Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
big orange

Bedok Central

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I think this should be enough for a start. Too many = headache :dunno:

Maybe your neighbour is my dad :P . Which floor did you get?

my neighbour is a Malay Family, diagonally opps think it is still empty

Dear all,

in case you didnt notice there is actually a proposed layout of the whole flat in the electrical diagram in the circuit breaker. i.e. what is put where.

FYI

cktaxn5.th.jpg

Edited by herbman76

sorry i didnt.

Actually another couple went with me.

prehaps they can shed some lights?

we quite like the design of the door entrance, where he laid pebbles...my bf thought it was a brilliant idea, as it gives a resort feel. Overall, the deco of the house was quite plain, nothing much to rave about. However, the guy was really friendly and patient with our numerous questions. Workmanship wise was not bad, the build-in wardrobe in the master bedroom was pretty nice and rather affordable. I think he mentioned it was around $1.2k? Experience so far with him was gd. :thumbs up:

Hi all,

Who are not doing?

1. Feature wall

2. TV console

3. Shoe cabinet

4. WIW

5 Divider at door area

I am thinking whether I should do all these. Can a house look as good without all these? The above is actually quite dollar sucking.

Any t-blog which show nice design even without all these?

Thanks

we quite like the design of the door entrance, where he laid pebbles...my bf thought it was a brilliant idea, as it gives a resort feel. Overall, the deco of the house was quite plain, nothing much to rave about. However, the guy was really friendly and patient with our numerous questions. Workmanship wise was not bad, the build-in wardrobe in the master bedroom was pretty nice and rather affordable. I think he mentioned it was around $1.2k? Experience so far with him was gd. :thumbs up:

So how your other contractor? Is it as good and cheap?

Hi all,

Who are not doing?

1. Feature wall

2. TV console

3. Shoe cabinet

4. WIW

5 Divider at door area

I am thinking whether I should do all these. Can a house look as good without all these? The above is actually quite dollar sucking.

Hey big orange,

We're planning to skip the feature wall and tv console. Instead, we're planning to get one of those tv console cabinet as we don't intend to mount the tv and also, future hubby is a game freak so we'll need loads of storage to store his game consoles as well as our dvd collection.

The shoe cabinet is a question mark at the moment. FH is a game freak, I'm a shoe freak, I need storage for my shoes. Haha! So still considering our best option for this.

Hey big orange,

We're planning to skip the feature wall and tv console. Instead, we're planning to get one of those tv console cabinet as we don't intend to mount the tv and also, future hubby is a game freak so we'll need loads of storage to store his game consoles as well as our dvd collection.

The shoe cabinet is a question mark at the moment. FH is a game freak, I'm a shoe freak, I need storage for my shoes. Haha! So still considering our best option for this.

I want to save money, but dun know can save = not nice home?? i dun know.

big orange: We initially also said we wanted to keep things simple. But after browsing through some home portfolios from the blogs recently, my heart itchy itchy leh. Some feature walls & shoe cabinets quite nice. We most probably won't go for the WIW, in the first place, don't have that much clothes to do a WIW, and it takes up unnecessary space. As it is, the house not so big already. You however, might wanna consider the divider at the door thingy, from a fengshui perspective, that is. Heard from a friend that if your door opens and you see the window, it's best to keep a divider from the door to the window.

Something like the money comes in from the door and you do not want it to leak out to the window. Hhahaa, I don't know how true it is, but just something I heard. My suggestion to you is this: If you are under budget constraints, settle the basic first. Get good flooring, kitchen cabinets, and painting. These things can last you for a while. Next time, as you all are more comfortable financially, then you can still improve on stuff by building divider, tv console, WIW and what's not, those can do bit by bit. As for electronic components, again, if under budget constraint, settle for an average one first, no need to get the best for everything and then end up in loan.

