Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Panasonic components is from Japan but assembly in Singapore. Point to note is that as Panasonic is a Jap co, thus they will also use Jap components only for their products.

yap ... and assembly at bedok there ....

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Depends on your sitting distance. If you're at the optimal sitting distance to distinguish fine details (and you're bothered by it) get full HD bah. If you're so far that it doesn't matter, (or so close you're probably spoiling your eyes) must as well just get hd-ready. Refer to this link for optimal sitting distance vs screen size: viewing distance graph

Better question to ask would be, "LCD or plasma better for SD viewing." The answer to which would be plasma most of the time.

hello, what does your graph mean?

mine is 42" plasma, so does that graph tell me 6ft best to see orange colours? :unsure:

mine is 42' plasma TV from hitachi..so far so gd.

Hi Deremi,

Just wish to check with you about your experience in purchases from Gain City..

How long ago you'd purchased from Gain City? Have you use the items you purchased?

How do you find the product they delivered ,price and the services?

Is it really what you see and what you get the brand new set in the end? ie they will not send inferior pdt such as display set? (heard that display set usually spoil easily)

Do you purchased first, paid in deposit then tell them the date of delivery once your house done up?

I usually travel alot so may not have the time so shop around happen to find the website of Gain City and I can order items from online.. ie, fridge, oven, aircon,etc.

I plan to order all my new house items from there but concern about the above pointers ..

Looking forward for your soonest reply and advise ; )

Doremon2009

trufaole@gmail.com

Saw an interesting article in Asiaone, so extracted to share with all... :paint:

How to shop for an HDTV

With different sizes, resolutions and functions, not all HDTVs are created equal. Do you need a "Full HD" TV or just a "HD Ready" one?

The answer is neither: both "HD Ready" and "Full HD" are general terms that might vary from country to country and are not sufficient enough in informing a potential buyer on the quality of the TV's image.

Read this complete guide to choosing the best TV for your needs and budget before you hit the stores shopping for one

Point 1: Size - BIG is not always better

How big is your room? If you have limited space in the room you're planning to place your new TV, a giant screen might not be the best for both your viewing pleasure and your eyes.

Large TVs in tiny rooms will dominate decor and instantly shrink the size of the entire space to a Lilliputian scale. The tricky part is, when viewing them in a spacious showroom like that of an electronics store or an IT fair, they don't look too big.

To make sure you don't end up with a too large (or too small) TV, make sure you take measurements of the area that you intend to place the TV, and the distance from where you intended to view it from.

Ideally, viewing distances should be something along the lines of this rough guide:

Screen Size --> Recommended Viewing Distance

26 inches --> 3.5' to 10.5'

32 inches --> 4' to 13'

37 inches --> 4.5' to 15'

40 inches --> 5' to 16.5'

42 inches --> 5.5' to 17.5'

46 inches --> 6.0' to 19'

52 inches --> 6.5' to 21.5'

Point 2: LCD, LED or Plasma?

There are three main technologies that you can choose from, with each one having it's own set of pros and cons.

Here's a simple breakdown:

LCD TVs

These are the most common HDTVs out there. The cheapest of the three, they are offer consumers of having a relatively thin, power-efficient and lightweight TV for a pretty good price.

LED-Backlit TVs

Also called LED-TVs, they offer consumers a better experience with brighter screens and often come thinner than their LCD cousins.

More expensive than LCD TVs, they might not be the best option in small spaces because of the significantly higher heat that the LCD diodes generate. Make sure you 'keep' them in a well-ventilated or cool space.

Plasma TVs

These TVs might look more expensive at the onset, but offer arguably the best picture quality and offer more value in the long run.

However, relatively inefficient power consumption might put consumers off, especially for those who spend lots of time in front of the goggle box.

Point 3: What is the difference between "HD Ready" and "Full HD"?

These numbers seem to be on the lips of every television salesman nowadays, so understanding what they mean would probably save you some time while discussing a potential purchase.

Numbers (720 or 1080) represent the number of pixels that your HDTV screen has. Since 720 or 1080 doesn't mean how many pixels your screen has in total but the number of 'lines' of pixels.

In a nutshell, the higher the number would mean more pixels and therefore an increase in the TV's ability to display more detailed images.

The letters "p" and "i" mean "progressive scan" and "interlacing" respectively. To make things simple, remember that progressive scan (p) is the better technology compared to interlacing (i), and results in a smoother picture.

