Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

my only worries last time is, good old model ran out of stock, and replaced by higher end more expensive model...which is not necessary good...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
This depends on your requirements, room size and most important your budget.

Plasma

--------

If you watch a lot of SD local channel than definitely Plasma is much much better than LCD. True color reproduction is much better in Plasma screen.

If you are planning to watch lots of movies & sports then LCD cannot match the smoothness of the Plasma.

New Plasma these days are less likely to have burn-in these days due to improve technology & features. Image retention for a short while is possible though.

If budget allow then go for Pioneer (best screen & more customisation & calibration features...7G only 24p) otherwise can consider Panasonic (24/50/60p) or Samsung (higher contrast).

LCD

-----

If you need something smaller screen (less than 42inch) then only LCD.

If you need full HD resolution (1920 x 1280) then LCD is currently less costly.

P.S: Fully agree with what redbottle mentioned above.

If can wait then wait till Christmas time where there are many many new models launching and price should be very favorable on todays best screens.

went to Best and the sale person told me if i am getting the digital cable from starhub then watching local programme on the LCD will be as nice as plasma.....is it true??

a comment in HWZ forum on the hitachi 9500:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread....age=1&pp=15

Another common thing lots of people get suckered into

A fairly popular brand of TVs claims to be 1080 due to a ALIS technology

Actually it uses alternating displays of 540 lines to achieve this.

There are reports of flicker, but if you don't see them, the price for this brand is pretty VFM.

i can't find from the specs anything that mention abt this leh...

any expert here to comment??

went to Best and the sale person told me if i am getting the digital cable from starhub then watching local programme on the LCD will be as nice as plasma.....is it true??

you can ask that salesman to go back to sec sch to learn not to tell lies..

Digital cable and the old black box is the same quality...only think digital cable have is more information...and ability to have demand TV..

LCD is only nice on HD..ask him to show you LCD on channel 5...and then you compare with Plasma...then you will know..

also..dun be fooled by their "our signal have spitter...so not nice here"...

how they explain it look better on Plasma ? it's on dedicated signal ?

a comment in HWZ forum on the hitachi 9500:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread....age=1&pp=15

Another common thing lots of people get suckered into

A fairly popular brand of TVs claims to be 1080 due to a ALIS technology

Actually it uses alternating displays of 540 lines to achieve this.

There are reports of flicker, but if you don't see them, the price for this brand is pretty VFM.

i can't find from the specs anything that mention abt this leh...

any expert here to comment??

the thread starter is correct..buy what your eye can see..not what your mind can read..

see with your own eye...play with the set on display...check if your friends have this model and if anyone regret getting this?

haha

Totally agree with ekardo. Ask salesman to demonstrate his claims and make sure the similar setting and same source are used. Many people misunderstood by seeing those so nice no fast action scene and vibrant colors of the demo materials on the LCD display.

I have seen from the same source for HD channel & normal DVD and one of best 52" full HD LCD still cannot compares the color reproduction of Plasma (Pio 507) and on fast action or panning scenes there just no comparisons. Perhaps watching the HD DVD will have better details and slight edge over Plasma due to it's higher resolution but overall for movie experiences Plasma still better.

Maybe the next xbr range of LCD from Sony (schedule to launch in a few months time worldwide) should improve on this.

I'm looking for a 32" LCD for the bedroom...any good feedback & recomendation? Samsung R81 or Panasonic PV70/PV700? Thx

Edited by lifestyle

you can ask that salesman to go back to sec sch to learn not to tell lies..

Digital cable and the old black box is the same quality...only think digital cable have is more information...and ability to have demand TV..

LCD is only nice on HD..ask him to show you LCD on channel 5...and then you compare with Plasma...then you will know..

also..dun be fooled by their "our signal have spitter...so not nice here"...

how they explain it look better on Plasma ? it's on dedicated signal ?

the thread starter is correct..buy what your eye can see..not what your mind can read..

see with your own eye...play with the set on display...check if your friends have this model and if anyone regret getting this?

haha

thanks...so which brand & model is good for plasma? ......and which brand & model is good for LCD

thought of buying from comex asia this week :dunno:

Plasma

--------

I'm looking at Panasonic PV70 plasma model as it offer VFM with good picture (50PV70H = $3800 & 42PV70 = $2200). If you have the $$ then can consider the Pioneer 7G models made in Japan 507XG (around 5.8K). The 42" is around $???. Other alternative is the Samsung PS-50Q91H (RRP $6K).

LCD

-----

My choice will be:

32"

- Sony KLV-32U300A (RRP $1299), 1080p proccessing, 1 HDMI, PC input. Good picture generally. Made in Taiwan. VFM.

- Panasonic TX-32LX700M ($1599)

- Samsung AL32R81BX (RRP $2037), get $338 HN voucher + Samsung gifts incl $499 HT system. Nice design tv and usually have nice gifts.

46"

- Samsung LA46M81BX (selling at $6999 + freebies at HN Funan currently). This is full HD panel with the built-in tuner, 15,000 contrast ratio.

- Sony KLV46X200A ($6999 + $400 voucher at HN Funan currently). This was a hot full HD favorite last year but understand there will be newer model coming end of year. Nice design.

I'll be buying (Pio Plasma & 32" LCD) at Comex this Fri with a friend who also buying Pio Plasma so you can join us if you like. Maybe the more buyer the more bargaining power :bangwall:

Shows like Comex, Sitex (at end of the year) are generally cheaper than what is available in the retail shops and usually have lots of freebies throw in. So if you need one or thinking of upgrading then head down there...avoid weekends as definitely will frustrate you with jam crowds :sport-smiley-004: & parking :sport-smiley-004:

thanks...so which brand & model is good for plasma? ......and which brand & model is good for LCD

thought of buying from comex asia this week :yamseng:

Edited by lifestyle

Shows like Comex, Sitex (at end of the year) are generally cheaper than what is available in the retail shops and usually have lots of freebies throw in. So if you need one or thinking of upgrading then head down there...avoid weekends as definitely will frustrate you with jam crowds !! & parking :yamseng:

not really cheaper..... those they sell cheap is discontinued model..... can get even cheaper from neighbourhood shops....

