Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
eniglda

Built In Furniture Or Buy From Stores?

Other than IMM and Furniture Mall, where would would be recommended to go TV Console Shopping?

I bot mine from Orange Furniture.. Bedok South.

Quite a lot of options. Service ok.

Delivery on 6th Dec.

Hope everything ok. Got some forummer complain about

how their service not so good wen came to delivery!!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

aiyo then i'm a goondu loh

for the sake of beauty i actually have granite countertop for my concrete support :D

me also removed balcony sliding door but living area still looks small :D

eniglda, you going to share your floor plan with us?

me like to !! :dribble: over pple's floor plan leh :deal:

hehehe, now me slowly adding piece by piece

to look like beijing emperor hse is my dream

but cannot buy the bed coz the bed is one piece and cannot fit into lift or stairwell :~

the concrete slab is more expensive you know

4ft cabinet is $400 and 4ft concrete is $680 :curse:

but i've got it coz i want something sturdy

btw you living really very big :P:~

TS, why not share your floor plan here

maybe we can give some suggestions based on it :dunno:

erm, apple.. sorry if i didnt write clearly. i mean concrete slab in replace of granite/solid surface (eg. granite, LG, corian, exclude those acrylic type) + cabinet. its cheaper this way. rather den do solid surface + cabinet which can be more costly.

concrete slab with tiles + cabinet = cheaper. my mummy hse use this. she say if my daddy make her angry, she can chop the chicken/meat directly on to the slab without fear of damaging it... :(:):(:(:help:

solid surface top + cabinet = more ex.

my living rm not big, juz that i remove the balcony sliding door. dun think i want a balcony that i hv to do up window + grilles and can't do anything there, waste of space. so i included in my living rm.

if want to set up a 'chinese garden', can do on corridor and expand to neighbour territory.... :notti::notti:

:sport-smiley-004: me also rosewood lover but cannot buy too many, wait hse look vy much like Beijing Emperor's hse...

ya, kitchen cabinets need to customise, no choice. but you can do with wooden cabinet + concrete slab with tiles (for sink and cooking area) which will be cheaper. abit like old pattern coz my folks hv this but really its sturdy, gd quality, and value for money.

hehehe, now me slowly adding piece by piece

to look like beijing emperor hse is my dream

but cannot buy the bed coz the bed is one piece and cannot fit into lift or stairwell :~

the concrete slab is more expensive you know

4ft cabinet is $400 and 4ft concrete is $680 :jawdrop:

but i've got it coz i want something sturdy

btw you living really very big :dribble: :dribble:

TS, why not share your floor plan here

maybe we can give some suggestions based on it :yamseng:

Edited by applefreak

wardrobelshapedcm4.gif

This is what I was talking about earlier. Check with your ID how the dimension of the wardrobe is calculated, I've been to 5 different IDs and 3 of them calculate in the rip off manner.

It really depends on what you want, there's no hard and fast rule as to which furniture "should definitely" be built in and which "should" be bought...built in furniture saves space and utilise wasted spaces that off the shelves furniture can't achieve. For wardrobes, if you want to have L-shaped, the only way is to customise.

As for TV consoles, there are shops selling very nice and sleek consoles nowadays, so not necessarily need to customise unless you are planning to have feature wall to wall mount your TV.

ya, Air is quite rite. many furniture store got nice & value for money tv consoles. juz need to take your time to go and look see look see.

I personally think any other carpentry is a ripoff..

Other than kitchen which I don't really have a choice (Cabinets - with granite top $7000) ,

I quite regret what I've made for

my study room (bookshelves and tv console $1080)

my living room (TV console $960 - just one simple rack with 2 drawers),

my living room (TV feature wall - $1680 - just to hide some wires??)

I could well be paying 1/2 of what I paid for if I were to get something similar ready made from some furniture store.

Did you mention L shaped wardrobe?

It's is calculated in a strange manner ... the corner was calculated twice. My calculation was 9 feet, but ID's calculation was 13 feet. ($3000+) In the end I drop the L shaped idea and stuck to a plain 7 feet ($1800).

Quite a few things are optional, you have to decide for yourself if you want to pay that kind of amount for carpentry.. Perhaps the only consolation is that .. you are getting plywood instead of MDF board or chipboard (if you buy cheap from some shop_

wah, you sure is rich... coz your carpentry sounds so ex... :dancingqueen:

we didnt do any wall feature coz kinda waste money and space, coz we tot if next time want to shift tv place (if feature wall is to be put behind tv), den how? coz i got a vy big hall, can put 2 sets of 5+2 seater sofas and still got place for day bed at balcony or can do a little platform there for kids and us to roll abt... :notti:

but you are quite rite. if buy cheap furniture from outside, you can see the wood is quite flimsy, esp if you look at the wardrobe, most of the board at the back are flimsy (when you use your hand to try to push it back from the inside of the wardrobe, you will know what i mean). and also the layer of wood for you to stack your clothes etc. cannot tahan the weight and will kinda get bended. i hv bought such a wardrobe (small one) to use to store my bedsheets etc. at my old and it kinda bend after long usage and heavy weight.

TS, you should examine what are your needs first

do you have specific requirements that off-the-rack items might not meet

or are you a rosewood lover like some of us here

that'll help decide whether to go for carpentry items

for me, kitchen cabinets must be customised coz i want ALL drawers

BR wardrobes too coz i only have a 6ft space, and trunkings run all over the wall

so off-the-rack ones will not fit in

bought ready-made bookcases coz i love rosewood and no one in singapore does built-in bookcase with rosewood

as in there's no carpenter in singapore who is willing to do it :ph34r:

think about how you want your home to look like

and do you have the luxury of space

that'll help in your decision :wub:

:sport-smiley-018: me also rosewood lover but cannot buy too many, wait hse look vy much like Beijing Emperor's hse...

ya, kitchen cabinets need to customise, no choice. but you can do with wooden cabinet + concrete slab with tiles (for sink and cooking area) which will be cheaper. abit like old pattern coz my folks hv this but really its sturdy, gd quality, and value for money.

but all the advice by all the forumers above are vy gd. and also depend on wat is your budget and does it cater to your need or vice versa.

list your basic requirements and den list down alternatives. Den find the prices and compare which is more feasible.

Hi hi,

We also thinking of whether to buy or to do built-in carpentary works. But after weighing the pros and cons, we decided to take quite some items out and it actually lowered our quotation by around $5k - $6k.. We went around and the market and really alot of ready-made furniture at lower cost and nicer designs..

Air, we will be doing feature wall, but not necessary need to customise the tv console also right? Or is it a must??

Not necessarily need to customise TV console. Can buy ready made ones....i suggest you don't do whole pieve feature wall from top to bottom, do only half...save money too....dun have too much built in furniture...cos cost alot of $$....

BR wardrobes too coz i only have a 6ft space, and trunkings run all over the wall

bought ready-made bookcases coz i love rosewood and no one in singapore does built-in bookcase with rosewood

as in there's no carpenter in singapore who is willing to do it :sport-smiley-018:

that'll help in your decision :dancingqueen:

Yup agree....:ph34r:

To add, many furniture can be bought ready made. Go recee and reserach around the different shops and you will be surprised what you can find..:notti:

as in there's no carpenter in singapore who is willing to do it :sport-smiley-018:

that'll help in your decision :dancingqueen:

I personally think any other carpentry is a ripoff..

Other than kitchen which I don't really have a choice (Cabinets - with granite top $7000) ,

I quite regret what I've made for

my study room (bookshelves and tv console $1080)

my living room (TV console $960 - just one simple rack with 2 drawers),

my living room (TV feature wall - $1680 - just to hide some wires??)

I could well be paying 1/2 of what I paid for if I were to get something similar ready made from some furniture store.

Did you mention L shaped wardrobe?

It's is calculated in a strange manner ... the corner was calculated twice. My calculation was 9 feet, but ID's calculation was 13 feet. ($3000+) In the end I drop the L shaped idea and stuck to a plain 7 feet ($1800).

Quite a few things are optional, you have to decide for yourself if you want to pay that kind of amount for carpentry.. Perhaps the only consolation is that .. you are getting plywood instead of MDF board or chipboard (if you buy cheap from some shop_

Hello,

I'm currently looking for IDs and giving them my requirements. Initially, I wanted to have a built-in TV console, storage like Book shelfs etc. But pple advised that it's much cheaper to get TV console outside. Generally, built-in TV consoles by IDs cost me abt $900. So i took the advice from pple to get store-bought ones (tho I haven found nice ones yet ... still early..)

Question is what furniture shld be built in and what furniture shld be bought from outside? I suppose wardrobes definitely must be built in? Cost abt $2,500 for Lshape wardrobes. Also going to built in shoe cabinet..

what do you think?

Hi hi,

We also thinking of whether to buy or to do built-in carpentary works. But after weighing the pros and cons, we decided to take quite some items out and it actually lowered our quotation by around $5k - $6k.. We went around and the market and really alot of ready-made furniture at lower cost and nicer designs..

As for TV consoles, there are shops selling very nice and sleek consoles nowadays, so not necessarily need to customise unless you are planning to have feature wall to wall mount your TV.

Air, we will be doing feature wall, but not necessary need to customise the tv console also right? Or is it a must??

built in - saves space, looks beautiful. but costs 2 times or more, if damage....siao liao

ready made furnitures - can be expensive too, damage just throw.

Hello,

I'm currently looking for IDs and giving them my requirements. Initially, I wanted to have a built-in TV console, storage like Book shelfs etc. But pple advised that it's much cheaper to get TV console outside. Generally, built-in TV consoles by IDs cost me abt $900. So i took the advice from pple to get store-bought ones (tho I haven found nice ones yet ... still early..)

Question is what furniture shld be built in and what furniture shld be bought from outside? I suppose wardrobes definitely must be built in? Cost abt $2,500 for Lshape wardrobes. Also going to built in shoe cabinet..

what do you think?

It really depends on what you want, there's no hard and fast rule as to which furniture "should definitely" be built in and which "should" be bought...built in furniture saves space and utilise wasted spaces that off the shelves furniture can't achieve. For wardrobes, if you want to have L-shaped, the only way is to customise.

Hello,

what do you think?