If you're looking for an HDTV to play games in high-definition (such as those on the PS3) or to watch Blu-Ray movies, go for the highest available resolution at 1080p.

Should that TV set be one for Junior to replace that broken old CRT, getting one that is 1080i or even 720p would be pretty sufficient.

What is "HD Ready" and "Full HD"?

You might also come across terms like "HD Ready" and "Full HD" at stores. While figures like 1080p is an industrial standard measurement, terms like "HD Ready" are not.

A 1080i set can be considered "Full HD" in some countries, and all TVs which are able to display HD images (from the lower-end 720p to the best 1080p models) are all "HD Ready".

Before sinking in your hard-earned dollars into a new HDTV, make sure you get the actual industry standard HD resolution specifications from the retailer and check that against your needs.

Contrast Ratio

This term refers to how well an HDTV is able to display the colour black. There is no industry standard for contrast ratio measurements, but in general, plasma TVs have the best contrast ratio, followed by LED TVs and finally conventional LCDs.

Point 4: Internet-ready TVs, are they worth the extra dollar?

With the competition getting tough, manufacturers are adding more tech candy in the form of extra functions into their HDTVs.

One of the most common add-ons is the ability for screens to connect to the Internet. Some models are Wi-fi enabled and can even connect to popular photo and social networking sites and services like Facebook, Flickr and Twitter.

If you find yourself having to decide between paying more for an Internet-ready TV and getting one that doesn't have those functions for a little less, consider the amount of time you would spend on such services while fiddling with the remote.

Most of these online services can be accessed through the computer, and most DVD or media players can display digital photos and home videos on your screen without too much trouble.

Online services and Internet functions are still in a relatively early stage of development, so the general advice is to save a couple of hundred dollars and drop those for now.

:paint::paint::paint::paint::paint::paint::paint::paint::paint::paint::paint::paint:

SWIFT >> wow juz perfect summary for non-IT inclined forumers like myself !! PAWER !!

Based on this thread, think I will switch my Samsung LCD TV to the MBR and will get a new Plasma TV for living rm (TV, DVD, BluRay, PS3) ...

Waiting for the upcoming SITEX for Plasma + free BluRay or DVD player :P

Guest Goobii
SWIFT >> wow juz perfect summary for non-IT inclined forumers like myself !! PAWER !!

Based on this thread, think I will switch my Samsung LCD TV to the MBR and will get a new Plasma TV for living rm (TV, DVD, BluRay, PS3) ...

Waiting for the upcoming SITEX for Plasma + free BluRay or DVD player :P

Bro,

SMS me if you going... I also planning for a TV in my MBR ... haven't decide what to get....

if plasma tv supposedly gives best value for $, but is reflective in nature (er, especially if u view from the sides?)

so is the solution curtains to block it off or just put LCD? i was thinking plasma in hall & lcd in mbr, but someone was saying another way round. :bangwall:

if plasma tv supposedly gives best value for $, but is reflective in nature (er, especially if u view from the sides?)

so is the solution curtains to block it off or just put LCD? i was thinking plasma in hall & lcd in mbr, but someone was saying another way round. :bangwall:

Why would you want to view your plasma from the sides to begin with? Is the front being blocked?

Cheers

Why would you want to view your plasma from the sides to begin with? Is the front being blocked?

Cheers

er, sorry ta's not wat i mean. u know when u've guest coming over & usually they seated

all over e place, those who sit right in front of course not a problem, but there'll always be ppl who're at an

angle & also considering if daylight comes in (can't be having curtains drawn all e time also) i'm thinking in that

aspect. so any advise pls? :unsure:

er, sorry ta's not wat i mean. u know when u've guest coming over & usually they seated

all over e place, those who sit right in front of course not a problem, but there'll always be ppl who're at an

angle & also considering if daylight comes in (can't be having curtains drawn all e time also) i'm thinking in that

aspect. so any advise pls? :unsure:

Plasma is only reflective when its not turned on.

Having LCD/LED also do not solve the problem as daylight will add to the brightness of the panel.

The best is to have more curtains to hide away the sunlight. Or use a divider.

Cheers

ok, read through e pages & saw couple you tube clips. so in a nutshell,

plasma = better picture quality esp fast action movies & sports, suitable for darker rooms

LCD= softer images & for connection to gaming device/pc, suitable for brighter rooms

so ouch means if i wana get PS3 or hook up to pc, LCD or LED is e choice then??

then if i wana hook up to pc, i need HDMI cable correct?? :unsure: