Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ene

Help! Samsung 40" Tv Is Not That Clear After All. What's Wrong? :(

Hello to all,

We just received our 40" Samsung (Series 5) tv at our new place last week and after the electrician connected up everything, we noticed that the picture quality is very bad. We can tell what's showing, of course but it's very pixelated. And this is a 30,000:1 contrast ratio tv?

Are we doing anything wrong? Or rather, is there anything we can buy/do to improve picture quality? Would changing to a better quality (i.e. "24K gold") tv cable wire help?

Any suggestions/help will be much appreciated. Thanks! :(

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

haven't own an LCD b4. But heard it is like that when u watch normal TV channels on LCD. It'll only be clear if u watch DVD and above on LCD then will be super sharp. So trying playing some DVD and see first. Those shopping mall all shop clear clear picture is bcoz they all play DVD, noticed they never play Channel 5/8 those channels.

Hello to all,

We just received our 40" Samsung (Series 5) tv at our new place last week and after the electrician connected up everything, we noticed that the picture quality is very bad. We can tell what's showing, of course but it's very pixelated. And this is a 30,000:1 contrast ratio tv?

Are we doing anything wrong? Or rather, is there anything we can buy/do to improve picture quality? Would changing to a better quality (i.e. "24K gold") tv cable wire help?

Hi

You said your pix quality is bad. What source are u watching from? TV pix or DVD pix?

Have you start using the manual to calibrate the settings?

Cheers

Hello to all,

We purchased a full HD LCD TV recently also.

When we first plug the TV on and tuned to a free-to-air channel. The picture quality was very bad. We thought there was something wrong with TV. By chance, we adjusted the contrast, brightness, and other settings and managed to get a decent picture quality.

For my Sony TV, the Sony tech came to install and set up the TV channels for me. If really cannot adjust, can call Samsung up to ask for help?

You got to be kidding right?

Thanks so much for all your replies. Last night, we went to Harvey Norman (where we bought the tv from) and spoke with the sales guy. He recommended that we get the "Monster" cables for the tv as well as for the dvd output. We did both and last night, went home to try. He also shared that normal tv is using analog and if we are using a full HD tv, it needs to be converted so that the output pic quality is HD quality.

Aiyoh, so cheem! :bangwall:

The dvd picture quality improved quite bit so that's settled. The tv cable point did not fit (doh!!) so my fiance has to go get it changed today. We'd try and see how it goes.

When we first plug the TV on and tuned to a free-to-air channel. The picture quality was very bad. We thought there was something wrong with TV. By chance, we adjusted the contrast, brightness, and other settings and managed to get a decent picture quality.

Thanks for the tip. We'd try that tonight to see if it gets better.

how is the dvd quality?

DVD quality was better than the tv quality, even when we used the "normal" cables. But with the new cables, a lot better now. No issue with dvd.

You said your pix quality is bad. What source are u watching from? TV pix or DVD pix?

Have you start using the manual to calibrate the settings?

We're on cable so we're using AV1. The "normal" tv pic quality on the "normal" channel is also quite bad.

You got to be kidding right?

You misunderstood my msg. I am proposing ene to ask Samsung technical support for help on his TV, not on my TV. My TV is working fine because it is set up by Sony personnel. So I ask him to get Samsung tech for help on his Samsung TV.

I am proposing ene to ask Samsung technical support for help on his TV, not on my TV. My TV is working fine because it is set up by Sony personnel. So I ask him to get Samsung tech for help on his Samsung TV.

Yes, if all else fails, I will call the Samsung helpdesk :)

If u r watching free to air channel 5 and channel 8, u cannot expect the images to be as good like those display in electronics shop, SD programme come in 480i / 480p or 586i / 586p.

What we always see in those LCD display is at least in 720p.for full HD tv, the best is tested with a bluray players with 1080p or u can see those starhub HD channel to see the differences.

Oh...you should not have bought the overpriced Monster cables...

When you say the picture is not clear, what program were you viewing at that point of time? If it is free-to-air channels (5, 8 U, Central, CNA etc) that you are connecting using the normal cable point, then picture quality has nothing to do with the TV but the outdoor antenna. I myself face bad picture quality for these channels since I do not subscribe to SCV.

If you have SCV, then your TV should be connected to the SCV box using at least the composite (yellow-video and red/white-audio) but if there is component connections (red/blue/green-video) then that will give the best picture quality.

The TV manual will be a good start to figure out the right and best connections to use for optimal picture quality.

contrast ratio does not equate to picture quality.

LCD TV will always look worse than plasma TV which will look worse than CRT TV for free to air channels.

To get better TV reception, get a upscaler or a HD set top box.

If you have SCV, then your TV should be connected to the SCV box using at least the composite (yellow-video and red/white-audio) but if there is component connections (red/blue/green-video) then that will give the best picture quality.

Yes, I believe this is already done but let me check when I go home. Will probably also go home and study the tv manual! :unsure:

To get better TV reception, get a upscaler or a HD set top box.

Yes, this was recommended to us by the HN salesguy but it's soooo expensive! It's like $399, I believe. And after spending so much on the house renos, electrical items, etc, it is hard pressed for us to fork out the $399 now. We'd see how it goes. Maybe in the next couple of months, when we're not eating grass ( :sport-smiley-004: ), we can consider getting that box thingy.

Edited by ene

:jawdrop::jawdrop: wow i got the same model with you but due to deliver only in early july...how ah? didnt know so much also leh, just know that the LCD was clear when we are at the showroom..buy LCD liao still need so many cables meh?? :jawdrop::jawdrop: