Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
prodigic

Prodigic's Humble Little Abode

Hey I am back and I am getting frustrated.

Its been almost 2 weeks since my ID promised at the point of contract signing (6th Nov'07) that they will complete the renovations by the new year. My fiancee just got a call from him that the carpentry works will only be installed on next Wed, which is Jan 16th. Up till today, works has been very slow and it is agitating me. We have been pushing our furniture deliveries from start of the year, to next mid-week. Looks like now we have to push it back further.

I'd like to ask, which is the best option now?

1- Ask for some compensation or discount.

2- Push him to hasten the works.

3- Or be patient and wait till works are done.

I'm at the loss here. Anyone can offer me a good solution?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Its been almost 2 weeks since my ID promised at the point of contract signing (6th Nov'07) that they will complete the renovations by the new year. My fiancee just got a call from him that the carpentry works will only be installed on next Wed, which is Jan 16th. Up till today, works has been very slow and it is agitating me. We have been pushing our furniture deliveries from start of the year, to next mid-week. Looks like now we have to push it back further.

if you're in no hurry, no pt rushing.

just be patient, most imptly is things muz be completed.

Only when outcome or workmanship not up to your standard den start to make noise.

how much have u paid so far?

Yes agreed with ARCTURUZ.

If keeps on pushing him, the carpentry works might anyhow do.

Then more problems between you and your id.

So, now, guess unable to do much but to pray hard that your id can really deliver.

Did you id tell you the reason? Ask him why the delay.

Better stick to your option 3.

Anyway you still have another 4 weeks before cny......tell him that.

if you're in no hurry, no pt rushing.

just be patient, most imptly is things muz be completed.

Only when outcome or workmanship not up to your standard den start to make noise.

how much have u paid so far?

Edited by h4happy

grin and bear with it... later charge him "liquidated damages" for delaying so long. Any time frame stated in your contract?

suggest you wait & see. afterall they are still doing your house. remember must have "good terms" with them. don't make matter worse. talk to them nice nice. renov house must be happily. ok...

Hi Prodigic,

calm down ya..

year end period, estimated reno time is at least 2mths if there is alot of carpentry involved..

has ur carpenter measured all your carpentry already?

u see ah..this is roughly the time frame

1) measure carpentry --> 2) 1.5week later carpentry arrived --> 3) installation carpentry takes 4-5days --> 4) cabinet done, then measure kitchen cabinet top takes another 5-days --> 5) installation 1day

total carpentry can takes around at least 2.5weeks..

be patient and wait till works are done is a better choice.. :)

Ok guys thanks for the kind responses. I'll just grit my teeth and be patient.

With this I wanna extend my apologies to all who intend to come over my place for a view this weekend. The place is kinda bare without carpentry. I guess if as promised by my ID, next weekend will be a good time to drop by and have a look ok. So sorry neighbours!

@makemefly

No.. there's no stipulated time frame in the contract stated specifically.

I just want my home to be ready by the last week of Jan.

Hey PRO...no problems. We can wait for your final completion.

Probably your id are indeed very busy as most of the units are rushing to get it done before cny.

Just be a little bit patience and everything will be back on track again.

In the meantime, why not you visit other forum units and also chit chat with us if possible.

To release some stress and that will make you happy too.

Ok guys thanks for the kind responses. I'll just grit my teeth and be patient.

With this I wanna extend my apologies to all who intend to come over my place for a view this weekend. The place is kinda bare without carpentry. I guess if as promised by my ID, next weekend will be a good time to drop by and have a look ok. So sorry neighbours!

@makemefly

No.. there's no stipulated time frame in the contract stated specifically.

I just want my home to be ready by the last week of Jan.

ya, relax ok? hehe let u know ah, as a guideline for u,

binzz, xlan and mine all started reno at beginning Nov07. We are just almost done only. Binzz's just completed this week. Xlan gg to complete also. Mine is waiting for backsplash only, latest done by next mon or tomorrow.. so we all also took abt 2mths to complete cos now is festive season, many holidays in dec07

say if yours is 2mths, completion date will be around week of 21st ba...? also quite reasonable right? err hope u can feel better :)

for me, my reno only started beginning of dec, but the only carpentry work we have is kitchen and MBR wardrobe. No false ceiling, l box, feature walls or tv console. recently just finished reno. Within contractor/ ID's promised timeframe.

We were also worried abt delivery of furniture and electricals so we only started buying in the last 2-3 weeks.

Gd mrning MAKE

Wow, congrat! You have crossed the finishing line with flying colours!!

Can show us your kitchen cabinet? Hope you wont mind sharing your pic over here.

Many thanks!:dunno:!

HAPPY

for me, my reno only started beginning of dec, but the only carpentry work we have is kitchen and MBR wardrobe. No false ceiling, l box, feature walls or tv console. recently just finished reno. Within contractor/ ID's promised timeframe.

We were also worried abt delivery of furniture and electricals so we only started buying in the last 2-3 weeks.

ya, relax ok? hehe let u know ah, as a guideline for u,

binzz, xlan and mine all started reno at beginning Nov07. We are just almost done only. Binzz's just completed this week. Xlan gg to complete also. Mine is waiting for backsplash only, latest done by next mon or tomorrow.. so we all also took abt 2mths to complete cos now is festive season, many holidays in dec07

say if yours is 2mths, completion date will be around week of 21st ba...? also quite reasonable right? err hope u can feel better :dunno:

Yup, its about 2 months, my handover date is tomorrow.. All my carpentry up already.. Only waiting for touch-ups..

Firstly to @makemefly and @binzz, congrats on the completion. Got any open house? Can I come? :notti:

@h4happy, @yang guo and @nemofc, Yah thanks for the show of encouragement. :notti:

Seriously I was quite frustated before. The reason is simple. My ID was confident at the point of contract signing he will complete EVERYTHING and handover by end'07 or latest 1st week of Jan as per their time frame of 6 weeks. So ok lor, we went to search for furnitures, electrical appliances and made a delivery date at Jan 5. End of Dec came, not much done up, asked for explainations. He gave reasons of holiday period, lack of workers. When he said tat to find workers willing to do the job must top-up cash. I was like "wtf" sia. In my heart, "Its your problem lor, u supposed to tell ur contractor to do up lor with ur own $$ resources. In the end, he told us (me and my fiancee) tat he'll do up by Jan 15. We then called up the several deliveries to postpone to Jan 16th where I took leave liao, to clean up the home and all.

Yesterday was Jan 10. I know carpentry installation will take abt 7 days. And these contractors dun work on a Sunday. How the **** are they gonna complete and hand-over by Jan 15? My fiancee called him and asked him wats going on here. Yada yada carpentry not ready yet, will come around Jan 16 to install. Will be done by end of tat week. So much for applying leave on the 16th and cancelled it. Now feeling so paiseh to call other deliveries to push back the date. This time, I'll push back till end of the month just to be sure of any "unexpected" delays. So much for a promised 6 weeks completion from my ID.

After getting adv from u guys, gave him time to do up a proper one. And thanks to my friendly neighbours, I calmed down and feel blessed that our decision to stay in Jln Membina is a good one.

Thanks all for hearing me out...!

Firstly to @makemefly and @binzz, congrats on the completion. Got any open house? Can I come? :notti:

@h4happy, @yang guo and @nemofc, Yah thanks for the show of encouragement. :notti:

Seriously I was quite frustated before. The reason is simple. My ID was confident at the point of contract signing he will complete EVERYTHING and handover by end'07 or latest 1st week of Jan as per their time frame of 6 weeks. So ok lor, we went to search for furnitures, electrical appliances and made a delivery date at Jan 5. End of Dec came, not much done up, asked for explainations. He gave reasons of holiday period, lack of workers. When he said tat to find workers willing to do the job must top-up cash. I was like "wtf" sia. In my heart, "Its your problem lor, u supposed to tell ur contractor to do up lor with ur own $$ resources. In the end, he told us (me and my fiancee) tat he'll do up by Jan 15. We then called up the several deliveries to postpone to Jan 16th where I took leave liao, to clean up the home and all.

Yesterday was Jan 10. I know carpentry installation will take abt 7 days. And these contractors dun work on a Sunday. How the **** are they gonna complete and hand-over by Jan 15? My fiancee called him and asked him wats going on here. Yada yada carpentry not ready yet, will come around Jan 16 to install. Will be done by end of tat week. So much for applying leave on the 16th and cancelled it. Now feeling so paiseh to call other deliveries to push back the date. This time, I'll push back till end of the month just to be sure of any "unexpected" delays. So much for a promised 6 weeks completion from my ID.

After getting adv from u guys, gave him time to do up a proper one. And thanks to my friendly neighbours, I calmed down and feel blessed that our decision to stay in Jln Membina is a good one.

Thanks all for hearing me out...!

Hey prodigic,

Dun feel down, its really the peak period for the carpentry, for ours, its the same thing, waited 2-3 weeks for the carpentry and another 2 weeks for the installation, make sure u go to check on the first day of installation, cos if u find anything wrong, make sure u let your ID know immediately.

Hi PROD

Look at the brighter side...treat this incident as one of the off track renovation. Remember this, not all renovation is 100% sui sui good good. There bound to be somewhere off track. Good thing is yours is delay and not worksmanship.

So, cheer up and at the mean time, visit other forum unit lah.

Happy