Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tazzie58

Stainless Steel Shower Racks And Dish Racks

then i think you should show your ID these photos

and tell him this is the purpose of a dish rack - to allow dishes to drip dry after washing

if wipe dry liao can just put inside drawer, want a dish rack for what !! :)

yalor - might as well go to those $2 dollar shops and buy a cheapo dish rack - dirty jsut throw, no need scrub.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi, stainless steel not really rust proof. it will still hv abit of spots here and there. juz sand or scrub + wash once in a while can already. and it depend on type of usage, usage frequency and place of usage.

juz hv to live with it.

its galvanised steel den can withstand rust provided its properly galvanised. but such galv. metals only use in impt areas, eg. hangers, rods, chiller pipes, etc. and not at hm coz too ex liao.

then i think you should show your ID these photos

and tell him this is the purpose of a dish rack - to allow dishes to drip dry after washing

if wipe dry liao can just put inside drawer, want a dish rack for what :yamseng::notti:

ya la, same sentiments with applefreak la... go ask yr ID the definition of stainless steel....??

u ask him if its u, u can accept mah? dun treat us like idiots la...

stainless steel dun rust de....

take pixs show yr ID if not 'invite' him up to see for himself or herself...

u bug him or her ev day la then they buay tehan sure surrender gv u brand new real stainless steel de....

If the rust stain on the dish tray can be clean by detergent.

The rust does not come out from the dish tray.

Some steel or iron chip particles from your other utensils

example screw of pan, cast iron utensil.

So all these get to sit there, combine with water to form rust stain.

By the way, do not use steel wool, just use soft sponge.

There are many types of stainless steel (SS). If its of lower grade and you stay near sea, likely your SS will rust....

You can try using a magnet on the SS. If it attracts to the SS, then it only contain Chromium. For Chromium to be effective, it should have about 18% Chromium, but some only have 10% Chromium.... This type of SS is of lower grade. And salt can penetrate Chromium to cause spot rusting.

If the magnet does not attract to the SS, then it contains Chromium + Nickel (Nickel makes steel loss its magnetic properties and improves anti rust ability). This grade provides better resistance to rusting. The grade is usually indicated as 304 or 18/8 or 18/10 SS. (18/8 means 18% Chromium, 8% Nickel and so on...) This is the usual high end grade of SS for home user. (the roaster brand of SS product are 18/8. And HDB uses 18/10 SS for the water piping.)

The even higher grade like 316 SS have addition of Molybdenum on top of Chormium and Nickel. But this is mainly for marine use. Very expensive!!

Edited by Brainstorm

Hi all

Been a long time since I posted anything but have been reading the posts every now and then.

I have a question for all forum-mers:

Now the dish racks and shower racks (usually used to put shower stuff in the shower area) are normally made of stainless-steel. As such they should be rust-proof right?

My dish rack keeps getting the rust-like stuff appearing on it. My ID has been kind enough to replace for me twice and they keep telling me that I need to keep the rack dry and wash/scrub every week. But isn't the purpose of the dish rack to hold dishes until they are dry...?? And the dish rack is not very easy to remove......Even the drip plate gets the rust-like stuff.

The shower rack is faring well either. Less than 6 months only......the railings have become rusty and looks like it is years old. How?

Is there a better way of maintaining such items? Are there plastic dish racks in the market?

Help!

Hi, I'm facing the same problem!:sport-smiley-018:!!

There is a layer of brownish stains on my dish drainer which I believe to be RUST. My ID thinks so also, but the guy who installed the dish drainer, he simply wiped it off with a scrubpad, insisted that it's not rust and it's dirt.

What rubbish was that???

Cups/Bowls just washed and left there to dry and got dirt??

Yeah, after I go around check other shop that sell ss product, some got put 18/10 SS or 18/8 SS.

Tot of repairing my existing SS instead of getting another n drill hole again :bangwall: But, some said after using Autosol, it will rub off the SS protection coat, and u need to keep using it?

Any experience user on "Epoxy paint"? Saw it selling at DIY shop around $5x, the picture show after u use it, it is like shiny like the white basin :sport-smiley-004:

hi kensanctuary, what are you thinking of replacing?

maybe we can give you some suggestions as to where to get replacements that doesn't rust and will last for quite some time.

several forummers actually painted their bathroom tiles with epoxy paint

not sure if you can use it on metal though :P

Thanks applefreak!!

1st option: save the existing SS rack by remove & stopping the rust - i. metal polisher-autosol? - ii. anti-rust painting (but look ugly)

2nd option: replace the rack :dancingqueen: Tower rack & corner rack in bathroom. I search the past post on SS => Genova or the "chicken" brand Song Cho with 18/10 SS? But replacing the tower rack not sure can use back the same "hole" else need to drill hole again on the tile?? :X

1st option: forever you will be polishing

2nd option: just patch up existing with putty or white cement. get a good quality once and for all....pay and FORGET.

i'm using grab bars as towel rods

two bird in one stone - can hang towel and offer support for elderly :rofl:

as for corner rack, i got the ikea one which is quite big but since it's glass and aluminium, no fear of rust :(