Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Guest threasher

Should We Plaster Groove Lines On Wall?

Guest threasher

Our flat was renovated more than a year ago. Recently we realized that the contract included plastering the groove lines on the walls. So I called the renovation company, and one painting guying called me and suggest that we don't plaster the groove lines because they will crack later anyway. He said that if it cracks, it will look worse. So should we listen to him? What is the purpose of the groove lines?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Our flat was renovated more than a year ago. Recently we realized that the contract included plastering the groove lines on the walls. So I called the renovation company, and one painting guying called me and suggest that we don't plaster the groove lines because they will crack later anyway. He said that if it cracks, it will look worse. So should we listen to him? What is the purpose of the groove lines?

Could they be useful in expansion and contraction under S'pore heat?

We got the groove line to, it is indeed for heat expansion/contraction. But we went ahead and plaster it anyway coz my wife hates the groove looks.

and i believe the groove lines actually demarcates the walls that can be hacked and cannot be hacked

at least that was the case for my flat

i went ahead and patched them coz i prefer the smooth wall look :P

If we ask them to plaster the groove lines, will they crack later?

plaster again lor .. it will be a few years before anything happen...

If we ask them to plaster the groove lines, will they crack later?

Unless got earthquake? Hehehe

No la...most important the plastering must be done properly...should not crack that easily one. even if crack, it is just hairline cracks which can be covered up easily by paints.

i was also told it wld crack after sometime due to expansion and contraction.

are we able to DIY the plastering if it shld have cracks?

really considering of plastering the grooves for only some parts of the house...

I remembered my contractor told me that if done properly, there should not be cracks. He said something about filling the grooves with silcone first then plaster materials outside.

And yes, the groove lines are because of prefab, not for expansion or contraction or demarcation. I think new flats nowadays do not have such lines anymore, maybe they had already plastered for us or improved their prefab technology.

hmm..sounds logical. since sillicon can allow expansion and contraction better than normal plaster, concrete.

anyone familiar can comment more? :dribble:

hmm, so prefab was the method all along for hdb?

coz my previous home which is more than 20yrs have groove lines wor

thought prefab is a relative new way of building hdb flat???

at least for my current home, the groove lines demarcates which wall can hack and which cannot ;)

Patrick from Ho Bee told us that the groove lines were designed for expansion n contraction but newer flats HDB built doesnt come with the grooves now. not really sure how true. have to ask super new flat owners.

guess HDB found a better way to deal with expansion n contraction of the wall.

Edited by redates