Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tazzie58

Stainless Steel Shower Racks And Dish Racks

Hi all

Been a long time since I posted anything but have been reading the posts every now and then.

I have a question for all forum-mers:

Now the dish racks and shower racks (usually used to put shower stuff in the shower area) are normally made of stainless-steel. As such they should be rust-proof right?

My dish rack keeps getting the rust-like stuff appearing on it. My ID has been kind enough to replace for me twice and they keep telling me that I need to keep the rack dry and wash/scrub every week. But isn't the purpose of the dish rack to hold dishes until they are dry...?? And the dish rack is not very easy to remove......Even the drip plate gets the rust-like stuff.

The shower rack is faring well either. Less than 6 months only......the railings have become rusty and looks like it is years old. How?

Is there a better way of maintaining such items? Are there plastic dish racks in the market?

Help!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

yes there are plastic dish racks in the market

but stainless steel should not behave the way you described

not sure why but so far my stainless steel stuff are 'abused' and still shiny !!

not sure why but so far my stainless steel stuff are 'abused' and still shiny :dunno:

i think he got the cheapo type of stainless steel machiam the ikeas...they rust.

not sure why but so far my stainless steel stuff are 'abused' and still shiny :dunno:

That is what I know of stainless steel dish racks lor.....should not rust or have rust-like stuff.

i think he got the cheapo type of stainless steel machiam the ikeas...they rust.

I thought so too.....

Anyway applefreak and MaCe, they insist that I am not maintaining the dish rack properly and that the rack should be scrubbed every week! Got such thing or not?

My ID has been so good to work with but this rack is driving me crazy........if the rust-like stuff can be scrubbed off.....is it rust?

:bangwall: !! :yamseng:

to be fair to IKEA, stainless steel wares from IKEA do NOT rust...

those that rust are chrome-plated steel, not stainless steel...

u can check the product tag to see whether an IKEA product is made of chrome-plated steel or stainless steel...

generally, the GRUNDTAL series from IKEA is made of stainless steel, just like those stainless steel wares sold at hoe kee, song cho or sim siang choon...

My ID has been so good to work with but this rack is driving me crazy........if the rust-like stuff can be scrubbed off.....is it rust?

:dunno::bangwall: !!

rust can be scrubbed off or sandpapered off... rust is merely the oxide of the iron, and it does not bond to the iron, so they can be removed by physical means e.g. sandpapering...

those rusted accessories are made of chrome-plated steel, not stainless steel...

get ur ID to replace them with stainless steel ones...

it is not easy to identify by merely looking at the metal to know whether it is chrome-plated or stainless steel... however, chrome-plated steel does like more shiny than the normal stainless steel (there is a more expensive grade of stainless steel that is also shiny, but i doubt any ID will give them to u without u paying more)...

to be safe, u may want to follow ur ID to the shop floor and ask the salesman personally before ur ID buys it...

Edited by redbottle

That is what I know of stainless steel dish racks lor.....should not rust or have rust-like stuff.

I thought so too.....

Anyway applefreak and MaCe, they insist that I am not maintaining the dish rack properly and that the rack should be scrubbed every week! Got such thing or not?

:dunno::bangwall: !!

where got such thing simi scrub the rack every week??? then what for you pay EXTRAs for stainless steel? might as well buy cheapo iron/metal rack from sungei road roadside peddlers.

I bought mine from genova - 3+ mths liao never scrub even once.

the rust like stuffs appears like tiny dots right?

where got such thing simi scrub the rack every week??? then what for you pay EXTRAs for stainless steel? might as well buy cheapo iron/metal rack from sungei road roadside peddlers.

I bought mine from genova - 3+ mths liao never scrub even once.

the rust like stuffs appears like tiny dots right?

Exactly.....dots that appear very much like rust or corrosion but if scrubbed, can be removed. The guy from the company who changed for me said that the oil from the dishes and other dirty materials cause them. BUT.......dishes that appear on the rack have already been cleaned and are left there to dry. WHERE GOT OIL????? Anyway, wouldn't oil prevent the rust from appearing?

So how?

here are the pix

we just dump everything on it after washing and let the water drip

IMG_0001-4.jpg

the water mark on the collection tray

IMG_0002-4.jpg

are you talking about rust spots like this?

IMG_0003-4.jpg

that's my knife block and it's NOT stainless steel

here are the pix

we just dump everything on it after washing and let the water drip

IMG_0001-4.jpg

I do exactly the same thing. Wash, and then drip dry. I mean....isn't that the purpose of a dish rack?

the water mark on the collection tray

IMG_0002-4.jpg

I have that too.......

are you talking about rust spots like this?

IMG_0003-4.jpg

Exactly...:P!:notti:!! And my rack is supposed to be stainless steel....

that's my knife block and it's NOT stainless steel

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

then i think you should show your ID these photos

and tell him this is the purpose of a dish rack - to allow dishes to drip dry after washing

if wipe dry liao can just put inside drawer, want a dish rack for what :P:notti:

Exactly.....dots that appear very much like rust or corrosion but if scrubbed, can be removed. The guy from the company who changed for me said that the oil from the dishes and other dirty materials cause them. BUT.......dishes that appear on the rack have already been cleaned and are left there to dry. WHERE GOT OIL????? Anyway, wouldn't oil prevent the rust from appearing?

So how?

rust can be scrubbed off or sandpapered off...