Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
butterflykisses

Post Reno Blues :(

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

That is the problem with cheap Contractors or I.D firms that use cheap sub-contractors.

It all boils down to the $$$ factor.

Thats why the quotation is so cheap compared to others.

Cos these people use cheap sources. From cheap contractors who charge cheap prices, because they know they need to compete with the better contractors with better workmanship and quality.

Another factor is to consider the quality of materials used.

Cheap materials can cut costs.

Cheap Labour can also cut costs.

But the one to suffer is the end user. that is the owner of the house.

Prices should not differ much. But if its so much cheaper, have you wondered why?

Too cheap to be true? It probably is.

You decide for yourself.

Cheers!

That is the problem with cheap Contractors or I.D firms that use cheap sub-contractors.

Cos these people use cheap sources. From cheap contractors who charge cheap prices, because they know they need to compete with the better contractors with better workmanship and quality.

Prices should not differ much. But if its so much cheaper, have you wondered why?

You decide for yourself.

Cheers!

Agree with u...

Gd things never comes cheap, Cheap things never comes gd....

But, imagine in hospital, ppl from Ward A n Ward C took the same type of medicine, but paid diff price... Why?

(tis quote is from some where in tis forum, http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17599 ^^)

Its all depends on 1's view n luck. To compare is healthy, Compare too much will get high blood... ^^

Watch ur health ar... ^^

Edited by de_Pierre

Agree with u...

Gd things never comes cheap, Cheap things never comes gd....

But, imagine in hospital, ppl from Ward A n Ward C took the same type of medicine, but paid diff price... Why?

(tis quote is from some where in tis forum, http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17599 ^^)

Its all depends on 1's view n luck. To compare is healthy, Compare too much will get high blood... ^^

Watch ur health ar... ^^

Haha! I like the way you put it buddy.

The hospital part.

Very true indeed.

And yes, Good never comes cheap. Cheap doesn't come good.

You decide for yourself.

Cheers!

I don't agree with your words,

why some IDs charge expensive? because they have overheads to settle for e.g lucky draws, free gifts, advertisement and show rooms...I for one forgo all those things above and save about 6k in my renovation project with my current ID compare to other IDs quotation that I have compared and the work so far is **** good. I even use those hard to cut black crystal quartz tile to do skirting on my kitchen archway entrance and it was done knowing how difficult it is to cut. My feature TV wall is intricate and yet its bigger and cheaper than what is quoted by other IDs prior to my renovation. Maybe my ID use cheap laminate? I don't think so unless you say Lamitak is a cheap laminate company. Maybe my ID overcharge me? I made research through most of the threads here and I don't find evidence of quotations that were overcharged on me.

Ultimately it boils down whether you feel better to have expensive IDs quoting and making yourself believe that since you pay a lot means your renovation is the best it can be. A real life example is my wife's sister who did her renovation with Class** Design. Good marketing company I can say but when I look at her quotation, I knew she was taken for a ride. Can't blame her since she did not go to renotalk or even google to research. Probably don't know how many CM is 1 foot or how many inch equates to 1 foot that kind of things.

To sum it up, make your research and get the right contacts. Sometimes its cheaper because of a valid reason and its up to you to accept this reasoning.

You are correct at some points.

I have to agree on the part where you mentioned that some Big Players in the industry have overheads to cover.

And like you mentioned, its cheaper for a valid reason...

Sometimes, the "valid" reason could simply be that cheap labour and materials are used.

In your case, i believe your ID used good materials, as LamiTAK is of premium quality. Your ID may have not charged you expensive, but I believe its not dirt cheap either. I would say acceptable average price.

Unless you tell me your ID uses all good materials and charge you 1/2 the price of what others charge.

Haha! I like the way you put it buddy.

The hospital part.

Very true indeed.

And yes, Good never comes cheap. Cheap doesn't come good.

sounds like ppl who made such comments are too rich or are ID themsleves who wana make a living. But pls.. a decent living. Not one that see who can chop carrot and does it.

sounds like ppl who made such comments are too rich or are ID themsleves who wana make a living. But pls.. a decent living. Not one that see who can chop carrot and does it.

Speak for youself, look at the list of items you have listed below your signature.

All are of reasonable, if not good quality stuffs. Less your MIC Closet

I am in this industry BUT I am not an Interior Designer. You are causing offences to IDs in here.

OK Wow lets see...

Daikin sys 3 , Why not go for Mcquay? Cheaper

Frankel S/s Basin, why not get those Made in China / Taiwan?

Grohe stuffs not cheap either

Bravia W series 40' Is another good stuff, why not go select the cheaper range?

And lets see, WOW... Serta Louisana, Ikea has a large range at a much cheaper cost. But you know those stuffs are made of pinewood and chipboard.

Why don't you go for ALL the "cheap & good" stuffs?

There are many replicas made in China & Taiwan...

What about electronics? there are cheaper brands that serve the purpose, and some infact look quite nice. Some are even nicer than the expensive stuffs...

But you know they may not last as long as you expect. you knew it.

So reflect on youself before you post comments like that. Appreciate that.

Seems like maybe you were ripped off in a way or another, so thats why you feel sour.

Price cannot bluff, cannot run. To compare prices, why not compare materials first?

Btw, if one already has a concept or design in mind, don't engage an ID.

Engage a contractor instead. It will be much cheaper. But there will not be anyone to oversee and manage the jobs other than youselves. Not a big problem.

While IDs sell you the concept / Idea and manage your project.

People compare prices between IDs and contractors. IDs price can never beat the contractors'. So the engaging a contractor will be cheaper of cos.

Contractors do the same old thing over and over again. They are most familiar with their trade.

Those nice homes you see in magazines are not designed by contractors! they are designed by IDs! But work done by contractors, with the ID to oversee the work.

Get the idea?

So if you already have an idea on how to do ur house... You can play the part of the ID.

Hope it helps.

Do not confuse IDs with Contractors.

Cheers

Edited by cruz