will definitely do a re-renovation. Oh! The a few pieces of the skirting tiles in my living room came out 2 years back. I didn't bother to call them, just DIY cos I don't want to deal with them any more.

It is my luck to deal with that particular ID and I had to do a rush job at that time of my renovation. Learnt a tiring and valuable lesson.

Edited by Misty

• Like 1