What's the point of having the best for everything and then slog so hard everyday, not being able to enjoy the things you purchased, right?

seraphinee: Aiyoh, your hubby sounds like my hubby! He's got the PS3 lah, Wii lah, PS2 lah and whatever not. Looks like we gotta custom-made a console to fit all those 'toys'. But the TV still can mount right? I presume if your hubby is a gamer like mine, he'll want a big HDTV?

My hubby once said before, try not to have those kinda consoles that frames up your TV, best is just have the console like one rectangular block and you can place your stuff and mount the TV on the wall. Reason being, the frame constricts the space around your TV psychologically, then no matter how big your TV, no use. If you have lots of DVDs, I strongly suggest you do up a bookcase and comes with drawers.

You may not think of it now but seriously, having furniture with a lot of drawer compartments is very useful. Such as dining table, coffee table etc. Sometimes, you just have some things lying around and you don't know where to place them, you can always place them in the drawer first.

To Everyone: Can I ask if anyone's planning to redo the toilets huh? I understand the tiles are all there already and so is the toilet bowl and wash basin. I saw it at a showflat the last time round. I recalled the tiles were like pale yellow? Does anyone recall if it comes with patterns on the wall? Re-doing toilets cost a lot of money also and I was told that we are not allowed to change the toilets in the first 5 years? Is it true? How about kitchen huh? Did the kitchen come with wall tiles? Sometimes, I really prefer they come as an empty shell then at least can leave it to our creativity.

To Everyone: Can I ask if anyone's planning to redo the toilets huh? I understand the tiles are all there already and so is the toilet bowl and wash basin. I saw it at a showflat the last time round. I recalled the tiles were like pale yellow? Does anyone recall if it comes with patterns on the wall? Re-doing toilets cost a lot of money also and I was told that we are not allowed to change the toilets in the first 5 years? Is it true? How about kitchen huh? Did the kitchen come with wall tiles? Sometimes, I really prefer they come as an empty shell then at least can leave it to our creativity.

hi cacky,

huh, u serious? i thot it's empty ley and i rather it's empty so able to save some $$$ on hacking sigh...

bt i intend to change da toilet bowl and toilet sink..

Edited by mocchi

Hi all,

Who are not doing?

1. Feature wall

2. TV console

3. Shoe cabinet

4. WIW

5 Divider at door area

mE!

Not doing 1, 2 and 4 - As my wife and I are tv addicts, we decided to ban ourselves from having tv. We also do not have a lot of clothings.

3, 5 Maybe.

Whether a house looks good is subjective as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. From observing friends around me, there are a few things you would want to think about in reaching your decision...

a) the effort requires to maintain the look of the house - I have some friends that have houses like showrooms but to reduce the effort of maintaining their houses, they even go to the extent of avoiding people from visiting them as it can really cause a mess and requires a lot of cleaning up after a gathering.

b) your priority in rooms allocation - if you plan to have children in future and that you would not move to a new house in the short to mid term, you may want to allocate rooms for them. Then it would be a matter of deciding if a WIW is really required and takes precedence over housing your children.

c) is the design child-friendly - if you plan to have children in future and that you would not move to a new house in the short to mid term, you may want to factor in this when designing your house. E.g. any edges that are low and potentially dangerous for children learning to walk? Or glass features that can withstand multiple knocks etc.

There are probably more considerations... other might want to add.

It is quite common to see couples going through the following lifestyle changes...

Young, happily married. 二人世界 . Nice house with great design.

Things started to accumulate over the years (so must plan to have more storage spaces).

Arrival of children, less time to maintain house (get a maid or DIY), more time spend on looking after the kids. Houses get more crowded with a lot more items added because of growing family needs.

Just something to think about....

Nice site with some interesting designs http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/scc.php

Edited by LimeGreen

cacky The toilet and kitchen indeed comes with floor + wall tiles + basin + tap + mixer + shower head. :o Ya, the rule is 5yrs cannot hack, if u wanna do only way is overlay. mocchiBasin maybe can change, but bowl of coz cannot change coz it'll involves hacking.