Panasonic PV70 plasma & hitachi 9500 which is better cos think the price for 42" it's almost the same price

Pionner 42" will be around $2.2K??

:yamseng:

Yes you are correct alex regarding neighbourhood shops.

But what the big retails shops participating at these shows will usually give extended warranty and other perks and more convenients.

Shows like Comex, Sitex (at end of the year) are generally cheaper than what is available in the retail shops and usually have lots of freebies throw in. So if you need one or thinking of upgrading then head down there...avoid weekends as definitely will frustrate you with jam crowds :help: & parking :)

not really cheaper..... those they sell cheap is discontinued model..... can get even cheaper from neighbourhood shops....

I find the 50PV70 very good and almost close picturewise to the Pio 507 but have not compare extensively against Hitachi 9500 (as never really look at Hitachi). Which is better depends on the looks & feature you will use. Panasonic comes with 3yr warranty from Panasonic but i'm not sure about Hitachi (i heard previously it has also 3 yr)?

Read some owner have experiences some issues with the Hitachi 9500 ALiS flickering (when watching near, but not noticed when you sit 3-4m) but others don't.

The Pioneer 427 is 1080p/24Hz. Pansonic can also do 1080p/24Hz thru PS3.

Which ever model you really have to go watch the display panel with various sources to see if that is suitable for you. When comparing models best is to use the same source (Local channel, DVD, HD DVD, etc..) connected at the same time to view both screens. Best is try to ask the sale person to check what is the setting on the tv...most will have some setting (eg contrast) at the highest.

When buying display model make sure to write the serial number of the model you selected and check the number of hours used on the panel. Most (not sure about Hitachi) have the ability to see the service menu thru the remote.

Good luck.

Panasonic PV70 plasma & hitachi 9500 which is better cos think the price for 42" it's almost the same price

I don't think you can get at $2.2K for a brand new set of Pio 427. The 427 display model last week at HN Suntec was selling like $2899..so my guess is around $3K+ at retail shop now.

Pionner 42" will be around $2.2K??

:)

I find the 50PV70 very good and almost close picturewise to the Pio 507 but have not compare extensively against Hitachi 9500 (as never really look at Hitachi). Which is better depends on the looks & feature you will use. Panasonic comes with 3yr warranty from Panasonic but i'm not sure about Hitachi (i heard previously it has also 3 yr)?

Read some owner have experiences some issues with the Hitachi 9500 ALiS flickering (when watching near, but not noticed when you sit 3-4m) but others don't.

The Pioneer 427 is 1080p/24Hz. Pansonic can also do 1080p/24Hz thru PS3.

Which ever model you really have to go watch the display panel with various sources to see if that is suitable for you. When comparing models best is to use the same source (Local channel, DVD, HD DVD, etc..) connected at the same time to view both screens. Best is try to ask the sale person to check what is the setting on the tv...most will have some setting (eg contrast) at the highest.

When buying display model make sure to write the serial number of the model you selected and check the number of hours used on the panel. Most (not sure about Hitachi) have the ability to see the service menu thru the remote.

Good luck.

I don't think you can get at $2.2K for a brand new set of Pio 427. The 427 display model last week at HN Suntec was selling like $2899..so my guess is around $3K+ at retail shop now.

Hi lifestyle thanks for the advise..need to check the pan 42PV70 is it 1080p..it is neccessary to really get a 1080p for Plasma??

u getting the Pio 427?

No problem. trying to give as much advice as possible as i went thru a lot in understanding all the issues and it's a big investment so decide wisely. Hopefully will serve you for next 5-7 years without any major issues.

The 42PV70 is HD ready and accept 1080p at 50/60Hz and can do it at 24fps using PS3. So the same 24 as Pio but Pioneer cannot do 50/60.

Not necessary to get 1080p Full HD panel (1980x1280) unless you are sitting 1-2m away from the screen or got money to spent. If sitting too close to the non-full HD you will see pixation.

I will be sitting around 3-3.5m from my screen so most people at that distance will not able to see the difference between full HD & non full HD panel on a 50" screen. Even less obvious for smaller screen like 42".

If i was getting a 42" i would get Pio 427 for it's great picture once it's calibrated (and i have seen the professional calibrated picture and non-calibrated version and it's so much difference :dancingqueen: ), classy neat glossy design :deal: & ISF calibration (you need to paid extra for this service) features and other customisation on settings.

I'm looking for a 50" Plasma currently and although would like to have the 50" Pioneer 507XGS (with speaker on the two side) but i just cannot justified the price difference of $2.5K bewteen Pio & Panasonic 50PV70 and that a newer & more better Pioneer 8G model is launching in a few months time. So Pioneer 7G models will sure go down in price everymonth once the new Pioneer 8G model start arriving. So if u can wait and wants a newer (or cheaper older) Pioneer model best to wait a few more months ;)

Hope this info help.

:dunno:

Hi lifestyle thanks for the advise..need to check the pan 42PV70 is it 1080p..it is neccessary to really get a 1080p for Plasma??

u getting the Pio 427?

Edited by lifestyle

definately no issue with the ALIS for hitachi..who will watch 42inchy near anyway...

you either get headache or be prepared to wear thicker glasses...

Hitachi is definately a proven model...(at least for SD now...since I dun have HD to play with..)