HDB original tiles u can buy from 220A the HDB office, was told the price was expensive. That is used to do fridge base etc.. to use back the same tiles. Or u can always choose a different tile, it's up to you. Remb to tell your contractor!!

LimeGreen: I totally agree with what you say!!! Makes a lot of sense. Coz getting a place is not like a wedding event, where it'll last a day and that's it. It's a place you have to consider staying for a while, even if you decide to move, it'll be 5 years later, so that'll still take you a while. And during these 5 years, kids may come along. Then what? So it's important to be practical. Especially in the allocating of the rooms and the choice of furniture. Eh, so you serious about not getting TV at all in your house??? Sure or not???

mocchi: Yeah, just like what hihihi shared. **** xien ... coz when I saw the sample toilet the last time, it looked really demoralizing.

hihihi: Pardon me for being a noob at this. When you mean basin can change but bowl cannot change, what do you mean huh? What is the difference leh? So let's say if I decide to change into a squarish bowl and maybe want to build a cabinet around it, issit possible? I heard that overlaying in the long run has problems. It's always better to hack and the relay the tiles. *sigh* Looks like we gotta be stuck with this ugly toilets for a while.

cacky

- basin is basically hang on the wall by a support on the wall, so got chance u can change and even relocate (maybe exposed piping coz floor cannot hack).

- MBR toilet basin and Common toilet basin layout are different:

--> MBR toilet basin if u do the square, possible, but careful don't eat into the already limited space shower space, if u planning to do shower screen. Unless u do a shower curb. Coz the space is abit tight. Shower space is right beside the basin.

--> Common toilet square basin possible, but will be abit blocking the way. When u open the door, u see the basin, if u change to square, maybe more hindle.

- toilet bowl totally cannot hack coz it's cement to the ground. Ground, being waterproofing done, 200% sure won't allow u to hack.

Golden rule: floor, cannot hack.

Hi all,

Who are not doing?

1. Feature wall

2. TV console

3. Shoe cabinet

4. WIW

5 Divider at door area

Thanks

So how your other contractor? Is it as good and cheap?

still waiting for the other quotation, will take 2 wks cos he is really busy at the moment. Btw, the name is call E Huat, is a contractor not ID. but his workmanship wise is good. Will view some of his work after the qoutation.

Actually I feel you don't really have to follow the trend now to have feature walls and all. Its up to individual, and I think a house can look really nice w/o those as well. I personally feel that lights and the furnitures plays a more important part. I will put more lamps and floor rugs around...

hihihi: Thanks for the detailed explanation! I blur earlier, when you mentioned bowl, I wasn't thinking of toilet bowl but the basin bowl. That's why I asked what's the difference. But if bowl means toilet bowl, then definitely makes sense cannot hack. I hope the toilet bowl provided is good quality though (as in flush). I don't mind a white toilet bowl, just hope it works well lor. Since it's provided by HDB, then if spoil, we look for HDB can? :notti:

tfujiwara8: Yeah, I agree. Sometimes furnishing and lighting and colors of your wall play a part in making your room look good.

big orange: I'd suggest you browse through ID mags, maybe you've already done that, to get some ideas and then show to your contractor. Sometimes, the nice designs don't have to be that expensive. Each home is subjective. Most importantly, consider what you and your other half envision your home to be. Maybe pick out a few characteristics you want your place to be and then move on from there. Remember ... work on the basics first. The rest can slowly add on. You have your lifetime to beautify the place.

HDB original tiles u can buy from 220A the HDB office, was told the price was expensive. That is used to do fridge base etc.. to use back the same tiles. Or u can always choose a different tile, it's up to you. Remb to tell your contractor!!

Who told u the price was expensive?

bathroomfloortilesxe2.th.jpgkitchenwalltilespu7.th.jpgtoiletwalltilesuj2.th.jpg

$1 per piece expensive???

kitchenfloortilesur5.th.jpg

Then $2 per piece is exorbitant!

floortilessa7.th.jpg

$6 per piece is DAYLIGHT MURDER!

Edited by DSA